Home | Community | Message Board

Avalon Magic Plants
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Seeds Store buy cannabis seeds, Buy CBD   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Agar, Brown Rice Flour, Perlite, Petri Dish

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinechampignontete
Stranger
I left my BRF cakes in the jars for 4 months. Now birthed, the pins are turning black and aborting.
    #24793689 - 11/19/17 03:09 PM (22 days, 17 hours ago)

Hi,

My first attempt at cultivation has been partially successful, however I have encountered a problem and I could use your help.

I bought two 10mL spore syringes for two different varieties (Burma and Thai Samui), with each syringe I inoculated 12 324mL BRF jars.
I followed the PF tek properly.

I believe that my first mistake may have been using too little spore solution for each jar...

The jars successfully colonized, and I lost 3 out of 24 to contamination (mold).
The rest of the jars eventually reached full colonization, although they took over 2 months, after which there were still some uncolonized patches.

The jars were kept at around 21C throughout the colonization stage.

I birthed some of the Burma cakes into an FC with damp perlite, after dunking overnight and rinsing them.

I believe that I did this too early as there were only slight signs of pinning, nonetheless these developed into some nice shrooms (these have set the precedent for how I know they should look and smell); I got about 17g dried from 6 cakes, not a huge amount but not bad for the first attempt I thought.
I think that if I had left them in the jars a little longer it would have been better as they were in the FC for around a week before any mushrooms were visible, all this time they were drying out and possibly getting contaminated I guess.

I made some spore prints from these.

For various reasons (vacation, technical issues with the FC :tongue: ) the Thai Samui cakes were left in the jars for 4 months after inocluation; Some mushrooms had grown within the jar although they were still quite small.

I birthed around half of the Thai Samui cakes, noting that they smelled fine and free of contamination (at least, they smelled mushroomy and the same as the Burma ones), however these were less fruitful than their Burmese brothers...

After birthing I forgot to dunk or rinse them, and I removed all of the twisted mushrooms that had formed within the jars.
(I think that failing to dunk and rinse may have left starchy stuff on the surface that led to contamination later).
After removing the twisted shrooms, there were dents in the mycelium left behind, these could have been an opportunity for contamination too.

Anyway, any pins that formed were oddly shaped (sort of like little balls of mycelium), they were very weakly attached to the cake and they tended to stop growing after reaching a diameter of around 4mm.
Eventually these stalled pins would turn black.

Moreover, some pins were black with white heads as soon as they formed.

At this point there were no signs of contamination, however after a short period (less than a week) the cakes had an odd smell, and green mold began to grow on them, after which I disposed of them.

Fast forward a few weeks, I have rinsed and baked the perlite, bleached the FC twice, and cleaned the general area.

Whereafter I birthed the remainder of the cakes, remembering to dunk and rinse them this time, and taking lots of perhaps unnecessary sterile precautions.

And the same thing has happened! There are no obvious signs of contamination (yet), however pins are turning black immediately after forming on some of the cakes (even when they are only 2mm in diameter), and on the other cakes, whereupon the pins are the right colour, (light brown/beige), they are forming in little clumps around the edges of the cake (where the rim of the jar was), they are like little balls of polystyrene, and they don't appear to be growing any bigger, presumably they will abort too.

I have been fanning at least 6 times daily and spraying the walls of the FC, taking care not to spray the cakes.

The cakes are sitting on aluminum foil upon the perlite.

Does anyone have any ideas about what I am doing wrong?
Is it simply because the cakes have been left in the jars for too long?

They don't seem to have dried out in the jars as there was still water on the sides of the jar when they were birthed.

I don't want to order any more spore syringes, for obvious reasons :tongue: so I have made some agar plates from pieces of mycelium taken from the Thai Samui jars, 4/5 petris have escaped contamination.

I intend to make LI from an agar plate, put it in a syringe,  and inoculate more jars, hopefully this time they will colonize much faster as I will be more generous with the inoculant.

Meanwhile I have also made some agar plates from the spore prints I made of the Burma variety... I am not sure whether these will germinate yet as I did it only yesterday.

Apologies for the overly detailed and lengthy post...
I would really appreciate any suggestions/advice you guys could give me, and maybe help me solve the mystery of the aborting pins.

A few other questions:

Is it possible that contaminants could have been laying dormant in the jars until they were birthed or is it pretty much a certainty that they were introduced after birthing?

I am not using an SGFC as I have read mixed reviews of it (esp. difficulty in maintaining the high RH), I am simply using a sealed tub with a layer of damp perlite at the bottom, and regularly fanning it...
Would you recommend converting it to an SGFC?

Thanks again for your time, it is much appreciated.

A bientot!

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Invisiblesomegirl
Re: I left my BRF cakes in the jars for 4 months. Now birthed, the pins are turning black and aborting. [Re: champignontete]
    #24793805 - 11/19/17 04:45 PM (22 days, 15 hours ago)

You need to be spraying the cakes directly.  Also highly recommend switching to a properly buil SGFC.  Mushrooms need air flow.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: Original Seeds Store buy cannabis seeds, Buy CBD   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Agar, Brown Rice Flour, Perlite, Petri Dish

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation