Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomCube.com
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore Bulk Substrate, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Rye Grain

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineGrimCoffee
Stranger
Side pins galore!!!! Pic. Suggestions welcome
    #24810263 - 11/27/17 08:10 PM (3 years, 5 months ago)

It’s been a fun and educational first grow so far. But I may need some advice. I inoculated B+ in rye jars. Mycelium growth seemed to stall at around 98%. Went ahead and spawned to bulk with horse manure, alternating thin layers with the top and bottom layers being manure. I covered the tray with aluminum foil but I didn’t line the tray with black plastic because I wanted to monitor the progress. A little over a week later I noticed some serious side pin action so I pulled the foil. Mycelium coverage looked to be around 50% here. Began 12/12 in sgfc, fan/mist ~3x/day, keeping temps in 70s, humidity stays around 60-70%. So far the vast majority of fruiting is on the side with a couple on top and a bunch of teeny tiny pins on top that haven’t done much.
Questions are 1) should I remove the cake from the tray and let it grow in all its side-pin glory? 2) is it too late to get better growth on top/how? 3) a few of the small fruits on top have split veils, are those actually ready to be plucked?
Any other comments/suggestions welcome!

Post Extras: Filter  Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinewaxbrain
That Fun Guy
I'm a teapot

Re: Side pins galore!!!! Pic. Suggestions welcome [Re: GrimCoffee]
    #24810278 - 11/27/17 08:21 PM (3 years, 5 months ago)

I'd take that cake out and throw it in the SGFC and nurture it. Those look great. Side pins are caused by non ideal surface conditions. Some say a liner helps but idk. It's been difficult for me to get a grow w/o side pins. Just make sure the substrate is tight, don't pat it down hard or anything but cover it all evenly and spread it out. I'm getting the hang of it myself but I think that cake would do better not in the tray, just a guess. I think they'll like different conditions and you obviously aren't having heavy pinning on top so take care of what you got :cheers:

OfflineWeavieWonder
Kraut Muncher
Male User Gallery

Loc: USA Flag
    #24810282 - 11/27/17 08:23 PM (3 years, 5 months ago)

Your mushrooms are growing at the sides because that's where pinning conditions are most favorable.  Provide better conditions at the surface and the mushrooms will pin there.

OfflineGrimCoffee
Stranger
    #24818605 - 12/01/17 11:38 AM (3 years, 5 months ago)

Thanks for the words.
Here are a few progress pics after 5 more days. Side fruits looking good, although some got pretty damn dark, (is that a bad thing?). The third pic shows how rather slim this flush has actually been. Except for a handful of ugly fruits on top and near the edges all the top pins stunted.

Offlinefrankeh
Stranger
 User Gallery
    #24819914 - 12/01/17 09:31 PM (3 years, 5 months ago)

the darkness is from your shrooms dropping spores, nothing to be alarmed about. Harvest closer to the veil tearing next time.

OfflineGrimCoffee
Stranger
Re: Side pins galore!!!! Pic. Suggestions welcome [Re: frankeh]
    #24822885 - 12/03/17 04:20 AM (3 years, 5 months ago)

Thanks for the reassurance and the advice!!

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore Bulk Substrate, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Rye Grain

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation