Home | Community | Message Board

NorthSpore.com BOOMR Bag!
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Offlinechibiabos
Cosmic Pond Scum
I'm a teapot User Gallery

Pickled Eggs
    #24856375 - 12/19/17 05:58 PM (6 years, 3 months ago)

Pickled eggs kick ass.  Anybody have any recipes that they're especially fond of?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflinePsilosopherr
A psilly goose
Other User Gallery

Re: Pickled Eggs [Re: chibiabos]
    #24856381 - 12/19/17 06:00 PM (6 years, 3 months ago)

Been meaning to try this with muh chickens :popcorn:

Offlinechibiabos
Cosmic Pond Scum

Re: Pickled Eggs [Re: Psilosopherr]
    #24856397 - 12/19/17 06:06 PM (6 years, 3 months ago)

Definitely worth it.  They also keep really well (as long as you can them).  I like mine with cider vinegar, personally.  They're tangy and fucking delicious.

FYI, poke a hole in the bottom of your eggs (where the air-pocket is) to make the eggs easier to peel after you've boiled them.

Also, I wish that I had chickens...

OfflinePsilosopherr
A psilly goose
Other User Gallery

Re: Pickled Eggs [Re: chibiabos]
    #24856420 - 12/19/17 06:16 PM (6 years, 3 months ago)

I've had bad luck with tricks to make eggs easier to peel but thats one I've never heard before, will have to try it.

They sound so weird but I have to try it, love pickles themselves so how bad can it go.

They're fun little birds, not much you have to do for them once they're set up. Lately they've been 'helping' me in the garage when I'm working on my car.

InvisibleAroundtheSon
Learning to See
Male User Gallery

Loc: Midwest.
    #24856450 - 12/19/17 06:38 PM (6 years, 3 months ago)

I have 11 chickens currently. They don't need much, and will eat most all table scraps (also making compost).

They look like dinosaurs, which is fun. This time of year is great because they can "free range". In the spring/summer they will destroy the fuck out of my garden.

Do research before jumping in: beyond the basics of water and food, they need a pretty secure dwelling. We have friends lose chickens all the time to predators, but our place is pretty tight.

gobble gobble

OfflineSir Selzir
Stranger
Re: Pickled Eggs [Re: AroundtheSon]
    #24856571 - 12/19/17 08:18 PM (6 years, 3 months ago)

Chickens don't gobble  :bored:

OfflineMy Elysium Trips
Lore
 User Gallery
Loc: FM Radio...?
    #24856575 - 12/19/17 08:21 PM (6 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Psilosopherr said:
I've had bad luck with tricks to make eggs easier to peel but thats one I've never heard before, will have to try it.

They sound so weird but I have to try it, love pickles themselves so how bad can it go.

They're fun little birds, not much you have to do for them once they're set up. Lately they've been 'helping' me in the garage when I'm working on my car.

Try adding some Oil to the Boiled Eggs, I heard that long ago but haven't boiled eggs in a long time except past month. And I didn't clean the pot because I recently cooked with it, only a little oil left, I made 2 batches of Soft Boiled Eggs, (about 8 minutes in a boil), & the 1st batch with leftover oil was easier to peel. I also Want to make a bunch of pickled Eggs, but I don't have any eggs to boil as of now. I don't recall Ever making pickled Eggs, but shouldn't take much effort. But if you like Sour, Deli- Style mouth- Puckering Pickles, drain like 1/3 the Pickle Juice & add your desired Vinegar, if you like them Sour & Tart, but everyone has different Likes regarding foods.

So, if you were making a Dozen Eggs in 2 quarts of water, I'd say maybe a Tablespoon of Vegetable Oil should more than suffice to make peeling Eggs easier, but worst case scenario, you don't notice a difference & you lose a little cooking Oil. So, I'm just humbly suggesting this, I honestly don't care how people try & peel their eggs, but I try & give advice on things I believe is worthy of that.

My Elysium Trips

--------------------
I MET ME-T, or M-ET, on Voyages via My Elysium Trips.

Remember that Life is But a Trip, & Tripping is Perpetual, Whether Sober or not. So, Tripping isn't anything but going along on a Trip.

My Elysium Trips

InvisibleAroundtheSon
Learning to See
Male User Gallery

Loc: Midwest.
Re: Pickled Eggs [Re: Sir Selzir] * 1
    #24857067 - 12/20/17 05:35 AM (6 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Sir Selzir said:
Chickens don't gobble  :bored:

brock, brock cluck cluck

Offlinechibiabos
Cosmic Pond Scum

Re: Pickled Eggs [Re: My Elysium Trips]
    #24858074 - 12/20/17 02:17 PM (6 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

My Elysium Trips said:
Quote:

Psilosopherr said:

Try adding some Oil to the Boiled Eggs, I heard that long ago but haven't boiled eggs in a long time except past month. And I didn't clean the pot because I recently cooked with it, only a little oil left, I made 2 batches of Soft Boiled Eggs, (about 8 minutes in a boil), & the 1st batch with leftover oil was easier to peel. I also Want to make a bunch of pickled Eggs, but I don't have any eggs to boil as of now. I don't recall Ever making pickled Eggs, but shouldn't take much effort. But if you like Sour, Deli- Style mouth- Puckering Pickles, drain like 1/3 the Pickle Juice & add your desired Vinegar, if you like them Sour & Tart, but everyone has different Likes regarding foods.

So, if you were making a Dozen Eggs in 2 quarts of water, I'd say maybe a Tablespoon of Vegetable Oil should more than suffice to make peeling Eggs easier, but worst case scenario, you don't notice a difference & you lose a little cooking Oil. So, I'm just humbly suggesting this, I honestly don't care how people try & peel their eggs, but I try & give advice on things I believe is worthy of that.

My Elysium Trips

I've had decent luck with a vinegar.  :shrug:

Invisiblekoraks
    #24858087 - 12/20/17 02:23 PM (6 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Psilosopherr said:

I always thought that the hole-punching in the bottom was to prevent the shell from cracking when cooking the egg. AFAIK, it doesn't make much of a difference in terms of peeling it, but hey, who knows. Cold-shocking the egg does help in my experience; take the egg out of the boiling water when it's done and put it under the tap and run cold water over it for 10 seconds or so. Peeling gets even easier if you do it under water; doesn't matter much if it's running water or just a pot with (cold) water in it. But of course, fresh eggs are always a nightmare to peel. Let them sit for a week or so and it'll be much easier.

OfflinePsilosopherr
A psilly goose
Other User Gallery

Re: Pickled Eggs [Re: koraks]
    #24858129 - 12/20/17 02:43 PM (6 years, 3 months ago)

let them sit cooked but unpeeled?

Offlinechibiabos
Cosmic Pond Scum

Re: Pickled Eggs [Re: koraks]
    #24858141 - 12/20/17 02:49 PM (6 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

koraks said:
Quote:

Psilosopherr said:

I always thought that the hole-punching in the bottom was to prevent the shell from cracking when cooking the egg. AFAIK, it doesn't make much of a difference in terms of peeling it, but hey, who knows. Cold-shocking the egg does help in my experience; take the egg out of the boiling water when it's done and put it under the tap and run cold water over it for 10 seconds or so. Peeling gets even easier if you do it under water; doesn't matter much if it's running water or just a pot with (cold) water in it. But of course, fresh eggs are always a nightmare to peel. Let them sit for a week or so and it'll be much easier.

Poking a hole definitely helps with peeling it.  I think that it kills that giant bubble at the bottom of the egg (that the embryo uses to breathe) and lets water in between the membrane and the albumen.  Or something.  Either way, fresh eggs peel really easily if you poke a hole in the air-sac.

Offlineutchwilly
Male
Loc: Olympic Peninsula
Re: Pickled Eggs [Re: chibiabos] * 1
    #24977051 - 02/08/18 06:04 PM (6 years, 1 month ago)

My favorite are red beet eggs. Throw a dozen hard-boiled  eggs in a jar or tupperware, crack open 2 cans/jars of pickled beets, and pour the juice on the eggs. Refrigerate for 3 days or so and bam! Delicious, red beet eggs.

OfflineSpindlymass
wafer thin.
 User Gallery

Loc: Flag
Re: Pickled Eggs [Re: utchwilly] * 1
    #24992610 - 02/13/18 10:41 PM (6 years, 1 month ago)

I like adding some balsamic vinegar to the rest of the cheaper vinegar. It give the eggs a nicer flavor IMO, and they go a very deep,  almost black,  burgundy colour.

Oh man, I need me some of them right now. I'll add it to tomorrow's list during the PC cycle. :thumbup:

--------------------
enough knowledge to get into trouble. Not nearly enough to get out again.

OfflineRomeoPapa
Jackass of All Trades
Male User Gallery

Loc: In the middle
Re: Pickled Eggs [Re: Spindlymass]
    #25057604 - 03/12/18 02:44 AM (6 years, 18 days ago)

Older eggs peel way easier than fresh.

--------------------
It's better to have it and not need it
Than it is to need it and not have it.

InvisibleballsalsaMDiscord
Universally Loathed and Reviled
Male User Gallery

Loc: Foreign Lands
Re: Pickled Eggs [Re: RomeoPapa]
    #25057630 - 03/12/18 03:19 AM (6 years, 18 days ago)

pickled eggs are fucking good but i can never let them sit long enough to pickle all the way.

--------------------

Like cannabis topics? Read my cannabis blog here

Invisible36fuckin5
Alchemycologist

Loc: Diving into Mystical Territori...
Re: Pickled Eggs [Re: RomeoPapa] * 1
    #25073407 - 03/18/18 02:40 PM (6 years, 12 days ago)

Quote:

RomeoPapa said:
Older eggs peel way easier than fresh.

I work in a nice restaurant and I can say that this is definitely true. I make egg mustard potato salad every day, so I peel a dozen or 2 eggs every day. The only tricks that work (and I've tried them all) are using vinegar in the water (a bunch of it) and cold-shocking them, which you should be doing anyway to stop it from over-cooking and creating sulfur compounds.

But you guys talking about taking an egg out of boiling water are doing it wrong. It's so easy to overcook eggs if you actually boil them like that. You put them in a pot and cover them by about 2 inches with cold water and vinegar. Bring it to a rolling boil then cut the heat (move it to a different burner if you're using an electric stove) and cover it. Wait 10-20 minutes then cold shock them to stop them cooking. It's almost impossible to over-cook them this way. I've left them for an hour before and they were still OK.

--------------------
Redd Foxx said:
If you're offended I don't give a shit and don't come see me no more.

Pat The Bunny said:
A punk rock song won't ever change the world, but I can tell you about a couple that changed me.

bodhisatta said:
i recommend common sense and figuring it out.

These are the TEKs I use. They're all as cheap and easy as possible, just like your mom.

OfflinePsilosopherr
A psilly goose
Other User Gallery

Re: Pickled Eggs [Re: 36fuckin5]
    #25073701 - 03/18/18 04:44 PM (6 years, 12 days ago)

:takingnotes:

side note; didn't you used to have a TC tag?

Invisible36fuckin5
Alchemycologist

Loc: Diving into Mystical Territori...
Re: Pickled Eggs [Re: Psilosopherr] * 1
    #25074112 - 03/18/18 07:59 PM (6 years, 11 days ago)

Quote:

Psilosopherr said:
:takingnotes:

side note; didn't you used to have a TC tag?

It doesn't show up in non-cult forums.

--------------------
Redd Foxx said:
If you're offended I don't give a shit and don't come see me no more.

Pat The Bunny said:
A punk rock song won't ever change the world, but I can tell you about a couple that changed me.

bodhisatta said:
i recommend common sense and figuring it out.

These are the TEKs I use. They're all as cheap and easy as possible, just like your mom.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom