Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinedoomshroomz
holy roller

Antibiotic Dog Food Agar
    #24815429 - 11/29/17 09:11 PM (6 years, 3 months ago)

Hey so I'md using dog food agar its what I've prepared for and I don;t really see a reason that antibiotic wouldn't work with it like it does in other teks.

BUT my main question is if i were trying to make an antibiotic medium what kind of antibiotic would I want to use. I've read things about tetracycline not being used for some reason or something like that. I just want to be sure I get the right thing.

Also is this a good idea? I'm thinking about just experimenting with it but should I just give it a go without it?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblesomegirl
Re: Antibiotic Dog Food Agar [Re: doomshroomz] * 1
    #24815444 - 11/29/17 09:16 PM (6 years, 3 months ago)

If you are just starting with agar, skip the antibiotics.  Worst case scenario is you see satellite bacterial colonies, so you realize you need to improve your sterile technique.

If you have been using agar for a while and have some super special culture that can't be replaced, and has bacterial contamination, sure, look into antibiotics.

Offlinedoomshroomz
holy roller

Re: Antibiotic Dog Food Agar [Re: somegirl]
    #24815483 - 11/29/17 09:42 PM (6 years, 3 months ago)

ok well i do have a spore syringe right now thats almost out and if this doesnt work idk when ill be able to replace it. so any tips on any antibiotic? i may just try both

Invisiblesomegirl
Re: Antibiotic Dog Food Agar [Re: doomshroomz]
    #24815507 - 11/29/17 09:56 PM (6 years, 3 months ago)

My tip is don't. 

Sorry, but after realizing the other two threads are yours, you are just starting.  There is zero reason to use antibiotic agar for a normal spore syringe, you only need one drop of spore solution on a plate to grow infinite amount of mushrooms, your syringe will last just fine.  You can even refill it with sterile water when it is empty to get use of the straglers.

Honestly, it would hurt you to use it.  You need to practice opening plates, and seeing if things fall into you plate and end up growing (satellite colonies). Otherwise when you take your agar to grain you will also have the same bad habits and you will contaminate your jars.  It's much easier to see your sterile technique fails on agar, and will save you a lot of time in the end.

Offlinedoomshroomz
holy roller

Re: Antibiotic Dog Food Agar [Re: somegirl]
    #24815518 - 11/29/17 10:04 PM (6 years, 3 months ago)

thanks for the tip i'll definitely take your advice on that

OfflineFishLevelMidnight
Aquaman
Male User Gallery

Re: Antibiotic Dog Food Agar [Re: doomshroomz]
    #24815578 - 11/29/17 10:38 PM (6 years, 3 months ago)

I say go with antibiotics. Why not?

I use kanamycin and ampicillin in the last group of plates I made (added once below 60C after autoclaving) and got bacteria free cultures from spore prints :shrug:

If you’re spending a ton of money or don’t know what bacteria even look like, than maybe skip them.

--------------------

Trade List

Invisiblesomegirl
Re: Antibiotic Dog Food Agar [Re: FishLevelMidnight]
    #24815586 - 11/29/17 10:43 PM (6 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

fishermansjc said:
I say go with antibiotics. Why not?

I use kanamycin and ampicillin in the last group of plates I made (added once below 60C after autoclaving) and got bacteria free cultures from spore prints :shrug:

If you’re spending a ton of money or don’t know what bacteria even look like, than maybe skip them.

From his other threads today, this is his first time using agar, he hasn't even opened a plate before.  You still recommend antibiotics?

Edited by somegirl (11/29/17 10:43 PM)

OfflinecronicrFacebook
 User Gallery

Loc: Van Isle Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #24815589 - 11/29/17 10:44 PM (6 years, 3 months ago)

Somegirl is correct it truly isn't needed before there is a problem.
Antibiotic agar will more less make it dormant so you could still have bacteria and not know it until you got to grain spawn so you still should transfer to a normal recipe anyway

--------------------

It doesn't matter what i think of you...all that matters is clean spawn

I'm tired do me a favor

OfflineFishLevelMidnight
Aquaman
Male User Gallery

Re: Antibiotic Dog Food Agar [Re: cronicr]
    #24815598 - 11/29/17 10:48 PM (6 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

cronicr said:
Somegirl is correct it truly isn't needed before there is a problem.
Antibiotic agar will more less make it dormant so you could still have bacteria and not know it until you got to grain spawn so you still should transfer to a normal recipe anyway

I’ll agree that maybe it isn’t needed until you have a problem, but the dormancy thing isn’t how antibiotics work. They kill the cells. If there are antibiotic resistant bacteria on the plate they often grow slower than the suspectible, WT bacteria, but they don’t go dormant. You would see growth of antibiotic resistant bacteria before you did any transfers or went to grain from my experience with bacteria culturing.
I will say I haven’t had much issue with bacteria and myc work, but I always use antibiotic plates...

--------------------

Trade List

InvisiblebodhisattaMDiscordReddit
Smurf real estate agent
 User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Milky way
Trusted Cultivator
    #24816353 - 11/30/17 08:57 AM (6 years, 3 months ago)

Not quite right. That's like the highschool biology understanding of antibiotics.

Most bacteria have a subset of their exponentially growing population in dormancy known as persister cells. These cells are already dormant before the antibiotic exposure. These cells are highly resistant to antibiotics. These are the cells that fuck you using antibiotics. Because they simply don't grow until better conditions arise

Antibiotics are great for animals and people because they put infection into a place your own immune system can finish it off. But even still chronic persisting infection is common despite antibiotics

Receiving dishes don't have immune systems.

OfflineFishLevelMidnight
Aquaman
Male User Gallery

Re: Antibiotic Dog Food Agar [Re: bodhisatta]
    #24816371 - 11/30/17 09:08 AM (6 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

bodhisatta said:
Not quite right. That's like the highschool biology understanding of antibiotics.

Most bacteria have a subset of their exponentially growing population in dormancy known as persister cells. These cells are already dormant before the antibiotic exposure. These cells are highly resistant to antibiotics. These are the cells that fuck you using antibiotics. Because they simply don't grow until better conditions arise

Antibiotics are great for animals and people because they put infection into a place your own immune system can finish it off. But even still chronic persisting infection is common despite antibiotics

Receiving dishes don't have immune systems.

Thanks for that bod, super interesting. Gonna have to talk to my bacteria friends about it.

Bacterial Persister Cell Formation and Dormancy seems like a nice review article from what I skimmed (Wood et al., 2013).
They do note that the persister phenotype is seen in multiple genera also.

Interesting...

And upon further investigation into mechanisms, not all antibiotics actually kill bacteria, so my bad on that incorrect overarching statement.

--------------------

Trade List

Edited by FishLevelMidnight (11/30/17 09:48 AM)

InvisiblebodhisattaMDiscordReddit
Smurf real estate agent
 User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Milky way
Trusted Cultivator
    #24816404 - 11/30/17 09:31 AM (6 years, 3 months ago)

A colony of bacteria big enough to see with the eye is about 10million to 1 billion cells.

More than a lot may not be in a state of growth. Thus no protein synthesis which is what most antibiotics exploit to kill bacteria.

OfflinecronicrFacebook
 User Gallery

Loc: Van Isle Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Antibiotic Dog Food Agar [Re: bodhisatta] * 1
    #24816455 - 11/30/17 10:01 AM (6 years, 3 months ago)

Bacteria friends...that sounds better then AA so I'm in

--------------------

It doesn't matter what i think of you...all that matters is clean spawn

I'm tired do me a favor

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck