Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Mushroom-Hut Grow Bags   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Invisiblestareatclouds
star eat clouds?
 Unread Journal User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Is My Lion's Mane Bacterial?
    #24730164 - 10/22/17 07:16 PM (6 years, 5 months ago)

Hi all,

So I had what appeared to be no growth for like 15 days (including a shake in between) and then walked in to see this.

My research indicates that LM myc is super wispy and appears uncolonized even though it's 100% and then bam! in-vitro pinning and such.

Before this, I could see like a very, very thin bit of what I assumed was LM myc, but wasn't sure. I almost tossed the jars out. And now it looks like it's trying to fruit.

These pics look similar to in-vitro pinning pics I've seen before, but others suggested it might be bacterial. I'm spawning them to bags tomorrow when the pellets cool, but would love some opinions on these.

Thanks!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineOHSnap
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Is My Lion's Mane Bacterial? [Re: stareatclouds]
    #24730249 - 10/22/17 07:40 PM (6 years, 5 months ago)

Sorry, I dont have an answer for you but I just started lions mane for the first time last weekend and am having almost the same results as you. I inoculated rye with a syringe LC that I obtained online and I havent seen any growth yet at all. I shook them yesterday (7 days in) and am hoping something happens soon. Like you, I was thinking that the syringe might have been bad. Hopefully I see something in the next week or two!

Invisiblestareatclouds
star eat clouds?

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Is My Lion's Mane Bacterial? [Re: OHSnap]
    #24730257 - 10/22/17 07:43 PM (6 years, 5 months ago)

Yeah, I would leave it alone for a bit after that shake. I also shook in between just in case it was colonizing without me noticing. The myc is very thin and hard to spot.

OfflineDigitalRhizae
Stranger
 User Gallery

#24732665 - 10/23/17 08:12 PM (6 years, 5 months ago)

From the picture those don't look like they have a bacterial contamination to me. Give them a smell when you go to spawn them, you'll be able to tell if it has bacteria or not. If the jars have been colonizing for about 20-30 days they are likely 100% colonized.

Lion Manes can be tricky. Like you said, it's hard to see, then all of a sudden it's fruiting invirto or looks over colonized. This seems to be more prevalent on grains as opposed to sawdust from my experience. It seems that on sawdust the mycelium tends to thicken up more before 100% colonization, where as on grain it can be 100% but still not be very noticeable. I think this is because it's more difficult for the mycelium to digest the sawdust compared to the grains.

Here are some early pictures of a cloned piece of Hericium tissue on grain I did a little while ago. I let it go for about 20 days, shaking around the 10th day and it started to show sings of fruiting so I put it in the fridge. The two pictures are about 5 days apart.

Unfortunately I don't have pictures of them currently, but I can try to take some when I'm home. I also have old grain jars that are over colonized and look more like what a fully colonized sawdust substrate would look like, if you're interested to see the difference. I've actually been meaning to make a thread asking the community how to better tell when grain is 100% and why there seems to be such a drastic difference with this species.

Hope this helps.

OfflineHaywire
Wetspot Wizard
Male

Re: Is My Lion's Mane Bacterial? [Re: DigitalRhizae]
    #24733084 - 10/24/17 12:33 AM (6 years, 5 months ago)

If you want to be sure,  you can spawn some grains on a petridish.
the dish will tell and then you can take that information to other grows.

--------------------
Ciao mamma, guarda come mi diverto

My grows :mushroom2: Outdoor patches

Invisiblegizmo1
Other User Gallery

Loc: FREEDOM Flag
Re: Is My Lion's Mane Bacterial? [Re: Haywire]
    #24735563 - 10/25/17 01:16 AM (6 years, 5 months ago)

Mine looked thin and whispy barely visable mycelium then when its 100 starts fruiting in vitro and looking like your jars. Its probably clean man.
I usually like to do what Haywire said when I g2g I throw a couple grains on some agar, label it with type and g2g check then I store it with the colonizing jars instead of with the rest of my no pours/petris.

Offlinekrypto2000
Unknown

Re: Is My Lion's Mane Bacterial? [Re: gizmo1]
    #24736241 - 10/25/17 10:37 AM (6 years, 5 months ago)

I always have trouble with lions mane fruiting early, doesn't matter if it's on a petri, in a jar of grain, or spawned to wood, it just fruits whenever it seems to feel like it. Pretty frustrating. I'm trying to start a grow now from a petri yet the wedge in the petri just started fruiting despite only being about the size of a quarter so it's hard to take wedges from as that's basically 2-3 small wedges worth. :shrug:

Invisiblestareatclouds
star eat clouds?

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Is My Lion's Mane Bacterial? [Re: krypto2000]
    #24737217 - 10/25/17 05:39 PM (6 years, 5 months ago)

Thanks for the confidence boost, guys. I went ahead and spawned all 4 jars to unsupplemented fuel pellets. I didn't want to chance G2Ging bacterial spawn, especially since I have 2 60cc syringes of the same inoculant anyway. Excited to see my first LM fruits!

Invisiblelipa

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Is My Lion's Mane Bacterial? [Re: stareatclouds] * 1
    #24737928 - 10/25/17 10:05 PM (6 years, 5 months ago)

Bacteria will make the grains look greasy and smell putrid. If the will not colonize the whole grain and fill in later it is most likely bacteria.

Lions mane seems to like growing in very cold environments before spawning out. We have found that once the lions mane is almost colonized placing the bags in the fridge at 40F for one week before spawning gives us a super fast run in our substrate bags. Seems to work every time.

OfflineQuadman
Challenged
Male User Gallery

Loc: IL Flag
Re: Is My Lion's Mane Bacterial? [Re: lipa]
    #24737945 - 10/25/17 10:12 PM (6 years, 5 months ago)

Thank you for your wisdom. That is a great tip to try.

--------------------

Offlinekrypto2000
Unknown

Re: Is My Lion's Mane Bacterial? [Re: lipa]
    #24738552 - 10/26/17 08:28 AM (6 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

lipa said:
Bacteria will make the grains look greasy and smell putrid. If the will not colonize the whole grain and fill in later it is most likely bacteria.

Lions mane seems to like growing in very cold environments before spawning out. We have found that once the lions mane is almost colonized placing the bags in the fridge at 40F for one week before spawning gives us a super fast run in our substrate bags. Seems to work every time.

Can you elaborate on that? I'm not understanding exactly when to place them in the cold, is it a fruiting trigger? You say once it's almost fully colonized which makes me think fruiting trigger but then you say it runs very quickly after that which sounds makes me think spawn run/mycilial expansion.

Invisiblelipa

Trusted Cultivator
    #24739680 - 10/26/17 06:17 PM (6 years, 4 months ago)

There is no fruiting "trigger" for lions mane. They will fruit once they have enough energy reserved to do so.  What I was stating is that if you throw the bags in the fridge and let them grow for a week after the mycelium spreads through the grain they tend to run faster when you spawn that grain to new substrate bags. Maybe it is a seasonal expression of the species once a cold winter is complete.

InvisibleLemurLemur
Pray for Boog
 User Gallery

Loc: Drinking on the roof Flag
    #24742307 - 10/27/17 09:36 PM (6 years, 4 months ago)

Haha i have a plate were i tested my lc an every spot were myc landed is little fruits:lol:

I spawned to a bag an squeeze all the air out an kept it in the dark, its colonizing well with no early fruits.

--------------------
(when my data is fast play Lemur in chess at chess.com)[ [gradient:#D40B29,#18C418]Any1 expecting a trade from me i havent forgot about you pinky promise, i fr promise shits just shit rt now[/gradient]

Invisiblestareatclouds
star eat clouds?

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Is My Lion's Mane Bacterial? [Re: LemurLemur]
    #24746314 - 10/29/17 07:50 PM (6 years, 4 months ago)

Hi lipa,

Thanks for the contribution. The myc didn't small bad at all. I spawned my quart jars to standard HWFP via your tek (which I used successfully before with Reishi).

I have 4 more jars going and I'll toss 2 of them in the fridge for a week before spawning and see if they outperform the non-cold treated ones.

Invisiblestareatclouds
star eat clouds?

Trusted Cultivator
    #24756067 - 11/03/17 12:45 AM (6 years, 4 months ago)

Put 1 quart each into unsupplemented fuel pellets on 10/27. Should I put these in fruiting conditions already? Or should I have not included the plenum of air? It's worrying me that they're already trying to fruit this fast. Is that normal or a sign of bacteria?

Offlinekrypto2000
Unknown

#24756519 - 11/03/17 09:18 AM (6 years, 4 months ago)

I would let it fully colonize. As someone else mentioned lions mane fruits early. It seems to colonize the substrate/spawn to a point where it has enough energy to fruit and then does so. It's still expanding while it does that, just a survival strategy I guess.

Invisiblestareatclouds
star eat clouds?

Trusted Cultivator
    #24756588 - 11/03/17 10:04 AM (6 years, 4 months ago)

I thought fruiting meant 100% or at least "ready" like you don't need to hit 100%.

Offlinekrypto2000
Unknown

#24756600 - 11/03/17 10:11 AM (6 years, 4 months ago)

Generally it does, but not always, especially not with lions mane. Most mushrooms expand to colonize their food supply before fruiting, thus if it's fruiting it's a sign to you that it's ready to be put into fruiting conditions. Lions mane doesn't follow that rule though so if you were to put it into fruiting conditions now with a lot of uncolonized substrate you risk contamination.

Invisiblestareatclouds
star eat clouds?

Trusted Cultivator
    #24756631 - 11/03/17 10:24 AM (6 years, 4 months ago)

Interesting. I can't really tell when LM is 100% colonized yet, although my eyes are getting a bit better. I've heard from people that sometimes you just count the days and bank on that. I'll probably let it go another 12 days or something.

Is it standard to leave that plenum of air in the top? Or do people fold it down for colonization as well? Just kinda seems like it's promoting fruiting.

Offlinekrypto2000
Unknown

#24756663 - 11/03/17 10:45 AM (6 years, 4 months ago)

Idk. I just started using spawn bags. Mine have plenums and I think they're unavoidable actually given that they output CO2. I'm currently growing some LM too so we'll see how that goes, it's only my 2nd time doing so and the first was jist in the jar iirc so maybe I can get some advice following this thread.

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Mushroom-Hut Grow Bags   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale