Home | Community | Message Board

MagicBag Grow Bags
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlineoldskool1980
mr

Re: truffle nightmare (moved) [Re: musiclover420]
    #24794756 - 11/20/17 12:06 AM (6 years, 4 months ago)

yes we are planning to do truffle tea as the last experience really put the mrs off lol.
so im researching the best and easiest way of how to do it. any tips would be a help. thanks .

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineAldebaran
Psilo-Scribe
Male User Gallery

Loc: Altered States of Europe
Re: truffle nightmare (moved) [Re: oldskool1980]
    #24808471 - 11/26/17 08:04 PM (6 years, 4 months ago)

Did you get to try the hollandia yet?

These are some general notes on truffles / sclerotia which I hope will make things clearer (I didn't see this post till I came back from holiday otherwise I would have answered earlier).

The High Hawaiians are usually very good so I'm surprised to hear you had a bad experience, unless they had gone "off" during transit while unrefrigerated.

I've only puked once from bad truffles, and that was from these "Dutchii" which had been left out of the fridge a couple of days. I thought the white stuff was just patches of mycelium but was possibly mould. Either way I had very little warning and suddenly had to vomit about 35 minutes into the trip. I didn't actually feel ill either before or after being sick, so maybe it was just a natural reaction to something that my stomach didn't want me to eat...

The only other time I've had a stomach problem with sclerotia was a few years back when I got really bad diarrhea the day after a trip - it could have been from a meal I ate but I think it was the sclerotia that caused it. Apart from that I've never had much trouble with sclerotia, although it does sit rather heavy in the stomach, and a little bit of mild nausea would not be unusual. Three people all vomiting does sound unusual though, so perhaps there was something wrong with them.

They can look a bit slimy and manky in the sealed pack but usually look better once you open it.

Just for reference, they should look something like this when open (click to enlarge photos):

Being in a sealed pack should help stop them going mouldy, but it can create condensation from temperature changes, and they can gradually go a bit black and slimy when not kept in a fridge.

Quote:

i didnt notice a funny smell and they looked ok, they tasted extremely twangy and metalic though

That sour, earthy taste is normal for sclerotia. The texture should be like a slightly soft nut. I think the active alkaloids possibly give it a bit of a bitter tang. High Hawaiians tend to have quite a greenish tinge to them, and they are one of the more unpleasant tasting varieties to eat.

An empty stomach is important. I find 6 hours after a meal works well, for example I'll eat a fairly substantial late lunch around 3-4pm (so I don't feel hungry later) then trip around 10pm. Chew up the truffles well, I prefer to wash them down with tea although I don't bother trying to make an actual tea with them. Make sure you are not hunched over when digesting the sclerotia, it can help to sit upright in a chair or pace around a little bit, just so you don't get trapped air in the stomach making you feel more nauseous. I find I usually feel better after I burp when I'm eating this stuff. Also, a small amount of dark chocolate is an excellent way to mask the taste after you've eaten the dose; the bitter taste of the sclerotia is replaced by the bitter taste of the dark chocolate.

I also find that cleaning my teeth (or just rubbing toothpaste onto them with my fingers) is a good way to distract me from any feelings of mild nausea, it removes the taste completely and the action of doing it takes your mind off how revolting the aftertaste can be. I think part of the nausea is basically psychological, although there are serotonin receptors in the stomach which may be part of the reason why you can feel a bit weird waiting for this stuff to digest. They usually unsettle my stomach slightly, so i usually need a trip to the loo at some point during the first hour after eating them, but its nothing dramatic and I feel fine after that.

On dosage:

Quote:

you say that about needing alot more than 22 g ? the guidelines say 10g for a string trip lol. overwelming trip 15+g .

The dosage guidelines for sclerotia tend to be fairly cautious; aimed more at clueless tourists than experienced trippers. At one time the general advice for sclerotia was that 10g was a mild dose, 15g was a medium dose (standard amount for a trip) and 20g was a strong dose, but the potency varies quite a lot from one product to another so this isn't particularly helpful.

With High Hawaiians a 22g dose is fairly decent, on a recent trip a few days ago it was enough for that kind of "wording" effect of alphabet soup appearing in the walls e.t.c  within an hour of consumption, plus strong CEV with a sensation of being pulled into the trip and "eaten by something resembling the front of a train". That kind of dose could be quite intimidating for a first-timer, although it should level out into something more euphoric and relaxed after the peak. Bear in mind that if you puke within half an hour of eating this stuff, it won't have had much of a chance to start working properly, it is very dense and takes a while to digest.

I regularly dose with 2 packs of this stuff, but ONLY when I have tolerance built up from a previous trip (if I visit in Amsterdam I tend to do a moderate trip, then a stronger one two days later). Even with tolerance that's a very heavy dose with a real intensity and internal pressure, as if the CEV are an alien force crushing down on you. Without tolerance it's like a chemical warfare experiment with full-blown paranoid delusions and so on. I would have expected 15g of this to give a moderate, if not spectacular, fairly relaxed trip, the sort of dose that would be suitable if you were tripping for the first time.

I think a typical potency for commercially sold sclerotia would be something like 7g sclerotia = 1g cubes, although it can vary - see this post for a rough potency guide - RE: magic truffles dose

This means for a solid trip it's not unusual to have to eat more than 25g, although very potent stuff can knock your socks off even at 15g. Hollandia has a good reputation, so hopefully 15g will be a decent dose, but it really depends on the quality of what you are getting. "Hollandia" is not a real species so it might as well be labelled "very strong sclerotia" - you are relying on the producer to grow something that lives up to the name!

The dragon's dynamite are not bad; they are a lot more pleasant to eat than the Hawaiians and they are fairly consistent, BUT you do need to eat quite a lot to trip properly off them. I like them when I want a decent but not overwhelming kind of trip; I usually eat 2x 20g boxes (re-dosing after an hour) to make up for the lack of potency. "Fun" strong rather than "oh shit" strong if you know what I mean.

15g is likely to be very mild, 20g is getting there... but you would probably need 30g+ for a decently strong trip.

I recently tried "Royal Beluga" for the first time in years and was pleasantly surprised by the visuals off the initial 15g (I re-dosed with another 15g and got a fairly solid trip).

These are sold as loose stones, so they probably wouldn't travel well. You can see a slight white tinge on some of the stones which I think is the mycelium starting to re-grow in flat white patches. These were fine to eat, but I'd avoid anything that's getting to look a bit fluffy....

Quote:

yes we are planning to do truffle tea as the last experience really put the mrs off lol.
so im researching the best and easiest way of how to do it. any tips would be a help. thanks

Might be too late but I'll just paste these links in from my notes:

N.B sclerotia are usually sold fresh so any advice specifically about dry (i.e rock hard) stones doesn't really apply -

-------------------------------
SCLEROTIA TEA

M11 - making truffle tea http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/14130568#14130568

1.  Chop your truffles up.
2.  Place in 1-1.5 cups of water in a small pot.
3.  Add a few splashes of lemon or orange juice to the water.
4.  Add the truffles.
5.  Bring water/truffles to a simmer.
6.  Wait 15 minutes.
7.  Turn off stove, strain truffles out with a strainer by pouring water into a separate container (make sure the separate container is heat tolerant).
8.  Wait to cool.
9. Add more orange juice to tea to improve taste.

http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/22093166
Truffle Tea questions

Eating Atlantis Truffles - nausea & making tea
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/10459824/fpart/2/vc/1

Cervantes
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/18093047#18093047
If you make tea from dry stones, be sure to grind them up first, and lemon tek plush a second extraction really help. Those buggers are much denser than cubes. A second brew can make a difference.
It is my favorite way to injest dry stones. Those fuckers are hard to digest when eaten. I swear I shit much of the magic out.

Cervantes - sclerotia tea
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/18260747/page/6
For the most part it is just like making tea. Boil water. Then add the tea bag(s) and fungus. Let steep. Usually for 20 or so minutes.
Now, I do a couple of tricks with sclerotia. I grind it up in a coffee grinder or something. Then I soak it in lemon juice for 20 or so minutes. Then I make the tea with the sclerotia and lemon juice. Usually, I double extract the fungus just to make sure I get all the goods.
If you do not break the sclerotia up it will not properly extract, as it is very dense. You gotta grind it to eat it dry too, or it will pass right through you.

--------------------------------

Good Luck!

:feelsshroomyman:

--------------------
I wrote that, but I meant something else

Offlineoldskool1980
mr

Re: truffle nightmare (moved) [Re: Aldebaran]
    #24809569 - 11/27/17 11:39 AM (6 years, 4 months ago)

many thanks for your reply. lots of help there.
ok so we did the tea. same as you described above. we split 45g hollandia between two of us. it was still quite mild but we did have. a great night. we have also come to the conclusion that they are very mild and aimed at tourists for dosage. They just taste disgusting, we both stomached the tea fine,although the mrs felt quite sick during the majority of the night,i was absolutely fine. we have some liberty caps which are nearly all dry, we have approx 230. was thinking of putting all them in a tea to split between three of us this weekend.
any tips as to what to do with them? ie powder them? not sure what to do but we are hoping for a much stronger trip. done some research but im still a little confused with what to do, my main aim is to not loose any potency as i spent hours and hours to pick them!
your help is gratefully appriciated.

OfflineAldebaran
Psilo-Scribe
Male User Gallery

#24809821 - 11/27/17 02:16 PM (6 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

we split 45g hollandia between two of us. it was still quite mild but we did have. a great night. we have also come to the conclusion that they are very mild and aimed at tourists for dosage.

I find a 22g box does come on reasonably strong but tails off somewhat just as things are getting interesting. I suspect making sclerotia tea might lose some of the actives but it's better than throwing the lot up!

I think with a lot of the sclerotia on sale, two packs per person (30g+) is usually a more satisfying dose for an experienced tripper, but the potency varies and they can catch you out once in a while. For example, if 22g High Hawaiians is "mild", then 20g of Dragon's Dynamite is even more mild. So combining the two in one trip shouldn't be too much, you might think.... until you try it and end up in something like this - Tentacles & Time-Travel on 42g sclerotia - welcome to EUROPA

I've had some extremely vicious trips on sclerotia in the 30-45g range so I'm a bit cautious about recommending large doses.

Quote:

we have some liberty caps which are nearly all dry, we have approx 230. was thinking of putting all them in a tea to split between three of us this weekend. any tips as to what to do with them? ie powder them? not sure what to do but we are hoping for a much stronger trip. done some research but im still a little confused with what to do, my main aim is to not loose any potency as i spent hours and hours to pick them!

Well, one person who has made more shroom tea than I care to imagine is Primal Soup, so if I was going to make shroom tea I would try following Primal's Tea Tek complete with pictures. I don't think it particularly matters which precise species of mushroom you are making the tea with, the principle will be the same. In summary it's

Quote:

chop 'em, mash em, boil em while stirring about a minute, steep 5-10 minutes, strain and enjoy.

and don't forget to add citric acid or lemon juice. I guess liberty caps are small enough that you wouldn't need to chop them (looking at that tek I wouldn't bother powdering them either).:peace:

--------------------

Invisiblewannabmckenna
stranger than anyone
Male User Gallery

#24809853 - 11/27/17 02:36 PM (6 years, 4 months ago)

They won't lose potentcy in a tea and 230 libs in a tea is enough to blast 3 people into space IMO they are potent when dried and then put in a tea you will not be disappointed with the trip this time round you will more than likely end up in psilocybin land!

--------------------
Never eat a mushroom I have identified                Smokey of friday

Offlineoldskool1980
mr

Re: truffle nightmare (moved) [Re: wannabmckenna]
    #24809975 - 11/27/17 03:42 PM (6 years, 4 months ago)

:smile: well ill make the tea and sip steady lol. i can always top up.
i always remember a trip i had on around 60 fresh libs and it was madness, really enjoyed it. trees were alive, all sorts going on.i was in a mystical fantasy land,colours were just reciculous and it was crazy.....loved it, 230 libs is roughly 76 each, ive heard of people doing upwards of 100!!
the truffles felt like the start of a very nice journey but as said above it starts to tail off just as things get good.
i think the tea really helps on the stomach, more so for the mrs as she has a sensitive little belly.
looking forward to saturday :smile:

i dont think libs will sit as heavy as the truffles.
might pop out again saturday morning to see if i can get a few more as weve had quite a bit of rain, im thinking new year shrooms.

thankyou both for the replys.

OfflineAldebaran
Psilo-Scribe
Male User Gallery

#24811068 - 11/28/17 05:54 AM (6 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

looking forward to saturday

Let us know how it goes :thumbup:

:awecid:

--------------------

OfflineJohnQBensis
Stranger
Male
Re: truffle nightmare (moved) [Re: musiclover420]
    #24811092 - 11/28/17 06:23 AM (6 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

musiclover420 said:
Next time try tea maybe?

Not sure how well that works with truffles but it seems like it should help.

Also some ginger and or lemon could really help.

This^.

A friend and I made a tea from truffles once. The experience was pretty intense. The taste was god awful as was expected. Word of advice though, cool the tea before drinking. Hot tea with a flavor like that is horrible. I still get shivers thinking about that taste...

Offlineoldskool1980
mr

Re: truffle nightmare (moved) [Re: JohnQBensis]
    #24811672 - 11/28/17 12:31 PM (6 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

JohnQBensis said:
Quote:

musiclover420 said:
Next time try tea maybe?

Not sure how well that works with truffles but it seems like it should help.

Also some ginger and or lemon could really help.

This^.

A friend and I made a tea from truffles once. The experience was pretty intense. The taste was god awful as was expected. Word of advice though, cool the tea before drinking. Hot tea with a flavor like that is horrible. I still get shivers thinking about that taste...

Quote:

Aldebaran said:
Quote:

looking forward to saturday

Let us know how it goes :thumbup:

:awecid:

yeah truffles are just grim lol. i found with lemon that it was just about doable when hot, as it got colder it got even worse. shivers is an understatement.

aldebaron.....will do :wink:

InvisibleSnazz
Polymath
Male User Gallery

Loc: Canada Flag
    #24811907 - 11/28/17 01:47 PM (6 years, 4 months ago)

Truffles are kinda hard to make good tea from. Lightly blanched in salt water is pretty decent.

Only bad trip I had was from some unknown contam. 50g fresh and tripping balls, but then 2hrs in, I had mass bloating, rushing liquid feeling, then cramps from hell.  Took around 2h of excruciating pain to finally have a bowel movement

Offlinethebrahmsian
Mush Enthusiast
 User Gallery

Re: truffle nightmare (moved) [Re: Snazz] * 1
    #24845383 - 12/14/17 09:58 AM (6 years, 4 months ago)

Sounds like a chili cookoff I went to once...:grin:

--------------------

OfflineMycologirl
Stranger
 User Gallery

#25783109 - 02/01/19 07:28 AM (5 years, 2 months ago)

Just wondering if these look mouldy to anyone? Had them for a week since purchase, kept in a sealed box however in the bedroom not the fridge, thrown some away as they were definitely mouldy but kept these incase the blueness is bruising or drying  effect? Don’t really feel like a vomiting session to start off the trip!! Mix of purple rain and cosmic connectors.

OfflineAldebaran
Psilo-Scribe
Male User Gallery

Re: truffle nightmare (moved) [Re: Mycologirl]
    #25784165 - 02/01/19 03:55 PM (5 years, 2 months ago)

Those look alright to me (I'm not claiming to be an expert on food safety or sclerotia storage or anything). If they get really dry and too hard to eat normally, try searching on here for some ways to prepare dry sclerotia, I've seen old threads about storing / drying / consuming the stuff.

The commercial sclerotia I buy is usually either light brown or quite dark with a greenish tinge(like the pieces you are holding between your fingers).

I've seen sclerotia go a bit darker, almost black, when it's sweated a little bit, but I would still eat it like this unless it's gone really slimy and horrible.

I can't quite see the texture of the patch on the end of the stone you are holding in the second picture, but everything else looks OK to me.

I would avoid anything that's gone soft and mushy or has fluffy mould on it (small flat white patches can be normal mycelium growth which is fine).

I don't think it's much different to judging if fresh veg is still OK to eat - if the texture is still firm, there is no obvious mould growing on it, and it doesn't look slimy or rotten then I would probably eat the stuff.

Use your own judgement but that dark greeny-blue colour mixed in with the lighter brown pieces is nothing unusual for sclerotia - I guess it's either to do with the age of the stones or possibly the exact sub-species of the sclerotia. :peace:

--------------------

Invisibleseldom seen
April Fool
Male User Gallery

#25785473 - 02/02/19 07:14 AM (5 years, 2 months ago)

Regarding dry sclerotia...I got myself a decent little pepper grinder, easily turns them into powder quick, no worries on breaking teeth lol.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds