Home | Community | Message Board

Magic-Mushrooms-Shop.com
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Invisibletdubz
Male User Gallery

Colorado Passes a Milestone for Pot Revenue * 1
    #24897138 - 01/07/18 06:17 PM (6 years, 2 months ago)

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=http://money.cnn.com/2017/07/19/news/colorado-marijuana-tax-revenue/index.html&ved=0ahUKEwiii8SJmcfYAhUb24MKHZB6D7EQjjgIJDAA&usg=AOvVaw1fhY_0WLJfHNfm7Qnq1L6k

Colorado passes a milestone for pot revenue

By Aaron Smith
Jul 19, 2017

New York  (CNNMoney) - Colorado has harvested half a billion dollars in taxes and fees since it legalized recreational weed.

VS Strategies, a pro-legalization research company in Denver, says the state has pulled in $506 million since retail sales began in January 2014. That includes taxes and fees from medical marijuana, which was legalized years earlier, but the vast majority of the revenue came from recreational.
Colorado was the first state to legalize recreational weed, so its market is the most mature. And lawmakers and entrepreneurs in other states, and other countries, look at Colorado as a measuring stick.

Revenue from taxes and fees has increased each year, from $76 million in 2014 to $200 million last year, and the state is on track to beat that this year, according to VS Strategies, which used state revenue data in its report Wednesday.

Colorado has spent most of the money on schools, the research company says. Smaller chunks have gone to drug prevention and treatment programs and to regulating the marijuana industry.
State revenue officials told CNNMoney they had not calculated their own total revenue summary since recreational pot became legal.

Related: Marijuana legalization: 10 things to know

Colorado legalized medical marijuana in 2000. The state applies a 2.9% sales tax to those sales, plus license and application fees.

Recreational marijuana, also known as adult-use, is taxed more aggressively. In addition to the sales tax of 2.9%, the state charges an excise tax of 15% and a special sales tax of 10%, plus license and application fees.
Marijuana advocates often tout tax revenue as justification for making the drug legal. But because legal recreational pot is so new, it's been difficult for states to project how much tax revenue will result from legal sales.

Related: Nevada issues first marijuana delivery licenses
Oregon, Washington, Alaska and Nevada also have retail markets for marijuana, but they lag behind Colorado's.

Pot shops opened in Washington in July 2014, and in Oregon in October 2015. Last year, pot tax revenue totaled $256 million in Washington and $60 million in Oregon, in the same year that Colorado brought in $200 million, according to VS Strategies.

Alaska opened its market in October last year, and Nevada just started selling recreational marijuana on July 1. California, Maine, Massachusetts and Washington, D.C., have also legalized recreational marijuana, but retail sales have not begun.
Medical marijuana is legal in at least 29 states.

© 2018 Cable News Network, Inc
A Time Warner Company
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisibletdubz
Male User Gallery

Re: Colorado Passes a Milestone for Pot Revenue [Re: tdubz]
    #24897271 - 01/07/18 07:33 PM (6 years, 2 months ago)

So to spark some discussion, why do you guys think Colorado was the first to recreationalize?

What took California so long even though they had medicinal since the 90s?

What kind of figures will it take for the border states to do the same and do they pose their own unique challenges being border states? Arizona, New Mexico, and Texas despite some having medicinal marijuana.

OfflineKonyap

Loc: Planet Piss
    #24897742 - 01/08/18 12:58 AM (6 years, 2 months ago)

They used to have an event every year at one of their colleges on 4/20
so many people there the campus police couldn't do anything just people getting high

Offlinemusiclover420
psychonaut
Male User Gallery

Loc: PNW
    #24898073 - 01/08/18 07:42 AM (6 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

tdubz said:
So to spark some discussion, why do you guys think Colorado was the first to recreationalize?

What took California so long even though they had medicinal since the 90s?

What kind of figures will it take for the border states to do the same and do they pose their own unique challenges being border states? Arizona, New Mexico, and Texas despite some having medicinal marijuana.

It probably took so long due to the negative stigma of getting baked for fun. Even some fairly conservative people have conceded to the medicinal value with the overwhelming evidence.

It's a lot easier to look down at "hippies" getting baked for fun then it is veterans looking to relax and rest or help their PTSD, or kids dealing with seizures.

There's also the whole "think of the kids" argument, when something is medicine people probably like to link it's abused less then recreational substances.

--------------------
Don't worry about me, I've got all that I need. And I'm singing my song to the sky

You know how it feels, With the breeze of the sun in your eyes. Not minding that time's passing by

I've got all and more, My smile, just as before. Is all that I carry with me

I talk to myself, I need nobody else. I'm lost and I'm mine, yes I'm free

Invisibletdubz
Male User Gallery

Re: Colorado Passes a Milestone for Pot Revenue [Re: musiclover420]
    #24898305 - 01/08/18 10:59 AM (6 years, 2 months ago)

Woops I posted the wrong article the one I meant to post just had updated tax revenue for the entire year of 2017 in Colorado broken down by county. Pretty much the same as this one but more detailed.

InvisibleDark_Star
train driver pervading a desktop
Male User Gallery

Loc: Uranus
    #24899492 - 01/08/18 09:19 PM (6 years, 2 months ago)

A lot of growers voted against legalization early on, cause they were only worried about their bottom lines. Honestly, with the whole attitude that "we're more progressive than anyone else", I'm happy that California wasn't the first or even in the first 3 states to legalize weed. Irony mahfuckas.

--------------------

Invisibletdubz
Male User Gallery

Re: Colorado Passes a Milestone for Pot Revenue [Re: Dark_Star]
    #24899518 - 01/08/18 09:25 PM (6 years, 2 months ago)

I can understand that people are greedy inherently and want their money but by holding out recreationalizing Californians are missing out on the bigger picture which is full legalization throughout the U.S.

Offlinemusiclover420
psychonaut
Male User Gallery

#24899788 - 01/09/18 01:01 AM (6 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

tdubz said:
I can understand that people are greedy inherently and want their money but by holding out recreationalizing Californians are missing out on the bigger picture which is full legalization throughout the U.S.

But we shouldn't blindly rush towards legalization assuming it will be better.

A lot of legalization has been geared towards big businesses, if we aren't careful all the small time growers could get muscled out by huge corporate grows.

Federal legalization would be amazing, but it has to be done right. Otherwise it won't really benefit us as much as it could.

--------------------
Don't worry about me, I've got all that I need. And I'm singing my song to the sky

You know how it feels, With the breeze of the sun in your eyes. Not minding that time's passing by

OfflineBig Worm
Perf
 User Gallery

Re: Colorado Passes a Milestone for Pot Revenue [Re: Dark_Star]
    #24901840 - 01/09/18 08:47 PM (6 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

Dark_Star said:
A lot of growers voted against legalization early on, cause they were only worried about their bottom lines. Honestly, with the whole attitude that "we're more progressive than anyone else", I'm happy that California wasn't the first or even in the first 3 states to legalize weed. Irony mahfuckas.

I see things from both angles.  Being open minded as well as a grower and someone in the marijuana industry.

Large medical and recreational grows have had a significant impact on the price of marijuana and extracts due to intense competition and just larger financial resources, which especially effects the small time growers that have made a living off of it for a very long time. 

I've seen prices in weed drop in half in CO in the past year.  Extracts almost the same.

Yes, this is good for your average consumer.  Cheaper medicine to people.  But it usually comes with some consequences.

You can relate this conflict to say, Wal-Mart being placed in a town, running Mom & Pop stores out of business.  Not that all dispensaries are a single entity, but it is another example of the rich getting richer.  Because certain applications fees to register grow facilities/dispensaries in some newer states are $500,000+, non-refundable and there are like 5% of applicants accepted, so there is no guarantee you will even get your licensing after spending half of a million dollars.  Who can afford that?

So who is starting to get control over the industry?  Wealthy people, corporations that may not know a single thing about marijuana, growing it or the culture, ethics about pesticides etc.  The list goes on.  They may even start trying to monopolize the industry, where only certain growing facilities are allowed to supply dispensaries. Corporate owned growing facilities.  Then who knows, we may have genetically modified marijuana plants that are high yielding, low quality strains, sprayed with pesticides, just like the type of activity we see with our food to reduce costs and heighten profits.

Consumers are starting to pay less, but at what cost?  Your medicine is no longer in the hands of someone who cares at that point.

There is still great weed, grown by dispensaries themselves, that understand the business.  I'm not saying the medical industry is horrible, it's a great thing that has done a lot of good to the states that have passed the legislation.

But the climate of the future may be different, different states handling the law differently and putting control of it in the wrong hands.

Any grower used to be able to backpack lbs of weed we grew in our backyard into dispensaries to sell them directly.  Now, certified growing facilities are only allowed to supply them, or the dispensary themselves grows it.  People may be under the impression that these certified growing facilities have high quality/impurity testing standards which makes for the reason to only allow them to supply it.  To control the quality.
But there is so much PM found in weed in dispensaries, traces of pesticides, recalls from certain nutrient brands.  My friends grow better weed, organically in their backyard than the trash genetics in most dispensaries.

So, who do you want growing your weed?

--------------------

Offlinestzacrack
Stranger
 User Gallery

Loc: United States
    #24901961 - 01/09/18 09:32 PM (6 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

musiclover420 said:
Quote:

tdubz said:

A lot of legalization has been geared towards big businesses, if we aren't careful all the small time growers could get muscled out by huge corporate grows.

Federal legalization would be amazing, but it has to be done right. Otherwise it won't really benefit us as much as it could.

Shouldn't rush towards legalization?

Jail is better then?

Offlinemusiclover420
psychonaut
Male User Gallery

Re: Colorado Passes a Milestone for Pot Revenue [Re: stzacrack]
    #24902417 - 01/10/18 06:27 AM (6 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

stzacrack said:
Quote:

musiclover420 said:
Quote:

tdubz said:

Jail is better then?

It doesn't have to be 100% legal and regulated to keep people out of prison :lol:

In fact once it is totally legal there is a chance they will make the rules very strict and crack down on many "mom and pop" grows to cut out competition for huge corporate grows.

So we shouldn't just blindly rush towards legalization assuming it will be better.

--------------------

InvisibleIbex-Trismegistus
Stranger

Re: Colorado Passes a Milestone for Pot Revenue [Re: stzacrack]
    #24902471 - 01/10/18 07:28 AM (6 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

stzacrack said:
Quote:

musiclover420 said:
Quote:

tdubz said:

Jail is better then?

The big business aspect of cannabis is nauseating, specially in a state like colorado where most who run dispensaries do not even use cannabis, and most who work at dispensaries don't even know what "delta-9" in delta-9-Tetrahydrocannabinol signifies, hell, most could not even tell you what a double bond between carbon atoms is, and yet these individuals are qualified to staff medical dispensaries? Most of these stores have no qualms with ripping off sick people.

...but sadly, that is the price of normalization and legalization.

...and in my opinion it's a small price to pay.

Big business is going to do what big business does, exploit and capitalize, however, if that is what it takes to keep cannabis users from legal persecution and if that is what keeps cannabis freely available at a store on every street corner, than so be it.

I know we all want our utopian hippie canna-dreams to coincide with real world legalization, but the reality of the situation is compromise...

...if those big businesses did not have incentive to exploit and profit from cannabis culture, than the legal establishment would not allow the population to freely use the compound. The government doesn't give a shit about your personal health or well being, they give a shit about money, so cannabis must become more profitable in a legal setting than it was during prohibition for federal legalization and full social acceptance to occur.

Its not perfect, but it's better than it was.

Most will claim to want radical change, but the truth is change causes humans discomfort, most humans will fear and resist change... it is just going to take time, compromise and time.

--------------------
I've noticed that when people are joking they're usually dead serious, and when they're serious, they're usually pretty funny.-Jim Morrison

'Before you embark on a journey of revenge, dig two graves.-Confucius —

When it gets down to having to use violence, then you are playing the system’s game. The establishment will irritate you – pull your beard, flick your face – to make you fight. Because once they’ve got you violent, then they know how to handle you. The only thing they don’t know how to handle is non-violence and humor.”― John Lennon

This account as been hacked! It is still being messed with by an intruder.

Offlinemusiclover420
psychonaut
Male User Gallery

Re: Colorado Passes a Milestone for Pot Revenue [Re: Ibex-Trismegistus]
    #24902485 - 01/10/18 07:39 AM (6 years, 2 months ago)

I am all for legalization I just think it should be a steady process not something we rush into to. At least in terms of the regulations.

Plenty of places have decriminalized cannabis without having it totally regulated, so it's not like it has to be one or the other.

One issue I know is pretty big right now is many states are making the laws so that anyone can come in and set up shop. So now there are big corporations buying out warehouses all over legal states causing prices to skyrocket, and once they all start setting up grows it will continue to push the value of cannabis down. Which is not all bad but it will make it even harder for small grows to remain profitable.

In the next 10-20 years we might reach a point where it's not profitable or worth doing small grows unless you are growing for personal use.

I have known a lot of single mothers that grow medically for their main source of income, and even over the past 5-10 years the price has gone down a ton. I remember when a pound of quality indoor would sell for 3-4K or more easily, now you are lucky to get half that even for high quality stuff. Outdoor is dirt cheap too.

It would just really suck to see mainly already rich/successful people profit off legal cannabis, especially with the out of state laws. It would be possible for 1 big corporation to set up huge grows in most legal states, so in theory we might reach a point where the majority of cannabis is grown and sold by a single business. They will no doubt hire a lot of people to do the work but they will be the ones heavily profiting.

--------------------

InvisibleAllforublue
Rookie
 User Gallery
    #24905187 - 01/11/18 10:13 AM (6 years, 2 months ago)

:male:

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale