Home | Community | Message Board

High Mountain Compost
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Getting Started

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Boomr Bag, Bulk Substrate, Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Coir, Perlite, Wild Bird Seed

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinewilsonpalmer82
Stranger
 User Gallery

weekly noob question
    #24871300 - 12/27/17 01:01 PM (3 years, 4 months ago)

ok guys im about 10 days in on the WBS coco coir SGC colonization process.
this is what it looks like so far. i know its not fully colonized yet but i was just wondering, should there be no visible coco coir left when it is fully colonized? this is my very first time doing this so i just want to get as much veteran knowledge i can so round 2 goes smoother.
thanks again in advance

Post Extras: Filter  Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineDmoney25
Stranger
Re: weekly noob question [Re: wilsonpalmer82]
    #24871442 - 12/27/17 02:02 PM (3 years, 4 months ago)

I'm no veteran but I've been trying to do as much research as I can for the past month or so. you want to make sure the substrate is fully colonized, the mycelium will not fruit otherwise. A great tip I found out from Willy Myco (I would suggest watching his videos on youtube, great content) is to put a layer of wax paper on top of your substrate to create a micro-climate to get the most pinning from your fruits.  you'll only need one sheet. and i would suggest only doing this once your substrate is fully colonized. once you see enough pins(periodically look under your wax paper every 2 days) , just remove the sheet and pop your tub into fruiting. hopefully this helps, from one noob to another

- D

OfflineCrombie
Cheese Boat Captain
 User Gallery

Re: weekly noob question [Re: wilsonpalmer82]
    #24871460 - 12/27/17 02:12 PM (3 years, 4 months ago)

Yes, you want it fully colonized. You want it to be completely white, or close to it, like your grain jars were when they were colonizing.

Example tubs. Not sure if this would be considered 100% but you can see the difference and read the thread yourself

https://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/24358330#24358330

--------------------
Sailing the seas of cheese!

My beginner journal https://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/24845768

Edited by Crombie (12/27/17 02:19 PM)

OfflineHalf-ass Astronaut
Professional amateur

Re: weekly noob question [Re: Crombie]
    #24872148 - 12/27/17 08:31 PM (3 years, 4 months ago)

generally, you shouldnt open your tub until its completely white and colonized.
you want the environment CO2 rich for helping in the spawn run.
no, it should be WHITE WHITE WHITE and any brown means the spawn hasn't taken hold.
stop opening the tub, let it be.

also, you said SGC. you mean shotgun chamber? because your tub is not a SGFC design.

Professional amateur

Re: weekly noob question [Re: Half-ass Astronaut]
    #24872193 - 12/27/17 08:49 PM (3 years, 4 months ago)

after finding your other thread ill just add it here:

your tub is NOT  a shotgun fruiting chamber design.
a SGFC has hundreds of holes on every side of the tub, even the bottom.
the tub is filled with about 5 inches deep of wet perlite to keep the environment humid. the tub is elevated so air can rise through the perlite and bring humidity into the tub.

typically cakes are set on top the perlite to help fruit them after they have been removed from a jar.

what youre doing is a bulk tub and youre doing it wrong. bulk tubs need a basic hole layout where the top holes are high and the bottom holes are low near the substrate to help purge the CO2 during fruiting. CO2 is a heavier gas than air. CO2 leaves the bottom holes and air enters into the top. its called Fresh Air Exchange.

note my photos. the tub should be very white (notice under the pins how white it is)

notice where the holes are.

Offlinewilsonpalmer82
Stranger
 User Gallery

#24882037 - 12/31/17 10:48 PM (3 years, 4 months ago)

thank you for your help on this one. for letting me know what im doing wrong i really appreciate it. im going to fix this tub and i also have a new tub to work on. i already have jars of wbs colonized and ready to go. so this next run i wont fuck with at all. thanks again for the info. trial and error and learning from my mistakes is the only way im gonna start getting it right. thanks again everyone.

InvisibleZiran
The Hero of Time
I'm a teapot User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Temple of Time
    #24882521 - 01/01/18 04:56 AM (3 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Half-ass Astronaut said:
after finding your other thread ill just add it here:

your tub is NOT  a shotgun fruiting chamber design.
a SGFC has hundreds of holes on every side of the tub, even the bottom.
the tub is filled with about 5 inches deep of wet perlite to keep the environment humid. the tub is elevated so air can rise through the perlite and bring humidity into the tub.

typically cakes are set on top the perlite to help fruit them after they have been removed from a jar.

what youre doing is a bulk tub and youre doing it wrong. bulk tubs need a basic hole layout where the top holes are high and the bottom holes are low near the substrate to help purge the CO2 during fruiting. CO2 is a heavier gas than air. CO2 leaves the bottom holes and air enters into the top. its called Fresh Air Exchange.

note my photos. the tub should be very white (notice under the pins how white it is)

notice where the holes are.

Not 100% true. it depends on spawn ratios and types of sub. some of my coir tubs never get 100% white where my Hpoo ones do.

--------------------
Song Of Healing
:super: Updated Pf Tek Guide :super:
Ziran's Teks
AMU Q&A Thread
The Chinese word for nature is zìrán and it means that of which is of itself.

InvisibleMrRabbit-HMR
Professional Duck Washer

Loc: UK Flag
Re: weekly noob question [Re: Dmoney25]
    #24882624 - 01/01/18 08:32 AM (3 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Dmoney25 said:
I'm no veteran but I've been trying to do as much research as I can for the past month or so. you want to make sure the substrate is fully colonized, the mycelium will not fruit otherwise. A great tip I found out from Willy Myco (I would suggest watching his videos on youtube, great content) is to put a layer of wax paper on top of your substrate to create a micro-climate to get the most pinning from your fruits.  you'll only need one sheet. and i would suggest only doing this once your substrate is fully colonized. once you see enough pins(periodically look under your wax paper every 2 days) , just remove the sheet and pop your tub into fruiting. hopefully this helps, from one noob to another

- D

First ever post, great advice!

For future reference, you can also experiment with bubble wrap, which works better than wax paper in my opinion, plus you can see through it, and reuse it, and it doesn't need to be replaced.

Peace

Professional amateur

Re: weekly noob question [Re: Ziran]
    #24882834 - 01/01/18 12:04 PM (3 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Ziran said:

Not 100% true. it depends on spawn ratios and types of sub. some of my coir tubs never get 100% white where my Hpoo ones do.

also true. i was trying to highlight what 100% colonization looks like, and also point out that the hole placement of his tub is less than ideal.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore Boomr Bag, Bulk Substrate, Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Coir, Perlite, Wild Bird Seed

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Getting Started