Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
OfflineRaRaRasputin
Lover Of The Russian Queen
Male

Loc: St. Petersburg or Siberia Flag
Hard Apple Cider With Possible Problems
    #24861256 - 12/21/17 11:23 PM (6 years, 3 months ago)

So I'm brewing some gross hard apple cider. Basically a bunch of blended apples and sugar water. The last batch I made was on the light side so this time I mixed sugar into the water until it was super saturated, Like 3 cups. It is in a 1 gallon glass jar fermin and I was wundering if there could be some problems with too much "bad alcohol" being formed? I know typically that isn't problem with a brew but I was curious due to how much sugar I used.

--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineM44
Ballbagasaurus

Loc: Up the woowaa
Re: Hard Apple Cider With Possible Problems [Re: RaRaRasputin]
    #24866781 - 12/24/17 09:43 PM (6 years, 3 months ago)

My only experience with a similar recipe was I found it was un drinkable for nearly a year, I found the water made it taste terrible, and even now I only drink it cos I can't bring myself to pour it down the drain.
I recently made a batch with just apple juice and dextrose sugar, after 2 months bottled it tasted better than the year old stuff but still needs a bit more aging, 1 to clear it also 2 to make it taste better

--------------------
... White trash get down on your knees...
... It's time for cake and sodomy...

OfflineViolet Wizard
Violet Prisoner
Male

Loc: Nothing and Nowhere
Re: Hard Apple Cider With Possible Problems [Re: M44]
    #24869252 - 12/26/17 11:27 AM (6 years, 3 months ago)

I am pretty sure you should use a gauge to tell how much gravity there is so you know how much sugar to put in. The biggest risk you have is creating too much alcohol and killing the yeast or making the drink too hot.

When I experimented with wine I used yeast that was distiller yeast and could tolerate 20% ethanol. The biggest issue I had was it tasting "hot" so you could taste the alcohol in the after taste. I made banana wine and then distilled off banana brandy, both of which were drinkable.

Methanol is what you are talking about and its created with ethanol but isnt considered a risk unless you distill because you can end up with 10mL of pure methanol in your 250mL of ethanol, which is bad if you consume or sell alcohol regularly. With a wine, beer, or cider, the amount isnt considered bad based on how liter there is per unit.

--------------------
Promise me to pass the time. Dance with me on plastic tears. Kiss me, we won’t feel alone, till morning when we disappear.

InvisibleKaptainKermit
Friend

Re: Hard Apple Cider With Possible Problems [Re: Violet Wizard]
    #24886263 - 01/02/18 10:42 PM (6 years, 2 months ago)

Like violet said you want to try to hit a target specific gravity, adding that much sugar will likely cause the yeast to stall out before they consume sufficient sugars not to make a super sweet and weird product, especially if yeast nutrients are not added

InvisibletrendalM
J♠
Male User Gallery

Loc: Ontario, Canada Flag
    #24889055 - 01/04/18 06:29 AM (6 years, 2 months ago)

--------------------
Once, men turned their thinking over to machines in the hope that this would set them free.
But that only permitted other men with machines to enslave them.

InvisibleBodhi of Ankou
*alternate opinion blocks path*
Other

Loc: Soviet Canukistan Flag
    #24893121 - 01/05/18 10:59 PM (6 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

RaRaRasputin said:
So I'm brewing some gross hard apple cider. Basically a bunch of blended apples and sugar water. The last batch I made was on the light side so this time I mixed sugar into the water until it was super saturated, Like 3 cups. It is in a 1 gallon glass jar fermin and I was wundering if there could be some problems with too much "bad alcohol" being formed? I know typically that isn't problem with a brew but I was curious due to how much sugar I used.

You never have to worry about Methanol forming unless you're distilling the wash you've created, and even then its only the heads you gotta bleed off and sacrifice to the gods. How many liters of solution did you mix the 3 cups of sugar into? If theres not enough volume that can turn out subpar tasting. I recommend half that per gallon of juice.

OfflineThe Influence
Free Sheeks
Male User Gallery

Loc: Not Wisconsin
Re: Hard Apple Cider With Possible Problems [Re: Bodhi of Ankou]
    #24893132 - 01/05/18 11:05 PM (6 years, 2 months ago)

Not to mention unless your using washed apples your going to get some wild yeasts in there that can throw some off flavors in the mix...and by off I mean sometimes absolutely horrid. I would also follow everyone elses advice and get a hydrometer and dial it in a bit.

InvisibleballsalsaMDiscord
Universally Loathed and Reviled
Male User Gallery

Loc: Foreign Lands
    #24893140 - 01/05/18 11:10 PM (6 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

RaRaRasputin said:

keep the temp down while it ferments.  higher temps can result in higher fusel alcohol production.
I've made 1 gal batches this way that turned out great and fermented to dryness and everything.  I've had them come out tasting like jet fuel too.

Edit: I hope you pitched a champagne yeast or some such that actually has a hope of fermenting all that sugar

--------------------

Like cannabis topics? Read my cannabis blog here

Edited by ballsalsa (01/05/18 11:13 PM)

InvisibleBodhi of Ankou
*alternate opinion blocks path*
Other

Loc: Soviet Canukistan Flag
Re: Hard Apple Cider With Possible Problems [Re: ballsalsa] * 1
    #24893145 - 01/05/18 11:14 PM (6 years, 2 months ago)

Transferring it for the final clear period also makes a huge difference. As it gets to that final bit of sugar in solution the yeast will start to cannibalize that thick sludge that forms on the bottom to maintain production and that throws some harsh flavors into the mix. After 1.5-2 weeks time you should switch it out into a new container to properly finish.

Jump to top Pages: 1