Home | Community | Message Board

Myco Supply
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Political Discussion

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Invisiblesilversoul7
Chill the FuckOut!
 User Gallery

Loc: mndfreeze's puppet army
Problems with the Endangered Species Act
    #2479747 - 03/29/04 02:26 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

Today in my Environmental Studies class, I learned about how the Endangered Species Act is virtually useless. The main problem with it is it focuses on individual species and not habitats. This is one reason why the California Condor will most likely go extinct. Despite the billions of dollars spent on breeding them in captivity, their habitat continues to be destroyed by human development, so they don't really have anywhere to go. A person can't go out and kill a Desert Tortoise, but the state can build the biggest landfill ever right on the edge of their habitat(note: There are currently plans for exactly this right near where I go to college). This is one of the main reasons why few species that go on the Endangered Species List ever come off.

Another problem is that the Act's uncompromising nature actually works against endangered species. By not taking economics into account, it costs many people jobs, and their public outcry can often motivate Congress to override the Act. Also, say you're a farmer and you get word that some animal that lives in your area is going to be put on the Endangered Species List, thus preventing you from farming there. Often, farmers in this situation will kill all of these animals on their property so that when it does get listed and the feds come by, they can tell them that such creatures don't live on their farmland. This happens more often than you might think.

I say we need to either modify or replace the Endangered Species Act so that it focuses more on the environments in which endangered species live than on the species themselves, and takes some economic considerations into account.

--------------------

"It is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong."--Voltaire

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineDailyPot
Trip'n Time

Loc: Florida
Re: Problems with the Endangered Species Act [Re: silversoul7]
    #2576533 - 04/19/04 03:31 AM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Its one of those laws that need reform, everyone knew that we needed to protect endangered animals so they put pressure on legal bodies that pooped out a law that didn't work. This happens alot, pressures gone, everyone shuts up, and problem is still not fixed.

While we're at it we should find a way to arrest the whole DEA for geneocide or an endangered law for constantly burning, and attempting to whipout cannabis.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> Political Discussion