Home | Community | Message Board

High Mountain Compost
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Getting Started

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Edibles, CBD Oils   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
InvisibleBattyKodaS
WCA President
I'm a teapot User Gallery

Loc: Boof Hard Or Go Home
Contaminated Cake / Spent Cake Teks? (Outdoor Cultivation)
    #24746532 - 10/29/17 11:37 PM (3 years, 6 months ago)

Im a first time grower on my second flush. I had a Brf cake get contaminated with green mold. I removed the cake from the fc and broke it into four pieces and placed them in a rotting tree stump.

Ive done a little research on spent cakes going outdoors and found some people bury them in patches in the woods. After i dug my patch out and made my holes I went and got the pieces out of the stump without looking. Two of the four pieces had 3 pins. I went ahead and put them in my holes and covered them up. Now im hoping for the best. ( Sorry i did not take pictures. It was starting to rain as soon as i saw the pins. )

With this being said i have a few questions:

If these pieces continue to pin and fruit in this patch outside. Will the fruits be edible since it did have the green mold? ( Before i eat any mushrooms growing outside i will be posting to the identification forum for verification )

Hopefully i will never have another contaminated cake again but that's very unlikely haha. If this were to happen again should i even bother burying it or just trash it like i do the contaminated jars?

After my cakes are spent and its time for them to leave the fc. Where would the best place be for these cakes to be buried. My patch in the woods? My compost piles in the woods? My garden?

Any advice on additives i should add to the soil where i bury them to help them be more fruitful?

I do understand once a cake is spent it will no longer produce more mushrooms. I just feel like throwing a fully colonized cake in the trash is a waste of good mycelium. Spent or not.

Honestly i just feel better giving the cake back to the earth. Hopefully helping the soil around it and if it gives me a surprise like i found today then that's even better!

Thank you for your time and i wish you all the best of luck!

--------------------

A Man Must Learn To Sail In All Winds.:bliss: RIP ModestMouse & Big Worm:heart:

Edited by BattyKoda (11/22/17 11:53 PM)

Post Extras: Filter  Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineNavidson
That Guy
 User Gallery

Re: Contaminated Cake Pins (Outdoor Cultivation) [Re: BattyKoda] * 1
    #24746586 - 10/29/17 11:58 PM (3 years, 6 months ago)

I don't have any experience with outdoor grows. I can tell you that trich (the green mold) isn't toxic for future referece.

--------------------
“Passion has little to do with euphoria and everything to do with patience. It is not about feeling good. It is about endurance. Like patience, passion comes from the same Latin root: pati. It does not mean to flow with exuberance. It means to suffer.”
- MZD

InvisibleBattyKodaS
WCA President

Re: Contaminated Cake Pins (Outdoor Cultivation) [Re: Navidson]
    #24746590 - 10/30/17 12:02 AM (3 years, 6 months ago)

Thank you! I thought so but i just wanted to be sure before i took that chance.

--------------------

InvisibleBattyKodaS
WCA President

Re: Contaminated Cake Pins (Outdoor Cultivation) [Re: BattyKoda]
    #24749443 - 10/31/17 11:00 AM (3 years, 6 months ago)

24 hour bump

Is this tek any good or outdated?

https://www.shroomery.org/8494/Moes-Outdoor-Growing-Tek

--------------------

OfflineThe Mycologist
Explorer

Re: Contaminated Cake Pins (Outdoor Cultivation) [Re: BattyKoda] * 1
    #24749476 - 10/31/17 11:18 AM (3 years, 6 months ago)

Hella outdated

I didnt read it but its 13 years old.

Here are some good resources https://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/19140341#19140341

The shrooms are fine to eat if they came from a contamed cake. You can bury them somewhere partly in the shade. You may be surprised on what will pop up from the spent sub pile. Just bury them pretty shallow.

--------------------
"That you are here—that life exists, and identity;
That the powerful play goes on, and you will contribute a verse.”
― Walt Whitman, Leaves of Grass
:acidfire::tmckenna:

Edited by The Mycologist (10/31/17 11:24 AM)

InvisibleBattyKodaS
WCA President

Re: Contaminated Cake Pins (Outdoor Cultivation) [Re: The Mycologist]
    #24749726 - 10/31/17 01:05 PM (3 years, 6 months ago)

Thanks for the advice and the link. Everything on the subject i have found is way old but posted by creditable members.

I buried the 4 cake pieces in the woods in shallow graves about 2 inches down 2 inches apart. Covered them up with same dirt i took out the holes. They are in a shady area under some trees but still get sunlight near the end of the day. This where i plan to have my patch. Just haven't figured out the tek im going to use yet.

Im basically planning ahead for when my other 12 cakes are spent and future spent grows.

--------------------

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Edibles, CBD Oils   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Getting Started