Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2  [ show all ]
OfflineNOUS333
Stranger Than You
I'm a teapot

Quit smoking pot after 10 years. Cognitive issues * 2
    #24764017 - 11/06/17 02:09 PM (6 years, 5 months ago)

I recently quit smoking pot after daily use for 10 going on 11 years.  I’m wondering if the issues I am having cognitively are a result of being so used to life stoned, or if they are just issues the pot helped this whole time and I’m noticing them all over again.  Growing up I displayed a lot of add like behavior.. eventually around 16 I was prescribed adderall and diagnosed with add.  Not adhd. Plain old add.  I’d say around 19 I started believing add was a crock of shit and realized the pot I had been smoking seemed to be neccesary even when I was on it to sort of guide the focus. Eventually I just took adderall for work and honestly to just do things I flat out didn’t want to do. I guess I used pot for the exact same reasons. I don’t really know if I ever had or have add    My mother is great at finding doctors and implicating diagnosis before being diagnosed and I almost feel like we just payed a guy to diagnose me and prescribe meth.    I hate the idea of add I feel like it’s just a label for people who see that life as it is is just a fucking lie they have to go along with or something. A way to bind consciousness to said lie. 

Anyways

I quit smoking pot and it seems like I don’t care at all about any of the many books I have sitting out still which I was immersed in while smoking, ironically enough my short term memory seems to be destroyed - which is partly I think a result of getting lost in thoughts that are totally unrelated to whatever it is I’m doing - for example- making food I will get side tracked and spend an hour doing something else and then realize I was making food,  or even worse I’ll be cleaning or something and get side tracked and not even realize I got side tracked until I see the half cleaned mess days later, I also noticed recently when I tried playing video games for something to do. I just don’t care. I cannot follow it. Same with tv. I just feel very removed from being able to enjoy everything I used to be able to get lost in. I keep telling myself when I think to ask my doctor about it that I’m creating these symptoms by acknowledging something that doesn’t exist and I need to just will my way through them... but to be honest I have no idea.

I’m also admittedly going through a bit of a depressive episode and deep down I don’t want to get things done with the urgency of someone who cares about life.  I recently moved to a new place and I just feel there’s nothing to go on for me here. Nothing to sweep me into the goings on of life that distract most people and bring them joy. For this reason I’ve avoided tripping although deep down I believe it could help me to be less depressed. I just am terrified of exactly that happening only to realize my environment has nothing for me. And I’m not just being pessimistic when I say this. I literally have moved not by choice to the worst place I’ve ever lived. No book stores no Nothing  Just farms and old folks stuck in the 50s. 
  I don’t know if the lack of focus is add, depression, or both. OR. Could it possibly be my brain just so used to accomplishing tasks with pot in my system?

I’m also basically living on my own for only the second time in my life and I wonder if I’m not just overwhelmed by basically house/property ownership and maybe that’s contributing to all of this. I just get so discouraged thinking about making my life better in future if I can’t even make it alright and orderly now.  Taking adderall always made me feel in complete control to the point of feeling too in control. Now that I’m older I wonder if that was just the reckless young male in me expressing itself and if maybe I would benefit from it at this point in my life where I want to have that control although even the thought of taking that garbage makes me cringe. It’s like taking a drug to live a perfect life when the imperfect one is much more comfortable.  This is all such a mind fuck

If you read this far. What do you think?

- is add a bunch of lies?
- is adderall an excuse and a crutch?
- have you any experience quitting everyday pot use and having similar issues?
- has Tripping ever helped to increase your focus in life substantially ?

Any input would be appreciated. I’m lost folks.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineSleepyE
DMT is metaphysical
Male User Gallery

Loc: Ontario, Canada, Flag
Re: Quit smoking pot after 10 years. Cognitive issues [Re: NOUS333]
    #24764042 - 11/06/17 02:20 PM (6 years, 5 months ago)

i smoke weed a lot everyday(1 - 1.5g a day) and notice zero cognitive disabilities, but i also practice piano usually 5 hours a day or more so i think the constant use of my brain to use patterns and remember a fuck load of notes keeps my brain really healthy .

--------------------
My Drawingzz
Draw DMT!

Trip Report: SHROOMS DMT---- My Youtube Psychedelic Channel

Edited by SleepyE (11/06/17 04:28 PM)

OfflineKonyap

Loc: Planet Piss
Re: Quit smoking pot after 10 years. Cognitive issues [Re: SleepyE]
    #24764503 - 11/06/17 05:18 PM (6 years, 5 months ago)

honestly t.v. is so dumb it's like how can you not smoke pot and watch it
but at the same time I know whats going on more because I'm not stopping to kiss the air every five seconds

i honestly think pot has a degenerative effect that could be passed down to children ever so slightly which is why six months out of the year I don't smoke pot. i'd prefer to pop out a kid one day and then smoke every day after that lol

OfflineSleepyE
DMT is metaphysical
Male User Gallery

Re: Quit smoking pot after 10 years. Cognitive issues [Re: Konyap]
    #24764508 - 11/06/17 05:20 PM (6 years, 5 months ago)

i think pot is pretty benign, at least ime.

ive had slowness when i stopped but that was mostly due to severe depression and anxiety from trauma.

--------------------
My Drawingzz
Draw DMT!

Edited by SleepyE (11/06/17 05:22 PM)

OfflineNOUS333
Stranger Than You
I'm a teapot

#24764621 - 11/06/17 06:04 PM (6 years, 5 months ago)

SleepyE. Are you on YouTube??? Name sounds familiar. 

And as far as what you’ve said. I told myself the same thing while I was smoking but part of quitting was realizing I was hugely biased against non smokers and my objective perception was biased towards pot use. If that makes sense. Not to imply pot is physically bad or even that this happens to all users but I just was assuming older people that didn’t smoke were more naive than I was cause I did    And I still can’t tell you if I was right or wrong but I kind of want to say I was wrong.  That everyone has lived a hard life and gained their own subjective insights and smoking a plant has nothing to do with their value    I also was telling myself I’m much better than users of alcohol and other drugs but I honestly feel like I was using pot to escape just like people use alcohol or pills.  I started remembering the first time I got high and I realized holy shit I’m altering perception and kind of taking it for granted that I’m inhaling chemicals into an actual physical body and brain to influence a mind and it kind of made me want to respect my body more. It also made me realize that living in a area where tons of people used it made me a lot more inclined to use it when I didn’t even need it and not really care or pay attention to how much I was using

OfflineSleepyE
DMT is metaphysical
Male User Gallery

#24764724 - 11/06/17 06:40 PM (6 years, 5 months ago)

yeah dude i am haha i made those jester dmt videos

i use pot cuz it cures insomnia, helps with anxiety, i love how it feels, and i appreciate the psychotic increase effect it has cuz its good for art and pareidolia, also it makes repetitive tasks like piano practice more enjoyable.

--------------------
My Drawingzz
Draw DMT!

Edited by SleepyE (11/06/17 07:22 PM)

OfflineNOUS333
Stranger Than You
I'm a teapot

#24764781 - 11/06/17 07:02 PM (6 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

SleepyE said:
yeah dude i am haha i made those jester dmt videos

i use pot cuz it cures insomnia, anxiety, i love how it feels, and i appreciate the psychotic increase effect it has cuz its good for art and pareidolia, also it makes repetitive tasks like piano practice more enjoyable.

It’s a small world after all.  I guess part of me wants to be able to do everything without pot. But. As I said it’s fucking hard. And I’m starting to wonder if most my interests only exist because I started it.  Reading is a big one. I just can’t stay interested and I feel like it’s not necessarily just when I was high I was more interested it’s almost like just having smoked puts some kind of metaphorical layer on perception/the mind that makes things more easily pass through.  I don’t know.  I talked to a Freemason about all this and they said ‘it opens you up to other things’. But I haven’t decided that’s as much of a bad thing as they have implied.  I know you talked about your gpa being involved with that lol...I remember the dumbest/weirdest things.

OfflineSleepyE
DMT is metaphysical
Male User Gallery

#24764838 - 11/06/17 07:21 PM (6 years, 5 months ago)

i just find life to be a little better with weed, although i want to switch to purely vaping so i dont risk damaging my lungs or anything.

--------------------
My Drawingzz
Draw DMT!

OfflineNOUS333
Stranger Than You
I'm a teapot

#24764898 - 11/06/17 07:55 PM (6 years, 5 months ago)

If I didn’t live in such a close minded area and need a good job/career I would probably have half the reason to quit.  And I wouldn’t even be making this post most likely.

OfflineSleepyE
DMT is metaphysical
Male User Gallery

#24764984 - 11/06/17 08:38 PM (6 years, 5 months ago)

ahah yeah my situation is different. weed technically aids my career aspirations for what im striving towards. anything to boost creativity :yesnod:

--------------------
My Drawingzz
Draw DMT!

Edited by SleepyE (11/06/17 08:39 PM)

OfflineEternitySeeker
ॐ PSYTRANCE ॐ

Loc: Shankara
    #24765410 - 11/07/17 02:54 AM (6 years, 5 months ago)

Hi ,

If you want to have a greater laser-sharp  focus each day and overall better health get into Intermittent Fasting !

Its just great

--------------------
Believe in Something you can not describe

Tune up your chips and circuits , you are going to live longer
Peace

:leocheers:

OfflineRJ Tubs 202
Male

Loc: USA Flag
    #24770624 - 11/09/17 12:59 AM (6 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

NOUS333 said:

I recently quit smoking pot after daily use for 10 going on 11 years.

I smoked weed daily for 25 years. I believed it helped me.

But eventuality I realized it caused me anxiety and depression.

How long has it been since you stopped? It can take a month or two for your brain
to get back to normal and begin producing those feel good self-soothing chemicals.

I wake up well rested now. Instead of dragging myself out of bed still half baked.

OfflineNOUS333
Stranger Than You
I'm a teapot

Re: Quit smoking pot after 10 years. Cognitive issues [Re: RJ Tubs 202]
    #24770949 - 11/09/17 07:35 AM (6 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

RJ Tubs 202 said:
Quote:

NOUS333 said:

I recently quit smoking pot after daily use for 10 going on 11 years.

I smoked weed daily for 25 years. I believed it helped me.

But eventuality I realized it caused me anxiety and depression.

How long has it been since you stopped? It can take a month or two for your brain
to get back to normal and begin producing those feel good self-soothing chemicals.

I wake up well rested now. Instead of dragging myself out of bed still half baked.

It’s been close to a month but I can’t relate to you at all regarding waking up half baked... that stuff stopped happening to me when I was a teenager... maybe my brain just got used to it.  But even while I was smoking and I was smoking good shit, I never really even felt baked.  Just a stony focus.  I went through a period in young teens where I actually would get high and go out into public so much trying to make my mind treat it like no big deal so I could get rid of that oh no I’m baked feeling.

To this day I can not at all relate with people who say they get too high unless their talking about huge doses via edibles.  It could be something I put into my head as a teenager but I always would tell myself and even some psych docs I went to that I just don’t feel pot effects me like everyone else.  Could be because of my amount of consistent use though

OfflineRJ Tubs 202
Male

#24772674 - 11/09/17 10:36 PM (6 years, 5 months ago)

I meant when I smoked I never woke up fully refreshed and well rested.

Intoxication usually effects the quality of sleep. Many use caffeine in an attempt to counteract it.

Offlineyoosername
Lab Member

Loc: Terra Fracta
    #24772708 - 11/09/17 11:15 PM (6 years, 5 months ago)

Since I was young I noticed I was developing cognitive issues that only got worse with time.  Eventually it progressed into disease, and I began doing research.  I did some calculations and realized that every year, I consume ~44 mg of mercury from amalgams alone.  It may not sound like much, but 44 mg of DMT would change your mind on the matter.  As the most toxic non-radioactive element on the periodic table, Hg is more than capable of causing neurological disorders.  It's an extremely potent neurotoxin that has a synergistic effect on other toxins in the body. 

Cannabis can help prevent neuropathy when used correctly, but smoking can cause more mercury to be released from tooth surfaces, and the more toxins you inhale, the harder they are to excrete.

I've been using weed medicinally for a few years now, vape, oils, and juice.  I get insomnia from too much THC so I try not to toke past my last meal.  CBD is great for brain fog.

--------------------
O son of Kunti, I am the taste of water, the light of the sun and the moon, the syllable om in the Vedic mantras; I am the sound in ether and ability in man.

OfflineRJ Tubs 202
Male

Re: Quit smoking pot after 10 years. Cognitive issues [Re: yoosername]
    #24772718 - 11/09/17 11:24 PM (6 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

yoosername said:

I did some calculations and realized that every year, I consume ~44 mg of mercury from amalgams alone.

How did you make that calculation?

Many millions of people must also be in the same boat as you?

Offlinemisterjingo
Divided by zero
Male

Loc: Shangri-La Flag
    #24772746 - 11/09/17 11:46 PM (6 years, 5 months ago)

I've smoked daily for 6-7 years, but lately, I noticed some small decline in word recall. My profession needs me to work at a high level, the recall problem wasn't noticeable externally, so it wasn't really a problem. I decided to quit smoking for a bit to see if weed was the cause, or just an aging brain.

I'm 5 days in and haven't noticed any negative cognitive issues. Interestingly, I've noticed no side effects at all from quitting cold turkey. My sleep quality has even improved. I've had a couple of mild headaches, but that's it - and I can't really attribute them to weed "withdrawal" - they could just be headaches!

OfflineNOUS333
Stranger Than You
I'm a teapot

Re: Quit smoking pot after 10 years. Cognitive issues [Re: misterjingo]
    #24773012 - 11/10/17 07:19 AM (6 years, 5 months ago)

Well. My issue is. Cognitive problems are getting much much worse WITHOUT weed.  I’m less motivated less interested in subjects I’ve been researching for years they just don’t matter now, I’m less sociable around people and family and my memory when completing tasks or remembering to do things around the house even taking the dog out on time have all been negatively affected.  I’ve even noticed a couple times since quitting and who knows how many times i haven’t noticed... washing my hair with body wash in the shower or using shampoo for body wash.  I just don’t feel as present. But like i said in beginning this might have something to do with being depressed too

OfflineSleepyE
DMT is metaphysical
Male User Gallery

#24773224 - 11/10/17 09:23 AM (6 years, 5 months ago)

thats depression man, depression fucks up your cognitive abilities a lot if its bad.

--------------------
My Drawingzz
Draw DMT!

OfflineNOUS333
Stranger Than You
I'm a teapot

#24773285 - 11/10/17 09:51 AM (6 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

SleepyE said:
thats depression man, depression fucks up your cognitive abilities a lot if its bad.

Yeah i think so too. I really need a Psilo session. But i recently moved and I’m totally afraid to trip without my old community of friends around for some reason.  Sucks because i know it would help

Offlineyoosername
Lab Member

Loc: Terra Fracta
    #24773816 - 11/10/17 01:40 PM (6 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

RJ Tubs 202 said:
Quote:

yoosername said:

I did some calculations and realized that every year, I consume ~44 mg of mercury from amalgams alone.

How did you make that calculation?

Many millions of people must also be in the same boat as you?

The calculations were generated based on the number of fillings, days in a year, and an average release of 15 micrograms per filling per day.

(15 µg / 1000) x (8 x 365) = 43.8 mg/year

I didn't take into account variables such as pH, mastication, UHF/ELF or electromagnetic field exposure, so it could be more or less.  Either way it is still way too much.  Modern toxicology doesn't have a model to describe the chronic barrage of microexposures we are subjected to every day.

Not just millions, billions, and not just humans either.  Global concentrations of various toxins are on the rise, too many to list.  These toxins are found in increasing concentrations the higher you go in the food chain (biomagnification) and are a major contributing factor to the Holocene extinction event. 

Currently only ~50% of US dentists still use amalgam fillings, but even amongst those that don't, improper removal techniques are rampant.  There's been a bunch of biological dentists trying to expand their practice, but with the ADA claiming that mercury amalgams are "safe", you still get that fine line between believers.  In the past, dentists have lost their licenses by recommending the removal of amalgams for toxicological reasons.  The battle against mercury fillings started well over a century ago, and may well continue for another.  The problems only spread when you die, from ashes to air, or slowly leeching into the groundwater.  Each amalgam contains ~0.6 grams of mercury.

As people are different, it takes a while for science to reach a consensus.  There are those who detoxify quickly and efficiently, and those who are sensitive/allergic to heavy metals.  This is determined by genetics, exposures, infections and lifestyle.  Unfortunately this means that those who don't "believe" in toxins, who have never felt their effects, are most often the one's defending their safety and efficacy, while the burden of proof falls upon the afflicted, those whose experiences are nothing more than anecdotal, but who know the darkness all too well.

People are inherently misunderstanding, and have a need for labels to describe what they see.  Unable to operate within the unknown, we assume science is proven and accept "facts" as they are presented to us, but everything in science is the result of a lack of understanding, mere observations we hope will ring true through other disciplines into the future.  To accurately describe the entirety of a problem, we must define an ungodly number of variables in a stringent, methodical fashion, and communicate those findings to thousands.  In this, information must be tailored to bridge the knowledge gap by way of conversion; through analogy, through common truths, from language to concept, and across a multitude of transcribers.  One method is through generalization, in which much is lost to interpretation.

One such generalization is disease, described as a correlation of symptoms rather than a progression of circumstance.  Take, for example, ADHD.  Described as unfocused, restless.  But rest in this sense is unhealthy, to be sitting idle four hours on end.  Perhaps it is a biological coping mechanism for the influence of our culture, to be focused on one small thing, and not the big picture, to be confined to one space, day after day, in an endless repetitive cycle.

There was a study done on depressed teenagers in which they played a video game killing monsters, and were asked at the end how many they thought they had killed.  The control group guessed around 4x more than they actually had, and the depressed group was accurate within 10%.  In this day and age, awareness is depressing.  Intuition leads one to notice discrepancies between what is and what ought to be, what was and could be, that can't be rationalized or explained, but resonates with the very fact of one's existence.  Such realizations come and go, but for a moment in eternity make everything clear.  We were born to see the best of this world, but live to watch it fade away.  This invokes a profound sense of loss that few can consciously perceive, only in the fragments of broken dreams.

--------------------
O son of Kunti, I am the taste of water, the light of the sun and the moon, the syllable om in the Vedic mantras; I am the sound in ether and ability in man.

OfflineNOUS333
Stranger Than You
I'm a teapot

Re: Quit smoking pot after 10 years. Cognitive issues [Re: yoosername]
    #24774148 - 11/10/17 04:33 PM (6 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

yoosername said:
Quote:

RJ Tubs 202 said:
Quote:

yoosername said:

One such generalization is disease, described as a correlation of symptoms rather than a progression of circumstance.  Take, for example, ADHD.  Described as unfocused, restless.  But rest in this sense is unhealthy, to be sitting idle four hours on end.  Perhaps it is a biological coping mechanism for the influence of our culture, to be focused on one small thing, and not the big picture, to be confined to one space, day after day, in an endless repetitive cycle.

There was a study done on depressed teenagers in which they played a video game killing monsters, and were asked at the end how many they thought they had killed.  The control group guessed around 4x more than they actually had, and the depressed group was accurate within 10%.  In this day and age, awareness is depressing.  Intuition leads one to notice discrepancies between what is and what ought to be, what was and could be, that can't be rationalized or explained, but resonates with the very fact of one's existence.  Such realizations come and go, but for a moment in eternity make everything clear.  We were born to see the best of this world, but live to watch it fade away.  This invokes a profound sense of loss that few can consciously perceive, only in the fragments of broken dreams.

“”””In this day and age, awareness is depressing.  Intuition leads one to notice discrepancies between what is and what ought to be, what was and could be, that can't be rationalized or explained, but resonates with the very fact of one's existence.  Such realizations come and go, but for a moment in eternity make everything clear.  We were born to see the best of this world, but live to watch it fade away.  This invokes a profound sense of loss that few can consciously perceive, only in the fragments of broken dreams””””

This.  I want to put this on a fucking t shirt and wear it everywhere i go

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals