Home | Community | Message Board

Kratom Eye
Please support our sponsors.

Feedback and Administration >> Shroomery News Service

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals, CBD Capsules, CBD Edibles, CBD Oils, CBD Topicals   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, Bulk Cannabis Seeds, Feminized Cannabis Seeds, High THC Strains, USA West Coast Strains   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Amazon Magic Flight Launch Box, Tacos, Vaporizer

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
InvisibleMostly_HarmlessM
wyrd bið ful aræd
Male User Gallery

Loc: Perfidious Albion Flag
California slapping high taxes on marijuana, causing sticker shock for some
    #24762985 - 11/06/17 05:16 AM (3 years, 6 months ago)

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-pot-tax-20171105-story.html

Quote:

November 5 2017

California’s legal marijuana marketplace is coming with a kaleidoscope of new taxes and fees that could influence where it’s grown, how pot cookies and other munchies are produced and the price tag on just about everything.

Be ready for sticker shock.

On a retail level, it costs about $35 to buy a small bag of good quality medical marijuana in Los Angeles, enough to roll five or six joints.

But in 2018, when recreational sales take hold and additional taxes kick in, the cost of that same purchase in the new market is expected to increase at the retail counter to $50 or $60.

At the high end, that’s about a 70% jump.

Medical pot purchases are expected to rise in cost too, but not as steeply, industry experts say.

Or consider cannabis leaves, a sort of bottom-shelf product that comes from trimming prized plant buds. The loose, snipped leaves are typically gathered up and processed for use in cannabis-laced foods, ointments, concentrates and candies.

Growers sell a trash bag stuffed with clippings to manufacturers for about $50. But come January, the state will tax those leaves at $44 a pound.

That means the tax payment on a bag holding 7 or 8 pounds would exceed the current market price by five or six times, forcing a huge price hike or, more likely, rendering it essentially valueless.

“All it would become is compost,” predicted Ryan Jennemann of THC Design in Los Angeles, whose company has used the leaves to manufacture concentrated oils.

Governments struggling to keep up with the cost of everything from worker pensions to paving streets are eager for the cascade of new tax money from commercial pot sales that could eventually top $1 billion statewide.

But higher taxes for businesses and consumers give the state’s thriving illicit market a built-in advantage. Operators in the legal market have been urging regulators to be aggressive about shutting down rogue operators.

Donnie Anderson, a Los Angeles medical cultivator and retailer, predicted the higher level of state taxation next year is “just going to help the illicit market thrive.” He said more needs to be done to cut the cost, especially for medical users, many of whom won’t be able to absorb a price jump.

The increased tax rates are just one part of California’s sprawling plan to transform its long-standing medical and illegal markets into a multibillion-dollar regulated economy, the nation’s largest legal pot shop. The reshaping of such an expansive illegal economy into a legal one hasn’t been witnessed since the end of Prohibition in 1933.

The change has come haltingly. Many cities are unlikely to be ready by Jan. 1 to issue business licenses, which are needed to operate in the new market, while big gaps remain in the system intended to move cannabis from the field to distribution centers, then to testing labs and eventually retail shops.

The path to legalization began last year when voters approved Proposition 64, which opened the way for recreational pot sales to adults. Medical marijuana has been legal in California for about two decades.

Come January, state taxes will include a 15% levy on purchases of all cannabis and cannabis products, including medical pot.

Local governments are free to slap on taxes on sales and growing too, and that has created a confusing patchwork of rates that vary city to city, county to county.

In the agricultural hub of Salinas, southeast of San Francisco, voters approved a tax that will eventually rise to $25 a square foot for space used to cultivate the leafy plants, a rate that’s equivalent to about $1 million an acre.

But farther north, in the pot-growing mecca of Humboldt County, rates will be a comparative bargain, ranging from $1 to $3 for a square foot for cultivation space.

By some estimates Humboldt County has up to 15,000 unregulated pot grows, and Supervisor Ryan Sundberg said he was eager to fashion a tax scheme that would encourage cultivators to come into the legal system and adhere to environmental regulations.

Post Extras: Filter  Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineFractal420
Psycellium
Male User Gallery

Re: California slapping high taxes on marijuana, causing sticker shock for some [Re: Mostly_Harmless]
    #24763015 - 11/06/17 06:20 AM (3 years, 6 months ago)

Is this not the price of legality?

I mean, oregon is 25% no?

Yet people are very happy with the cannabis scene there

I mean Cali is kind of a special case with MMJ since 96. But if not a resident its a real pain in the ass, without cali ID. This makes it actuallly 21+ for any US citizen if im not mistaken.

Whenever i visit fam in LA i gotta either leave bud there or (after a time or two, i never do this anymore-) you gotta run around getting lied to about Recs as they try selling you everything from pieces of paper to bongs and vaporizers way overpriced. And specifically Being misleading that the rec place will sell you bud too, but nope. You waste time and money and are assured itll be easy peasy but then to even get anything you need to find another overpriced delivery service that doesnt care about ID. Or you need to give a friends name and a sob story to some budtender.
This works well for residents, but def not visitors to cali. And i dont think they mind pot tourism (which i am not, i lived in LA for a big chunk of my life and usually go to visit family, but i need to toke up at night or at some point)

In "emergencies" if i didnt leave any bud for the next trip, guess can always bring c02 carts but. To a legal state? Fuck that.

TLDR: id happily pay that to avoid all that rec-bureacracy for out of state ID. Im in cali enough for this to matter.

ALSO: this gives people incentive to buy from regular black market growers, which is not a bad thing, if youre in cali you have that choice. In my state choices are black market kush or black market sour d.

Edited by Fractal420 (11/06/17 06:36 AM)

OfflineKalimano
Similiferencer
 User Gallery

Re: California slapping high taxes on marijuana, causing sticker shock for some [Re: Fractal420]
    #24763085 - 11/06/17 07:58 AM (3 years, 6 months ago)

$50 for a trash bag of trim.

fucking hell bho is basically just the cost of butane in cali if youre willing to make it yourself?

I used to pay 200$ for a lb here in Michigan and it was still great profit

Offlinerider420
Ghost in the machine
Male User Gallery

Re: California slapping high taxes on marijuana, causing sticker shock for some [Re: Kalimano]
    #24763168 - 11/06/17 09:10 AM (3 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Kalimano said:

fucking hell bho is basically just the cost of butane in cali if youre willing to make it yourself?

Was that back when a dime bag was only ten cents?

In Canada we pay now about 11 per gram on the black market, under the new legalization taxation rules rolling out on Canada day the price of cannabis will be less then 10 bucks a gram. Oh and btw you can still grow your own  cheaper then that.

OfflineFreeTheSoul
The wonderer.
Re: California slapping high taxes on marijuana, causing sticker shock for some [Re: rider420]
    #24763275 - 11/06/17 10:18 AM (3 years, 6 months ago)

America, where lives dont matter only lining greedy fucks pockets does, its a surprise they "legalized" weed in states at all, tons more money keeping it illegal. :taco::cheers:

InvisibleAmanita86
OTD Admin
 User Gallery

Loc: hades
Re: California slapping high taxes on marijuana, causing sticker shock for some [Re: FreeTheSoul]
    #24763306 - 11/06/17 10:30 AM (3 years, 6 months ago)

Just consider it ‘not catching a felony for a sack of weed’ insurance.  Some people don’t have that option.

--------------------
:mushroom2:Orange clock, pencil:bouncysmoke:
"They threw me off the hay truck about noon...":fishing:
:mushroom2:*Mark 15:34:levitate::mushroom2::blueninja:
Gam zeh ya’avor...:sunny:

InvisibleAtreyu
Never Ending

Re: California slapping high taxes on marijuana, causing sticker shock for some [Re: Amanita86]
    #24763315 - 11/06/17 10:35 AM (3 years, 6 months ago)

I would think the price would decline overtime

--------------------

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ N = R* • fp • ne • fl • fi • fc • L 

InvisibleAmanita86
OTD Admin
 User Gallery

Loc: hades
Re: California slapping high taxes on marijuana, causing sticker shock for some [Re: Atreyu]
    #24763327 - 11/06/17 10:43 AM (3 years, 6 months ago)

Not now.  We got a new lawboy milkin that tit..

Really tho, the weed people are that minority who’s justice is only getting screwed ‘so much’.  You’re gonna be screwed with for awhile and when big brother cheats during the neighborhood game of street football consider yourself the little brother that just has to deal with it.  And then get the football slapped out of your hand as he walks away laughing at you. :shrug:

--------------------
:mushroom2:Orange clock, pencil:bouncysmoke:
"They threw me off the hay truck about noon...":fishing:
:mushroom2:*Mark 15:34:levitate::mushroom2::blueninja:
Gam zeh ya’avor...:sunny:

OfflineKalimano
Similiferencer
 User Gallery

Re: California slapping high taxes on marijuana, causing sticker shock for some [Re: rider420]
    #24763491 - 11/06/17 11:49 AM (3 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

rider420 said:
Quote:

Kalimano said:

Was that back when a dime bag was only ten cents?

In Canada we pay now about 11 per gram on the black market, under the new legalization taxation rules rolling out on Canada day the price of cannabis will be less then 10 bucks a gram. Oh and btw you can still grow your own  cheaper then that.

You pay 11$ a gram for trim?

Offlinerider420
Ghost in the machine
Male User Gallery

Re: California slapping high taxes on marijuana, causing sticker shock for some [Re: Kalimano]
    #24763545 - 11/06/17 12:15 PM (3 years, 6 months ago)

No we pay 11 per gram for bud or flower buddy.

I made a joke about how cheap your trim is Then I moved on to the topic at hand which is how much taxes there is on bud in California vs Canada.

OfflineKalimano
Similiferencer
 User Gallery

#24763661 - 11/06/17 01:15 PM (3 years, 6 months ago)

I get it I got confused lol, my bad

Im sure its more expensive now. This was back when medical like first got passed in michigan and for the most part no body had a clue what to do with their trim. In my area oil took a little while to catch on so I would basically just make like an oz at a time and smoke on that for what amounts to pennies. Now you cant find a bag of trim to save your life.

The dispensaries here are little more expensive then you. They have 10-12$ stuff but if you want anything with more than 18% thc you'll probably have to spend 15$

Offlinerider420
Ghost in the machine
Male User Gallery

#24763823 - 11/06/17 02:42 PM (3 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Kalimano said:
Im sure its more expensive now. This was back when medical like first got passed in michigan and for the most part no body had a clue what to do with their trim. In my area oil took a little while to catch on so I would basically just make like an oz at a time and smoke on that for what amounts to pennies. Now you cant find a bag of trim to save your life.

Ya its just so profitable to turn their trim into concentrates that nobody sells trim anymore. And we can blame the dabbers for that eh. :laugh:

InvisibleMicromicology
Stranger

#24765012 - 11/06/17 10:56 PM (3 years, 6 months ago)

That BS seems like a good way to get people growing their own and stop paying the state their taxes altogether.

OfflineFractal420
Psycellium
Male User Gallery

#24765436 - 11/07/17 05:32 AM (3 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Kalimano said:

Cali has shitty butane laws tho. I remember having trouble finding butane and naptha (latter is because its used for dmt), and they ban spores too :/

But i still lovvve cali and they can change all that

200 a lb of BHO? What the. Good stuff tends to be like 35/g around me, for good amber shatter

Live Rez being like 60-90...

--------------------
Dreaming of That face again.
It's bright and blue and shimmering.
Grinning wide
And comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes.

Prying open MY third eye

OfflineDoc9151M
Mycologist
Male User Gallery

Loc: Gulf Coast USA Flag
Re: California slapping high taxes on marijuana, causing sticker shock for some [Re: Fractal420]
    #24766420 - 11/07/17 02:49 PM (3 years, 6 months ago)

I live in redneck hell where a gram of dirt weed gets you a $1000 fine, 1yr probation, a trip to jail and 200 hours community service.

--------------------

Psilocybe cubensis data collection thread. please help with this project if you hunt wild cubensis.
https://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=26513593&page=0&vc=1#26513593

OfflineKalimano
Similiferencer
 User Gallery

#24767187 - 11/07/17 07:42 PM (3 years, 6 months ago)

No 200$ for a lb of trim lmao.

If i could get bho for 200$ a lb id take out a second mortgage just to buy as much as possible lol.Hell a gram of oil lasts me a week a lb i would never have to buy pot again

The oil laws here in MI were and kinda are still fucked up. Had a cop take my oil once but not my bud saying the oil doesnt count yet, and now all the dispensaries sell it for about 40$/g

Edit: just saw the live resin thing you said. Someone around here has been selling 'live resin' for like 100$/g. Turns out my ex was fucking the guy making it and i found out all he was doing was buying bubble bag hash for like 30$/g and pressing it into some heat plates he made and selling it for a 300% profit

Fucker :shrug:

Edited by Kalimano (11/07/17 07:46 PM)

Offlinedurian_2008
Cornucopian Eating an Elephant
 User Gallery

#24769146 - 11/08/17 02:20 PM (3 years, 6 months ago)

Regarding the price of trim and butane --
The concentrates are still illegal.

There is usually some arbitrary hurdle to self-sufficiency.

InvisibleStonehenge
Alt Center
Male User Gallery

Loc: S.E.
Re: California slapping high taxes on marijuana, causing sticker shock for some [Re: durian_2008]
    #24769185 - 11/08/17 02:36 PM (3 years, 6 months ago)

Grow your own. If there is a limit on plants, use training tecs to get more out of each plant. Greedy govt fucks have shot themselves in the foot on the price hikes.

--------------------
“A democracy cannot exist as a permanent form of government. It can only exist until the voters discover that they can vote themselves largesse from the public treasury. From that moment on, the majority always votes for the candidates promising the most benefits from the public treasury with the result that a democracy always collapses over loose fiscal policy, always followed by a dictatorship.” (attributed to Alexis de Tocqueville political philosopher Circa 1835)

Trade list http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/18047755

Offlinedurian_2008
Cornucopian Eating an Elephant
 User Gallery

Re: California slapping high taxes on marijuana, causing sticker shock for some [Re: Stonehenge]
    #24769203 - 11/08/17 02:44 PM (3 years, 6 months ago)

There are also putative limits on the end product, of which I was aware.

I don't personally find that I have an addictive personality, where I need endless amounts of it, constantly.

I just a had a philosophical argument, against the glass ceiling.

InvisibleStonehenge
Alt Center
Male User Gallery

Loc: S.E.
Re: California slapping high taxes on marijuana, causing sticker shock for some [Re: durian_2008]
    #24769739 - 11/08/17 07:16 PM (3 years, 6 months ago)

Most places have a limit on plants and on dry bud but I dont think they weigh the buds while growing. Who cares, people grow even when its totally not legal.

--------------------
“A democracy cannot exist as a permanent form of government. It can only exist until the voters discover that they can vote themselves largesse from the public treasury. From that moment on, the majority always votes for the candidates promising the most benefits from the public treasury with the result that a democracy always collapses over loose fiscal policy, always followed by a dictatorship.” (attributed to Alexis de Tocqueville political philosopher Circa 1835)

Trade list http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/18047755

Jump to top. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals, CBD Capsules, CBD Edibles, CBD Oils, CBD Topicals   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, Bulk Cannabis Seeds, Feminized Cannabis Seeds, High THC Strains, USA West Coast Strains   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Amazon Magic Flight Launch Box, Tacos, Vaporizer

Feedback and Administration >> Shroomery News Service