Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   OlympusMyco.com Sterilized Grain Bag   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Invisiblehamloaf
Pork Block
Male User Gallery

Loc: ation is turned off.
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Poll: Do you case your bulk cubes [Re: mushpunx]
    #24903602 - 01/10/18 05:19 PM (6 years, 3 months ago)

That's not a casing.  That's one of the two meanings of a pseudo-casing.

--------------------

How I Get Stuff done. - My Reference Guide. - My Grows.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinemushpunx
Fungus Punk
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Poll: Do you case your bulk cubes [Re: hamloaf]
    #24903740 - 01/10/18 06:32 PM (6 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

hamloaf said:

Is it pseudo casing because its coir and not a proper casing mix?
Or because I put it on when I spawn

--------------------

Amateur Mycologists United
AMU Q&A

InvisibleMateja
 Unread Journal User Gallery

Loc: Here
    #24903745 - 01/10/18 06:34 PM (6 years, 3 months ago)

I think it´s because a proper casing layer need pasteurization and a top layer of coir doesnt require that so that´s why it´s not really a casing layer. At least this is how I understand it so far.

--------------------
Cakes inside Water Tub

OfflinecronicrFacebook
 User Gallery

Loc: Van Isle Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #24903758 - 01/10/18 06:45 PM (6 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

mushpunx said:
Quote:

hamloaf said:

Is it pseudo casing because its coir and not a proper casing mix?
Or because I put it on when I spawn

A combo of the two...a casing layer will give the micro climate right on the subs surface, a top layer is more less just part of the sub

--------------------

It doesn't matter what i think of you...all that matters is clean spawn

I'm tired do me a favor

Offlinemushpunx
Fungus Punk
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Poll: Do you case your bulk cubes [Re: cronicr]
    #24903766 - 01/10/18 06:53 PM (6 years, 3 months ago)

I gotcha. Originally I was putting down a peat/verm mix on right after spawning my tubs but I switched to coir because its less work.
I like the coir layer better

--------------------

Amateur Mycologists United
AMU Q&A

OfflineBuriedFugu
The Clever Ruse
Male

Re: Poll: Do you case your bulk cubes [Re: hamloaf]
    #24903954 - 01/10/18 08:29 PM (6 years, 3 months ago)

I cased, and I regret it. Why? Was a waste of time. Annnd I noticed for whatever reason my cambodian tray looked fugly as hell. Still pinned and was able to harvest. I had purple mystics that did okay.

I will never use casing on cubes, never again.

Quote:

hamloaf said:
Furthermore, adding a casing will not act as a contam barrier.  It's the other way around actually.  Anytime steps into the cultivation process are added vectors for contamination are opened up.

This makes sense, and is now another reason as to why I will avoid casing.

InvisibleMateja

Re: Poll: Do you case your bulk cubes [Re: BuriedFugu]
    #24904048 - 01/10/18 09:05 PM (6 years, 3 months ago)

There is actually no reason at all to "avoid" a top layer of coir. It acts like a protection making sure the substrate doesnt dry out too quickly. It is much more set and forget than without  top layer. Really no need to shy away from or see it at something bad or negative to avoid :stoned:

--------------------
Cakes inside Water Tub

OfflinecronicrFacebook
 User Gallery

Loc: Van Isle Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Poll: Do you case your bulk cubes [Re: Mateja]
    #24904123 - 01/10/18 09:32 PM (6 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Mateah said:
There is actually no reason at all to "avoid" a top layer of coir. It acts like a protection making sure the substrate doesnt dry out too quickly. It is much more set and forget than without  top layer. Really no need to shy away from or see it at something bad or negative to avoid :stoned:

Set n forget is more chamber related as far as i am concerned

--------------------

It doesn't matter what i think of you...all that matters is clean spawn

I'm tired do me a favor

InvisibleMateja

Re: Poll: Do you case your bulk cubes [Re: cronicr]
    #24904169 - 01/10/18 09:45 PM (6 years, 3 months ago)

If you have shoe boxes dub tubbed inside a grow area with a harsh dry climate like I do cause I have to heat the entire place up, then a top layer will spare you a lot of mistings and you could even go out of town for 3 days and  not having to worry about your surface conditions. This is what I call set and forget. Misting every third day very lightly and nothing else besides that. A casing layer will also allow you to mist heavier without damaging the mycelium.

But I get what you are referring to is a dialed in tub, and that´s what makes it set and forget. When you have a perfectly dialed in tub you can skip the top layer and fruit without having to mist even once. But most growers don´t have their tubs dialed in to the perfection. Not yet at least :stoned:

--------------------
Cakes inside Water Tub

InvisibleMad Season
hookers and blackjack
 User Gallery

Loc: Canada Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Poll: Do you case your bulk cubes [Re: Mateja]
    #24904610 - 01/11/18 12:01 AM (6 years, 3 months ago)

I agree with others that casing generally will have no real benefit to the mushrooms, but makes the growers life potentially easier. What I don't get is people blaming contams on casings. Was it pasteurized improperly or something? Casings don't generally contaminate when done right. Dirty spawn 99% of the time causes contamination before first-2nd flush.

--------------------
contam and car window art
How to shroomery like a pro! (Seriously, everyone read this!)
Improve your sterile techniques! (A comprehensive guide to agar)
Links upon links of literally EVERYTHING UP TO DATE

AMU Q&A
No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

InvisibleLemurLemur
Pray for Boog
 User Gallery

Loc: Drinking on the roof Flag
Re: Poll: Do you case your bulk cubes [Re: psilocyanide]
    #24904627 - 01/11/18 12:23 AM (6 years, 3 months ago)

I've played with both, i suedo case with a very thin layer of coir and other with jiffy, what i noticed is a coir sheet makes it knot like crazy and does normal stuff you'd expect and a late jiffy casing makes less fruits but bigger. They're weren't done with a true iso just a clone.

--------------------
(when my data is fast play Lemur in chess at chess.com)[ [gradient:#D40B29,#18C418]Any1 expecting a trade from me i havent forgot about you pinky promise, i fr promise shits just shit rt now[/gradient]

OfflineDavieDonna
Stranger

Loc: Shattered Heavens
Re: Poll: Do you case your bulk cubes [Re: LemurLemur]
    #24904817 - 01/11/18 05:35 AM (6 years, 3 months ago)

No casings for me, I go in raw.  Had my best success with no casing layer.

OfflineBuriedFugu
The Clever Ruse
Male

Re: Poll: Do you case your bulk cubes [Re: cronicr] * 1
    #24905191 - 01/11/18 10:14 AM (6 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Mad Season said:
What I don't get is people blaming contams on casings. Was it pasteurized improperly or something? Casings don't generally contaminate when done right. Dirty spawn 99% of the time causes contamination before first-2nd flush.

How I understood it was that it does not promote contams necessarily, but let's say you used a casing, and your grow became contaminated. Was your spawn/sub prep not done properly, or was it your casing? At this point in the game, since we know that casings for cubes are unnecessary we can leave it out. For me this kind of like a process of elimination.

Luckily I have no contamination in my grow. I ordered my spawn/sub/casing from a trusted source, and everything has worked great. Besides my cambodians, like I said, look fugly as hell. Still fruiting fine, but fugly compared to my purple mytics. I'm curious how my grow would have looked without the casing. Im still beginning this cultivation journey, and next time will do without casing.

Quote:

cronicr said:

Set n forget is more chamber related as far as i am concerned

I agree with this. If you are having to use casing on your cubes to make your grow easier, then what is your fc like? I have seen set-ups on here that where peoples fc struggle to hold appropriate rh levels. With low rh, you may find yourself needing to mist more since the moisture levels across the surface of your sub are dying out quicker than expected in order to compensate for the dry climate inside the chamber. At this point, you could use casing, but without appropriate rh your fruits will still struggle to breath.

In the end do what is most comfortable for you and your setup. No one is saying to not use casing, just you dont need casing. If you're confident in your preparations, satisfied with your grow, and you use casing then keep at it.

InvisibleMad Season
hookers and blackjack
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #24905460 - 01/11/18 01:05 PM (6 years, 3 months ago)

I know we can leave it out. My point is that casings don't contaminate. Leave a jar of casing after it's been pasteurized out for a good month. It should not contaminate. At least when I do the experiment with both coir and peat based casings it won't contam. And I open the jar and cough into it every so often as well. If you are getting contams, your weak ass myc shit the bed til the point it can't fight off invaders anymore. To me that means that the network is weakened (generally because of bacteria at first)and that is generally from bacterial spawn, since bacteria has a hella hard time to grow in substrates, it's rarely a concern in bulk colonization and growth. Granted there's other ways for contaminants to grab hold of the colony in bulk like excess moisture in the sub or what not, but once you're at the point you have full coverage, you case and it contaminated, the reason is because the colonly was weak af, and I'd argue it wouldn't have lasted even if it wasn't cased.

--------------------

AMU Q&A
No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

OfflineBuriedFugu
The Clever Ruse
Male

Re: Poll: Do you case your bulk cubes [Re: Mad Season]
    #24905486 - 01/11/18 01:26 PM (6 years, 3 months ago)

"Leave a jar of casing after it's been pasteurized out for a good month" <- That was my point. There is always room for error when preparing anything (such as pasteurizing casing). To say in general that casings dont contaminate, without including the detail about pasteurization could get confusing for someone who has no expeirence. Casing can contaminate if not pasteurized efficiently. I mean, you said it in your original comment. I wasn't disagreeing with you. Only trying to be more specific.

InvisibleMad Season
hookers and blackjack
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #24905598 - 01/11/18 02:15 PM (6 years, 3 months ago)

Learn to pasteurize properly and you won't be questioning things. That's the point of doing lots of pasteurizations. Get the practice so you know you did it right.. If you get contams, again it wasn't because of the casing. It was because of the colony being shit. If you failed the pasteurization, that means you should be practicing more anyways. The answer wouldn't be to stop trying it. Casings are just as good as without. If you aren't able to make it work with casings, try some more. That's what I did. My first casing attempt was shit but I wanted to master it anyways. I love switching it up and there's always new things you can be trying to master.

--------------------

AMU Q&A

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   OlympusMyco.com Sterilized Grain Bag   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck