Home | Community | Message Board

Azarius
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Pressure Cooker, Scales

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlineblind_guardian
shroom-head
Loc: Vernon, BC
Crock Pot instead of pressure cooker?
    #2472884 - 03/25/04 02:07 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

Would a crock pot such as thus do the same job as a pressure cooker in the sterilization of culture jars?

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Invisiblesci33
AmbitiousScientist
Re: Crock Pot instead of pressure cooker? [Re: blind_guardian]
    #2472903 - 03/25/04 02:14 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

No, it will not reach 15 psi for proper sterilization of grains and other substrates, although it can be used for pasteurization :smile: .

--------------------
Looking for:
Ps. weilii, Ps. samuiensis, Ps. hispanica, Pan. cyanescens (any strain I don't have)

Have:
Ps. cubensis, Ps. tampanensis, Pan. cyanescens (Australian, Tai-KS, Hawaiian, Jamaican, Ban Lipa Noi)

PM for a trade.

Offlinemockeylock
head
 User Gallery

#2473553 - 03/25/04 05:42 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

Won't even get close to hot enough to sterilize....anyone care to tell me the temps on the low and high settings for pasteurization? I'll check it out otherwise...

--------------------

OfflineTheDrugStore
Shroomer

Loc: Hawaii Flag
    #2473629 - 03/25/04 05:56 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

This is not exacly the thread to be asking this question.

--------------------
Penalties against drug use should not be more damaging to an individual than the use of the drug itself. Nowhere is this more clear than in the laws against the possession of marijuana and mushrooms in private for personal use.

Invisiblesci33
AmbitiousScientist
Re: Crock Pot instead of pressure cooker? [Re: mockeylock]
    #2474342 - 03/25/04 09:25 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

mockeylock said:
Won't even get close to hot enough to sterilize....anyone care to tell me the temps on the low and high settings for pasteurization?  I'll check it out otherwise...

On my slow cooker there are three settings; Keep Warm, Low, and High.

Each uses a different amount of wattage for the heating element.  I'm not sure what the scenario is for yours, but I read the manual from mine as well as called technical support from Hamilton Beach (the manufacturer of mine) and got the following information.  I also got a thermometer and figured it out for mine.  Both the low and high settings will take the water up to 200 degrees F, although the high setting will do it quicker (about 30 minutes to an hour for mine).  The keep warm setting will take mine to 170 degrees F.  What I usually do is put it on the high setting to get the temperature up quickly, and using a meat thermometer, once the temperature is around 160-170 degrees F, I switch it back to Keep Warm which keeps it there.

Ofcourse, this is an easy method of pasteurization for a small scale grow.  I can fit about 4 quart jars at a time in my slow cooker.  I mix up substrate in the jars to field capacity, place a filter lid on them, and place them in the water bath of the slow cooker.  On the keep warm setting, I leave them there to pasteurize for about 24 hours :smile: - way more than is needed but I have time.  From there I remove them, allow them to cool, and spawn them with colonized grain from a pint jar.  Once this quart jar is colonized, I use it as super spawn for a larger tray.  This is what works for me, to each his own.

--------------------
Looking for:
Ps. weilii, Ps. samuiensis, Ps. hispanica, Pan. cyanescens (any strain I don't have)

Have:
Ps. cubensis, Ps. tampanensis, Pan. cyanescens (Australian, Tai-KS, Hawaiian, Jamaican, Ban Lipa Noi)

PM for a trade.

OfflineMinimumEfrt2
enthusiast
Re: Crock Pot instead of pressure cooker? [Re: sci33]
    #2474390 - 03/25/04 09:33 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

say you are sterilizing with a regular old boiling pot, would u keep the temperature of the stove as high as it can go??

Invisiblesnatchcakes
Rad Dude

Loc: HellTrack
    #2474884 - 03/25/04 11:39 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

man go to the cultivation forum,and read the FAQs.This is the grow log forum,for people to share pictures.The cultivation forum is for asking grow questions.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Pressure Cooker, Scales

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation