Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinestraightslayer
Stranger
 User Gallery
First agar mission
    #24798351 - 11/21/17 05:01 PM (6 years, 4 months ago)

Hi guys,

My first time making agar and inoculating with spore print. Followed a TEK but obviously have some very obvious mold issues.

Couple of questions. The ones that have mold on them, should I throw them out now as they might potentially contaminate the plates which have not grown anything yet?

Also in the first photo with the plate nearest the bottom. Obviously a mold spot but what about the other cloud shaped growth? Is that mycelium? If so can I cut it out and transfer it to a new agar plate?

Thanks in advance

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineWorkmanV
1999 Spore War Veteran
Male User Gallery

Loc: Oregon, USA
Trusted Cultivator
Re: First agar mission [Re: straightslayer]
    #24800283 - 11/22/17 04:04 PM (6 years, 4 months ago)

The moldy ones will over grow the entire plate before any good mycelium appears. It's best to toss those. The cloudy material is yeast or bacteria and may cover the entire plate, especially if condensation drips water on the agar and spreads it around.

In my experience, the white/clear bacterial slimes don't always kill the spores which may eventually germinate and grow beyond the perimeter of the slime. You can then isolate the clean edge of mycelium on a fresh plate. So don't automatically discard the slimy plates unless the whole plate is covered or there is also mold. You might get lucky.

Keep at it. Agar skills are well worth the effort.

--------------------
Research funded by the patrons of
The Spore Works
Exotic Spore Supply

My Instagram
Reinvesting 25% of Sales Towards Basic Research and Species Identification :amanitajar:

Offlinestraightslayer
Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: First agar mission [Re: Workman]
    #24807741 - 11/26/17 01:48 PM (6 years, 4 months ago)

Thanks a lot for your reply

I have some more recent photos. Am I looking any better? The white stuff mycelium or just bacteria?

OfflineWorkmanV
1999 Spore War Veteran
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #24809437 - 11/27/17 10:44 AM (6 years, 3 months ago)

All look to have mycelium. The one on the right looks best. The top left one with the mold spot also has a fast growing thin contaminate on the top edge. The bottom left one has a pinkish contaminate wedge.

All of these are ready to be transferred to fresh plates (although the moldy one is risky to open). The best looking mycelium is coming from the obvious spore streaks that can be seen through the mycelium.

--------------------
The Spore Works
Exotic Spore Supply

My Instagram
Reinvesting 25% of Sales Towards Basic Research and Species Identification :amanitajar:

Offlinestraightslayer
Stranger
 User Gallery
    #24810954 - 11/28/17 01:31 AM (6 years, 3 months ago)

Thanks for your reply

I will transfer to fresh plates asap. I obviously just follow exact same principals with my SAB etc as when I initially inoculated them right?

OfflineWorkmanV
1999 Spore War Veteran
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #24811482 - 11/28/17 11:06 AM (6 years, 3 months ago)

Yes, assuming you are using proper sterile technique.

--------------------
The Spore Works
Exotic Spore Supply

My Instagram

Offlinestraightslayer
Stranger
 User Gallery
    #24819573 - 12/01/17 05:05 PM (6 years, 3 months ago)

Hi again,

Have an updated image of my transferred agar. Dishes are a couple of days old. Do they look ok so far? Excuse the dirty dish tops. I believe it's from my soap mix which I used in my SAB while my dishes were in there.

Invisiblesomegirl
    #24820215 - 12/01/17 10:05 PM (6 years, 3 months ago)

They look fine.  Next time try for smaller transfers, closer to the size of a grain of rice.

Offlinestraightslayer
Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: First agar mission [Re: somegirl]
    #24820523 - 12/02/17 03:40 AM (6 years, 3 months ago)

Beauty, thank you and will do.

OfflineWorkmanV
1999 Spore War Veteran
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #24825272 - 12/04/17 10:07 AM (6 years, 3 months ago)

Yes, smaller transfers reduce the risk of transferring contamination and reduces the number of strains per plate (if that is important to you).

--------------------
The Spore Works
Exotic Spore Supply

My Instagram

Offlinestraightslayer
Stranger
 User Gallery
    #24828954 - 12/05/17 09:37 PM (6 years, 3 months ago)

Hi again,

Have some more recent photos and wanting some feedback. Exciting stuff and I think I have a few good looking dishes. Obviously a couple contams. The second photo actually originally did have a contam spot but the mycelium just grew straight over it and it's not even noticeable in this photo anymore. Would it still be ok to use that particular dish?

Also when can I use the clean dishes? Do I have to wait till the mycelium grows right out to the edges? I am going to transfer to grains once they are ready.

Thanks for feedback

OfflineWorkmanV
1999 Spore War Veteran
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #24830224 - 12/06/17 03:45 PM (6 years, 3 months ago)

The contaminate overgrown dish can be used but there is some risk. Don't use the area where the contaminate was originally found. It would be better to do a transfer into a new plate just to be safe.

You should use them before they reach the edges if possible. The edges are the areas most likely to get contaminated from outside spores. If you let the mycelium grow to the edge and a mold spore gets in and lands on the mycelium, it could just sit there waiting until you transfer into grains to give you trouble.

--------------------
The Spore Works
Exotic Spore Supply

My Instagram

Offlinestraightslayer
Stranger
 User Gallery
    #24831318 - 12/07/17 06:05 AM (6 years, 3 months ago)

Sweet thank you. They have just started touching edges so I better get to it tomorrow

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds