Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals, CBD Capsules   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
OfflineYthanA
ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ
Male User Gallery

Loc: NY/MA/VT Borderlands Flag
GOP lawmaker says he'll fight to ensure gun rights for marijuana patients * 2
    #24894039 - 01/06/18 12:05 PM (6 years, 2 months ago)

GOP lawmaker says he'll fight to ensure gun rights for marijuana patients
philly.com

A Republican state legislator in Pennsylvania said he would call on the U.S. Congress to protect the Second Amendment rights of medical marijuana patients.

State Sen. Mike Folmer (R., Lebanon) will introduce a resolution to amend the federal Gun Control Act of 1968, he said. The law currently prevents anyone who consumes marijuana for any reason from owning a firearm. State Sen. Joe Scarnati (R., Jefferson), the Senate president pro tempore, is on board to cosponsor the resolution.

Federal law prohibits gun ownership by anyone who is deemed “an unlawful user of or addicted to any controlled substance.” The U.S. Drug Enforcement Administration considers marijuana a Schedule 1 drug, without any approved medical use, and the equivalent of LSD and heroin.

Pennsylvania and 28 other states have made marijuana available for medicinal purposes. Folmer was a prime mover behind legalizing the substance for treating 17 serious health conditions. The law Folmer cowrote with State Sen. Daylin Leach (D., Montgomery) states “scientific evidence suggests that medical marijuana is one potential therapy that may mitigate suffering in some patients and also enhance quality of life.”

“As Republicans, we’re supposed to be about limited government and states’ rights,” Folmer said in an interview Friday. “We have thousands of patients who are good citizens, and close to 70 percent of this medicine is going to be non-psychotropic, so in most cases there’ll be no impairment.”

It will take an act of Congress, however, to amend the federal gun control law’s language. That could be difficult without the nation’s most powerful gun-rights organization. The NRA has said it has no interest in entering a debate involving medical cannabis, and has advised marijuana patients to lobby to change the law themselves.

Folmer wants to light a fire under federal lawmakers.

“I’m hoping to get Congress to move marijuana off Schedule 1 so people don’t have to be fearful of losing their weapons,” Folmer said.

Folmer has his work cut out for him. On Thursday, U.S. Attorney General Jeff Sessions rescinded an Obama-era policy that has allowed state marijuana programs to flourish without federal intervention.

About 11,000 people in Pennsylvania have registered so far to become medical marijuana patients, a spokeswoman for the Department of Health said on Friday. Though cannabis oils, tinctures, and lotions won’t be available until February, at the earliest, nearly 450 people already have received identification cards attesting that they have registered.

One patient, suffering from Crohn’s disease, told the Inquirer and Daily News he had attempted to buy a .22-caliber rifle before Christmas but the gun dealer refused to sell him the firearm after he checked the box on his federal questionnaire indicating he was in the program. If he had not volunteered the information, a state police background would have flagged him, stopping the sale.

Gun dealers in all states are forbidden by the ATF from selling firearms to anyone who admits to using cannabis or anyone a dealer suspects may be using it. In 2016, the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit ruled that banning sales to medical marijuana users did not violate the Second Amendment.

The Pennsylvania State Police issued a statement in late December that said that due to the federal law, patients might be refused a license when they applied for renewal.

Gov. Wolf, however, told radio station WESA-FM in Pittsburgh that the state would not seek out patients who own firearms.

“We’re not going to take their guns away,” he said.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineFractal420
Psycellium
Male User Gallery

Re: GOP lawmaker says he'll fight to ensure gun rights for marijuana patients [Re: Ythan]
    #24894102 - 01/06/18 12:40 PM (6 years, 2 months ago)

I understand why businesses need this, especially doing cash-only transactions, and i think its a good thing. However, there are more pressing matters like - letting them use banks in the first place.

And the whole federal law thing that deeply has hurt US-based cannabis research and allows people like sessions to fuck with stocks just by opening his mouth. So, this is cool, but seems very much to me like treating not just a symptom instead of the illness, but it seems like a very specific party-related "symptom".

And this is Pennsylvania.
"30 day supply -- only cannabis-infused polls, oils, topical ointments, tinctures or liquids are allowed."
(and apparently it is Not Yet Operational)

But hey i guess you can at least buy C02 to vape in PA if you have PTSD or worse. Just wish PA/tri-state area would improve their actual pot laws

--------------------
Dreaming of That face again.
It's bright and blue and shimmering.
Grinning wide
And comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes.

Prying open MY third eye

OfflineDoc9151M
Mycologist
Male User Gallery

Loc: Gulf Coast USA Flag
Re: GOP lawmaker says he'll fight to ensure gun rights for marijuana patients [Re: Fractal420] * 1
    #24894119 - 01/06/18 12:49 PM (6 years, 2 months ago)

If I can't own a gun because I smoke weed then it should be the same for all of those whom drink alcoholic beverages. I have never seen someone smoke a joint and be stupid with a gun, but I've seen lots of drunks do it.

--------------------

Psilocybe cubensis data collection thread. please help with this project if you hunt wild cubensis.
https://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=26513593&page=0&vc=1#26513593

InvisibleDark_Star
train driver pervading a desktop
Male User Gallery

Loc: Uranus
Re: GOP lawmaker says he'll fight to ensure gun rights for marijuana patients [Re: Doc9151]
    #24894124 - 01/06/18 12:50 PM (6 years, 2 months ago)

I don't get why the NRA is taking a hands off approach to this. Bitch move on their part. :thumbdown:

--------------------

OfflineDoc9151M
Mycologist
Male User Gallery

Loc: Gulf Coast USA Flag
Re: GOP lawmaker says he'll fight to ensure gun rights for marijuana patients [Re: Dark_Star]
    #24894140 - 01/06/18 01:01 PM (6 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

Dark_Star said:
I don't get why the NRA is taking a hands off approach to this. Bitch move on their part. :thumbdown:

Exactly, that's why I don't support NRA anymore.

--------------------

Psilocybe cubensis data collection thread. please help with this project if you hunt wild cubensis.
https://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=26513593&page=0&vc=1#26513593

OfflineEverett P
SeeR
I'm a teapot

Loc: Sewanee
Re: GOP lawmaker says he'll fight to ensure gun rights for marijuana patients [Re: Doc9151]
    #24894367 - 01/06/18 02:43 PM (6 years, 2 months ago)

Yeah and everyone on pain meds nation wide they got guns

--------------------
interested in prints related to treating auto immune such as RA  and lupus thank you pm me have O.I. Prints to trade

OfflineKryptos
Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: GOP lawmaker says he'll fight to ensure gun rights for marijuana patients [Re: Fractal420]
    #24896707 - 01/07/18 03:23 PM (6 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

Fractal420 said:
...So, this is cool, but seems very much to me like treating just a symptom instead of the illness...

Isn't that how life works?

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals, CBD Capsules   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale