Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomCube.com
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflineEvilGir
Im the on coming storm

Loc: Planet Irk
A brave new world
    #2454067 - 03/20/04 11:23 AM (20 years, 13 days ago)

Well I was just reading this cool book and was thinking that the world would not be
such a bad place if things turned out this way. But would happyness truley be better than knoledge and suffering. I guess it would almost be like becomeing children again and living in the garden of eden. But the dark side to it is the class system of Alphas and betas but this system already exists today with your doctors lawers and factory works and people who cant even read and write ect.
At least in huxlys world most people are happy, I almost wana live there.

But even today we are being conditioned from birth with T.V and stuff like Mckdonalds, it if you get your parents hooked then when they have kids another generation is gona consume.

The only thing i didnt under stand was the end of the bok though where it just ended in the light house after the rumble.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinegnrm23
Carpal Tunnel
Loc: n. e. OH, USSA
Re: A brave new world [Re: EvilGir]
    #2454095 - 03/20/04 11:35 AM (20 years, 13 days ago)

please do yourself a favor & read huxley's final novel _island_

if i could get a visa i'd move there in a flash, hehheh...

~

--------------------
old enough to know better
not old enough to care

Invisiblebert
bodhi

Loc: state
    #2454724 - 03/20/04 02:42 PM (20 years, 13 days ago)

The Savage kills himself at the end because he can't stand to live in that kind of world. But that may only be because his world view is so different relative to everyone else's. Maybe not better, just different. I guess it really wouldn't be all that bad to live in a society like that. You wouldn't know what was 'missing' so it would be as if it didn't exist. No wars, no violence, very little disease. I'd venture to bet that we are quickly heading that way right now. I look around everyday and see people that are more like everyone else than themselves. With genetic engineering and a fat and docile, unquestioning populous...

--------------------
Persons denying the existence of robots may be robots themselves.

OfflineEvilGir
Im the on coming storm

Re: A brave new world [Re: bert]
    #2454835 - 03/20/04 03:19 PM (20 years, 13 days ago)

Ahh thanks I got it, I was thinking that but the way it was worded is sometimes difficult to read. But yeah I would love to live in a world like that even if I wasnt an alpha. The world is designed for people not to be unhappy but I just think the savage is insane wanting to have the right to suffer and be tortured.

But I think the world is far from that kinda of place right now there is just too much greed, envey and suffering. Maybe the idea of removing familys, girlfriends wifes, sons and daughters sint such a bad idea. Everybody belongs to everybody isnt such a bad concept.

Anyway I am gona read island next but does this anything to do with a brave new world as a island was mentiond near the end of the book as the place the other two guy where sent to.

--------------------
Fighting the man the best way I can.

Offlinemanna_man
High onlife.....andcrack

Loc: Vancouver
    #2455144 - 03/20/04 05:10 PM (20 years, 13 days ago)

I found it very interesting how Huxley managed to make all these "insane" dystopian customs seem somewhat logical and beneficial.

For example, everyone is conditioned in a big sterile building from birth in order to instill these hypnopeadic (is that what it's called?) ideas. To us, this seems incredibly immoral and even inhuman. But we then see how it helps to stabilize the community, no wars or violence, "everyone belongs to everyone else", and the castes are conditioned to LOVE their work, whether it be world controller or menial labourer.

He also takes two things that, in our society, are seen as incredibly wrong or "taboo": drugs and promiscuity.

Soma, ( probably meant to be equivalent to some form of LSD, mescaline, or mushrooms) is almost uncontrollably abused by the population. Yet, what are the results: people are happier and more peaceful. It cleanses the body of negativity and leaves you feeling refreshed.
As we all know, the negativity surrounding psychedelics today is laughable, and perhaps Huxley is trying to make a point.

The civilization of A Brave New World has been conditioned to worship Soma, whereas we have been conditioned to think that drugs are evil. Perhaps ABNW isn't as far from our time as we thought. And we might look upon the customs of ABNW and see them as disgusting, shocking, laughable, immoral, whatever, but it's arrogant not to think that in a few years, people will be saying the same things about us.

"You mean to say there was actually controversy surrounding gay marriage, drugs, and abortion??? What a bunch of savages."

--------------------
This post is protected under copyrite law.All above content is strictly the property of ?manna_man.Any infringement of copyright property is strictly prohibited.Any violators will be stretched, shot, and then vaporized into a state of anti-matter, where they will cease to exist.

OfflineSpecialEd
+ one

Loc: : Gringo
    #2455231 - 03/20/04 05:40 PM (20 years, 13 days ago)

You would miss out in a world like that. No personal growth. No problem solving. Nothing.

--------------------
"Plus one upvote +1..."
--- //
-- :meff:
  /l_l\/
--\-/----

Anonymous

Re: A brave new world [Re: SpecialEd]
    #2455573 - 03/20/04 08:34 PM (20 years, 13 days ago)

you miss out on something no matter how you live.

OfflineEvilGir
Im the on coming storm

Re: A brave new world [Re: ]
    #2456487 - 03/21/04 03:40 AM (20 years, 13 days ago)

>You would miss out in a world like that. No personal growth. No problem solving. Nothing

Well there is always the island that Huxley spoke of for thoes that wish to explore science and stuff. I But world like that would be a better place, eventualy things would change again to an even better state. But it is something the world today need stability for a few thousand years then maybe all this hatred and other sillyness will be lost for ever and people will then start to awake to a new state of being. If this program started of tommorrow I would probably book my tickets there today, a little bit of conditioning wouldnt hurt.

But I have to read siland first before i decide where i wana go, I would probably end up there instead.

--------------------

OfflineEvilGir
Im the on coming storm

#2456501 - 03/21/04 04:00 AM (20 years, 13 days ago)

But as Huxley also sugeted with Linda tha she tryed to condition her son, now this happens all around the world today by parents condditioning there children with there values. When most of the time these values are not realy very good which can be seen in the population today.

An example of this is parents who drink smoke use bad language infornt of there kids ect. When these kids grow up they will be the same as there parents only worse. When they have kids thir kids will copy them and grow up to be even worses and so on. Kinda like evolution. So by removing parents you would be removing there conditiong.

--------------------

Edited by jezu (03/21/04 04:04 AM)

OfflineAlan Stone
Corpus

Loc: Ten feet up
    #2456795 - 03/21/04 08:37 AM (20 years, 12 days ago)

Quote:

From Jezu:The world is designed for people not to be unhappy but I just think the savage is insane wanting to have the right to suffer and be tortured.

It comes down to this dilemma, would you rather live in a fake reality and be happy all the time, or live in a real world with a free mind and the occasional blues? I'd choose the real reality above all else, simply because when you're conditioned to be happy all the time, you'd only be superficially happy. You'd just be content, and experiencing joy, instead of the fruit of long-term goals that is happiness. Brave New World doesn't - IMO - describe a better world, it describes a decadent society that only serves to propagate itself, with an omnipresent corporate machine that conditions people to buy whatever it deems necessary. Free will is non-existant. People don't work for their own goals, they work for the procreation and sustenance of the society itself, which is, in my ever so humble opinion, a nightmare to live.

Quote:

From Bert:You wouldn't know what was 'missing' so it would be as if it didn't exist. No wars, no violence, very little disease.

Yes you would, the alpha plusses know what they're missing, and so does Bernard Marx - because of a fuckup in the production line that created him.

--------------------
It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.

- Aristotle

Offlinefireworks_godS
Sexy.Butt.McDanger
Male

Loc: Pandurn
    #2456948 - 03/21/04 10:19 AM (20 years, 12 days ago)

Haven't read the book.... But I've heard the IRON MAIDEN song about the book. :grin:

If I was outside of that society and had the choice to become a part of it, I know I wouldn't do it. Something constructed like that to produce ignorant content lives... nah, fuck that. :wink:

To me, life isn't about being happily content like that, if the other variable is excluded: awareness. Blissful awareness? Sure, give me some more of that! :lol: Blissful ignornace? :thumbdown:  :shake:
Peace.  :mushroom2:

--------------------
:redpanda:
If I should die this very moment
I wouldn't fear
For I've never known completeness
Like being here
Wrapped in the warmth of you
Loving every breath of you

:heartpump: :bunnyhug: :yinyang:

:yinyang: :levitate: :earth: :levitate: :yinyang:

OfflineEvilGir
Im the on coming storm

Re: A brave new world [Re: fireworks_god]
    #2457022 - 03/21/04 10:56 AM (20 years, 12 days ago)

>I'd choose the real reality above all else, simply because when you're conditioned to be happy all the time, you'd only be superficially happy.

Well this reality is setup just like the place in the book we have the sheep of the world, people just not realy knowing whats going on people who are just a bit dizzy. Then we have all the scientists and people with brains i.e the alphas, the medium for conditioning is T.V only it just makes people unhappy and probably does nothing but cause trouble. Like trying to sell products some people may never afford thus makeing them unhappy.

The world would be a better place if the goverments put all there effort into creating stability and helping peopl be happy. For thoes of us with brains we can always go to the island and take some soma, cos thats where i would go and that place would still be better than this world.

--------------------

OfflineAlan Stone
Corpus

#2457484 - 03/21/04 02:03 PM (20 years, 12 days ago)

One difference is that the alpha plusses through gammas are artificially created, in function of the need of the social machine.

--------------------
It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.

- Aristotle

Offlinebarfightlard
tales of theinexpressible
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Canoodia
    #2458021 - 03/21/04 05:43 PM (20 years, 12 days ago)

That book is amazing! You should read 1984 too. Similar, but Orwell suggests it would be our fear which would lead to his predicted future society, while huxley suggests it will be our love or happyness. You can see connecitons with both "future societies" in ours today, but I don't think we've really swayed to far in either direction. Either author could be right in their prediction(some might say warning), or they could both be wrong. Myself, I think we will end up with a combination of the two, with very powerful influeneces of both what we love and what we hate. I'm not too sure what, but I don't see it being a place in which I would want to live. Just like our modern society, but much more extreme.

--------------------

"What business is it of yours what I do, read, buy, see, say, think, who I fuck, what I take into my body - as long as I do not harm another human being on this planet?" - Bill Hicks

OfflineChaotica
outsider
Loc: Pacific Northwest
Re: A brave new world [Re: manna_man]
    #2459031 - 03/21/04 11:00 PM (20 years, 12 days ago)

Quote:

manna_man said:

As we all know, the negativity surrounding psychedelics today is laughable, and perhaps Huxley is trying to make a point.

Of course he was! Have you read  The Doors of perception?              :wink:
It's his detailed account on a mescaline trip. A quick and interesting essay.

OfflineAlan Stone
Corpus

Re: A brave new world [Re: barfightlard]
    #2459431 - 03/22/04 02:53 AM (20 years, 12 days ago)

Quote:

while huxley suggests it will be our love or happyness.

...or lack of long-term perspective and general ignorance, depending on how you want to see it.

--------------------

- Aristotle

InvisibleKrishna
कृष्ण,LOL
 User Gallery

Loc: oakland
Re: A brave new world [Re: gnrm23]
    #2460272 - 03/22/04 01:23 PM (20 years, 11 days ago)

Quote:

gnrm23 said:
please do yourself a favor & read huxley's final novel _island_

if i could get a visa i'd move there in a flash, hehheh...

~

I second that! Huxley actually wrote an essay (i think called "braver new world") where he denounces Brave New World, saying how sad he was that this became his "famous" book...

--------------------

OfflineEvilGir
Im the on coming storm

Re: A brave new world [Re: Krishna]
    #2460478 - 03/22/04 02:23 PM (20 years, 11 days ago)

Well what about brave new world revisated that any good

--------------------

Offlineabhi
Why not?
Female User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: in some small dive
    #2477572 - 03/26/04 03:53 PM (20 years, 7 days ago)

Quote:

Soma, ( probably meant to be equivalent to some form of LSD, mescaline, or mushrooms) is almost uncontrollably abused by the population. Yet, what are the results: people are happier and more peaceful. It cleanses the body of negativity and leaves you feeling refreshed.

Soma reminded me of alcohol, how it is widely abused by everybody. But it didn't cause problems in the society at all. There were references to peyote and mescaline in the indian village. They talked about pope or other villagers giving them "peyotl" and "mescal"

--------------------

OfflineEarth_Droid
Stranger
Re: A brave new world [Re: SpecialEd]
    #2478232 - 03/27/04 02:27 PM (20 years, 6 days ago)

Quote:

SpecialEd said:
You would miss out in a world like that. No personal growth. No problem solving. Nothing.

I think your missing the whole idea. These things would be solved in the brave new world. The need for these things would be fullfilled. People will have reached such great inner peace and transcended the feeling of unfulfilled desire of attaining these things.

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder