Home | Community | Message Board

Radical Mycology Book by Chthaeus Press
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> The Ethnobotanical Garden

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Original Seeds Store Shop: Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlineneuro
Phytophiliac
 User Gallery

Loc: Rigel 7
I Dream of Africa by Kuki Gallmann
    #2478765 - 03/27/04 08:35 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

My girlfriend is reading this book and it explains of the use of a Legume found in Africa that is to be hallucinogenic. Even the Leaky family doesn't know what it is (Leaky's are famous family of anthropologists).

The passage from the book:
Quote:

Paolo took to visitng the Pokot wazee down at Churo. The man sat around a larged knarled acacia, their wrinkled old torsos matching the tree's grey trunk; perhaps they were the same age. They smoked strange grasses, chewed strong tobacco and sniffed at an acrid sort of snuff which paolo liked, and which made them sneeze. They drank a heady brew of herbs and fermented honey, and ritually ate strange seeds which they went to find in the bush. These came from the pod of leguminous plant which grows after the rains. ONly the old people have the right to partake of them, as they create hallucinations which can blow a young man's inexperienced mind, and give weird and prophetic dreams.

Their faces were like masks made of shiny old wood, darkened by the smoke of many fires. These old men all looked different. Only the shape of their headresses was the same rounded brilliant blue. To obtain it, they used the azue blue powder which, diluted in hot water, is normally used to sparkle up the white in yellowed linen. Some of them sported crude earings of glass beads or bones. One of them was blind, and his white eyes stared unseeing and aloof in a haggard face. One had painted a pair of bright yellow glasses across his nose and around the eyes: a true old wizard. Paolo went often to sit with these old Pokot people. They accepted him, and he gained from those times with them a different oulook which was part of the new awareness he had acquired.

Once he was offered one of their seeds, and he ate it. The flavour, he told me, was bitter and grassy, and in an odd way he felt sick; but soon his mind seemed to clear, as if a window had been opened suddenly on a weird landscape, and he felt lifted into a nother dimension in which a strong wind blew hard. The grass of the savannah around them seemed phosphorescent, and on it two sinewy leopards, glowing silver, advanced slowly side by side. He felt suddenly transported high and beyond his body, like a bird, soaring high like a vulture, and with his bird's eye he clearly saw my car driving up the road from Nyahururu, small down there on the red murram track, towards Ol Ari Nyiro. He had not expected me that day, and he drove slowly home to wait for me. The effect had not lasted for long and he told me the story. He showed me one of the seeds, silky and as large as a pea, covered in a white lustrous skin. He gave it to me, cautioning me not to try, and although i was much tempted I obeyed him. I kept it for years, until it became frail and brittle, and I never managed to discover from which plant it came. The Pokot whom I asked pretended to konw nothing about it: the seed was, after all, no medicine for women or outsiders, and I respected their privacy. Even philip Leaky, to whom I once showed it, had never heard of it and could not recognize it. Eventually I planted it, but life had dried in it and the secret plant never sprouted.

It sounds like a Brazillian Yopo experienced ported to fit an African setting with some embleshments. The story is true however, and the Leaky's are a premier group of people who are considered to be the Authority on African cultures and hominids. If anyone would have known what the seed was and what it was used for it would have been the Leaky's.

But perhaps it's all made up, perhaps others might know.

It's purported to be an African Legume that grows after the rains. The seed is the size of a peak and covered in a white lustrous skin.

Any ideas, comments?

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Jump to top. Pages: 1

Original Seeds Store Shop: Cannabis Seeds

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> The Ethnobotanical Garden