Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds - Original Sensible Seeds
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   North Spore Bulk Substrate   OlympusMyco.com Sterilized Grain Bag   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinekukboi
Stranger
Shoe Box Issues
    #24782413 - 11/14/17 12:12 PM (6 years, 4 months ago)

Hello, I am having some issues with these shoe boxes I have currently in the knotting phase. On my last monotub the mycelium on the surface kind of got a slick look to it and I was told it was possibly due to drying. I am not having a similar problem with my shoe boxes. I have not been misting consistently and am starting to figure out that might be a problem. Here are some pictures only one has the problem I am currently describing but would like opinions on if everything is healthy as well.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblehamloaf
Pork Block
Male User Gallery

Loc: ation is turned off.
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Shoe Box Issues [Re: kukboi]
    #24782423 - 11/14/17 12:15 PM (6 years, 4 months ago)

When the myce gets too dry it forms a hardened mat of mycelium like that.  If you were misting as described your substrate's moisture content was incorrect.

--------------------

How I Get Stuff done. - My Reference Guide. - My Grows.

Offlinekukboi
Stranger
Re: Shoe Box Issues [Re: hamloaf]
    #24782447 - 11/14/17 12:26 PM (6 years, 4 months ago)

I see.... I have been purchasing premade bulk sub online as I cannot pasteurize my own in my current situation. This seems to be the real source of all my problems. I didn't even think to check for the correct moisture content when preparing the shoeboxes.... If the pasteurized bulk sub is not at field capacity how would I add water to get it to field capacity without risking contamination?

What is the best thing you can do once you already have this "mat" formation?

Edited by kukboi (11/14/17 12:32 PM)

InvisibleJHOVA
Post whore
Male User Gallery

Loc: Flag
    #24782532 - 11/14/17 01:11 PM (6 years, 4 months ago)

Man what a username.

Do yourself a favor and google cuck and cuckold.
:loldongs:

--------------------
🅃 🄴 🄰 🄼    🄲 🄻 🄸 🄽 🄶 🅆 🅁 🄰 🄿

Offlinekukboi
Stranger
Re: Shoe Box Issues [Re: JHOVA]
    #24782548 - 11/14/17 01:18 PM (6 years, 4 months ago)

I am 100% aware of the fetish some people have in which they like to see their SO get plowed by random dudes. I don't see why its a bad name haha Except for all the comments I get :smile:. That being said though I imagine it is memorable which I don't believe to be negative.

Edited by kukboi (11/14/17 01:19 PM)

InvisibleRatThing
Nuclear Dog
I'm a teapot User Gallery

Loc: USA Flag
    #24782555 - 11/14/17 01:22 PM (6 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

kukboi said:
I see.... I have been purchasing premade bulk sub online as I cannot pasteurize my own in my current situation. This seems to be the real source of all my problems. I didn't even think to check for the correct moisture content when preparing the shoeboxes.... If the pasteurized bulk sub is not at field capacity how would I add water to get it to field capacity without risking contamination?

If you had been using bucket tek CV (coir and vermiculite) you wouldn't really worry about contamination.  You would want to wash your hands and brush your teeth.  And then add water.  Clean tap water works.  Or if you are concerned your tap water isn't clean, you could use distilled, filtered, or boiled (then cooled) water.  Just add water as needed using your hands (and/or a clean heavy spoon) to stir and to check the water content for field capacity.  Fully colonized grain spawn in CV is pretty contamination resistant.

If you are using other types of substrate that are more prone to contamination (as apparently you are), you would want to get your substrate to field capacity (not bothering in the least about cleanliness or contamination), and then you would want to scoop it into an oven bag and pressure cook it to kill the lingering bacteria, fungi, etc.  Use once cooled.

--------------------

Invisiblesomegirl
Re: Shoe Box Issues [Re: RatThing]
    #24782754 - 11/14/17 03:05 PM (6 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

RatThing said:
Quote:

kukboi said:

If you had been using bucket tek CV (coir and vermiculite) you wouldn't really worry about contamination.  You would want to wash your hands and brush your teeth.  And then add water.  Clean tap water works.  Or if you are concerned your tap water isn't clean, you could use distilled, filtered, or boiled (then cooled) water.  Just add water as needed using your hands (and/or a clean heavy spoon) to stir and to check the water content for field capacity.  Fully colonized grain spawn in CV is pretty contamination resistant.

If you are using other types of substrate that are more prone to contamination (as apparently you are), you would want to get your substrate to field capacity (not bothering in the least about cleanliness or contamination), and then you would want to scoop it into an oven bag and pressure cook it to kill the lingering bacteria, fungi, etc.  Use once cooled.

You shouldn't pressure cook (sterilize) substrates that are contaminate prone.  Those should be pasteurized not sterilized.

Offlinesir_spins_alot
Feels like a stranger
 User Gallery

Loc: United States Flag
Re: Shoe Box Issues [Re: somegirl]
    #24782785 - 11/14/17 03:17 PM (6 years, 4 months ago)

Boiled water that's cooled.  Shit I haven't been letting it cool.  Luckily my box's are pinning and everything's ok.

Op check out the thread making shoe box's.  Lots of current grows/ posts.

--------------------

OfflineDactylium
Don't touch me I'm sterile

Re: Shoe Box Issues [Re: sir_spins_alot] * 1
    #24783033 - 11/14/17 05:04 PM (6 years, 4 months ago)

Damn someone really fucked the icing up on that cake

Invisiblesomegirl
Re: Shoe Box Issues [Re: sir_spins_alot]
    #24783085 - 11/14/17 05:33 PM (6 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

sir_spins_alot said:
Boiled water that's cooled.  Shit I haven't been letting it cool.  Luckily my box's are pinning and everything's ok.

Op check out the thread making shoe box's.  Lots of current grows/ posts.

I can't  see any use for boiled and then cooled water unless you need drinking water that isn't safe out of the tap.  It wouldn't be sterile, it will be collecting everything from the air the whole time it is cooling.  Tap water is fine.

Boiling water poured over coir cooks it a bit and people have said it makes myc like eating it better.

Offlinesir_spins_alot
Feels like a stranger
 User Gallery

Loc: United States Flag
Re: Shoe Box Issues [Re: somegirl]
    #24784059 - 11/15/17 05:43 AM (6 years, 4 months ago)

That makes sense.  I bring my water to a boil then I mix my gypsum in the water and then pour on the cv.  My box's are colonized in about 2 days.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   North Spore Bulk Substrate   OlympusMyco.com Sterilized Grain Bag   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder