Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomCube.com
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next >  [ show all ]
Offlinemusiclover420
psychonaut
Male User Gallery

Loc: PNW
Trump illegally reduced US national parks by 2 million acres.... * 2
    #24827497 - 12/05/17 09:52 AM (6 years, 3 months ago)

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/morning-mix/wp/2017/12/05/the-president-stole-your-land-patagonia-rei-blast-trump-on-national-monument-rollbacks/?utm_term=.84bb296b6198

Quote:

Anyone who visited Patagonia’s website on Monday night in search of a warm winter fleece or a pair of snow pants was in for a surprise. Replacing the usual shopping choices were giant white letters on a black background offering a stark message: “The President Stole Your Land.”

The message continued in smaller letters: “In an illegal move, the president just reduced the size of Bears Ears and Grand Staircase-Escalante National Monuments. This is the largest elimination of protected land in American history.”

The page was referring to President Trump’s order Monday reducing the size of two national monuments in Utah by nearly 2 million acres combined.

Patagonia’s move was part of an ongoing fight in the West, one the company and the outdoor recreation industry generally has been waging against exploitation of the lands for fossil fuel, development and cattle grazing.

REI, another recreational gear company, devoted part of its homepage to a more modest protest. “Despite the loss of millions of acres of protected lands this week,” the company said, “REI will continue to advocate for the places we all love.”

The companies, as well as the entire outdoor recreation industry, are allied with Indian tribes, for whom some of the lands are sacred, as well as with conservationists.

Their lawsuits began flying as soon as the decision was announced.

One came from a coalition of five tribes — Hopi, Navajo Nation, Pueblo of Zuni, Ute Mountain Ute Tribe and Ute Indian.

Separately, a coalition of 10 conservation groups, including the Natural Resources Defense Council, the Sierra Club and the Grand Canyon Trust, filed a lawsuit against Trump, Interior Secretary Ryan Zinke and Bureau of Land Management Director Brian Steed through the nonprofit environmental law organization Earthjustice. The suit, which is likely to provoke a prolonged court battle, claims Trump cannot legally revoke the land’s monument status.

Both actions were in response to Trump’s decision to reduce the Grand Staircase-Escalante National Monument by more than 800,000 acres, or 46 percent, and the Bears Ears National Monument by more than 1.1 million acres, or 85 percent, making it “the largest reduction of public-lands protection in U.S. history,” as The Post’s Josh Dawsey and Juliet Eilperin reported.

The move was supported by Republicans in Utah, particularly Sen. Orrin G. Hatch and Gov. Gary R. Herbert. They argue that the protected areas were unnecessarily vast, limiting the potential for economic growth and generally increasing federal control over a state where some two-thirds of the land is already owned by the U.S. government.

:feelsbadman:

--------------------
Don't worry about me, I've got all that I need. And I'm singing my song to the sky

You know how it feels, With the breeze of the sun in your eyes. Not minding that time's passing by

I've got all and more, My smile, just as before. Is all that I carry with me

I talk to myself, I need nobody else. I'm lost and I'm mine, yes I'm free

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineHerbologist
Grrratata
I'm a teapot

Loc: Casa Bonita Flag
Re: Trump illegally reduced US national parks by 2 million acres.... [Re: musiclover420] * 1
    #24827503 - 12/05/17 09:53 AM (6 years, 3 months ago)

How is this a bad move?

Doesn't this give the land back to the state and the people?  Including Navajo and other tribes?

--------------------
Shroomery Law:  Don't piss off the leftist mods & their friends! :banhamster:

OfflineBlue Wrench
Bolt Turner
I'm a teapot User Gallery

Re: Trump illegally reduced US national parks by 2 million acres.... [Re: Herbologist]
    #24827511 - 12/05/17 10:00 AM (6 years, 3 months ago)

Those national parks were too big for what they were and I agree that they probably needed to be shrunk a little, but the precedent set by this move could be catastrophic if left unchecked.

I don't know all the details, and so my two cents are worth less than one, but there they are anyways.

--------------------
Bods Easy AF Link List

Most teks have too much bullshit. These methods by bod do not.

OfflineCujllickduo
Male

Loc: England Flag
Re: Trump illegally reduced US national parks by 2 million acres.... [Re: Blue Wrench]
    #24827517 - 12/05/17 10:02 AM (6 years, 3 months ago)

trumps probarly sells guns to the mexicans  :mad:

Offlinemusiclover420
psychonaut
Male User Gallery

Re: Trump illegally reduced US national parks by 2 million acres.... [Re: Blue Wrench] * 4
    #24827522 - 12/05/17 10:04 AM (6 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Herbologist said:
How is this a bad move?

Doesn't this give the land back to the state and the people?  Including Navajo and other tribes?

From what I have gathered no, he is removing the protected monument status from huge chunks of these 2 parks, in fact he is removing most of the protected areas.

So now those lands are free to sell to private interests so they can frack the land and exploit all the resources they want...

In fact many native tribes have already started a lawsuit together, as well as 10+ environmental protection groups...

Quote:

Blue Wrench said:
Those national parks were too big for what they were and I agree that they probably needed to be shrunk a little, but the precedent set by this move could be catastrophic if left unchecked.

I don't know all the details, and so my two cents are worth less than one, but there they are anyways.

Shrunk a little maybe, one of them is losing 85% of it's size... The other is losing nearly half.

Also it's worth noting like 90% of US land is not protected, so if anything we should be protecting more land not less.

--------------------
Don't worry about me, I've got all that I need. And I'm singing my song to the sky

You know how it feels, With the breeze of the sun in your eyes. Not minding that time's passing by

OnlinePatlal
You ask too many questions
Male User Gallery

Loc: Ottawa Flag
Re: Trump illegally reduced US national parks by 2 million acres.... [Re: Cujllickduo] * 1
    #24827535 - 12/05/17 10:14 AM (6 years, 3 months ago)

Utah is like half a national park and mostly and is very scarcely populated. It's all small cities... I don't think is matters at all. Most of the state is untouched anyway... Then again, it'll piss off people (who probaby don't even care about this) just because they hate Trump.

--------------------

Invisiblemycosis
Male User Gallery

Loc: USSA Flag
Re: Trump illegally reduced US national parks by 2 million acres.... [Re: Patlal] * 3
    #24827540 - 12/05/17 10:15 AM (6 years, 3 months ago)

Everyone wants to tear down the monuments until Trump starts doing it. :lol:

OfflineCujllickduo
Male

Re: Trump illegally reduced US national parks by 2 million acres.... [Re: mycosis]
    #24827546 - 12/05/17 10:16 AM (6 years, 3 months ago)

:cool:

OfflineCHeifM4sterDiezL
Chief Globerts

Loc: United States Flag
Re: Trump illegally reduced US national parks by 2 million acres.... [Re: musiclover420] * 6
    #24827548 - 12/05/17 10:17 AM (6 years, 3 months ago)

i thought national parks were untouchable forever. land to be protected for our childerns childerns childerns children. even people back in the turn the century fucking knew that was important :facepalm:

Offlinemusiclover420
psychonaut
Male User Gallery

Re: Trump illegally reduced US national parks by 2 million acres.... [Re: CHeifM4sterDiezL] * 2
    #24827557 - 12/05/17 10:22 AM (6 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Patlal said:
Utah is like half a national park and mostly and is very scarcely populated. It's all small cities... I don't think is matters at all. Most of the state is untouched anyway... Then again, it'll piss off people (who probaby don't even care about this) just because they hate Trump.

Quote:

Population: 3.051 million (2016)
Area: 84,899 mi²

Meanwhile 1 of the parks being cut by nearly 50% is only 1.7 million-acres, the other being cut by 85% is only 2,112 mi².

I hate trump but I hate exploitation of resources even more, and this likely being done just so they can mine and dig for oil.

Quote:

CHeifM4sterDiezL said:
i thought national parks were untouchable forever. land to be protected for our childerns childerns childerns children. even people back in the turn the century fucking knew that was important :facepalm:

They are supposed to be, our forefathers knew how important they are. Native Americans certainly know and are not happy with this decision.

From what I have read Trump shouldn't even have the authority to do this, it's supposed to be up to congress or something but he loves overstepping his bounds it seems...

--------------------

OnlinePatlal
You ask too many questions
Male User Gallery

Loc: Ottawa Flag
Re: Trump illegally reduced US national parks by 2 million acres.... [Re: musiclover420] * 1
    #24827565 - 12/05/17 10:25 AM (6 years, 3 months ago)

Don't worry dude. If it is indeed illegal, the Supreme Court will roll it back.

--------------------

OnlineSonicTitan
 User Gallery

Re: Trump illegally reduced US national parks by 2 million acres.... [Re: musiclover420]
    #24827569 - 12/05/17 10:27 AM (6 years, 3 months ago)

Harper did something very similar in Canada as well. I agree that its wrong to do something like this. Especially where in the USA its so densely packed, they should be preserving what natural habitats are left for their wildlife.

--------------------
"We are a way for the cosmos to know itself."

OfflineProzac
Hotdogs

Loc: Miami, FL Flag
Re: Trump illegally reduced US national parks by 2 million acres.... [Re: mycosis] * 1
    #24827570 - 12/05/17 10:27 AM (6 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

mycosis said:
Everyone wants to tear down the monuments until Trump starts doing it. :lol:

--------------------
https://www.youtube.com/c/ExurbiA <<Check that out for puppy videos.

Offlinemusiclover420
psychonaut
Male User Gallery

Re: Trump illegally reduced US national parks by 2 million acres.... [Re: Patlal]
    #24827575 - 12/05/17 10:30 AM (6 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Patlal said:

I hope so but trump has gotten away with plenty of shady/ illegal stuff.

--------------------

OnlineSonicTitan
 User Gallery

Re: Trump illegally reduced US national parks by 2 million acres.... [Re: musiclover420]
    #24827592 - 12/05/17 10:39 AM (6 years, 3 months ago)

At the same time, we all know hes not the one making these decisions.

--------------------
"We are a way for the cosmos to know itself."

Offlinemusiclover420
psychonaut
Male User Gallery

Re: Trump illegally reduced US national parks by 2 million acres.... [Re: SonicTitan] * 1
    #24827597 - 12/05/17 10:44 AM (6 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

SonicTitan said:
At the same time, we all know hes not the one making these decisions.

Yeah very true, someone probably paid him a nice stack of cash for this favor.

I saw a Fox article about this where they commended him for it :eek: It's easily one of the biggest steaming piles of propaganda I have ever seen attempted to be passed off as "news" :eek:

The article pretty much is just full of lies/ BS and attacks against obama/ hillary, then at the very bottom they end with how "this will allow profitable resource extraction".... Or something along those lines. :facepalm3:

--------------------

Edited by musiclover420 (12/05/17 10:47 AM)

OfflineCHeifM4sterDiezL
Chief Globerts

Loc: United States Flag
    #24827602 - 12/05/17 10:46 AM (6 years, 3 months ago)

disgusting

InvisibleI_was_the_walrus
eggshells
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: next door
Re: Trump illegally reduced US national parks by 2 million acres.... [Re: Patlal] * 2
    #24827609 - 12/05/17 10:49 AM (6 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Patlal said:

Trumps team is actually in the process of writing some legislation to prevent future presidents from over turning the decision. Kind of what Roosevelt tried to prevent from happening in the first place

Offlinemusiclover420
psychonaut
Male User Gallery

Re: Trump illegally reduced US national parks by 2 million acres.... [Re: I_was_the_walrus]
    #24827622 - 12/05/17 10:52 AM (6 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

I_was_the_walrus said:
Quote:

Patlal said:

Trumps team is actually in the process of writing some legislation to prevent future presidents from over turning the decision. Kind of what Roosevelt tried to prevent from happening in the first place

Every time I think my opinion of trump can't get any lower he finds a way...

It's like he's a super villain whose special power is fucking everything up...

--------------------

OfflineCujllickduo
Male

#24827642 - 12/05/17 10:58 AM (6 years, 3 months ago)

trump has a fucking monoply set

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom