Home | Community | Message Board

Crestline Sales - MycoPath
Please support our sponsors.

Feedback and Administration >> Shroomery News Service

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Invisiblecarbonhoots
old hand

Loc: BC Canada
High electric bill gets mom's house searched for pot grow
    #2488384 - 03/31/04 10:38 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

When police noticed Dina Dagy's family was spending $250 to $300 a month on electricity, they suspected a marijuana farm was flourishing under high-intensity lights inside their suburban home.

It was too many appliances, not pot, that police found at Carlsbad home

By: Associated Press -

CARLSBAD, Calif. (AP) -- When police noticed Dina Dagy's family was spending $250 to $300 a month on electricity, they suspected a marijuana farm was flourishing under high-intensity lights inside their suburban home.

What they found when they showed up with a drug-sniffing dog and a search warrant was a wife and mother who does several loads of laundry a day, keeps a dishwashing machine going, has three electricity-guzzling computers and three kids who can't remember to turn the lights out when they leave a room.

"It's hard to believe a high utility bill would be enough to issue a state warrant," said Dagy, who is demanding the Police Department issue a written apology.

Authorities say they have already apologized verbally several times and were only following proper procedures. Tracking down marijuana growers by reviewing electricity bills, they say, is a common practice.

"I understand they feel something isn't appropriate here, but it is very much consistent with how search warrants are prepared," said police Lt. Bill Rowland.

When authorities noticed how high the bill for the Dagy home was, they sent a police dog to the neighborhood, and it reacted as though it had smelled drugs.

They also noticed the family had put its trash out that morning, something police say drug growers often do to hide the evidence. In the Dagys' case, however, it was trash day.

When officers returned on March 19 with a search warrant, Dagy was volunteering at her son's second-grade class. She was heading back to her car when police arrived at the school, and she returned home and let them into the house.

They found nothing illegal, and she says she feels fortunate she wasn't in her son's classroom when they arrived.

"I would have been so embarrassed," she said, "and my son would have died: `They're taking your mommy away!"'

--------------------
  -I'd rather have a frontal lobotomy than a bottle in front of me

CANADIAN CENTER FOR POLICY ALTERNATIVES

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleLanaV
Head Banana
Female

Loc: www.MycoSupply.com
Re: High electric bill gets mom's house searched for pot grow [Re: carbonhoots]
    #2498930 - 04/01/04 09:26 AM (12 years, 8 months ago)

Another example of police stupidity!!!

In many rural areas where natual gas isn't available, everything is electric. A $250-$300 a month bill isn't uncommon.

I wonder where these "law enforcement officers" get their information from???

Lana

--------------------
Myco Supply - Distributors of Mycological Products
http://www.MycoSupply.com

The Premiere Source for Mushroom Growing Supplies.
Visit us online or call us toll free

Invisiblebert
bodhi

Loc: state
Re: High electric bill gets mom's house searched for pot grow [Re: Lana]
    #2504645 - 04/01/04 12:59 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

That's fucked up that electric companies report your usage to police. Shouldn't that information be private and confidential? Isn't that spying or something?

--------------------
Persons denying the existence of robots may be robots themselves.

OfflineEkstaza
stranger thanmost
 User Gallery

Loc: Around the corner
Re: High electric bill gets mom's house searched for pot grow [Re: bert]
    #2508918 - 04/01/04 09:08 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

Just another reason to investigate alternative sources of energy such as solar panels and wind generators.

--------------------
YOUR EXPERIENCE WITH ANY GIVEN DRUG ISN'T THE DEFINITIVE MEASURE OF THE DRUGS EFFECTS.

Anonymous

#2518736 - 04/02/04 01:13 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

Amendment 4-

The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized.

Invisible2Experimental
Male User Gallery
Re: High electric bill gets mom's house searched for pot grow [Re: ]
    #2522827 - 04/03/04 09:37 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

next thing you know, your going to get arrested for 'looking like' a pothead

OfflineHooty
Reality isRelative

Re: High electric bill gets mom's house searched for pot gro [Re: 2Experimental]
    #2523277 - 04/04/04 12:18 AM (12 years, 8 months ago)

that happen's everyday, they just don't write it on the ticket....

--------------------

Without love in the dream
It will never come true

OfflineHidingInPlainSight
Male User Gallery
Loc: Portland, OR
Re: High electric bill gets mom's house searched for pot gro [Re: Ekstaza]
    #2526218 - 04/05/04 01:41 AM (12 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Ekstaza said:
Just another reason to investigate alternative sources of energy such as solar panels and wind generators.

That's exactly what I was thinking. Alternative sources of energy.  :thumbup:

InvisibleOJK
Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: High electric bill gets mom's house searched for pot gro [Re: HidingInPlainSight]
    #2548968 - 04/11/04 07:20 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

They also noticed the family had put its trash out that morning, something police say drug growers often do to hide the evidence

I'm sorry, but read that. Just read it.

-Odium

OfflineDailyPot
Trip'n Time

Loc: Florida
    #2574667 - 04/18/04 08:05 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

bert said:
That's fucked up that electric companies report your usage to police. Shouldn't that information be private and confidential? Isn't that spying or something?

It is, the problem is cops are aloud to break the law until you spend a shitload of money taking them to court and probably doing appels.

Offlinehaz
mycofunkatologist
Male

Loc: Washington
Re: High electric bill gets mom's house searched for pot grow [Re: DailyPot]
    #2595852 - 04/23/04 08:17 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

and thats why we say FUCK THE POLICE

Invisiblechodamunky
Cheers!

Loc: sailing the seas of chees...
    #2597632 - 04/24/04 12:41 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Tracking down marijuana growers by reviewing electricity bills, they say, is a common practice.

that's fucking bullshit! Me and my dad were discussing setting up a solar system hooked up at the house, not because we grow weed, but just because we're sick of high energy prices and depending on somebody else for our power. The less they know about you, and the less you depend on the government for your daily needs, the less they have to fuck with you.

InvisibleJoshua
Holoman
Male

Loc: The Matrix
Re: High electric bill gets mom's house searched for pot grow [Re: chodamunky]
    #2598612 - 04/24/04 07:09 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Amen to that!

Joshua

--------------------
The Shroomery Bookstore

Great books for inquiring minds!

"Life After Death is Saprophytic!"

OfflineSigno
manamana
 User Gallery

Loc: Purple Haze
    #2599066 - 04/24/04 11:14 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

bert said:

Well, most people buy their energy from state or municipally run sources, therefore the information is already property of the government. I'm not sure if the Patriot Act includes energy companies, but It probably does.

--------------------

Correlation is not causation!

OfflineTremor1127
Mental Member
Male

Loc: In a Van Down By the Rive...
    #2600961 - 04/25/04 02:32 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

chodamunky said:
Tracking down marijuana growers by reviewing electricity bills, they say, is a common practice.

that's fucking bullshit! Me and my dad were discussing setting up a solar system hooked up at the house, not because we grow weed, but just because we're sick of high energy prices and depending on somebody else for our power. The less they know about you, and the less you depend on the government for your daily needs, the less they have to fuck with you.

yup...  an older man a few miles outside of town lives in a little hut type thing with solar panels and generators running everything day and night...  he hates the government for some reason...  :rolleyes:  and he also buys all sorts of shit in lots like crossbows, bulletproof vests, knives, all sorts of shit and sells them so cheap it isnt funny...  he does it all so that he can compete with walmart, i know that sounds stupid, but you would have to see this guy, he even looks and talks similar to tommy chong...

Invisiblechodamunky
Cheers!

Loc: sailing the seas of chees...
Re: High electric bill gets mom's house searched for pot grow [Re: Tremor1127]
    #2605029 - 04/26/04 04:25 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

he does it all so that he can compete with walmart, i know that sounds stupid, but you would have to see this guy, he even looks and talks similar to tommy chong...

lol, so he is basically trying to arm the local populace against the evil government scum bags huh? There are many things you can do to minimze your dependence on the government services, and save yourself some money, like growing some of your own food. We have a kickass vegetable garden with huge tomatoes, pickles, carrots, raddish, lettuce, and a few others. It feels (and tastes) good to eat the food you grow and care for yourself. someday I wanna figure out how to filtrate run off water. I've seen some guy on discovery channel that dumps in filthy sewage water into this large barrel container, and the water passes through like 4 stages of filtration with bacteria and certian plants, and it comes out clean as spring water, ready to drink  :grin:

OfflineTremor1127
Mental Member
Male

Loc: In a Van Down By the Rive...
    #2605251 - 04/26/04 05:30 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

wow thats fuckin crazy man... yeah this guy isnt that bad, but hes pretty far out there... last time i went out there we sat around his place for about 3 hours and in the middle of a conversation about weed he brings up his trip to another state to get some and right next to him surrounded by some stuff in plain sight he digs out a big ass jar with a half pound stuffed off in it, and there was several more like it that we just didnt notice...

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars

Feedback and Administration >> Shroomery News Service