Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds - Original Sensible Seeds
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Gourmet and Medicinal Mushrooms

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Laminar Flow Hood, Paul Stamets, Rye Grain, Ultrasonic Humidifier

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
InvisibleBacchus
Lurker
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: ::1
Blue and king oyster grow
    #24813448 - 11/29/17 02:30 AM (3 years, 5 months ago)

This is my first time cultivating p. eryngii. I'll be fruiting them from jars. I don't have a flow hood, so the substrate is unsupplemented oak and alder sawdust. The thought of doing a sterile spawn in an upside down plastic tub doesn't really appeal to me. I would have added some straw if I had some. I went with a pretty high spawn rate hoping that the extra rye might provide a little boost. I spawned them on Nov 18th, and they took three to five days to colonize. I dunno... I wasn't keeping track. The temperature was usually between 60 and 65 F during colonization. When I removed the lids this evening, I could see some primordia forming in most of the seven jars.

I've read that breaking up the mycelial mat that forms under the lid is beneficial for bottle culture, so I scratched up half of the jars with a fork. Here they are pre and post scratch. There are two jars not pictured. More on them in a moment.

Since Stamets recommends a dramatic drop in temperature (20 F) when going into pinning and my basement is only 5-10 degrees F cooler than my bedroom, I'm putting two jars outside for 24 hours. Tonight's low is forecast at 40 F and tomorrow's high will be 50 F. I scratched one of the jars.

I hope they like the home that I've constructed for them. I'm using an indoor fruiting chamber for the first time in many years. Here they are:

I'm totally winging this fresh air/relative humidity balance. The plastic stops about 8 inches above the ground, and I cut six slits per shelf. I haven't stretched the holes at all. Humidity is provided by an ultrasonic humidifier that's modulated by a mechanical timer that I modified to run faster. It has a roughly 30 minute period with 40 second increments. Two 3/4 inch inner diameter PVC pipes direct the fog into the chamber at two different elevations. I have it set to run for 80 seconds per cycle right now, and I might cut that in half for fruiting. That's my initial idea, anyway. Winging it, remember? I may end up running three increments for pinning and two for fruiting. I'll just have to feel it out.

I don't have any pictures of the blue oyster. They're on the same sawdust in roughly five pound blocks with various spawn rates. This will be my first time growing this culture on sawdust, but I've used it on straw a few times. It did fine in the open air around my house.

The sawdust was a little too wet, so the bottoms of two of my four bags are still colonizing. I've tipped the blocks on their sides and pulled the plastic away a bit to get some air down there, and they look like they're going to finish without too much trouble. The other two bags are on my back porch with the kings. Blues like it colder, so I'll probably leave them out there for several days. Our overnight temps are going to be in the high 30s and low 40s this week... Should I bring them in at night and put them out during the day or just let them party in the cold?

Also, I have both of these cultures for trade. Check out the link in my signature for more info. If the link is still there, then the offer is still good.

--------------------

Living on a no-Flash diet is way easier than you think. Give it a shot.

Post Extras: Filter  Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineMorePies
Stranger
Loc: TX Flag
Re: Blue and king oyster grow [Re: Bacchus]
    #24814196 - 11/29/17 01:04 PM (3 years, 5 months ago)

Hi bachus. You're in the right place, everyone here is winging it most of the time. If your basement Temps are around 60.F, no need to shuttle your kings in and outside. Both will appreciate some serious humidity while pinning, and then dropping off some as the fruits form. Right now is critical for them and I suggest inching that humidity up to where things are getting wet, but able to dry off between cycles. Once the pins form, go a little higher, then when they are 1cm - 2m long dial it back some. A lot of mushrooms will have bacterial issues inside if their caps are always wet, kings especially. I really dig jar culture and will be following along,hope it goes well.

InvisibleBacchus
Lurker
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Blue and king oyster grow [Re: MorePies]
    #24818092 - 12/01/17 01:52 AM (3 years, 5 months ago)

Thanks for the advice.

I moved two of the blue oyster blocks into the fruiting chamber. The other two are still colonizing along the bottom. Here's a shot of my setup, two of the blocks, and some primordia on one of the king jars that I didn't scratch.

I did end up increasing the humidifier to four increments per cycle. I'm toying with the idea of running it twice per cycle (12 and 6 o'clock on the timer) and adding a small, monotub-style fan. The thing that concerns me about that configuration is that the third shelf down may be too dry. The shelves are doing a good job at containing the humidity, and I'm going to need that third shelf when the next two blocks are ready.

It'll be a while before I have anything more to report. I'll keep tinkering... Maybe I'll add a third fog input.

--------------------

InvisibleBacchus
Lurker
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #24826659 - 12/04/17 10:25 PM (3 years, 5 months ago)

Kings are forming up nicely. Blues aren't doing much yet.

I added a fog pipe to the third shelf, increased the fogging frequency, and decreased the ultrasonic's output. I also added a fan sitting on top of the chamber blowing against the inside of the door flap which directs the air down through the shelves. Without the door flap, then fan would be hitting me in the face. Maybe that'll help you visualize it. I can't adjust the fan speed, so I cut a hole in the plastic to actually allow some of the fan's output to hit me in the face...

Primordia are forming in the jar as well as on top. I hope these don't develop too very much. Scratched on the left and unscratched on the right.

Here are some comparisons of the scratched and unscratched surfaces. One of these is the little pint jar that I only scratched on half.

Here's one of the four blue oyster blocks looking a little sad. The sides look a little dry, but there are small pools of water on top. I'm not sure if I need to fuss with this or not. The next shelf down is definitely too dry, so I have some more work to do. It has a fog input, but it's closer to the open bottom of the fruiting chamber.

Now that I have the fan blowing in from the top, I don't need the bottom of the chamber to be so open. I'll seal it up a little, and that should help the bottom shelf quite a bit.

I'm starting to regret taking the blocks entirely out of their bags. I did that instead of cutting them up so that I can use them again.

--------------------

OfflineQuadman
Challenged
Male User Gallery

Loc: IL Flag
    #24826879 - 12/04/17 11:50 PM (3 years, 5 months ago)

In my experience bags don't PC so good a second time. I had some that trich took over and dumped.

--------------------

InvisibleBacchus
Lurker
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Blue and king oyster grow [Re: Quadman]
    #24826966 - 12/05/17 12:56 AM (3 years, 5 months ago)

Oh, I didn't pressure cook the bags. Instead, I just mixed the spawn and pasteurized sawdust in a big pot and then loaded that into the bags. I wanted to keep things simple on myself and avoid trying to do a sterile spawn inside a tiny plastic box.

--------------------

OfflineFungalDane
Stranger

#24826979 - 12/05/17 01:11 AM (3 years, 5 months ago)

nice. Looking forward to see how it goes..!

InvisibleBacchus
Lurker
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Blue and king oyster grow [Re: FungalDane]
    #24858941 - 12/20/17 11:43 PM (3 years, 4 months ago)

So, I took a break from the internet. Here are some updates going back a couple of weeks. Scratching the kings definitely helped pinning, but I didn't see much difference in the first or second flush as far as harvest weight. A little disappointing that the blues elongated like that. The fan's output didn't penetrate as deeply as I wanted it to. I have the ultrasonic running pretty heavy and often, but all three shelves are managing to dry out between soakings. I'm going to enlarge the holes in the plastic a little.

How does one go about rehydrating a sawdust bottle between flushes? Just don't bother?

--------------------

Edited by Bacchus (12/20/17 11:50 PM)

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Laminar Flow Hood, Paul Stamets, Rye Grain, Ultrasonic Humidifier

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Gourmet and Medicinal Mushrooms