Home | Community | Message Board

Avalon Magic Plants
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Next >  [ show all ]
InvisibleXlea321
Stranger
Bush "jokes" about WMD
    #2476279 - 03/26/04 09:49 AM (20 years, 7 days ago)

Got to love how Kerry makes no reference to the thousands of Iraqis Bush slaughtered.

President George Bush sparked a political firestorm yesterday after making what many judged a tasteless and ill-judged joke about the failure to find weapons of mass destruction in Iraq.

Mr Bush made the joke at a black-tie event for radio and television journalists in Washington on Wednesday night.

He narrated a slide show, described as the White House election year album, making hay of the administration's reputation for secrecy and strained relations with European allies. But it was the joke about the war in Iraq that drew attacks.

A slide showed Mr Bush in the Oval office, leaning to look under a piece of furniture. "Those weapons of mass destruction have got to be here somewhere," he told the audience, drawing applause.

Another slide showed him peering into another part of the office, "Nope, no weapons over there," he said, laughing. "Maybe under here," he said, as a third slide was shown.

John Kerry, the Massachusetts Democrat who will fight Mr Bush for the White House said the joke displayed a "stunningly cavalier" attitude.

"If George Bush thinks his deceptive rationale for going to war is a laughing matter, then he's even more out of touch than we thought. Unfortunately for the president, this is not a joke."

He added: "585 American soldiers have been killed in Iraq in the last year, 3,354 have been wounded and there's no end in sight. George Bush sold us on going to war with Iraq based on the threat of weapons of mass destruction. But we still haven't found them, and now he thinks that's funny?"

The statement from Mr Kerry also included a comment from an Iraqi war veteran, Brad Owens.

"War is the single most serious event that a president or government can carry its people into," he said. "This cheapens the sacrifice that American soldiers and their families are dealing with every single day."

CNN viewers emailed the network to vent their anger at the joke. "How can a thinking, caring human being joke about the lies that led to body bags and broken young men and women? I was appalled," wrote one viewer. Another said: "It was tasteless and childish. It shows the true man - or child in his case."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/international/story/0,3604,1178541,00.html

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineLearyfanS
It's the psychedelic movement!
Male User Gallery

Loc: High pride!
Re: Bush "jokes" about WMD [Re: Xlea321]
    #2476343 - 03/26/04 10:15 AM (20 years, 7 days ago)

Anyone want to defend Bush for this one?

I find this unfuckingbelievable. I can't believe that he was allowed to make that joke. Who's turn was it to watch him? What an IDIOT.

This gives me an idea for a t-shirt/bumper sticker. "Bush joked. Thousands croaked."

--------------------
--------------------------------

Mp3 of the month:  Sons Of Adam - Feathered Fish

InvisibleEvolving
Resident Cynic

Loc: Apt #6, The Village
Re: Bush "jokes" about WMD [Re: Learyfan]
    #2476575 - 03/26/04 11:08 AM (20 years, 7 days ago)

Quote:

Learyfan said:
I can't believe that he was allowed to make that joke.

Allowed? Little Ceaser can do what he wants.

[tangential rant]Congress and the courts have rolled over and given powers to the executive not granted in the Constitution. The courts have rolled over and allowed both the executive and legislative branches to exceed the powers granted in the Constitution. The executive and legislative branches both have stood by while the judicial branch has created laws by judicial fiat instead of attempting to get unpopular measures through via the Constitutionally designated means.[/tangential rant]

--------------------
To call humans 'rational beings' does injustice to the term, 'rational.'  Humans are capable of rational thought, but it is not their essence.  Humans are animals, beasts with complex brains.  Humans, more often than not, utilize their cerebrum to rationalize what their primal instincts, their preconceived notions, and their emotional desires have presented as goals - humans are rationalizing beings.

OfflineLearyfanS
Male User Gallery

Re: Bush "jokes" about WMD [Re: Evolving]
    #2476643 - 03/26/04 11:26 AM (20 years, 7 days ago)

Bush has the intellect of a child. I?m sure his administration knows that his words need to be well measured.

He obviously doesn?t know not to say certain things. Someone needs to keep an eye on him or he?s going to really put his foot in his mouth(if he hasn?t already).

I just can?t imagine what?s going through his head. I don?t get it. Why would he imagine that that joke was funny?

--------------------

InvisibleEvolving
Resident Cynic

Loc: Apt #6, The Village
    #2476649 - 03/26/04 11:28 AM (20 years, 7 days ago)

Quote:

Learyfan said:
I just can't imagine what's going through his head.

Air.

--------------------
To call humans 'rational beings' does injustice to the term, 'rational.'  Humans are capable of rational thought, but it is not their essence.  Humans are animals, beasts with complex brains.  Humans, more often than not, utilize their cerebrum to rationalize what their primal instincts, their preconceived notions, and their emotional desires have presented as goals - humans are rationalizing beings.

OfflinePhred
Fred's son
Male

Loc: Dominican Republic
    #2476697 - 03/26/04 11:44 AM (20 years, 7 days ago)

Learyfan writes:

He obviously doesn't know not to say certain things. Someone needs to keep an eye on him or he's going to really put his foot in his mouth(if he hasn't already).

From Boortz.com --

Proving once again how out-of-touch and pathetic his campaign has become, John Kerry is now whining about a joke that President Bush made Wednesday night at the 60th annual Radio and Television Correspondents' dinner.? This is a traditionally non-partisan gathering presidents usually attend that is known for comedy and people poking fun at themselves.?

At the dinner, President Bush gave a speech in which he presented a slideshow of various self-incriminating pictures, and he gave a description of each.? In one of the photos, Bush is seen looking underneath a couch and he said "Those weapons of mass destruction have got to be somewhere."? The crowd erupted in laughter, and everyone got the joke.? The segment was replayed on the morning news shows, and everyone laughed and got the joke.? That is, except Democratic sourpuss John Kerry, who didn't find it a bit funny.? It looks like 'ole Lurch's skiing vacation didn't do a thing to loosen him up.? He should really get that checked out.

Offended that someone else might actually be having some fun, the Kerry campaign released a statement last night: "If George Bush thinks his deceptive rationale for going to war is a laughing matter, then he's even more out of touch than we thought."? Boy, this guy would be no fun at a party.? Unfortunately for Senator Kerry, he is the one that is out of touch.? Everyone else thought it was funny.

I guess we just learned that John Kerry can't take a joke. Poor baby.

But wait!? This just in! ?Kerry is upset about Bush's jokes at the correspondent's dinner.? But what about Kerry's joke back in 1998?? Matt Drudge has come up with a little joke that Kerry told back then about the first Bush administration.? Kerry said:? "Somebody told me the other day that the Secret Service has orders that if George Bush is shot, they're to shoot Quayle.? There isn't any press here, is there?"

So ... Bush makes a joke about searching for weapons of mass destruction in his office, and that's a real bad thing to John Kerry.? But it's quite OK for Kerry to make jokes about assassinating the Vice President.

I think I get it now.? This politics thing is sooooo confusing.?

-------------------------------------

pinky

--------------------

OfflineLearyfanS
Male User Gallery

Re: Bush "jokes" about WMD [Re: Phred]
    #2477084 - 03/26/04 01:21 PM (20 years, 7 days ago)

Is there anything you won?t apologize for Bush for? If Bush went to a soldier?s grave and took a shit on it, you?d find some excuse to justify it. Wait, what am I thinking, Bush at a soldier?s grave?

Fine, since Kerry made a joke about killing the VP 6 years ago Bush can joke all he wants about sending us to war for no reason.

--------------------

Offlinephi1618
old hand

#2477119 - 03/26/04 01:28 PM (20 years, 7 days ago)

The fact (or possibility, depending on your assesment) that Bush mislead the American people about the reasons for going to war in Iraq is an important point, one that increases the chance of Kerry getting elected.

Of course, Kerry will play it up at every opportunity.

Honestly, I have no problem with Bush joking about whatever he wants. Whether he intentionally misled us or not, I have no problem with him joking about the missing WMDs.
I doubt anybody who isn't allready going to vote Kerry cares about this.

Invisibleluvdemshrooms
Two inch dick..but it spins!?
 User Gallery

Loc: Lost In Space
Re: Bush "jokes" about WMD [Re: phi1618]
    #2477189 - 03/26/04 01:49 PM (20 years, 7 days ago)

Quote:

Honestly, I have no problem with Bush joking about whatever he wants. Whether he intentionally misled us or not, I have no problem with him joking about the missing WMDs.
I doubt anybody who isn't allready going to vote Kerry cares about this.

Another non issue that only the haters care about.

--------------------
You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity by legislating the wealthy out of prosperity. What one person receives without working for another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for that my dear friend is the beginning of the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it. ~ Adrian Rogers

OfflineLearyfanS
Male User Gallery

Re: Bush "jokes" about WMD [Re: phi1618]
    #2477198 - 03/26/04 01:50 PM (20 years, 7 days ago)

It's a big joke that we went to war under the pretense that Saddam was an imminent threat due to his WMD, and then didn't find any.

Bush joked. Thousands croaked.

--------------------

OfflineLearyfanS
Male User Gallery

Re: Bush "jokes" about WMD [Re: luvdemshrooms]
    #2477211 - 03/26/04 01:52 PM (20 years, 7 days ago)

500 plus American soldiers dead.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

--------------------

Invisibleluvdemshrooms
 User Gallery

#2477227 - 03/26/04 01:56 PM (20 years, 7 days ago)

You could use a more finely developed sense of humor. somedays it seems even a weak sense of humor would do you good.

--------------------
You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity by legislating the wealthy out of prosperity. What one person receives without working for another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for that my dear friend is the beginning of the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it. ~ Adrian Rogers

Invisibleafoaf
CEO DBK?
 User Gallery

Loc: Ripple's Heart
    #2477336 - 03/26/04 02:30 PM (20 years, 7 days ago)

I boycotted John Derring for months after that comic came out.

the gall!

--------------------
All I know is The Growery is a place where losers who get banned here go.

Invisibleluvdemshrooms
 User Gallery

Re: Bush "jokes" about WMD [Re: afoaf]
    #2477351 - 03/26/04 02:35 PM (20 years, 7 days ago)

Well at least no one can accuse you of not having a weak sense of humor.

--------------------

Invisiblesilversoul7
Chill the FuckOut!
 User Gallery

Loc: mndfreeze's puppet army
    #2477359 - 03/26/04 02:39 PM (20 years, 7 days ago)

I have to agree with you here, luv. I have always been a strong proponent of having a sense of humor. Anyone who can't take a joke, even from Bush, needs to lighten up.

--------------------

"It is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong."--Voltaire

OfflineBaby_Hitler
Errorist
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: To the limit!
Re: Bush "jokes" about WMD [Re: silversoul7]
    #2477390 - 03/26/04 02:53 PM (20 years, 7 days ago)

It's hard not to laugh at an incompetent buffoon.

--------------------
"America: Fuck yeah!" -- Alexthegreat

“Nothing can now be believed which is seen in a newspaper. Truth itself becomes suspicious by being put into that polluted vehicle. The real extent of this state of misinformation is known only to those who are in situations to confront facts within their knowledge with the lies of the day.”  -- Thomas Jefferson

The greatest sin of mankind is ignorance.

The press takes [Trump] literally, but not seriously; his supporters take him seriously, but not literally. --Salena Zeto (9/23/16)

OfflineLearyfanS
Male User Gallery

Re: Bush "jokes" about WMD [Re: silversoul7]
    #2477411 - 03/26/04 03:01 PM (20 years, 7 days ago)

Would it be ok if Bush made a joke about the intelligence failure on 9-11 a year after it happened?

--------------------

Invisiblesilversoul7
Chill the FuckOut!
 User Gallery

Loc: mndfreeze's puppet army
    #2477443 - 03/26/04 03:11 PM (20 years, 7 days ago)

Quote:

Learyfan said:
Would it be ok if Bush made a joke about the intelligence failure on 9-11 a year after it happened?

I'd laugh at it.

--------------------

"It is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong."--Voltaire

InvisibleXlea321
Stranger
    #2477627 - 03/26/04 04:12 PM (20 years, 7 days ago)

Seeing a man who has butchered, maimed and destroyed the lives of thousands of people laughing about it isn't really my sense of humour  :shake:

I wonder if any of you kids had lost loved ones in Sep 11 you'd find Bin Laden joking about it "funny".

Offlinevalour
Swordbearer

Loc: USA
Re: Bush "jokes" about WMD [Re: Xlea321]
    #2477791 - 03/27/04 11:07 AM (20 years, 6 days ago)

Eh, just add it to the list here.
It is a non-issue -- we already knew he was a jerk, but for better or worse, being a jerk isn't a crime or issue of political relevance. I certainly didn't expect him to have ~good~ taste.

--------------------
"Remember, son,
I didn't sell out-
I bought in."

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder