Home | Community | Message Board

Lil Shop Of Spores
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Political Discussion

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinegotmagog
searching fortruth andlogic...

Loc: Europe
Why I Am Pessimistic for the World and USA
    #2477967 - 03/27/04 02:41 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

I read this very good article
http://www.commondreams.org/views04/0326-02.htm
This site is usually a bit left, but the article is very reasonable and logic, and I also have thought about this myself many times.

So, what disturbs me is that actually the majority of Americans does not realize the injustices the USA has done on the world. It is possible that Bush will not get reelected, but it will be not because of the anti-humane natura of his politics, but because of pragmatic things like jobs and security, and his sometimes not diplomatic style and policy errors.

The average voter, the majority of them, does not care about human rights abuses in the world, does not care about USA empire and bases everywhere, nor about the USA losing its allies or imposing on them only what' best for the USA. Most people can't even imagine that the USA sponsors dictatorships and torturers throughout the world , the history of some latin american countries like Chile and Guatemala were full of violence caused by US interests. Ignorance or arrogance, most people still believe that the USA exports only democracy , freedom and justice to the world.

If the job situation in the USA impproves a bit, people will soon forget the whole dishonest nature of the USA regime. The Bushies want to curb civil liberties and change the whole system, they lie incredibly often and hate all dissent, but the average person, the majority in the elections, only cares that he himself is well materially.

People may at the end want the right thing - get Bush out - but it will be for the wrong reasons, his inability to lead well the economy and get the perfect security most americans want.

If a president comes who learns well from Bush's mistakes, there will be no stopping him. What I mean is someone who again wages wars around the world, bullies most countries in the world , in this way creates even more terrorists and perpetual war, at home makes very strict homeland defence laws and restricts civil liberties in the name of freedom, destroys nature, etc, but manages to have a good economy that adds a lot of jobs. Without the motif of the bad economy, Bush would have been unstoppable this fall.

When someone different like Kerry comes, he won't change tha bad things at the base of the system, the empire nature of the USA, and the inevitable harm it brings on the world, he will just wrap them in better PR and avoid the stupidity and obvious arrogance of Bush. So I have no hope for something good coming out of the USA elections ever. Whomever comes will increase again the pentagon budget.

It all will come down at the end that the USA has the strongest military in the world and it will be used to protect the lifestyle of Americans at whatever cost to the rest of the world , and the average American wants it this way, not realizing the cost of this lifestyle to the rest of the world and nature. To be able to consume everything he wants, and freedom and real democracy are secondary objectives.

I don't want to offend americans in this forum; they are a tolerant and liberal minority in the USA. But from what I read these days I m very pesimistic for the average voter this fall, and the things that guide him.

I could be wrong, but a miracle should happen to improve the situation.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineBleaK
paradox
Re: Why I Am Pessimistic for the World and USA [Re: gotmagog]
    #2478347 - 03/27/04 05:15 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

--------------------
"You cannot trust in law, unless you can trust in people. If you can trust in people, you don't need law." -J. Mumma

Offlinegotmagog

Re: Why I Am Pessimistic for the World and USA [Re: BleaK]
    #2478381 - 03/27/04 05:35 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

This manifesto seems quite long, but I will try to read some of it, though I am skeptical what might come from unabomber.

I also just thought of Hitler. He also had aggressive foreign policy and agrressive ideology, like Bush now, but Adolf he managed to keep the economy strong with very good employment. That ensured that many Germans will ignore the horrible sides of nazism until much later.

I can see a nightmare scenario where extreme ideologies win in the USA.

On a literary sidenote, I wonder if a thriller writer has already written a book with such plot, I remember reading "The Document R", or whatever, many years ago, where right wing extremists and the CIA tried to pass laws drastically reducing human rights, and they managed to make state after state vote for them.

Invisiblequestion_for_joo
i'm left. youall can bite me
    #2478387 - 03/27/04 05:40 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

First I should say that I am an American and I'm proud of being American, if for nothing else than for the way this country was originally founded.  I think you're right about Bush, and I'd say you're probably right about Kerry too.  But, you are looking down your nose at Americans and saying we are greedy and irresponsible across the boards.  America is a reflection of the world.  America was founded by English...and French..... and Germans and Dutsch and Scottish, and Irish and Spanish, and Polish, and Russians, and built up by Africans and is now gradually being taken over by Latin Americans.  America is a melting pot. 
You are oversimplifying the situation.  Most Americans just want to live in Peace, to be able to get an education and support their family.  Everything is bound together now, going to college means forests get logged in British Columbia.  Buying heroine means Bin Laden gets money.  There are environmentally conscious Americans, many, just as there are many greedy corporate CEOs and many honest factory workers.  I want to take you to McDonalds and buy you the salad.    :smile2:

--------------------
youi was a pig informatnt so you can go fuckyoruselfs

Offlinegotmagog

Re: Why I Am Pessimistic for the World and USA [Re: question_for_joo]
    #2478426 - 03/27/04 06:03 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Well i don't want to criticize the USA people, they are mostly good people by themselves.

I want to focus mainly that the present administration scares me deeply. The whole political class and their most fanatical suporters, a minoroty actually when I think of it, have a lock on power and tries to distort the truth to make people follow their way. If they succeed, however good people are, their government will be able to do whatever it wants, a government run by zealots and extremists.

In every society there are good and bad people, and when the bad guys control the government totally things get nasty.

I like the environmentally conscious Americans, the honest workers , the good universities , but I am afraid they don't have power to change things, and their power will only decrease over time in the atmosphere of terrorism and fear in the media. I hope the good guys prove me wrong and become stronger. If Kerry wins, this may help the cause of the people, becuse he is at least not the extremist Bush is and will be not so brutal about truth and fear.

Offlinegotmagog

#2478479 - 03/27/04 06:22 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

And it is in the nature of all people to give their leaders the benefits of doubt and hope they are not so bad as they seem. And one's family lives well, and people are busy with their lives, the bad world news seems distant.

But it is the losing of a job and the decrease of living standard that most surely mobilizes people to fight for their rights, history has examples of this in many countries. If one's family lives happy, and his children live safe and well, wars in distant lands by an proffessional voluntary army hurt less the quality of life and don't stimulate the average person to protest mush against his government, as mush as cronic unemployment and losing his house will ignite protest and hurt Bush in the polls now.

And lets not forget that people don't see 100% of the picture, and from time to time are deceived and lied, which further makes them weak poliically and confused about how their country is ruled

Invisiblequestion_for_joo
i'm left. youall can bite me
    #2478596 - 03/27/04 07:20 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

In America there are two parties.
One: The Democrats. They try to expand what is good about America.
Two: The Republicans. They try to protect what is already good about America.

Right now the republicans are in control and they are trying to protect. They are trying to protect Americans from terrorist attacks. They are trying to protect the institution of marriage from perversion. They are trying to protect ordinary citizens from criminals. They are trying to protect bank accounts from going down, etc....
All these protections come at a price.......giving up civil liberties, alienating homosexuals, overflowing prisons, rich stay rich & poor stay poor etc....
Unfortunately the old methods to protect these things no longer work in a globalized world. So only the bad things are happening.
Slowly the American people are starting to realize this.

--------------------
youi was a pig informatnt so you can go fuckyoruselfs

Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> Political Discussion