Home | Community | Message Board

Mycotrop.com
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Getting Started

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate, Cultivation Supplies, Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Gypsum, HEPA Filter, Hot Plate, Impulse Sealer, Laminar Flow Hood, Paul Stamets, Pressure Cooker

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineOriginalGinger
Lackadaisical
Male User Gallery

Loc: Cape Town, South Africa
My first Shiitake grow.
    #24811132 - 11/28/17 09:06 AM (3 years, 5 months ago)

Hi guys, Any advice on my mistakes and so on will be appreciated in this thread.

I got mycelium from a local mushroom farmer, did a grain to grain to sorghum jars

This one got a bit over colonized for spawning to bulk but it still spawned just perfectly.
The grains do seem to recover a bit slower when over colonized and bruising kicked in.

Then spawned to bulk using a sawdust mix that goes like this:

1 part Bran.
3 parts sawdust (rough pieces)
1 part sawdust (thin dust)
half part Gypsum(Plaster of Paris)
And then roughly 2 parts water will do the trick for moisture to field capacity.

Next I place my mix into bulk spawn filter patch bags and roll the air out of them

I do not fold the bag over the substrate, I simply start rolling the bag over itself starting at the top.

I keep rolling it till I hit the bulk sub mix then I place two rubber bands around the sides.

Next I put the bulk mix into my broken ass pressure cooker with the stove on 6 for 2 hours.

I let it cool overnight.
The next day I clean my work area and I transfer the grains in front op my cheap ass vicks HEPA filter, I don't have an impulse sealer so I simply just roll the bags up again like I did before placing them into the pressure cooker (only this time I stop just above the filter patch) and then I paperclip it so id doesn't roll up and open again.
Like in this picture:

Then I place them next to my HEPA filter which is always on inside the closet.

So my one bag is fully colonized now and I'm wondering what your opinions are on browning inside/outside the bag?

Edited by OriginalGinger (11/28/17 02:08 PM)

Post Extras: Filter  Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Invisiblesomegirl
Re: My first Shiitake grow. [Re: OriginalGinger]
    #24811360 - 11/28/17 12:01 PM (3 years, 5 months ago)

You will have more luck in the gourmet and medicinal mushroom forum. 

That HEPA isn't doing anything for you though.  Look up SAB on this site for something cheaper and better to use for transfers, although it isn't the best for bags.

OfflineOriginalGinger
Lackadaisical
Male User Gallery

Re: My first Shiitake grow. [Re: somegirl]
    #24811623 - 11/28/17 02:09 PM (3 years, 5 months ago)

Okay I'll ask someone to move it for me thanks.
:smile:

--------------------
"On a desperate mission to find a dung lover print!"

OfflineOriginalGinger
Lackadaisical
Male User Gallery

#24853175 - 12/18/17 09:43 AM (3 years, 4 months ago)

So my oldest Shiitake blocks have been colonizing for a little over a month now and are popcorning nicely and just starting to blister properly now on certain spots. Is this an appropriate time to cold shock? I'm pretty confused on this point because RR says some of his Shiitake prefer cold shock shortly after full colonization and then they will fruit, but the general idea I'm getting is that people normally fruit after blistering? Please enlighten me :smile:

--------------------

OfflineNavidson
That Guy
 User Gallery

#24854954 - 12/19/17 12:48 AM (3 years, 4 months ago)

I'm sorry but when you say HEPA filter do you mean you have a flowhood?

--------------------
“Passion has little to do with euphoria and everything to do with patience. It is not about feeling good. It is about endurance. Like patience, passion comes from the same Latin root: pati. It does not mean to flow with exuberance. It means to suffer.”
- MZD

OfflineNavidson
That Guy
 User Gallery

#24854956 - 12/19/17 12:49 AM (3 years, 4 months ago)

Sorry for the double post. A month seems fast according to Stamets, perhaps it wouldn't hurt to let them sit a little longer

--------------------
“Passion has little to do with euphoria and everything to do with patience. It is not about feeling good. It is about endurance. Like patience, passion comes from the same Latin root: pati. It does not mean to flow with exuberance. It means to suffer.”
- MZD

OfflineOriginalGinger
Lackadaisical
Male User Gallery

Re: My first Shiitake grow. [Re: Navidson]
    #24855187 - 12/19/17 05:35 AM (3 years, 4 months ago)

Cool thanks I'll let it sit a bit longer then but I'm quite curious about when the earliest possible time is to fruit.

And no I have a VICKS HEPA certified air filter that I built into my grow space which pushes clean air from my middle shelf to my top shelf, the air flows through a gap between the back panel of the grow space towards me so it essentially works as a flow hood pushing air away from my culture and towards me so I don't have germs flying off my body into my culture.

Some people discourage it but I say try something first before you talk down to it, I inoculated 60 jars over the last 2 weeks from 4 different spore prints that I made myself and I only had to throw away 5 jars that seemed to have gotten infection from one bad inoculation session but further on the rest are all at or close to full colonization with no problems, the prints are also made in front of the HEPA filter.

I used to get a lot of bacterial problems from my shitty pressure cooker but since my friend borrowed me his PC I've been having great results.

--------------------

OfflineOriginalGinger
Lackadaisical
Male User Gallery

Re: My first Shiitake grow. [Re: Navidson]
    #24905814 - 01/11/18 06:08 PM (3 years, 3 months ago)

Shiitake bags looking like this now, about a month or two to wait before cold shock still.

--------------------

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate, Cultivation Supplies, Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Gypsum, HEPA Filter, Hot Plate, Impulse Sealer, Laminar Flow Hood, Paul Stamets, Pressure Cooker

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Getting Started