Home | Community | Message Board

World Seed Supply
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   North Spore Bulk Substrate   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinebenjamin
da shroom

Please help, 2nd attempt fruiting
    #2481253 - 03/29/04 07:00 PM (20 years, 22 days ago)

OK. I've now tried my second casing of colonized rye. My first casing produced probably about 300 pins, on a 4x10 pan. It was 3 quart jars of rye. All of the pins aborted right away. the biggest shroom was about an inch tall with a 1/4 inch cap. The second attempt was a casing of 1 quart jar of rye. Similiar results. Lots of promising pins, that very suddennly aborted.

I have very high humidity all the time, its upwards of 99%. I run a small 6" windmere fan inside the terarrium all the time. The terrarium is a 7 foot tall 30" x 42" base with 3 tiers. The casings are on the 3rd high tier, the fan on the very bottom tier angled 45 degrees up. I lightly mist 2 or 3 times a day, but i have also experimented with no misting, and misting more, neither of which have improved conditions. I run a light for about 8 hours a day on no set schedule, i just switch it on and off when i'm leaving. The substrate is about 2 inches deep on this current casing, with about a half inch of coca coir casing. The mycelium has grown through about half of the surface, but is not brown or overlaid. I have tons and tons and tons of aborts and knots, but no larger fruits. Of the maybe 500-600 shrooms, the biggest one was about an inch. If you all would like a pic, i have already taken some and posted about this about 2 weeks ago

previously the concensus was that I was misting too often, so i backed off on my second attempt and got the same results, so thus i rule out this as the cause of my misfortune.

I'm thinking maybe my humidity is too high. I use an ultrasonic humidifier to humidify the terrarium. the light is a 15 w flourescent grow light or something. Could this be a light problem. I think air exchange is good, the terrarium is so big i can't see how it would be a problem with just 2 casings. please help please please please please please!!!!! desperation!!!! thanks!!!!!! argahjashfgoajsbf!!!!!!!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlineobfuscatelesol
journeyman
Re: Please help, 2nd attempt fruiting [Re: benjamin]
    #2481293 - 03/29/04 07:10 PM (20 years, 22 days ago)

I'm not sure if it's the problem, but it does sound like the humidity is too high. If you can, try to get it to around 85%-90%. You can hook some bottles up to the humidifier to lower humidity. It's good to see that you're putting in this effort and not giving up after one try. Good luck, I hope you solve this conundrum.

InvisibleMagash
Da Bud Guru
 User Gallery

Loc: Near Hilo
Trusted Cultivator
    #2482369 - 03/29/04 11:30 PM (20 years, 22 days ago)

I'm fond of colonized rye myself. I like to run a cool mist 24/7 and use the ultrasonic every few hours. I also keep the humidity cranked up cause of casings at different stages.

They are each one quart of rye.

--------------------
All creatures tremble when faced with violence. All creatures fear death, all love life. If we can only see ourselves in others, then how could we possibly hurt another creature?

:growingweed: Join us at the Growery! :growingweed:

Invisiblesimplemachine
Manfly
Male User Gallery

#2482385 - 03/29/04 11:39 PM (20 years, 22 days ago)

benjamin I've had the very same problem, and the best thing I can say is use verm instead of coir...my straight coir casings abort on a much higher level than the verm or verm/coir casings. this may be because the verm holds more water...lemme know if that helps.

SM

--------------------

Offline003
mr. getSome

Loc: Kanata
    #2482406 - 03/29/04 11:49 PM (20 years, 22 days ago)

I too have had this problem before, but I was using myco's bulk-neglect tek in a region that has an average humidity of around 40%. I would get tons of pins, but they'd all abort after a day or so.

I'd say you're problem is air exchange. You say you have a fan inside that runs all the time... do you have "fresh air" coming into the terr aswell?

Do you use one of those mini greenhouses?

Offlinebenjamin
da shroom

#2484312 - 03/30/04 04:29 PM (20 years, 21 days ago)

Well, i think fresh air would be circulated via the ultrasonic, which sits outside the (homemade) mini-greenhouse and is connected by about 2 feet of that dryer vent mylar looking tubing. Magash, how do you keep the mycelium from breaking through the surface so much. Mine are not overlaid, but yours don't appear to break through anywhere except where you're getting shrooms. I've tried different casing depths and shit, but they all seem to break through the surface almost completely. Could this be due to some kind of environmental condition, and what would it be? In any case, I'm about ready to give up the mini-greenhouse idea. I'm assembling a medium sized tub with an airstone and perlite. I think this will be easier, I'm aiming a little high for someone who has never even had a successful flush.

It does appear as though the coir is a little dry, which seems odd because i mist lightly frequently, and my humidity is so high (99%). But one thing i noticed with eash casing was that it pulled away from the edges of the pan by at least a half an inch. I dunno, i guess i should get some vermiculate then? or maybe do a 50/50 coir vermiculate? Which would you all recommend for someone having possible moisture problems.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   North Spore Bulk Substrate   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom