Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | Next >
InvisibleShroomymancer
Copy Cat
 User Gallery

Re: Tuning up my car and trying to get an old truck running, not a big car guy, some Q's [Re: Psilosopherr] * 1
    #24831799 - 12/07/17 11:41 AM (6 years, 3 months ago)

Yeah anything under 12 and you know its going bad. I think it'll be closer to 14 when running.

--------------------
beep boop

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflinePsilosopherr
A psilly goose
Other User Gallery

Re: Tuning up my car and trying to get an old truck running, not a big car guy, some Q's [Re: Shroomymancer] * 1
    #24836616 - 12/09/17 07:12 PM (6 years, 3 months ago)

taking apart the clutch now to try to figure out why the pedal goes all the way to the floor and stays there. No obvious signs in the disassembled pedal, taking off the master cylinder next.

OfflineLogicaL ChaosM
Ascension Energy & Alien UFOs
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: The Inexpressible... Flag
Re: Tuning up my car and trying to get an old truck running, not a big car guy, some Q's [Re: Psilosopherr] * 1
    #24836891 - 12/09/17 11:34 PM (6 years, 3 months ago)

When a car battery doesnt reach at least 12v after a charge, its likely no good.

Also some batteries will get to 12v but wont have the amperage to turn over the starter.

Should be around 13-14volts as already mentioned.

OfflineTheUpsideDown
Stranger Thing

Loc: Georgia
Re: Tuning up my car and trying to get an old truck running, not a big car guy, some Q's [Re: LogicaL Chaos] * 2
    #24837158 - 12/10/17 06:57 AM (6 years, 3 months ago)

The battery should read above 12v. More importantly are cold crank amps, amperage is a far better test of battery health. Any auto parts store can test that.

Check your alternator. It should be putting out over 13v. Most auto parts stores can test alternators as well, if you can't get the vehicle running.

An easy way to test an alternator is to start the vehicle and then disconnect the hot battery cable. If the vehicle continues to run, the alternator is providing enough juice to keep it going. If the vehicle shuts down, it was running off the battery's juice and the alternator is shot.

As for cooling systems, I would highly recommend investing in a pressure test kit. They aren't that expensive and will save you so much hassle. You can test both the radiator cap and the entire cooling system. You basically put pressure in the system similar to that which exists when the engine is running at temp, and the pressure is going to push coolant out anywhere it can and if there is a leak, you'll find it.

Before you tear the transmission away from the block to check your clutch, make sure the clutch pedal cable is attached at both ends, and isn't broken. If your vehicle has a clutch cylinder make sure you do a thorough check of the master and slave cylinder for leaks and make sure it has enough fluid. If it doesn't, the pedal will go to the floor and won't come back up just as you are describing.

Best advise I can give you from my years of working as a diesel mechanic at a Navistar/Internation/Ford/Isuzu dealership is this: always start with the simple solutions first. Work your way to the more complicated issues, you'll make sure you don't miss the small details that way and may save a lot of time and money.

--------------------
My Greenhouse, with blueprints!

OfflinePsilosopherr
A psilly goose
Other User Gallery

Re: Tuning up my car and trying to get an old truck running, not a big car guy, some Q's [Re: TheUpsideDown] * 1
    #24837437 - 12/10/17 10:23 AM (6 years, 3 months ago)

thanks for the detailed response :grin:

Thats where I'd been looking so far clutch wise, it seemed like the issue had to do with the pushrods connection to the master cylinder.

Also, the cylinder was totally empty when I first started working on the truck again. So there's gotta be a leak somewhere. I'm wondering if its the slave cylinder since putting new fluid in the master cylinder didn't produce a leak, and as far as I can tell all the lines look good.

occams razor is the lesson of life lately :cheers:

OfflinePsilosopherr
A psilly goose
Other User Gallery

#24837577 - 12/10/17 11:47 AM (6 years, 3 months ago)

hmm, I hope I'm not leaving the clutch lines open too long, forgot brake fluid is hygroscopic. Should I maybe plug up the line?

Should probably flush the whole system of fluid?

Pushing on the piston in the cylinder squirted fluid all over me so we're all good there...it seemed like the return spring for the clutch pedal itself was good, scratching my head a bit over here. You said a leak in the system would cause that pedal symptom though, so I guess I'll go in search of that.

I'm wondering if the line might be clogged since the pushrod seemed to work right, but never seemed to push fluid out of the master cylinder. I had pumped the pedal repeatedly with fluid in the master with no change in level. bad idea to put air through the tubes probably

OfflinePsilosopherr
A psilly goose
Other User Gallery

#24837715 - 12/10/17 01:10 PM (6 years, 3 months ago)

doing some more internet reading, sometimes I get glued to my haynes manual and forget how informational a simple google search can be, sorry for dumb q's

any tricks for determining where the leak is? gonna go check the slave now

OfflinePsilosopherr
A psilly goose
Other User Gallery

Re: Tuning up my car and trying to get an old truck running, not a big car guy, some Q's [Re: Psilosopherr] * 2
    #24838071 - 12/10/17 04:50 PM (6 years, 3 months ago)

I guess I probably should have realized this sooner but bleeding the clutch system revealed the leak immediately :aweyeah: twas in the slave cylinder

wasn't a total waste of time though, master cylinder was all full of guk that needed cleanin

I'm feeling a lot better about this now, get myself a battery and a slave cylinder and I can at least give her a test drive I hope

Edited by Psilosopherr (12/10/17 05:31 PM)

OfflineLogicaL ChaosM
Ascension Energy & Alien UFOs
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: The Inexpressible... Flag
    #24839126 - 12/11/17 07:43 AM (6 years, 3 months ago)

Nice. :thumbup:

InvisibleGrey Fox

#24839244 - 12/11/17 08:55 AM (6 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Psilosopherr said:
I guess I probably should have realized this sooner but bleeding the clutch system revealed the leak immediately :aweyeah: twas in the slave cylinder

wasn't a total waste of time though, master cylinder was all full of guk that needed cleanin

I'm feeling a lot better about this now, get myself a battery and a slave cylinder and I can at least give her a test drive I hope

That's good. Hope everything works​!

--------------------
IT WAS ALL A DREAM

OfflineOne of Us
Stranger
 User Gallery

#24839277 - 12/11/17 09:13 AM (6 years, 3 months ago)

Just posting here so I can find it later and see if you got the truck to start.

Bringing a car back to life is really exciting, even if it's not my car :lol:

I haven't done it personally (yet), but I have a car that's been sitting for about 6 years that I'm hoping to get running again when I get my tax return.

--------------------
LAGM 2021
LAGM 2020
Trade List

InvisibleShroomymancer
Copy Cat
 User Gallery

Re: Tuning up my car and trying to get an old truck running, not a big car guy, some Q's [Re: One of Us] * 1
    #24839303 - 12/11/17 09:38 AM (6 years, 3 months ago)

Yeah I've never worked on a clutch before. Next time post a few pictures, I like learning new things :smile:

--------------------
beep boop

OfflinePsilosopherr
A psilly goose
Other User Gallery

Re: Tuning up my car and trying to get an old truck running, not a big car guy, some Q's [Re: Shroomymancer] * 1
    #24839650 - 12/11/17 01:48 PM (6 years, 3 months ago)

Well, put new brake fluid in and pumped the brakes to try to reveal a leak and all seemed well, possible I just let the fluid get low...though I'm still suspicious. Maybe a problem will reveal itself when I get someone to help me bleed them later

That oil leak near the spark plugs I may have mentioned earlier is worse than I thought, my oil gets depleted quite quickly. blerg

edit: well the good news is that it appears to be the least intensive engine oil seal to replace. Though I would need to jack up my engine enough to remove one of the engine mounts, probably sounds scarier than it is :lol: But yeah, just looks like the camshaft cover gasket, leaks all over the spark plug area and smokes. Explains why my old plugs were all oily, oh shit my new plugs! :shakefist:

Edited by Psilosopherr (12/11/17 03:29 PM)

OfflinePsilosopherr
A psilly goose
Other User Gallery

#24852391 - 12/17/17 06:44 PM (6 years, 3 months ago)

well I've got the new slave cylinder installed, that was a real bitch. Had been doing really well with my anger problems throughout this project but that cylinder is now well aware it's a shit eating cunt.

When trying to bleed I was only getting a tiny blip of bubbles at a time and no resistance in the pedal. So I tried pumping the pedal with a closed bleed bolt, this finally got some fluid through the system, no leaks.

But the pedal still doesnt come back up after being depressed, gonna try to bleed it again later to see if its acts more normal.

Thinking maybe there's something wrong with the master cylinder, might as well just replace it eh. The spring on the pedal itself appears to be in place and work right, dont think thats it but maybe.

Edited by Psilosopherr (12/17/17 06:47 PM)

OfflinePsilosopherr
A psilly goose
Other User Gallery

#24855797 - 12/19/17 12:37 PM (6 years, 3 months ago)

Alright, clutch pedal is coming back up now after pumping it for a while and sitting overnight. :awedance:

Found the leaky brake hose in my accord and about to swap those out.

How bad is it to be lazy about bleeding brakes/clutches for a few days?

Invisiblerackem
Male User Gallery

#24855832 - 12/19/17 12:55 PM (6 years, 3 months ago)

it really isnt that horrible.

i left my girls brakes open overnight. just bled when i had a chance and went on with life.

--------------------

InvisibleShroomymancer
Copy Cat
 User Gallery

#24856602 - 12/19/17 08:43 PM (6 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Psilosopherr said:
Alright, clutch pedal is coming back up now after pumping it for a while and sitting overnight. :awedance:

Found the leaky brake hose in my accord and about to swap those out.

How bad is it to be lazy about bleeding brakes/clutches for a few days?

Really depends how bad the brake fluid is. That stuff is made to compress under pressure (or the opposite?) and when it gets really old it won't do that anymore. From one second to the next you could have pedal to the floor and nothing. Happened to me on an off ramp and I shit myself. Barely stopped before the intersection on 1/4 mile ramp.  I bled all lines and this dark green/black fluid came out.

--------------------
beep boop

OfflinePsilosopherr
A psilly goose
Other User Gallery

#24856786 - 12/19/17 11:22 PM (6 years, 3 months ago)

Yeah the fluid in the cylinder itself is dark and cloudy compared to the clear stuff straight from the bottle.

OfflinePsilosopherr
A psilly goose
Other User Gallery

#24856797 - 12/19/17 11:38 PM (6 years, 3 months ago)

gave charging the battery another go and after a long time it got to a full charge.

On attempting to start the truck with this it made a rapid but weak futututututtututut noise. Not a normal cranking sound.

InvisibleShroomymancer
Copy Cat
 User Gallery

#24857204 - 12/20/17 07:27 AM (6 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Psilosopherr said:
gave charging the battery another go and after a long time it got to a full charge.

On attempting to start the truck with this it made a rapid but weak futututututtututut noise. Not a normal cranking sound.

Full charge battery is putting out 12v? or it's the 23 year old battery still?

--------------------
beep boop

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | Next >

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: Ythan, Anno, Thor, Link, Seuss
26,856 topic views. 0 members, 2 guests and 1 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2024 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.03 seconds spending 0.009 seconds on 16 queries.