Home | Community | Message Board

Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Science and Technology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: Malt Extract, Mycobags, Scales

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1

Loc: On Ilkley Moor Bah 'Tat
CDs?Yogurt? check it out!
    #2476213 - 03/26/04 11:33 AM (12 years, 6 months ago)

This is a little old but i'v ben meanin to post this for a while...
ever so slightly off topic but fascinating all the same...
basically its about fractally altering the digital info on a CD by smearing it with bio-yogurt then incubating!
(this article was first drawn to my attention in a copy of NewScientist sometime last summer...i think this is the origional article(?)

-""Tired of listening to the same old sound coming from your overplayed Britany and Celine Dion CDs? Well a new discovery is bringing a new lease of life to these soon-to-be coasters. Here's what to do: Smear yoghurt on CD. Let it dry. Slide the disc into the player. Crank up the volume. And hear that music in a completely fresh, possibly spine-chilling way.

The bizarre innovation -- an "optical biocomputer" if you must know -- is the brainchild of an Australian scientist, Cameron Jones, who as well as being a mathematician with a record of published research also owns a nightclub and bar in Melbourne, New Scientist reports.

Jones' pet area of research is how signals can be transmitted through biological cells, which grow in a so-called "fractal" way, like tree branches.

He became intrigued by experimental musicians and DJs who, from the mid-1980s, sanded, varnished or even slapped paint onto CDs to create new sounds to sample.

Music on CDs comes from tiny etched pits in the tracks that represent binary digits, the "0" or "1" that make up a computer code. The code, reflected back by the laser in the CD player, is then processed back into an electronic signal and converted to sound.

Mutilating the surface, so that some of the pits are missed, thus changes the sound.

But Jones found that much subtler sounds could be achieved using fungal or bacterial growth, rather than scraping or coating the disc's surface.

This is because these life forms introduce tiny errors, on a micron on nanoscale level rather than the far bigger millimetric scale.

In addition, the way fungus and bacteria can shape the sound in weird ways. Bacteria grow by cell division, while fungi grow by branching. Both processes can be controlled by adding malt extract to the disc as food.

Jones told New Scientist that he came across the discovery quite by accident, when he was DJing in his bar. "I often change CDs when my hands are wet with beer," he told the British weekly.

"One night I must have changed the CDs, touched the data surface, then left them for use on another night."

The following week, he put on a CD by Nine Inch Nails and found that it would not play properly because fungus had grown on it.

But the fungus had not ruined the disc. The original audio sequence was there, but it would sometimes change in pitch and there were small staccato noises in the background.

He asked himself: "What would happen if I purposely grew fungi, yeast or bacteria in direct contact with the media, and manipulated their fractal dimensions?" Yoghurt-on-a-disc was born!

Jones says that he has yet to damage any of his discs or players with his pioneering work, but warns that the technique does crash CD players on computers because the software cannot cope.""-

Reckon you could make some kind of liquid cubensis myc and make some majickly altered tunes??! i'm gonna try! :smile:

we compensate for the lack of warmth with hard fast t3kno you see...

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Mr MycoBag

Loc: NC, USA
Re: CDs?Yogurt? check it out! [Re: KinNorvernMonkey]
    #2476313 - 03/26/04 12:02 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

Yes that is neat. Here is a post about that in the Shroomery news from a while back

Loc: On Ilkley Moor Bah 'Tat
Re: CDs?Yogurt? check it out! [Re: MycoFactory]
    #2476322 - 03/26/04 12:07 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

shud av known itd be here already!
anyone tried using honeywater on CDs!?

we compensate for the lack of warmth with hard fast t3kno you see...

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: Malt Extract, Mycobags, Scales

General Interest >> Science and Technology