Home | Community | Message Board

Magic-Mushrooms-Shop.com
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   North Spore Injection Grain Bag

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinechan0482
Humble student
I'm a teapot

First timer having problems, can you help trouble shoot please ?
    #24847310 - 12/15/17 08:14 AM (6 years, 3 months ago)

This is my first grow and things seem to have been going quite well up to this point but since getting the cakes into the fruiting chamber I'm not sure if I'm doing things right. Could you please help troubleshoot my setup to determine where my mistakes might be? Thank you.

It seems like something is awry with my fruiting chamber because some of the pins seem like they're aborting and the few healthy mushrooms are finishing a little before I expected them to. Some of the cakes (and now a couple of the mushrooms) are showing some coloration as well.. i posted about it in the contam forum and was told it was bruising. I hadn't handled the cakes since putting them in the fruiting chamber so I'm  told it was possibly from  be coming to dry?

I have 5in of Perlite, 2in grid 1/4in holes, with a 65k cfl light above it. Misting and fanning at least 3x day. FC is in a basement room with a humidifier going to keep the ambient humidity above 40%, temp ranges 65-75, there is one register 6ft away that blows heat into the room from the furnace.

Only one of the cakes is really popping well, the other ones seem to be struggling kind of and some of the pins look like they might be aborting.

I'm also wondering about harvesting those healthy ish looking mushrooms off the cake before all the rest of the cakes. Is it bad to harvest them not all at the same time? What should I do at this point forget this first flush and just dunk the cakes and hope for a better 2nd flush? Can this first flush still be saved?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineBikerfool
Your Local Edgelord
Male

Re: First timer having problems, can you help trouble shoot please ? [Re: chan0482]
    #24847391 - 12/15/17 08:52 AM (6 years, 3 months ago)

I don't see any reason to place the light on top of the fruiting chamber, it's probably drying out the cakes. Is your perilite fully saturated? 42% is low.

My first guess is the light and subsequent dryness. Re-hydrate after your first flush.
If you're growing multi-spore these results aren't uncommon and that's why experienced growers stick with clones and isolates.

Offlinechan0482
Humble student
I'm a teapot

Re: First timer having problems, can you help trouble shoot please ? [Re: Bikerfool]
    #24847416 - 12/15/17 09:13 AM (6 years, 3 months ago)

I just lowered the light on to the top of the fruiting chamber yesterday, it was hanging about a foot above it. I dropped it to try and help with a little bit of heat inside the fruiting chamber, I'll raise it backup if you think that's best. I'm growing from a syringe that I bought from a sponsored vendor on this site, so I'm not sure but i think that's multi spore. The Perlite was fully soaked about 2 weeks ago before it went into the fruiting chamber it's been misted and whatnot since then but I'm not sure how wet it really is at this point.

Quote:

Bikerfool said:
Is your perilite fully saturated? 42% is low.

That digital hygro/therm is sitting outside of the fruiting chamber, right next to it because I wanted a reading of the ambient temperature and humidity in the room since I live in the Midwest and it's wintertime.

Edited by chan0482 (12/15/17 09:17 AM)

OfflineBikerfool
Your Local Edgelord
Male

Re: First timer having problems, can you help trouble shoot please ? [Re: chan0482]
    #24848028 - 12/15/17 02:27 PM (6 years, 3 months ago)

It won't hurt anything to re-hydrate the perilite. I have far fewer holes in my fruiting chamber, the shotgun approach is good but perhaps you'll have to be more diligent about re-hydrating the perilite.

Trying to use the lamp for heat may dry things out more quickly and not be very consistent.
You can buy a thermostat switch for about $30 which will kick on a space heater everytime the temp drops below the temp you choose. It's generally better to try to heat the entire room rather than just the fruiting chamber.

A spore syringe purchased from a vendor is considered "multispore."

Harvest, soak your cakes and fruit again and I think your next flush will be better. Sometimes the 2nd flush is more prolific than the 1st.

Offlinechan0482
Humble student
I'm a teapot

Re: First timer having problems, can you help trouble shoot please ? [Re: Bikerfool]
    #24848075 - 12/15/17 02:44 PM (6 years, 3 months ago)

Thanks a bunch for the encouragement! Since my last post i went out and grabbed a nesco dehydrator for a nice deal, took all the cakes out and rehydrated the perlite, harvested the one cake and dunked it, put the fresh mushrooms in the dehydrator, and replaced the other 7 cakes in the fc/bottom watered. Much accomplished today! :laugh:

OfflinePsilicon
Really Nice Guy

#24848239 - 12/15/17 04:03 PM (6 years, 3 months ago)

That pattern of that bruising doesn't really fit well with drying out.  If your perlite feels wet to the touch when you sink your finger in it, it's wet enough.  I've had bruising look like that when I got a little close with my mister. Could that have happened?

--------------------
Agar - what, why and how?  Everything a beginner needs to know.
Oat Prep Tek
Bored?  Please take one of my experiments off my hands.

Offlinechan0482
Humble student
I'm a teapot

Re: First timer having problems, can you help trouble shoot please ? [Re: Psilicon]
    #24852548 - 12/17/17 07:45 PM (6 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Psilicon said:
That pattern of that bruising doesn't really fit well with drying out.  If your perlite feels wet to the touch when you sink your finger in it, it's wet enough.  I've had bruising look like that when I got a little close with my mister. Could that have happened?

I have my mister set to a fine mist, no stream. I suppose it could have gotten to close though. Honestly i don't have the experience to determine what happened haha!

OfflinePsilicon
Really Nice Guy

#24852799 - 12/17/17 10:10 PM (6 years, 3 months ago)

I had mine set to a fine mist, too.  Well, it was a fine mist after a certain distance, but the only way a little squirt nozzle can create a fine mist is by making a whole lot of really tiny super-fast streams of water which kind of break apart when they meet the air. 

Now this might surprise you, but I kind of like getting fucked up.  And one day I got a little too close and a little too overzealous while I was watering my babies and what happened looked a lot like what you have.

--------------------
Agar - what, why and how?  Everything a beginner needs to know.
Oat Prep Tek
Bored?  Please take one of my experiments off my hands.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   North Spore Injection Grain Bag