Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
OfflineTiberjuggaligger
Galaxy Creeper

Loc: USA
Mom Has Hallucinations For A Year Before Figuring Out Bracelet With Jequirity Beads Is Culprit
    #24822649 - 12/02/17 11:44 PM (6 years, 3 months ago)

https://www.littlethings.com/jequirity-bead-bracelet/amp/

Doctors thought she was on drugs. Jo Wollacott, a mother of two from the United Kingdom, had been having hallucinations, hives, and vomiting.
All of her signs pointed to drugs, but her blood tests came back negative. For an entire year, doctors could find no cause.

“I was also in hospital for a few days with hallucinations — I did not know what was going on. Doctors could not work out what was wrong with me. They did not know what medication to put me on,” Jo told SWNS.

The illness ravaged her life. Her relationship with her boyfriend fell apart, she could no longer work and had to sell her home. It was only when Jo took off a bracelet she had bought right around the time she got sick that her symptoms started to fade.

A few weeks later, Jo’s son came home from school with a letter. The letter warned parents about jequirity bean bracelets and their toxic effects. It was the same kind of bracelet she’d ordered online and begun to wear when her symptoms started.

“The letter had a picture of my bracelet on. When I got the warning letter, I came home and got the bracelet and realized how long I’d been wearing it for,” Jo says. “I couldn’t believe it. When I found out hallucinations were part of the side effects of the bead poisoning, I started to piece things together.”

Jequirity seed beads, or “love beads,” are known for their black and red coloring. While the beads may look pretty, they are derived from the deadly seed of the Peruvian plant abrus precatorious. The seed contains the toxin abrin, which can kill in doses as small as 3 micrograms. Similar to ricin, abrin is banned under the Terrorism Act, since it can be used in chemical warfare.

If you see a bracelet like this, take if off, bag it, and dispose of it. As a precaution, owners should wash their hands and avoid touching the eye area.

--------------------

Kirk: What does God need with a starship?
McCoy: Jim, what are you doing?
Kirk: I'm asking a question.
"God": Who is this creature?
Kirk: Who am I? Don't you know? Aren't you God?
Sybok: He has his doubts.
"God": You doubt me?
Kirk: I seek proof.
McCoy: Jim! You don't ask the Almighty for his ID

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinestzacrack
Stranger
 User Gallery

Loc: United States
Re: Mom Has Hallucinations For A Year Before Figuring Out Bracelet With Jequirity Beads Is Culprit [Re: Tiberjuggaligger]
    #24823160 - 12/03/17 08:10 AM (6 years, 3 months ago)

Creepy

Invisibledurian_2008
Cornucopian Eating an Elephant
 User Gallery

Loc: Raccoon City
Re: Mom Has Hallucinations For A Year Before Figuring Out Bracelet With Jequirity Beads Is Culprit [Re: stzacrack]
    #24823190 - 12/03/17 08:32 AM (6 years, 3 months ago)

Jequirity Beads :awesomenod:

Quote:

https://davesgarden.com/guides/articles/view/3597/

One of the most popular uses of the colorful beans is in jewelry and rosaries, lending the bean another of its common names, rosary pea. It is also commonly used in bracelets worn around the wrist or ankle in the West Indies to ward off the "evil eye." This tradition of using the beans as beads for jewelry seems to lead to the most accidental poisonings. As I read more about these petite peas, I learned that jewelry makers have died from pricking their fingers while manually drilling through the tough hulls on the outside of the beans, or from getting the highly toxic powder on their fingers and ingesting it or rubbing it into their eyes. There is also a serious risk that unsuspecting children (and even adults) will mouth the colorful beads or pull them loose from the jewelry, then chew or swallow them.

Reportedly, if the tough husks are intact, the bean can pass through the digestive system intact without harming the person who swallowed it. If it is chewed, cracked, or damaged from drilling or wear, however, it releases abrin, one of the most potent poisons in the plant world. Even one bean contains enough abrin to kill an adult, and the prognosis for those who have ingested it is not good. They also pose a danger to those with livestock and pets, as animals that browse on the plant can ingest the seeds. I stumbled across several reports of horses dying from consuming these poisonous plants...

...In China, they are known as "mutual love beads" and are a traditional token of fidelity. 

Is the fact that it intoxicates people supposed to be religious?

Offlinemusiclover420
psychonaut
Male User Gallery

Loc: PNW
Re: Mom Has Hallucinations For A Year Before Figuring Out Bracelet With Jequirity Beads Is Culprit [Re: durian_2008]
    #24823385 - 12/03/17 10:24 AM (6 years, 3 months ago)

:eek:

--------------------
Don't worry about me, I've got all that I need. And I'm singing my song to the sky

You know how it feels, With the breeze of the sun in your eyes. Not minding that time's passing by

I've got all and more, My smile, just as before. Is all that I carry with me

I talk to myself, I need nobody else. I'm lost and I'm mine, yes I'm free

Invisibletealeaf
Just Touch It
 User Gallery

Re: Mom Has Hallucinations For A Year Before Figuring Out Bracelet With Jequirity Beads Is Culprit [Re: musiclover420]
    #24823582 - 12/03/17 12:15 PM (6 years, 3 months ago)

That's so crazy. I have a necklace that I scooped up while living in Jamaica made of jequirty seeds. I only wore it a few times because it made me feel sick as well. I thought it was in my head but every time I wore it, it made me feel bad. No shit, I had no idea what the seeds were until I read this article.

OfflineCLIT
Stranger
Re: Mom Has Hallucinations For A Year Before Figuring Out Bracelet With Jequirity Beads Is Culprit [Re: tealeaf]
    #24831242 - 12/07/17 03:45 AM (6 years, 3 months ago)

I wore a cloth-looking necklace that was said to have magnets in them, not sure if whatever was in it was making me feel a lot of rage...

I never opened to check what was in that cloth necklace.

Invisibledurian_2008
Cornucopian Eating an Elephant
 User Gallery

Loc: Raccoon City
Re: Mom Has Hallucinations For A Year Before Figuring Out Bracelet With Jequirity Beads Is Culprit [Re: CLIT]
    #24831911 - 12/07/17 12:39 PM (6 years, 3 months ago)

I believe in things like that, but usually imagine it, in terms of a psychic phenomenon.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds