Home | Community | Message Board

Phytoextractum
Please support our sponsors.

Feedback and Administration >> Shroomery News Service

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineAnnoA
Experimenter
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: my room
Drug Overdoses Fuel Jump in U.S. Poisoning Deaths
    #2486590 - 03/31/04 10:29 AM (13 years, 1 month ago)

http://www.reuters.com/newsArticle.jhtml?type=healthNews&storyID=4663540§ion=news

Drug Overdoses Fuel Jump in U.S. Poisoning Deaths
Thu Mar 25, 2004 04:21 PM ET
By Paul Simao

ATLANTA (Reuters) - Illicit use of heroin, cocaine and other drugs helped fuel a dramatic rise in the number of accidental and unexplained poisoning deaths in the United States, health researchers said on Thursday.

The fatality rate from poisoning, excluding suicides and murders, rose an average 145 percent between 1990 and 2001, according to data collected by 11 states and published by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

Narcotics and hallucinogens accounted for 51 percent of these deaths.

Catherine Sanford, an official with the North Carolina Department of Health and Human Services and one of the authors of the study, said the troubling data highlighted a clear and common message.

"If you use drugs for recreation, there is a good chance you will die," said Sanford, who added that misuse of sedatives, pain killers and other legitimately prescribed drugs also contributed to the poisoning fatality trends.

She stressed that this finding did not indicate a need to restrict legally prescribed drugs, especially if they were used to control chronic pain or treat patients in substance abuse clinics.

There were 22,242 poisoning deaths in 2001 in the United States, 63 percent of which were unintentional. The overall death rate from poisonings -- either intentional or unintentional -- rose 56 percent between 1990 and 2001.

Poisonings cost the nation untold billions every year in medical costs and lost productivity. A 1997 study put the cost at about $925 per incident.

Researchers could not explain why Americans between the ages of 45 and 54 posted the biggest increase -- a 359 percent rise -- in unintentional poisoning fatalities during the 1990-2001 period.

Equally puzzling was the discovery that the rate of increase among women was almost double that of men in Colorado, Delaware, Florida, Kentucky, Massachusetts, New Mexico, North Carolina, Oregon, Utah, Washington and Wisconsin.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineSeussA
Error: divide byzero

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Caribbean
Re: Drug Overdoses Fuel Jump in U.S. Poisoning Deaths [Re: Anno]
    #2486696 - 03/31/04 11:54 AM (13 years, 1 month ago)

> Narcotics and hallucinogens accounted for 51 percent of these deaths.

> There were 22,242 poisoning deaths in 2001 in the United States, 63 percent of which were unintentional

From the DEA: An estimated 15.9 million Americans age 12 years or older were current users of illicit drugs in 2001.

Hmmm... lets do the math here... 63% of 22,242 is around 14,000 accidental deaths. Of those 14,000 accidental deaths, 51% were drug related... which is around 7100 accidental drug related. Out of 15.9 million drug users, 7100 died due to drug use. Using the numbers provided, about 0.045% of the illegal drug users died from overdoses.

> "If you use drugs for recreation, there is a good chance you will die," said Sanford

Hmmm... I don't call 0.045% a "good chance"... around 5 in 10,000 (if I did my math correctly). Typical anti-drug hype.

--------------------
Just another spore in the wind.

OfflineAuroricDistortions
~~~~~~~
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Polar Springs
    #2487231 - 03/31/04 03:54 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

>>according to data collected by 11 states and published by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

11 states does not seem like a very accurate sample.

>>Narcotics and hallucinogens accounted for 51 percent of these deaths.

I wonder what the difference in numbers are for narcotics vs. hallucinogens. I'd bet the weight would be on the narcotics side. I wonder if they are including deaths blamed on the drug, or just lethal drug doses.

>>Equally puzzling was the discovery that the rate of increase among women was almost double that of men in Colorado, Delaware, Florida, Kentucky, Massachusetts, New Mexico, North Carolina, Oregon, Utah, Washington and Wisconsin.

In other words, 'Equally puzzling was the discovery that the rate of increase among women was almost double that of men in all 11 states we collected data from.'

--------------------

InvisibleZippoZM
Knomadic
 User Gallery

Loc: Pongyang, North Korea
    #2487823 - 03/31/04 07:15 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

"around 5 in 10,000 (if I did my math correctly). Typical anti-drug hype.
"

THS SAME OCCOURANCE OF SCHITSOPHRENIA IN THE POPULATION,

--------------------
PEACE

:mushroom2:zippoz:mushroom2:

"in times of widespread chaos and confusion, it has been the duty of more advanced human beings - artists, scientists, clowns, and philosophers - to create order. In such times as ours however, when there is too much order, too much m management, too much programming and control, it becomes the duty of superior men and women and women to fling their favorite monkey wrenches into the machinery. To relieve the repression of the human spirit, they must sow doubt and disruption"

"People do it every day, they talk to themselves ... they see themselves as they'd like to be, they don't have the courage you have, to just run with it."

OfflineTrip
Lost Pilgrim

Re: Drug Overdoses Fuel Jump in U.S. Poisoning Deaths [Re: Seuss]
    #2505793 - 04/01/04 03:54 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

nice seuss

Offlinemitemouse
Student

#2506477 - 04/01/04 06:54 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

I wonder if alcohol was included in this statistic. OR maybe it makes up for the other unaccounted 49%.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Feedback and Administration >> Shroomery News Service