Home | Community | Message Board

High Mountain Compost
Please support our sponsors.

Feedback and Administration >> Shroomery News Service

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Seeds Store Buy Cannabis Seeds, Medical Cannabis Seeds   MushCult - Live Mushroom Cultures Black morel (Morchella importuna) live culture on agar, Edible and Medicinal Mushroom Cultures on Agar   Amazon pH Test Strips, Terrence McKenna

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
InvisibleYthanA
ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ
Male

Loc: NY/MA/VT Borderlands, USA Flag
Pineapple Fund Offers $4 Million Matching Grant to MAPS * 5
    #24905353 - 01/11/18 01:30 PM (9 months, 2 days ago)

Pineapple Fund Offers $4 Million Matching Grant to MAPS
maps.org
See previous related story

Santa Cruz, Calif.—Today, the Pineapple Fund, founded by an anonymous cryptocurrency philanthropist, announced that it will match, dollar-for-dollar, the next $4 million in contributions to the non-profit Multidisciplinary Association for Psychedelic Studies (MAPS). The purpose of the match, which expires on March 10, 2018, is to inspire others to complete funding for MAPS' upcoming Phase 3 clinical trials of MDMA-assisted psychotherapy for the treatment of posttraumatic stress disorder (PTSD).

The Pineapple Fund will match all new donations to MAPS for Phase 3 trials in US dollars or cryptocurrency, up to $4 million in Bitcoin (BTC). If this funding challenge is met in gifts, grants, and multi-year pledges, MAPS will have raised sufficient funds to complete its Phase 3 trials.

The Pineapple Fund's motivational match comes just one month after their December 14, 2017, gift of 59.89 BTC to MAPS, initially valued at $1 million, part of its plan to give away over $86 million in BTC to charities and causes around the world.

"PTSD is a severe condition that affects everyone from sexual assault survivors to military veterans," wrote "Pine," the Pineapple Fund's founder. "Existing treatments have so much room for improvement, and MDMA-assisted psychotherapy has shown great promise. We're offering the matching grant because we think the psychedelic and cryptocurrency communities can work together to finish funding Phase 3 clinical trials."

The cryptocurrency community's generosity has helped catapult MAPS' fundraising efforts for Phase 3 clinical trials. On December 18, 2017, several days after announcing the Pineapple Fund's first gift, MAPS received a second large donation of 51.54 Bitcoins from another anonymous donor. Then, on December 20, MAPS received 88,000 Lunyr (LUN) tokens worth over $769,000 from yet another anonymous donor.

MAPS estimates that Phase 3 clinical trials will cost $26 million. With $17.3 million already raised or pledged, MAPS still needs $8.7 million to make MDMA-assisted psychotherapy legally available to millions of people suffering with PTSD. As a non-profit with no government funding for psychedelic research, MAPS relies on contributions from individuals, businesses, and foundations.

Phase 3 clinical trials of MDMA-assisted psychotherapy for PTSD will begin in Spring 2018, and will enroll 200-300 participants across 16 sites in the U.S., Canada, and Israel.

In August 2017, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) granted Breakthrough Therapy Designation to MDMA-assisted psychotherapy, acknowledging that it "may demonstrate substantial improvement over existing therapies." If MAPS receives the necessary funding and the trials show positive results, FDA approval is expected by 2021.

"The Pineapple Fund's support is a dream come true," says Rick Doblin, Ph.D., founder and executive director of MAPS. "With no funding available for these trials from government agencies or major medical research foundations, legally available MDMA-assisted psychotherapy for PTSD will indeed be a gift to the world from the psychedelic science and cryptocurrency communities."

MAPS was an early supporter of cryptocurrency donations, first accepting Bitcoin donations in December 2013. MAPS currently accepts cryptocurrency donations in Bitcoin, Bitcoin Cash, Litecoin, Ethereum, and LUN.

Cryptocurrencies use encryption and digital technologies called blockchains to create an anonymous, distributed, peer-to-peer monetary system that is resistant to censorship and fraud, limiting the need for third parties and associated fees.

About MAPS

Founded in 1986, MAPS is a 501(c)(3) non-profit research and educational organization that develops medical, legal, and cultural contexts for people to benefit from the careful uses of psychedelics and marijuana. Since its founding, MAPS has raised over $47 million for psychedelic therapy and medical marijuana research and education. For more information, visit maps.org.

MAPS-sponsored clinical trials are conducted by the MAPS Public Benefit Corporation (MPBC), a wholly owned subsidiary of MAPS formed in 2015 for the special purpose of balancing social benefits with income from legal sales of MDMA, other psychedelics, and marijuana. For more information, visit mapsbcorp.com.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleDark_Star
train driver pervading a desktop
Male User Gallery

Loc: Carson City, Wentzylvania
Re: Pineapple Fund Offers $4 Million Matching Grant to MAPS [Re: Ythan] * 2
    #24905497 - 01/11/18 03:30 PM (9 months, 2 days ago)

This is really sick & deja vue of sorts as well. Things get done when they get money behind them. That's what's happening with cannabis legalization, and I expect to see normalization & legalization of the therapeutic use of psychedelics within the next decade or so. I honestly expect the general attitude/approach to drugs in general to really change. That's already begun. It's pretty obvious that the status quo is an abysmal failure. This is also interesting, because  back in the early days with psychedelics in western culture there was also a fair amount of rich folks funding the research, as well as the underground.

--------------------
Hungry dogs run faster

OfflineFractal420
Psycellium
Male User Gallery

Re: Pineapple Fund Offers $4 Million Matching Grant to MAPS [Re: Dark_Star]
    #24907269 - 01/12/18 09:44 AM (9 months, 2 days ago)

I used to do some volunterring just for the resume, a summer or two (free cannabis cup entry and a free rec! Why not, sling some McKenna books and novelty blotter art). Some dude came up to us, and asked for a psychedelic sample lol

I will say, MAPS has some awesome people at the helm, but theyre trying to work with big pharma and i dont know my true thoughts on what theyre trying to do. Btw, at the time, psilo treatment wasnt really talked about, all the hype was about schedule 2 mdma for ptsd.

Which i think is an inferior medicine to psilo personally

And its pretty much all "rich folks" funding it, like from upper east side NYC, or SF.

--------------------
Dreaming of That face again.
It's bright and blue and shimmering.
Grinning wide
And comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes.

Prying open MY third eye

OfflineMorel Guy
Stranger

Re: Pineapple Fund Offers $4 Million Matching Grant to MAPS [Re: Fractal420]
    #24913594 - 01/14/18 03:46 PM (8 months, 30 days ago)

I don't know.  There seems to be a whole heck of a lot of simple folk out there that just don't want to complicate their life with educated opinions.  It's much easier to believe the horseshit propaganda then be educated.

I'd rather they learn something about the mind than just state facts like 'oh this drug seems to mitigate suffering in such in such situations'.  It's not very enlightening.

--------------------
All comments by Morel Guy are fictional opinions and nothing legally binding therein.

OfflineFractal420
Psycellium
Male User Gallery

Re: Pineapple Fund Offers $4 Million Matching Grant to MAPS [Re: Morel Guy]
    #24915001 - 01/15/18 06:41 AM (8 months, 30 days ago)

Simple folk?

Simple folk need not even read about the science. If they wanna be simple and dont care. However, fuck the white rich guy lectures about what receptors LSD affects and why you should donate

MAPS isnt overly complicated or anything, but what theyre doing is gonna help pharm companies if it works, which, its been years already. And im hearing less and less about mdma, seems they switched to just psilo?

I think if it worked out, it might have side effects. Like perhaps spores wouldnt be as easy to get at the behest of Big pharma

Id rather have clean natural cube spores than a couple premade psilo doses

--------------------
Dreaming of That face again.
It's bright and blue and shimmering.
Grinning wide
And comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes.

Prying open MY third eye

OfflineMorel Guy
Stranger

#24915336 - 01/15/18 11:37 AM (8 months, 30 days ago)

Ultimately it's about nature and who owns it.  Intellectual ownership, legality of ownership, rights to use nature for whichever reason.

I'm guessing the Christian right is more for synthetic drugs that don't make a lick of sense to them than some plant.

--------------------
All comments by Morel Guy are fictional opinions and nothing legally binding therein.

Invisiblepablokabute
Hari ng Amag
 User Gallery

Loc: rural ghetto
    #24917361 - 01/16/18 03:30 AM (8 months, 29 days ago)

Quote:

Fractal420 said:
I will say, MAPS has some awesome people at the helm, but theyre trying to work with big pharma and i dont know my true thoughts on what theyre trying to do. Btw, at the time, psilo treatment wasnt really talked about, all the hype was about schedule 2 mdma for ptsd.

Which i think is an inferior medicine to psilo personally

You know whats up :P

--------------------

Fermented Mushrooms!!
--- https://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/23378638/fpart/1/vc/1

'The second seal: “All CONTAMINATED things and events are unsatisfactory.”'

"I envy you. You North Americans are very lucky. You are fighting the most important fight of all - you live in THE HEART OF THE BEAST."

--Anonymous Guerilla, or is he..

Offlinelosfreddy
Composter
Male User Gallery

Re: Pineapple Fund Offers $4 Million Matching Grant to MAPS [Re: pablokabute]
    #24923460 - 01/18/18 05:10 PM (8 months, 26 days ago)

Whoever this guy is, he's been donating mad :money:

--------------------
Quit reading my mind!

OfflineFractal420
Psycellium
Male User Gallery

Re: Pineapple Fund Offers $4 Million Matching Grant to MAPS [Re: Morel Guy]
    #24924887 - 01/19/18 07:03 AM (8 months, 26 days ago)

Quote:

Morel Guy said:
Ultimately it's about nature and who owns it.  Intellectual ownership, legality of ownership, rights to use nature for whichever reason.

I'm guessing the Christian right is more for synthetic drugs that don't make a lick of sense to them than some plant.

Synthetic drugs approved by big pharma. Otherwise its a "bath salt". Lol
They have definitely successfully polarized the image of grey-area psychs.

In the UK, I believe the law is "if it gets you high, its illegal"

In the US, we actually dont have anything like this. Not all of Pihkal/Tihkal was banned as a whole. In fact half of Tihkal is technically legal probably. I think alot of it really is pharma interest. Maybe thats why theres so much less real ketamine around (thats a game theyve long been trying to get into, and there are already clinics in big cities that will give you a legal K-hole "infusion" for like $500). prohibiton in america is totally driven by $, which is ironic and counterproductive

On top of funding the Al Capones, it funds terrible legal corruption such as the prison industrial complex
Big corporations want in on that opioid money, as well as just the legal cannabis money which isnt so different really, if these are the interests running it. Like any state that offers medical marijuana but no actual marijuana

Invisiblebadchad
Mad Scientist

#24925596 - 01/19/18 02:17 PM (8 months, 25 days ago)

Quote:

Fractal420 said:

MAPS isnt overly complicated or anything, but what theyre doing is gonna help pharm companies if it works, which, its been years already. And im hearing less and less about mdma, seems they switched to just psilo?

What will happen is MDMA will have a legal avenue for clinical use. The development schedule is much further ahead for MDMA than psilo, as they just had their end of phase 2 meeting for MDMA.

--------------------
...the whole experience is (and is as) a profound piece of knowledge.  It is an indellible experience; it is forever known.  I have known myself in a way I doubt I would have ever occurred except as it did.

Smith, P.  Bull. Menninger Clinic (1959) 23:20-27; p. 27.

...most subjects find the experience valuable, some find it frightening, and many say that is it uniquely lovely.

Osmond, H.  Annals, NY Acad Science (1957) 66:418-434; p.436

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: Original Seeds Store Buy Cannabis Seeds, Medical Cannabis Seeds   MushCult - Live Mushroom Cultures Black morel (Morchella importuna) live culture on agar, Edible and Medicinal Mushroom Cultures on Agar   Amazon pH Test Strips, Terrence McKenna

Feedback and Administration >> Shroomery News Service