Home | Community | Message Board

Kratom Eye
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineSource
Remainder of anUnbalancedEquation
Male

Loc: Outer Darkness
Ultimate Truth or Ultimate Deception?
    #2477646 - 03/26/04 06:16 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

There is a possibility that is so powerful I have been unwilling to fully explore it as a new perception of existence - until now. It isn't a new idea (what is?), but it is arguably society's ultimate taboo and yet the core mystical teachings all seem to be hinting (or screaming) about it.

I'll phrase it in such a way that it will give you the best experience of it:

Your's is the only perception in the universe. There is nothing behind existence other than your own self. There is no one behind the eyes of all the people you know and meet every day. They are empty. No one's home but you. There is only you and there will always only be you. You took a step away from yourself to live in this illusion of multiplicity for a while that's all.

When you see somone laughing, there is no one behind the face experiencing laughter. When you see someone suffering, there is no one behind the face experiencing suffering. There is only eternally you.

So, from this point of view what's the big deal? What is there to worry about? It's your dream that's all. Go ahead and dream without fear. Dance a little jig! LIVE for God's sake!

Do you think that to live from this perspective would turn you into a narcissistic asshole? I don't know. Maybe it would, but instead maybe to live like this would be to realize that all things are only your own self and therefore there is nothing to gain or lose in the universe - nothing to worry about and nothing to attach to. Maybe this is the only way to find peace.

Or maybe it is the ultimate deception.

--------------------
What you're searching for is what's searching.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlineanarchyhollow
Creator, DrugExploree

Loc: Heart
Re: Ultimate Truth or Ultimate Deception? [Re: Source]
    #2477888 - 03/27/04 02:03 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

It can go both ways...thinking like this can make somebody peaceful or disastrous. For instance "hmmm, if he doesn't really exist, then if i kill him it won't matter". Peace

--------------------
See, the shrooms explore me. They riddle my mind, they teach me the eternal with direct experience. My soul is one with existance.

Offlinehuxmush
Wanderer

Loc: Australia
    #2478363 - 03/27/04 05:26 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

Are you basically implying that you're a solipsist?

http://www.nv.cc.va.us/home/lshulman/URBELIEF.html

InvisibleSclorch
Clyster

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: On the Brink of Madness
    #2478391 - 03/27/04 05:41 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

Yup... that's your basic solipsism right there...

--------------------
Note: In desperate need of a cure...

Invisiblesilversoul7
Chill the FuckOut!
 User Gallery

Loc: mndfreeze's puppet army
    #2478453 - 03/27/04 06:11 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

So if that's true, then none of you are real. So none of this really matters. So I'll just post something random. ajfjldfoinolewnajkndmfv nkowkjvd smdnvds vnaef nnasmdcjkdsflad

--------------------

"It is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong."--Voltaire

OfflineViaggio
ChemicalConsumer

Re: Ultimate Truth or Ultimate Deception? [Re: silversoul7]
    #2478471 - 03/27/04 06:18 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

Uh, no. If this idea is true (I knew it all along) and there is nothing behind you guys then, I'm the only real one. So...ha!

--------------------
"...yet another in a long series of diversions an attempt to avoid responsibility."

OfflineSource
Male

Re: Ultimate Truth or Ultimate Deception? [Re: Viaggio]
    #2480266 - 03/29/04 04:39 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

I knew that idea was called something like that, though I couldn't remember the name.

No, I am not a solipsist. I'n not really an anything. But the idea is interesting and as I said, potentially very powerful; although, I'm not sure if pursuing that idea and making it a living realization would ultimately be positive or negative.

But at the core of it, mystics around the world agree: there is only one self. So (assuming that's true) either there is only your perspective and no one is looking back at you through all those eyes, or it is YOU looking back at you through all those eyes.

--------------------

OfflineAnother
Stranger
Re: Ultimate Truth or Ultimate Deception? [Re: Viaggio]
    #2480302 - 03/29/04 04:46 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

I do not believe mystics around the world would agree with this view. If they teach non-attachment then your belief in this would be an attachment. I do not think they would agree with either view.

Anonymous

#2480962 - 03/29/04 07:49 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

either there is only your perspective and no one is looking back at you through all those eyes, or it is YOU looking back at you through all those eyes

I believe you're onto something here. So the choice then is, to care only for your own self or to care for your own plus all other-selves...

Offlinevade
veteran

Loc: Columbus, OHIO
    #2481005 - 03/29/04 08:03 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

I like what your saying, it reminds of a quote i once read, "ACT AS IF YOU ARE IN A DREAM.
                                                                              BE DARING AND DON'T APOLOGIZE" (from erowid)

But then again i fear that if i follow that quote or your philosiphy i will turn into some agnostic ass-hole.  But at the same time it will give me the balls i wish i had to ask questions and share my thoughts...
I don't know either way there seams to be a blockade. :confused:

--------------------
I've got this feeling that there's something that I missed...

OfflineSource
Male

Re: Ultimate Truth or Ultimate Deception? [Re: ]
    #2481135 - 03/29/04 08:29 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

"to care only for your own self, or to care for your own plus all other-selves..."

Yeah, I think Jesus rapped that question up when he laid down the golden rule: Do unto others as you would have done unto your self.

When we say "Self" we are talking about the supreme Self, not the little 'I' of ego. As I said, to fully realize that your absolute center of consciousness is the only self is to also realize that there can be nothing to gain nor lose in the universe. After all, how can the self gain from self or lose to self?

But I think to care only for your own self would be difficult because it follows too closely the game of ego. To care for your self in others is counter to the ego's plan and helps you to transcend in order to BE that self in all others.

And (just to clear things up with Another's post) As I said, mystics around the world agree: There is only one self.

Ramakrishna ---

The ego is like a stick that seems to divide the water in two. It makes you feel that you are one and I am another. When the ego disappears in samadhi one realizes Brahman as one's own inner consciousness.

Vasishtha ---

The self is neither this nor that; it transcends whatever is the object of experiencing here. In the unlimited and unconditioned vision ... all this is but the one self, the infinite consciousness, and there is nothing which can be regarded as the not-self. The substantaility of all substance is none other than the self or the infinite consciousness.

Even as in a collection of a thousand pots there is space within and outside of all the pots, undivided and individisble, even so the self exists pervading all beings in the three worlds.

The Bhagavad Gita (Krishna) ---

In this world there are two orders of being: the perishable, separate creature and the changeless spirit. But beyond these there is another, the supreme Self, the eternal Lord, who enters into the entire cosmos and supports it from within.

The Upanishads ---

Like two golden birds perched on the selfsame tree, intimate friends, the ego and the Self dwell in the same body. The former eats the sweet and sour fruits of the tree of life while the latter looks on in detachment. As long as we think we are the ego, we feel attached and fall into sorrow. But realize that you are the Self, the Lord of life, and you will be freed from sorrow. When you realize that you are the Self, supreme source of light, supreme source of love, you transcend the duality of life and enter into the unitive state.

Patanjali ----

The Atman ... is pure consciousness.

(When one stops identifying with the thought-waves) man knows himself as he really is, always was and always will be. He knows that he is the Atman. His "personality," his mistaken belief in himself as a separate, unique individual, disappears...Such a man is known as a free, illumined soul.

We readily admit that it is better to love people "for what they really are" than merely for their beauty, their intelligence, their strength, their sense of humor or some other quality -- but this is only a vague and relative phrase. What people "really are" is the Atman, nothing less. To love the Atman in ourselves is to love it everywhere.
(p. 22)

Bodhidharma ---

The buddha is your real body, your original mind. This mind has no form or characteristics, no cause or effect, no tendons or bones. It's like space. You can't hold it. It's not the mind of materialists or nihilists.

Abhinavagupta ---

This person (purusha) here in the heart is made of mind, is of the nature of light, is like a little grain of rice, is a grain of barley. This very one is ruler of everything, is lord of everything, governs this whole universe, whatsoever there is.

Chuang Tzu ---

When he is beyond form and semblance, beyond "this" and "that,"
where is the comparison with another object?
Where is the conflict?
What can stand in his way?
He will rest in his eternal place which is no-place.
He will be hidden in his own unfathomable secret.
His nature sinks to its root in the One.
His vitality, his power hide in secret Tao.

--------------------

InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Loc: 9th Dimension Flag
    #2481745 - 03/29/04 10:48 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

That sounds like service-to-selfism to me. When one's only concern is for the self.
It is one path..
An illusion..perhaps.. for maybe after it's all over and you look back.. you may see that it was not the self that was the only source of life and perception, but all things, and that they all contain that same source. What a mindfuck that would be.

You're not the oak tree, you are the acorn, which has the potential for oak trees...like all acorns.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology