Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinewaxbrain
That Fun Guy
I'm a teapot

Monotub humidity? Shoebox 3nd flush HARVEST.
    #24733543 - 10/24/17 08:54 AM (6 years, 5 months ago)

I wont let failure get me down. From vendor spawn bags all being thrown out due to bacteria and using the wrong tek for the wrong spawn.. I'm dedicated. Going to do everything myself from now on.

Last night I prepared WBS per Fooman's tek. I wanted to fill 10 jars but I only filled 7, and they are not full quarts, some look almost half. I believe i did the tek right, just underdid the amounts. Will be doing the other 3 cooking a little less. After I see success in my method. I may have overcooked them as there are many variables that I need to get down. Hopefully I will have some more success with these jars than my previous try with bags (9 one lb bags and a 5lb were dumped due to bad bacteria.

Could using my pressure cooker to boil the WBS cause any problems? I just put the lid on and didnt lock it as I do not have a stock pot at the moment. The WBS when tilted leaves some grain on the side of the jars, is this normal or overcooked? If so I will just do all of the WBS over again, picking out the sunflower seeds (about half+) from my Pennington Classic was a bit of a pain though.

I had a successful grow with the help of a friend but since many years ago I have not made clean spawn myself with my own PC. It was MS syringe straight to rye berries and I ended up with luck.

Anyways, I will be starting with 3 plates of Menace MS syringe & 3 from another MS syringe. The jars I will inoculate all Alacabenzie or half and half with GT. I figure if I go with all of one strain Ill have more hope to get some clean spawn. Currently I have a 6qt shoebox colonizing (1:3 50/50) and will provide pictures later on. Never had one going so I'm interested in how it will do.

I will get this to work, I just know it.. I'm not gonna let failure (even this time around) make me give up. I cant wait to develop more confidence. During inoculation/etc I get nervous and get a bit shaky. Any tips? Need a stockpot? I have a lot of pasty plates but I dont want to go overboard as well. I will post updates in this thread as the project progresses.

Have a great day everyone.

Edited by waxbrain (11/25/17 11:29 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleSnazz
Polymath
Male User Gallery

Loc: Canada Flag
Re: Another Grow/Agar experiment - i'll get it eventually.. [Re: waxbrain]
    #24733557 - 10/24/17 09:02 AM (6 years, 5 months ago)

Small amounts of grain are better if you are looking to get some clean spawn. Then grain 2 grain the best master jar. You can also move a grain to agar and look at how the culture grows.

Sometimes I keep one jar going for an invitro pin, then put that to media.

Good luck man!

Typically, I use RGS early and xfer to softer grains like the millet/milo that's in WBS

Edited by Snazz (10/24/17 09:14 AM)

Offlinewaxbrain
That Fun Guy
I'm a teapot

Re: Another Grow/Agar experiment - i'll get it eventually.. [Re: Snazz]
    #24733580 - 10/24/17 09:18 AM (6 years, 5 months ago)

Thanks! I'll keep everything in mind. Using spawn to agar sounds great, I'm nervous for G2G though haha - I know what it is just haven't dont much research. I dont want to screw this grow up.

Offlinewaxbrain
That Fun Guy
I'm a teapot

#24738630 - 10/26/17 09:09 AM (6 years, 5 months ago)

I have 16 jars of prepared WBS, the new batch does not stick at all to the jars - I had a huge problem though. I made the holes for the SFD , the set I did before did not do this and the WBS can get stuck on the sides of the jar. moisture looks fine and I did all per FooMan's tek, not deviating anything so I'm assuming the'yre fine based on his attitude about moisture in the tek. I inoculated the 3 pplates with a MS syringe of Menace - problem is that I could not get a drop to come out and each got a healthy squirt (for agar in comparison) of spores. I will be doing 3 more plates with BHT or Argentina. My Alacabenzie shoebox is looking great! The mycellium is aggressive.

Should I do more Menace plates? I don't want to get overwhelmed.

Pics of everything ASAP today I hope as I will be going away first thing tomorrow morning for the weekend - I'd like to see the progress in after a few days on the shoebox. Planning on inoculating all of these jars and plates but we've got a lot to do today lol

Hope all is well everyone.

InvisiblemushboyMDiscord
modboy
 User Gallery

Loc: where?
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
    #24738651 - 10/26/17 09:20 AM (6 years, 5 months ago)

keep your plate count low at first. too many cultures at once can be a little overwhelming.

just personal experience/preference but you could pay me to add heat to wbs prep. try soaking it instead. ..maybe you did before? i dunno. cant remember

:bongload:

Offlinewaxbrain
That Fun Guy
I'm a teapot

Re: Another Grow/Agar experiment - i'll get it eventually.. [Re: mushboy]
    #24738737 - 10/26/17 10:15 AM (6 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

mushboy said:
keep your plate count low at first. too many cultures at once can be a little overwhelming.

just personal experience/preference but you could pay me to add heat to wbs prep. try soaking it instead. ..maybe you did before? i dunno. cant remember

:bongload:

No I havent - this is my first time working with WBS, ill look for the tek now. If you see this shoot me what you use.

InvisiblemushboyMDiscord
modboy
 User Gallery

Loc: where?
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
    #24738758 - 10/26/17 10:28 AM (6 years, 5 months ago)

Offlinewaxbrain
That Fun Guy
I'm a teapot

Re: Another Grow/Agar experiment - i'll get it eventually.. [Re: mushboy]
    #24738778 - 10/26/17 10:39 AM (6 years, 5 months ago)

thanks mushboy! next round of jars Ill use this.

Offlinewaxbrain
That Fun Guy
I'm a teapot

#24747296 - 10/30/17 09:57 AM (6 years, 4 months ago)

just adding this to my log, i figured it would get more attention in shoebox thread

Am I getting knots before full colonization? I'm quite concerned.. especially with how the bottom looks. It may be slightly better than the pic shows it to be. These were taken yesterday around noon I believe. I didnt see the knots grow or anything - again... on the sides.. I tried SO hard to evenly spread this one out. But needless to say I'm thinking bacteria even though it does look good.. anyone? :shrug: sorry for any blurry pics, i really fucked up my wrist this weekend

Shoebox was approximately a week - 10 days or so.. i could be off by a couple days. Agar has been about five - I really messed up with my ms syringe as I could not get drops to come out.. just small squirts so my plates look like theres growth in many different areas. Will try to provide pics, just hard to see.

Edited by waxbrain (10/30/17 10:06 AM)

Offlinewaxbrain
That Fun Guy
I'm a teapot

#24750493 - 10/31/17 06:38 PM (6 years, 4 months ago)

7 left to inoculate today

Edited by waxbrain (11/01/17 08:27 AM)

Offlinewaxbrain
That Fun Guy
I'm a teapot

#24751555 - 11/01/17 08:26 AM (6 years, 4 months ago)

Hows the moisture content look to you? I know the box looks all around strange but its fruiting and I want to get the most out of it. Any misting?

On another note, all three of my plates got a red contam overnight, literally. I'm new to agar so I don't know if I can still transfer from them today or if I should chuck them because of that heavy red mold?

Thanks!

Offlinewaxbrain
That Fun Guy
I'm a teapot

#24751778 - 11/01/17 10:23 AM (6 years, 4 months ago)

The pins dont look very happy do they :whiteflag:

I know its a fluke grow but maybe if I keep 'em misted ill be able to get a flush. There are a lot of knots but the substrate is not healthy.

Offlinewaxbrain
That Fun Guy
I'm a teapot

#24752355 - 11/01/17 02:08 PM (6 years, 4 months ago)

Pins perking up! Substrate still doesn't look quite good, smells good though. I sprayed a small amount, if anyone thinks more spraying will do me good let me know! About to draw up some LC and knock up 7 more big quarts of WBS. Keeping everything the same strain so I can pick and choose.

Next 20 will be knocked up with GT only or an attempt at G2G from a pasty plate from my Menace MS syringe. Is there any other way I can take a clean wedge and use it to knock up multiple jars other than G2G? I'm just being cautious during new teks/parts of cultivation. It just feels like opening up spawn jars w/o a flowhood seems so sketchy but I know everyone does it.

Offlinewaxbrain
That Fun Guy
I'm a teapot

#24754086 - 11/02/17 09:58 AM (6 years, 4 months ago)

looking and smelling better than I thought. I know theres something fishy going on though. If this picture is shaky its because my phone died as I was taking it this morning lol.

Got lazy yesterday, innoculating the 7 WBS quarts I have left for a total of 18. I need some good spawn, wish me and my jars luck! 2/3 days later i already see colonization on top of almost all 9 jars inoculated.

Agar's ready to go too.

Edited by waxbrain (11/02/17 10:57 AM)

Offlinewaxbrain
That Fun Guy
I'm a teapot

#24756451 - 11/03/17 08:32 AM (6 years, 4 months ago)

Status of shoebox substrate this morning (taken after a mist):

Any improvements need? more fae, less misting? I was using poly fill but i switched to micropore tek for the monotub top holes. They seem to be a bit more streched out than the same culture in a monotub.

Knocked up WBS jars:

Wish me luck! Hope everyone is having an awesome Friday, enjoy your weekend! :hug:

Offlinewaxbrain
That Fun Guy
I'm a teapot

#24757530 - 11/03/17 05:33 PM (6 years, 4 months ago)

Just did my first agar transfer. By the way it looked it looked like I was isolating white mold but I will keep updated. Made 2 plates from each to start.

Offlinewaxbrain
That Fun Guy
I'm a teapot

#24759467 - 11/04/17 02:45 PM (6 years, 4 months ago)

Just a shot of the shoebox that looked uncolonized. Mushrooms will not be much weight but they're pretty. I have on that has mycelium on the cap lol, I wanna double shroom. Took 3 plates and took two transfers from each.

Already seeing WBS getting growth so :thumbup:

Enjoying weekend?

Offlinewaxbrain
That Fun Guy
I'm a teapot

#24761670 - 11/05/17 01:28 PM (6 years, 4 months ago)

The progression over the past 24 hours or whatever has been astonishing. They're small as it was only a quart of spawn to 3 quarts sub in a 6qt shoebox. As mentioned before, the box was not fully colonized & I have not lifted the box to check for bacteria/contam but it looks pretty healthy - hoping for a big second flush or more until its taken over. Got 16 jars with growth beginning, all prepped myself and hoping for the best (LC from friend). I've been doing the best i can with spraying as my monotub is obviously not dialed in (it drys out too much). SUPER psyched about the spawn though.

But, :popcorn: any guesses for wet weight if I let them go all day possibly through the night if i chop some of the mature caps? I could try to take prints but I want to make sure Im doing everything right so I may wait for my near future monotubs - if anyone would really like a print let me know.

Weird octopus clusters haha, gonna be hard to get to without damaging the pins on top.

Started agar finally for myself, transferred the 3 into 6 p-plates (Menace variety). will transfer a few times before taking a wedge - will update as growth starts, one looks like its going to really perform well. G2G is making me nervous but I guess its the next step after getting a good plate. if someones got another idea let me know :rolleyes:

Would you let this just go or chop as mature? I usually do the latter but i feel like just letting them beef up the smaller mushies without damaging them.

Offlinewaxbrain
That Fun Guy
I'm a teapot

#24763319 - 11/06/17 08:37 AM (6 years, 4 months ago)

couldn't really take any more pics this morning as I was in a rush. I got some NICE clusters though. Heavy mist this morning in attempt to get a second flush. the substrate looks okay and may have another in it :thumbup: and trying something a little different with the top holes. keeping the ultra packed polyfil though haha.

All 16 jars looking good. (thought there were 18 but its 16) some overfilled some under filled - we'll see where it takes us.

Offlinewaxbrain
That Fun Guy
I'm a teapot

#24764485 - 11/06/17 05:07 PM (6 years, 4 months ago)

Drying harvest from above shoebox:
Sub afterwards: (ran out of space so I couldn't get another angle.. supporter time..)

Will give dry for the above - no time for wet. Sub doesn't look great but I didn't see any contamination:

Agar progress after one transfer (first try) I guess plate 1-5 but they aren't marked, will do.:

(The one on the left in the third picture is the same as the right pic in the second. One plate turned to complete bacteria)

16 spawn jars taking off (as I said half have too much half have too little):

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck