Home | Community | Message Board

Edabea
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Advanced Mycology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: Agar, Laminar Flow Hood, Microscope, Paul Stamets, Petri Dish

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineErik006
MushroomCultivator

Loc: Ontario
Mycelium Culture
    #2484796 - 03/30/04 08:43 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

Im looking to get into culture work, now, I'ce done some of the basic agar culturing like strain isolation and cloning. But I'm really interested in the more 'advanced' stuff.

I guess what im basicly thinking about is, hybridization of different substrain, looking at microscopic differences between strains/substrains and species. Maybe taking a look at exposure of different kinds of stimulatory strains of certain molds, or the exposure of small amounts of different mold to test and if possible develop contamination resistant strains.

I realize im going to need to construct a clean room and stuff for this, but the facilities are available.

My Question to you is, is anybody on this forum doing this, can you point me in a direction, perhaps suggest some reading material?

Thanks  :loveeyes:

Erik006

--------------------
At last you know what ineffable is, and what ecstacy means

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Anonymous

Re: Mycelium Culture [Re: Erik006]
    #2484921 - 03/30/04 09:12 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

Genetics and Breeding of Edible Mushrooms, IN the Shroomery Book Store, is EXcellent.

As far as physiology books, you are very limited as well. I have a good one at home, and can post the name when I have a chance. It Is Fungal Physiology, but I don't remember the author.

The Mushroom cultivator has a great index to competitor organisms.

Other then that it is all just a bunch of tedious, but FUN, lab work.

Spore dilutions, isolation of monokaryons/dikaryons, and mating or testing them on various substrates.
A dissecting microscope and a regular light microscope. Lots of petris, and media ingredients, maybe some competitor organisms, you can purchase or isolate from the wild.

It is nice to see some interest in this sort of thing. Good luck

I am personally interested in compatability studies of Copelandias. We definetly need someone to work on the Psilocybe cubensis Strain compatability issues.

Any of the physiological studies can only help, and The fungal physiology book I got has great starting points. Studies done on other fungi, and clasification of each nutrient, etc...

The breeding book above is EXCELLENT. It has studies done, and gives you Templates to duplicate with whatever species you want to work with.

The only limitation is there is NO BIG PAYOFF at the end. If you got some spare cash, and spare time, you could really assist with gathering Knowledge.

A search through the shroomery bookstore is a great start. After that just do Searches on Fungal genetics and Fungal physiology. Becasue of the types of Fungi we deal with, WE HAVE TO DO ALL THe WORK OURSELVES specific to certain species. But all the work done on other species is EXTREMELY helpful for pointing us in the right directions.

Anonymous

#2484968 - 03/30/04 09:25 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

fungi perfecti has a series of books on ID. One of them is identifying to genus by microscopic features. It is the best single source book on morphology at the microscopic level I have seen.

This book can make the microscope alot friendlier, and make the differences between strains look alot more substantial.

OfflineSuntzu
Geek
 User Gallery

#2484980 - 03/30/04 09:28 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

I've never made it this far, but I'd recommend trying to use flat-bottom 96 well culture plates for crossings.  It would cut down on the number of plates significantly.  The question is whether you could use a scope on those plates to examine crossings for clamp connections and such.  Maybe visual would be enough?  I don't really know, but it seems like a good way to do high numbers of matings.  A drop or two of agar in each well :wink:

OfflineMycena
mycoexplorer
Loc: indonesia
Re: Mycelium Culture [Re: Suntzu]
    #2486243 - 03/31/04 04:49 AM (12 years, 8 months ago)

I just bought that book and its on the way
cant wait...

Anything by Chang is hot

Also did a bit of a shop n got RG wassons soma: divine mushroom of immortality (1968) and a few more on Archaeology, shamanism and Ethnomedicianl topics.
I love books.

Anonymous

#2487505 - 03/31/04 05:24 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

Here are the books.

How to Identify Mushrooms to Genus Three: Microscopic features
David Largent,David Johnson, Roy Watling
Mad River Press Inc.

Fungal Nutrition and Physiology
Michael O. Garraway
Robert C. Evans
Krieger Publishing Company 1991

Genetics and Breeding of Edible Mushrooms
Specifically Chapter 4 on Production of a Novel White Flammulina velutipes by breeding.  This chapter is a GREAT study on hybridization, and transfering traits from 1 strain to another.  The best I have seen.

I agree any way you can do lots of tests on a single petri would be best!!!  On a standard petri you can do 25 with maintaining sufficent space for each colony to grow out a bit, for transfers.  96 sounds alot better :thumbup:

OfflineErik006
MushroomCultivator

Loc: Ontario
Re: Mycelium Culture [Re: ]
    #2487936 - 03/31/04 08:08 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

Thanks for all the replies, they are very very welcome!

I will definatly be purchasing these books, but ofcourse I already have TMC. I recently bought some pyrex petri dishes, I believe they are 150 mm by 15 mm, and these are very big compared to regular pertris, a pleasure to work with also.

I am very interested in doing some culturing and research on tampanensis, mexicana, and copelandia's. Im going to have to acquire sporeprints or cultures of these, perhaps someone has looked at these species on a microscopic level before? I'd like to hear from your experiences!

Also, In constructing a clean room, would I best use a flow hood, or for example use a ceiling mounted flow cabinet?

Thanks!

Erik006

--------------------
At last you know what ineffable is, and what ecstacy means

Anonymous

#2504184 - 04/01/04 12:39 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

Search under Copelandia variation and Teonan. There is a thread with pretty much all of the strains of Copelandia, with microscopy pictures.

These are the easiest of the funny mushrooms to work with under a scope. All the identifying features(cystidia) are very large.

Some of the other species lack pleurocystidia, and have hayline cheliocystidia that are very difficult to observe without stains.

I would say Copelandia is the best one for learning features at the microscopic level. NO STAINING NECESSARY. Using water only helps distinguish features that may get washed out in the staining.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: Agar, Laminar Flow Hood, Microscope, Paul Stamets, Petri Dish

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Advanced Mycology