Home | Community | Message Board

Mycohaus
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   North Spore Injection Grain Bag

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleShroomway
It's me!
Male

Inoculating grain jars without needing constant agar work
    #24851745 - 12/17/17 01:07 PM (6 years, 3 months ago)

Hi guys,
I came across a thread (cant find it anymore) where someone told about his way of cutting down on agar work. I am currently adopting this method. I am growing agar plates till the myc grows out to dime size. Then I put them in the fridge. I can then grow the plates out in, let's say, 14 day's when I need them to inoculate grain. These plates can be kept in the fridge for two months (or some longer) I guess? I was very happy to across way of working.

Are there any other ways of cutting down on agar work? Can I keep a grain master in the fridge for two months, for example?

Thanks!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineShineonyoucrazy
Apprentice fungi

Loc: Somewhere over the rainbo...
Re: Inoculating grain jars without needing constant agar work [Re: Shroomway]
    #24851810 - 12/17/17 01:43 PM (6 years, 3 months ago)

Making slants.  They can be used for long term storage of cultures and a transfer from the slant can be taken and grown out when you'd like.  They are especially great when you isolate good genetics and want to keep/continue that particular culture.

--------------------
Keep your feet on the ground and your head in the clouds :mushroom2:

InvisibleJHOVA
Post whore
Male User Gallery

Loc: Flag
Re: Inoculating grain jars without needing constant agar work [Re: Shineonyoucrazy]
    #24851905 - 12/17/17 02:30 PM (6 years, 3 months ago)

You could have jars of LC sitting around ready to pour or aspirate.

--------------------
πŸ…ƒ πŸ„΄ πŸ„° πŸ„Ό    πŸ„² πŸ„» πŸ„Έ πŸ„½ πŸ„Ά πŸ…† πŸ… πŸ„° πŸ„Ώ

OfflineShineonyoucrazy
Apprentice fungi

Loc: Somewhere over the rainbo...
Re: Inoculating grain jars without needing constant agar work [Re: JHOVA]
    #24851954 - 12/17/17 02:55 PM (6 years, 3 months ago)

Lc could be a possibility, but op's agar work and sterile procedure would have to be on point.  Lc can turn to shit quick if not done properly.  I'd suggest playing with lc awhile before considering it an option. People seem to have some pretty solid results with the biopsy method, but if your just getting into lc you'd probably still be best off putting it to agar to make sure your lc is clean before inoculation of grains.

--------------------
Keep your feet on the ground and your head in the clouds :mushroom2:

Invisible36fuckin5
Alchemycologist

Loc: Diving into Mystical Territori...
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Inoculating grain jars without needing constant agar work [Re: Shineonyoucrazy]
    #24852034 - 12/17/17 03:42 PM (6 years, 3 months ago)

Putting agar in the fridge that isn't colonized is asking for contams.

If you want to cut down on agar work, don't use agar. Just do MS grows. Otherwise you should do it right.

--------------------
Redd Foxx said:
If you're offended I don't give a shit and don't come see me no more.

Pat The Bunny said:
A punk rock song won't ever change the world, but I can tell you about a couple that changed me.

bodhisatta said:
i recommend common sense and figuring it out.

These are the TEKs I use. They're all as cheap and easy as possible, just like your mom.

InvisibleShroomway
It's me!
Male

Re: Inoculating grain jars without needing constant agar work [Re: 36fuckin5]
    #24852975 - 12/18/17 02:39 AM (6 years, 3 months ago)

I do indeed like to wait a little with LC... But from what I understood it can turn to shit quickly indeed. So it's probably best to use it and make new LC when you need it (I like the biopsy method though).

Slants would still require me to do agar work when I want to inoculate grain. The beauty (I think) of the method that I described is that you can do the agar work once. After that (for a while) you can pull plates from the fridge and grow them out (and be able to see if they contam, cause it's agar).

But maybe you are right 36fuckin5 and there is no way around "continuous" agar work. Things always need to be fresh cause contamination occurs so easy. Every way to store agar for longer then necessary introduces a risk that is too big

Just checking if there are different ways of doing things that save me some agar work...

OfflinePiaseski
Day Tripper
    #24853064 - 12/18/17 05:23 AM (6 years, 3 months ago)

I suppose you could store LI for long periods of time, read of myc/tissue in distilled water lasting a long time in the fridge.

If you split it to syringes/smaller jars and use it all for each pour session you further reduce chance of contams getting inside.

--------------------

InvisibleJHOVA
Post whore
Male User Gallery

Re: Inoculating grain jars without needing constant agar work [Re: Piaseski]
    #24853091 - 12/18/17 06:10 AM (6 years, 3 months ago)

You could have parafilm wrapped petris in the fridge or cakes ready to be slurried. Theres honestly lots of options.

--------------------

InvisibleShroomway
It's me!
Male

#24853205 - 12/18/17 08:14 AM (6 years, 3 months ago)

The more I think about it, the more I like the idear of storing dime sized mycelium petris (you know what I mean). Especially the fact that you have to grow them out AFTER the fridge to get enough myc for inoculation of a few jars. This means you have myc with "normal" vigor cause it grew out at a normal temperature.

Getting interested in LC again btw, now that we talked about it..., might give it a try again!

InvisibleJHOVA
Post whore
Male User Gallery

#24853261 - 12/18/17 08:44 AM (6 years, 3 months ago)

I always get slow colonization from wedges. This has lead me to looking at eatyualives body of work and others that have used slurries and cornmeal plates.

My goal like yours is to do less work and be able to just pump out shrooms.

My thoughts right now are adapt munch, josex, and eatyuive teks into one.
The process will be make biopsy LC and cornmeal plates extra dry for LC inoculation. Inoculate the cornmeal plates and get rapid colonization in 3-4 days?(wedges so far look on track for 5-7 day colonization).

PC separate 1/2 pint jars with 1/4 water. Tiger drop the cornmeal plates into the sterile water. Blenderlesy shake the fuck outta them then inoculate massive amounts of jars.

I plan on keeping the coornmeal plates fully cllonized in the fridge in a lunch pail.
Much more testing must be done but to me that seems simple and fast once setup.

--------------------

InvisibleShroomway
It's me!
Male

#24853399 - 12/18/17 09:58 AM (6 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

JHOVA said:
I always get slow colonization from wedges. This has lead me to looking at eatyualives body of work and others that have used slurries and cornmeal plates.

My goal like yours is to do less work and be able to just pump out shrooms.

My thoughts right now are adapt munch, josex, and eatyuive teks into one.
The process will be make biopsy LC and cornmeal plates extra dry for LC inoculation. Inoculate the cornmeal plates and get rapid colonization in 3-4 days?(wedges so far look on track for 5-7 day colonization).

PC separate 1/2 pint jars with 1/4 water. Tiger drop the cornmeal plates into the sterile water. Blenderlesy shake the fuck outta them then inoculate massive amounts of jars.

I plan on keeping the coornmeal plates fully cllonized in the fridge in a lunch pail.
Much more testing must be done but to me that seems simple and fast once setup.

What is it exactly what makes you follow that strategy? What advantage are seeking? For example; you could also use the LC that you start with to inoculate jars?

InvisibleJHOVA
Post whore
Male User Gallery

#24853442 - 12/18/17 10:28 AM (6 years, 3 months ago)

Cornmeal takes like 4-5 days to fully colonize a quart jar. LC from josex thread 5-10 days with the average around 6-7.

Thats another thing i need to test out.:awesomenod:

--------------------

OfflineWeavieWonder
Time Travel Sucks
Male User Gallery

Loc: USA Flag
Re: Inoculating grain jars without needing constant agar work *DELETED* [Re: JHOVA]
    #24853456 - 12/18/17 10:34 AM (6 years, 3 months ago)

Post deleted by WeavieWonder

Reason for deletion: duplicate, whoops

OfflineWeavieWonder
Time Travel Sucks
Male User Gallery

Re: Inoculating grain jars without needing constant agar work [Re: WeavieWonder]
    #24853466 - 12/18/17 10:39 AM (6 years, 3 months ago)

:hi:
Quote:

Shroomway Said:Things always need to be fresh cause contamination occurs so easy. Every way to store agar for longer then necessary introduces a risk that is too big

^This.
There isn't any getting around doing agar work, but you can minimize it.

Obtaining clean cultures from spore has been the most labor intensive part of agar for me.  Once it's clean though, save your hard work on slants.  If you want to grow a particular culture in the future, its just a matter of putting it back on petri to do a couple transfers before using for inoculant.  Muuuch faster than starting from spore. 

Limiting the number of species you grow at a time is a consideration.  Batch size too.  For actives, I like to grow big batches so I have a supply for at least a year.  Can definitely handle some light agar work once a year.  Different story for some gourmet species, as some are best consumed fresh like oysters.

Edited by WeavieWonder (12/18/17 10:46 AM)

InvisibleShroomway
It's me!
Male

Re: Inoculating grain jars without needing constant agar work [Re: WeavieWonder]
    #24853526 - 12/18/17 11:14 AM (6 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

WeavieWonder said::hi:
Quote:

Shroomway Said:Things always need to be fresh cause contamination occurs so easy. Every way to store agar for longer then necessary introduces a risk that is too big

^This.
There isn't any getting around doing agar work, but you can minimize it.

Obtaining clean cultures from spore has been the most labor intensive part of agar for me.  Once it's clean though, save your hard work on slants.  If you want to grow a particular culture in the future, its just a matter of putting it back on petri to do a couple transfers before using for inoculant.  Muuuch faster than starting from spore. 

Limiting the number of species you grow at a time is a consideration.  Batch size too.  For actives, I like to grow big batches so I have a supply for at least a year.  Can definitely handle some light agar work once a year.  Different story for some gourmet species, as some are best consumed fresh like oysters.

I was actually after something else then how to store a particular culture long term. But even though thanks for your two cents! Again, I think the method I started my post with I am going to try... And probably some LC experimenting

@Jhova:
Ah, OK..., that is really fast indeed :smile:

OfflineWeavieWonder
Time Travel Sucks
Male User Gallery

#24853600 - 12/18/17 12:09 PM (6 years, 3 months ago)

Other than trying to minimize agar work, not quite sure what you're shooting for:shrug:.  I'm confident you'll get something figured out though:thumbup:.  LC sounds fun!  This is next on my list of things to learn.  My next indoor grow will be Lions Mane, which from what I understand thus far requires LC.  Was able to successfully make LI, so hopefully the learning curve for LC will be short.  Have you researched any recipes?

InvisibleShroomway
It's me!
Male

#24855263 - 12/19/17 06:08 AM (6 years, 3 months ago)

Sometimes I ask a question and I am too lazy when I notice my question requires additional energy to clarify what I mean :wink:. I guess I meant: I am looking for a way to store myc for the mid-long range term, in such a way that the work already has been done and it's ready to inoc grain. But I think I found it :smile::). Yeahhhh! Hahaha. See how it works out for me..

When it comes to LC I dont have a recipe in mind actually. Maybe malt extract. Do you have something in mind yet?

I do have a jar in mind though. It's a proteine shaker with a separate (loose, not attached) metal spiral in it that agitates the contents if you shake...

InvisibleJHOVA
Post whore
Male User Gallery

#24855272 - 12/19/17 06:17 AM (6 years, 3 months ago)

You should join the biopsy thread. LC can be made with brf, pulverized grains, or grain soak water. Im trying 2 grams of brf: 500 ml for my first go.

--------------------

InvisibleViolet
 User Gallery

#24855373 - 12/19/17 08:06 AM (6 years, 3 months ago)

I don’t understand this talk against storing uncolonized agar in the fridge.
To the point that I’m going to recommend you throw those comments out, including 365’s.
No, PARTICULARLY his, because it makes the opposite of sense.

The ***POINT*** of uncolonized agar is to see if contaminations get on it.
If the supposed threat is contams from the agar getting into the plate, then (1) you want to see them grow out, not sit idly on top of mycelium you’re gonna throw into a jar of new material, and (2) if they can somehow get in there in the fridge they can do it anywhere and you need to contain your agar better anyway, fridge makes little difference.

Master slants, for instance, ideally keep dime-sized growth, so you always have leading edges to take (even when growth slowly continues) and the agar doesn’t get all colonized and consumed and the mycelium switch life cycle phases.

As for cutting down on agar work.
I like keeping colonized grain masters of grass seed in the fridge. Powerful inoculant that goes a long way. I use a sterilized spoon to put one spoonful in a jar, and the source jar can start many dozens of quart jars.
I also use liquid cultures when not doing that.

But frankly a single agar dish can start many grain masters with the patience to let a couple wedge growth sites expand then shaking.

Be on the lookout for me posting an elaborate version of my seed petri tek in the fairly near future. It’s a powerful shortcut that also greatly reduces my agar use.

--------------------
Intentionally or not, here in mushcult we are purveyors of love culture and enlightenment movement. Let's try to act like it!

PODS TEK - Growing Invitro with BRF/verm or Grass Seed containers
The simplest, quickest, safest tek!  For beginners, culturers, lazy people, stealth lovers, contam haters, and alternative seekers!
β€’ Violet's Teks and Posts β€’

InvisibleJHOVA
Post whore
Male User Gallery

Re: Inoculating grain jars without needing constant agar work [Re: Violet]
    #24855379 - 12/19/17 08:12 AM (6 years, 3 months ago)

Sounds similar to pf tek spooned to grain that eat did violet.

I think most are against storing agar in their fridge because most fridges are dirty as fuck.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   North Spore Injection Grain Bag