Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomCube.com
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate, Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Aquarium Heater, Spawn Bags, Ultrasonic Humidifier

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineUbbieCubie
Stranger
Bulk grow/monotub tub questions.
    #24830453 - 12/06/17 08:01 PM (3 years, 5 months ago)

I’m about to start my first bulk grow. I have 2 spawn bags, one contains Pink Buffalo and the other Golden Teachers. Do you guys suggest I use one tub and crumble the spawn up side by side or use two separate containers?
One other question, my Home isn’t very consistent with temps or humidity, so I want to use a dual container setup. One larger container holds a water/submersible heater combo and the actual fruiting chamber (with the proper holes drilled or cut out) will sit inside of the first one. Is that a feasible design?

Post Extras: Filter  Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineCallmedaddy
Stranger
Re: Bulk grow/monotub tub questions. [Re: UbbieCubie]
    #24830640 - 12/06/17 09:43 PM (3 years, 5 months ago)

Use approx 66 qt tub, the bigger tubs. Use 3-5 quarts spawn to damion5050s tek

OfflineCallmedaddy
Stranger
Re: Bulk grow/monotub tub questions. [Re: Callmedaddy]
    #24830645 - 12/06/17 09:45 PM (3 years, 5 months ago)

Idk how many quarts of spawn in each bag u have

InvisibleMatejaS
Bread of life
Other User Gallery

Loc: Worldly realms
    #24830661 - 12/06/17 09:51 PM (3 years, 5 months ago)

Never mix heating elements and fruiting chambers, those dont go well together in small setups. A few degrees below room temp is fine for fruiting, but might take a few days extra to finish a flush. A tub full of hydrated bulk substrate will create humidity inside every tub, monotub or unmodified tub it doesnt matter. The amount of water that is in the sub creates a constant evaporation of moisture into the surrounding air, even if you have 0% RH in your grow area the tub will work fine. Nothing to worry about. I would spawn one bag to one tub, or one bag to two smaller tubs. GL

--------------------
p9hu7 said:
So, why bother saying "why bother"? it is what it is. The purpose is to experiment with procedures that venture outside the norm, is it necessary for growing mushrooms? Big nope. Is it fucking cool to think and experiment? Resounding yes.

OfflineUbbieCubie
Stranger
Re: Bulk grow/monotub tub questions. [Re: Mateja]
    #24833868 - 12/08/17 02:24 PM (3 years, 4 months ago)

There’s a company that sells kits online. I’m using one of their kits. My particular setup works as follows:
There are 2 totes. One larger than the other. The large one holds water and a submersible heater. That’s it. The smaller one (fruiting chamber) will contain the substrate and spawn. I have 5lbs of substrate and each spawn bag contains 3lbs of grain. The smaller tote was going to get smaller holes (1/4”) drilled near the bottom (slightly above the substrate) and larger holes (1”) closer to the top. I’ve seen a few monotub teks do it this way. The smaller tote will be placed down inside the larger one and float on the water. No water will leak into the lower holes.

Does that sound like it would be sufficient?

I have 2 spawn bags that weigh 3lbs each and I have 5lbs of substrate. If i want to combine both spawn bags, do I️ need more substrate? Or is what I have enough?

Thanks guys.

InvisibleMatejaS
Bread of life
Other User Gallery

#24834311 - 12/08/17 06:35 PM (3 years, 4 months ago)

No that will not work, I told you aquarium heater + fruiting chamber = trouble. What you could do is just place one large tray inside a tub or a few trays inside a tub. It can be monotub design with poly stuffed holes or it can be just an unmodified tub. The substrate creates all the humidity it needs inside a tub, you dont need to do anything except mist when needed. I will confess I bought an aquarium heater once when I just started out, the most retarded investment ever, will never have use for it. Spawn a few monotubs or place some trays inside monotubs, that will give you success and least effort. GL

--------------------
p9hu7 said:
So, why bother saying "why bother"? it is what it is. The purpose is to experiment with procedures that venture outside the norm, is it necessary for growing mushrooms? Big nope. Is it fucking cool to think and experiment? Resounding yes.

OfflinePiaseski
Day Tripper
    #24834343 - 12/08/17 06:50 PM (3 years, 4 months ago)

I also went the route of an aquarium heater and tub-in-tub design when i started out.

Big mistake, contaminates like the warmer temperatures, and it's just not nessecary or good practice.

What you really need in this hobby is patience and the desire to read up on the *current* best-practices, there's a lot of outdated information about growing mushrooms - thing have come a long way, and most of the breakthroughs have been simplifications rather than crazy setups with plugs and pumps and shit.

--------------------

OfflineUbbieCubie
Stranger
Re: Bulk grow/monotub tub questions. [Re: Piaseski]
    #24834836 - 12/08/17 11:43 PM (3 years, 4 months ago)

The area I’m keeping the tubs goes down to 55-60 degrees during the night. So I wasn’t sure if that would be a suitable environment. How would you go about this? Links would be great. My spawn bags are a day or two from 100%, so I have some time to get this right.

InvisibleBrain Fart
Mushroom Nerd
 User Gallery

Loc: Your Mom Flag
    #24834848 - 12/08/17 11:48 PM (3 years, 4 months ago)

Thise aren't ideal temps but they will work. I've seen jars colonize in 40 degrees Fahrenheit. Slowly but surely.

Do not heat your fruiting chamber. Cooler temps will just be slower to fruit. The growing myc will also give off some of it's own heat.

Try the getting started forum or  browse some of the links in people's signatures.

--------------------

InvisibleMatejaS
Bread of life
Other User Gallery

#24835314 - 12/09/17 09:44 AM (3 years, 4 months ago)

its okej to heat the growing area or room but not to heat the fruiting chambers themselves. I have a oil heater in the center of my grow room and the rom is small maybe 3x2.5m so it heats up fast but the air dries out fast as well. But i also have a humidifier in the room as well and since the room is really smal the humidifier really kicks up the RH in the room fast when the door is closed. GL. Oil heaters dont dry out the air as much as electric heaters do.

--------------------
p9hu7 said:

OfflinePiaseski
Day Tripper
    #24835574 - 12/09/17 12:14 PM (3 years, 4 months ago)

The cluster in my signature was fruited in 50-55 a couple of winters ago because i could only fruit tubs in a kind of outside cupboard - it went slow but they were insanely dense, potency was good too.

If you've got big bags of spawn its good you can do a high spawn:sub ratio which will help things along.

--------------------

OfflineUbbieCubie
Stranger
Re: Bulk grow/monotub tub questions. [Re: Piaseski]
    #24835676 - 12/09/17 01:08 PM (3 years, 4 months ago)

I’m using this same setup with no holes cut in the fruiting chamber but I was using cakes. It was the first time I grew in 15 years and I got nearly 3oz doing it like that. I’m having a hard time understanding what the issue is. Does my system work for cakes but not bulk?

InvisibleMatejaS
Bread of life
Other User Gallery

#24835699 - 12/09/17 01:19 PM (3 years, 4 months ago)

I've grown with zero RH in my grow room with mini minis for a long time without humidity issues ever. Heat up your grow area with an oil heater or something if you think progress is slow, if you don't mind waiting a few days to a week extra then just go ahead and spawn some tubs, there is no reason to expect that it wouldn't work, you have all the right setup just don't heat your FC heat the grow area instead, and you won't have issues with humidity if you spawn into tubs I guarantee you that! When the air outside the tubs is very dry then you give the substrate an extra look during the day, nothing besides that needs to be done about it. Must as needed. :smile:

--------------------
p9hu7 said:

InvisibleMatejaS
Bread of life
Other User Gallery

#24835705 - 12/09/17 01:21 PM (3 years, 4 months ago)

*mist as needed

--------------------
p9hu7 said:

InvisibleBrain Fart
Mushroom Nerd
 User Gallery

Loc: Your Mom Flag
    #24836300 - 12/09/17 06:06 PM (3 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

UbbieCubie said:
I’m using this same setup with no holes cut in the fruiting chamber but I was using cakes. It was the first time I grew in 15 years and I got nearly 3oz doing it like that. I’m having a hard time understanding what the issue is. Does my system work for cakes but not bulk?

You need to figure out what you're doing first. Goto the getting started forum on this board

--------------------

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate, Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Aquarium Heater, Spawn Bags, Ultrasonic Humidifier

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation