Home | Community | Message Board

Phytoextractum
Please support our sponsors.

Community >> Physical and Mental Well-Being

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineViolet Wizard
Violet Prisoner
Male

Loc: Nothing and Nowhere
Going to the dentist
    #24898080 - 01/08/18 09:50 AM (14 days, 2 hours ago)

So its been about 7 years since I went to a dentist for any type of cleaning and though I do maintain brushing my teeth are still terrible. What sparked this whole thing was one tooth on the good side of my mouth broke :frown: So I realized that id have to use the bad side which would break really quickly. I made an appointment after getting some kind of weird dental discount card from Aetna (an insurance provider in the US) and the first place i called took it.

Well i told the woman on the phone theres plenty of issues but im not in so much pain i need to be seen instantly so the appointment was made for 1/11/18. I broke a second tooth yesterday and still not even the worst one.

As best i can tell ill need a bridge maybe 2 or a bridge and a root canal or 2 root canals and an extraction... and those are just because i have 4 noticeably fucked ones. I dont mind the concept of pain, especially dental pain, getting 4 wisdom teeth taken out and 2 cut out wasnt bad but that was when i had insurance and lived with my parent, the real pain is the bill. I am estimating about 4-6 thousand dollars depending on what needs to be done.

But all that aside i get to go get x-rays in 3 days. I am so glad i made the appointment as soon as the first tooth broke and i just thought "well its not the abscess i thought would kick off the thing but oh well.

Moral of the story, 1000-2000 for the work 3 years ago seems like a pittance, take my advise and go before you are evaluating which side of your mouth to chew with. I also have a decent tolerance for pain without blood especially the dull kind even fast sharp pain doesnt bother me so dental works fairly easy. Dont wait like I did

--------------------
Promise me to pass the time. Dance with me on plastic tears. Kiss me, we won’t feel alone, till morning when we disappear.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineMorel Guy
Stranger
Re: Going to the dentist [Re: Violet Wizard]
    #24898148 - 01/08/18 10:49 AM (14 days, 1 hour ago)

Get a cleaning once a year.  I go at the end of this month.  Fact is that gum disease is related to heart disease.

I even brush my dogs teeth.  He's over 6 years old now and still hasn't had a professional cleaning.  They put them under for that, so that's a bit risky as they get older.

--------------------
Nike made me do it

OfflineViolet Wizard
Violet Prisoner
Male

Re: Going to the dentist [Re: Morel Guy]
    #24898154 - 01/08/18 10:56 AM (14 days, 1 hour ago)

Former drug addict who hasnt had insurance for 5 years. To be quite honest I cant really afford to go considering ill have to pay for each procedure. The difference is now im starting to spit up teeth, two in 4 days actually  :tearchalice:  I'm going to maintain from now on though because i do like the dentist i just cant afford it most of the time.

The nice thing is im not a drug addict and have culled all of my extra expenses down to almost nothing so if someone actually wants to go over my finances and discuss options i have nothing to hide. So for once I can go "my take home is about 1600 a month, i pay out 800 on living expenses excluding food, travel, and laundry... so each month i get about 600 dollars thats mine, id be willing to pay X a month" Where as years before it would have been heroin, thats all 110% of my take home goes to :grin:

--------------------
Promise me to pass the time. Dance with me on plastic tears. Kiss me, we won’t feel alone, till morning when we disappear.

Offlinechibiabos
Cosmic Pond Scum
I'm a teapot

#24898774 - 01/08/18 05:19 PM (13 days, 18 hours ago)

Not sure how long it's been since my last teeth cleaning, but it's definitely been a few years at the least.  I brush twice a day and floss every couple of days, at the most infrequent, though.  I also need to replace a broken retainer (not that my teeth haven't moved since getting rid of my braces).

I could definitely stand to spend a little bit of money on my teeth right now, methinks.

OfflineViolet Wizard
Violet Prisoner
Male

Re: Going to the dentist [Re: chibiabos]
    #24898853 - 01/08/18 05:54 PM (13 days, 18 hours ago)

^ To be honest I was never too much of a twice a day brusher unless i was going out at night. Now I have stuff everywhere and brush my teeth 2 or 3 times a day. The only thing i want to stress is I have been trying and i was never too into soda, maybe candy when high but ive been largely sugar free for a year now.

If I can stress any point its dont be like me. I dont mind my heroin addiction and crack smoking past even the recent spell of alcoholism isnt bad. If there was one thing i truly regret in this world is letting my mouth get so bad i wake up at 3am and worry about it, i can take care of my bills etc... the one thing i have to worry about is my teeth.

Former heroin addict for years, smoking crack, didnt get a degree for my 4 years of college work a go nowhere dead end place that over works me... yet the only regret is my teeth :sad:

--------------------

Offlinechibiabos
Cosmic Pond Scum
I'm a teapot

#24898895 - 01/08/18 06:09 PM (13 days, 18 hours ago)

I really don't eat much in the way of sugar either.  It's actually pretty awesome.

OfflineViolet Wizard
Violet Prisoner
Male

Re: Going to the dentist [Re: chibiabos]
    #24899075 - 01/08/18 07:34 PM (13 days, 16 hours ago)

^ that much I 100% agree with. You don’t realize how much sugar is in our diet until you try to avoid additive sugars. I drink 99% water and eat real fresh foods about 75% of the time. My younger brother became a body builder / nutritionist after going to prison basically (won a regional physique award this year 18 months after getting out of “the clink” as he likes to put it. He reallly instilled in me sugar is like cocaine and it’s everywhere... I count calories too because I like data as a scientist lol

I do think the diet of sugar and acidic beverages has a lot to do with it, my teeth issues run in my family but too many Americans eat 200g of sugar a day without realizing it personal goal for me is less then 60g including fruits but excluding carbs obviously

--------------------

InvisibleOrgoneConclusion
You are under arrest!
Male User Gallery

Loc: Urban Jungle
Re: Going to the dentist [Re: Morel Guy]
    #24900621 - 01/09/18 02:20 PM (12 days, 21 hours ago)

Quote:

Get a cleaning once a year.

I went over 30 years between cleanings. The dental hygienist told me that I must have had them done twice a year for years on end. When I told her otherwise, she was shocked. :whoa:

--------------------

InvisibleCrazy_Horse
I'm Moe Greene!
Other User Gallery

Loc: Hampsterdam
Re: Going to the dentist [Re: OrgoneConclusion]
    #24900727 - 01/09/18 02:59 PM (12 days, 21 hours ago)

Did you make another appointment in 30 years?

OfflineViolet Wizard
Violet Prisoner
Male

Re: Going to the dentist [Re: Crazy_Horse]
    #24907245 - 01/12/18 09:30 AM (10 days, 2 hours ago)

Well I went to the dentist yesterday... it wasnt as bad as i thought it would be. Its still a lot of work and probably multiple thousands of dollars across months of visits, if i can afford it all in one go. So the actual diagnoses is one extraction on a tooth that was already root canalled and is decaying on the bottom into the jaw bone. One or two root canals, they have to open and explore one of the teeth to see if it is able to be filled. And like 10 normal fillings. Its not a big deal these things happen and i have always been susceptible to cavities even though i brush at least once a day.

Oh well I will just maintain from now on, i am happy with this :grin:

--------------------

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Community >> Physical and Mental Well-Being