Home | Community | Message Board

Crestline Sales - MycoPath
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: Diablo 3, Microscope

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineGrizzy
Explorer of mindand matter

Loc: Bay Area, CA - USA
Would you mind helping ID these 3 mushrooms?
    #2488088 - 03/31/04 09:16 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

Info: I?m in the east SF bay area, CA. Walked down the street past the zebras and ostrich to where the newts live.

Looked around and found several little shrooms that caught my attention.

#1-
A fragile little white mushroom, found in an almost cave-like setting, growing from dirt under the root of this tree:

Here is a closer look at them:

And the gills:

#2-
Found in grass, along a horse-trail. Cap is 1/2 inch across dia.

#3-
Found very close to #2, in same setting. Cap is 1 and 1/4" across.

...and the gills of both #2 and #3.

Of course, I?ve been racking through the Field guide I have, the Audubon one. But they are inconsisten. One picture has gills, the others don?t. Having a hard time getting to the bottom of this.

Aside from just telling me what it is, it would be great if you could tell me what the key indicators that lead you to your answer were. Thank you.

CHEERS

--------------------
"You already know everything, it's just a matter of time before you remember..."

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleBolwarra
Stranger

Loc: Australia
Re: Would you mind helping ID these 3 mushrooms? [Re: Grizzy]
    #2488339 - 03/31/04 10:24 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

refer to BulletRide's post.
-----

other than that great pic's Grizzy, that lizzard is awsome, of-course so are the mushrooms.

--------------------

Anonymous

Post deleted by Administrator [Re: Bolwarra]
    #2488544 - 03/31/04 11:36 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

OfflineGrizzy

Re: Would you mind helping ID these 3 mushrooms? [Re: ]
    #2488620 - 04/01/04 12:13 AM (12 years, 8 months ago)

Alright, finally dropped some spores.

#2: too small to be sure, but the small amount that dropped appears to be brown. I don't know, maybe they'd be yellow. Could be.
#3: dropped ink black spores(faint, so it looks grey as of yet). No blue bruising, though...

Does the spore color provide an answer or open more questions at this point(for #3)?

--------------------
"You already know everything, it's just a matter of time before you remember..."

Edited by Grizzy (04/01/04 12:36 AM)

Offlinedoc34
Fungitarian
Male User Gallery

Loc: Myceliaville !!!
    #2508220 - 04/01/04 08:47 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

#1 Coprinus Plicatilis(Umbrella Inky-Caps)
#2 Stropharia Semiglobata(Dung Psilocybe)
#3 Psilocybe Squamosa(Scaly-Stalked Psilocybe)

These are only my guesses and are not to be considered as an id!!

--------------------

Edited by doc34 (04/01/04 08:55 PM)

OfflineToxicManM
Bite me, it's fun!
 User Gallery

Loc: Aurora, Colorado
Trusted Identifier
    #2512524 - 04/01/04 11:37 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

You didn't mention anything about odors or if parts of these mushrooms were slimy or sticky. Those are important details with a lot of the mushrooms similar to the ones you found. Make sure you note things like that - it helps the identification a lot.

The first ones look close to Coprinus disseminatus. We would need to do some microscope work to be certain.

The second one looks like a Conocybe to me, and your mention of a pale brownish spore print would agree with that. Your first photo of it shows it to be all white (which would make it close to Conocybe lactea), but the later shot seems to show it as being very brownish (which would make it more like Conocybe tenera). Which color is it really?

The third mushroom looks like a Stropharia, but we have the same sort of color problem with it as with the second mushroom. Is it really white, or is it some other color? Overall it resembles Stropharia riparia. If so, it should have had a slimy cap (did it?). There are actually several similar looking species of Stropharia, so even if the photo looks just like what you've found, it could very well be a similar species.

Since you're in the Bay area, there's a really good mushroom club there. They have some really good experts who will be able to help you learn to identify stuff. I think Dr Dennis Desjardin still helps them, and he's one of the best mushroom identifiers I've ever met.

Happy mushrooming!

--------------------
Happy mushrooming!

OfflineGrizzy

Re: Would you mind helping ID these 3 mushrooms? [Re: ToxicMan]
    #2516945 - 04/02/04 02:57 AM (12 years, 8 months ago)

Toxicman - you are something else. Wow. Thanks. Ok, I'll try to answer your questions first.

(To answer #2, it was a brownish color)
My interest lies mostly with #3.

Odors - none, really. They smelled like regular(store) mushrooms, I guess. But my nose is a virgin for the fungi flavor, as I have much to learn...

Not slimy, nor sticky. Smooth.

And yes, the cap WAS white. It has dried to a golden brown color.

My backyard consists of the Mt Diablo foothills, and the area between Pleasanton, Walnut Creek, and Orinda. Would you mind hooking me up with this club? I'd love to have a channel for information and a source to go to with samples.

Thank you. I'll try to do better next time in my type-up with the pictures. Any other pointers? Should I be pulling the "root"(I've heard both yes and no)?

Cheers.

--------------------

OfflineToxicManM
Bite me, it's fun!
 User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
    #2518979 - 04/02/04 02:57 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

You need to make sure you get the base of the stem any time you're picking mushrooms and you're not already certain of the ID. Many kinds of mushrooms have a rooting base (like a taproot) or have what appear to be "rootlets" attached to the base of the stem. These things help a lot in identification.

When picking mushrooms for identification, try to get several specimens of all ages from small buttons to mature ones (you can skip the old, rotting ones). For Cortinarius you don't have a useful collection for most species unless you have at least 3 specimens including a very young one and a mature one. When you're picking specimens, try to get some that show the variations in appearance that are available to you. Try to get the biggest one and some small ones, the tall and short ones, and so on. If they're growing in a cluster, try to get at least part of the base of the cluster so that you have the part where they're all attached to each other.

The fact that the last mushroom wasn't sticky or slimy doesn't make the ID wrong. Was it dry out when you found them? If so, the layer of slimy or sticky material could have dried out and left the cap just smooth. You can test this by putting a drop of water on your fingertip and them rubbing the cap surface with that finger. If there's a dried out slime layer, then the cap will become slimy as you rub it. If you were to test it in this way and it didn't become at all slimy, then it was definitely another species.

I picked Stropharia riparia because it has a pale cap color, which is actually somewhat unusual for a Stropharia.

In general, it's a useful thing to slice a specimen of each kind you collect in half vertically. It helps make more obvious the way the gills are attached (or not) to the stem as well as making it clear what the inside of the stem look like. You should also then take one of the halves and scrape the inside hard enough to bruise the tissue with your knife edge, then watch for color changes. Color changes from bruising will usually occur within a few minutes, but they can take up to an hour. Color changes like that are very important in identification.

You already seem to be noting habitat when you collect. That's good - it's very important for IDing. There are lots of mushrooms that occur only under evergreens, or only under hardwoods, or even under only one specific kind of tree. If you are closer to a tree than the tree is tall, then you are close enough for the mushroom to be growing in association with that tree.

As far as the Club there, here's a link which lists all the NAMA clubs. I'll let you figure out which one is closest. They include contact information for each.

Happy mushrooming!

--------------------
Happy mushrooming!

OfflineMAIA
World-BridgerKartikeya (DftS)
Male User Gallery

Loc: Erra - 20 Tauri - M45 Sta...
Re: Would you mind helping ID these 3 mushrooms? [Re: ToxicMan]
    #2519325 - 04/02/04 05:03 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

I believe the first pic of #3 is a bit misleading as it has too much brightness. The last pic show more its natural color which is a bit darker. Therefore i think that's a Ps. Merdaria or Ps. Moelierii. The yellowish stem and a viscid pellicle on the cap plus ring location might point in that direction if the spore print color matches.
I get many of those near my house, here they like to grow mainly in horse dung...

MAIA

--------------------
Spiritual being, living a human experience ... The Shroomery Mandala

Use, do not abuse; neither abstinence nor excess ever renders man happy.
Voltaire

OfflineGrizzy

Re: Would you mind helping ID these 3 mushrooms? [Re: MAIA]
    #2519648 - 04/02/04 06:50 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

ToxicMan - thank you for the good advice.

As far as the Mycology Societs go, I see I've got the Santa Cruz Fungus Federation and the MSSF.

I looked around their sites but did not see the standard "we're open from - to -" verbage.

Are they "open" during the week or weekend to the public? And are they cool about it like that, if I just walk in with a mushroom - they'd id it for me, for free? If it was a "silly" shroom, should I not take it to them?

I imagine these are the standard first questions anyone would about hooking up with them.

Thanks.

--------------------

OfflineToxicManM
Bite me, it's fun!
 User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
    #2519743 - 04/02/04 07:32 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

MAIA - Yeah, the Stropharia could be any of several species. I only pointed one out that's similar. The species you mention were both high on my list of possibles. There are a few others, but without a detailed examination of the mushroom we're not likely to really know exactly what it was.

Grizzy - Mycological Societies aren't like businesses that have regular daily hours. They're clubs that meet typically once a month and have speakers. All of them I know of are happy to have random members of the public drop in. If you bring in a mushroom (or, better yet, a collection of mushrooms) they will generally be happy to identify them for you. They are great places to learn to identify mushrooms, and will help you to learn to do so yourself. They also usually have people you could contact to help identify mushrooms locally outside of the regular meetings. If you find one you're pretty sure is a "silly" mushroom, they will probably identify it, but it is also possible for a cop to be there. I definitely wouldn't bring in anything purchased, and anything you find you should assume (if an illegal species) could potentially be confiscated.

Most people who belong to Mycological Societies are interested in mushrooms to eat, not get high with. As such, many (not all) of them look down on people who are interested in the active species as some sort of druggies. Go chat with some of them and feel them out and you will probably be able to figure out who you can show your potential active specimens to without coming across like some sort of drug dealer and getting into trouble.

Try contacting them and asking when the next meeting is.

Good luck and happy mushrooming!

--------------------
Happy mushrooming!

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: Diablo 3, Microscope

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification