Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds - Original Sensible Seeds
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals, CBD Concentrates   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2  [ show all ]
OfflineTiberjuggaligger
Galaxy Creeper

Loc: USA
Man Who Was Arrested After Cops Mistook Doughnut Glaze For Meth Awarded $37,500
    #24709675 - 10/14/17 01:56 PM (6 years, 5 months ago)

https://amp.insideedition.com/headlines/25995-man-who-was-arrested-after-cops-mistook-doughnut-glaze-for-meth-awarded-37500/amp

A Florida man has received $37,500 after cops arrested him when they mistook doughnut crumbs for meth.

In 2015, Orlando police officers pulled over Daniel Rushing, 65, for speeding out of a 7-11 parking lot after they'd been monitoring it due to several drug complaints.

(Read: Cop Punished After Mistaking 65-Year-old Man's Doughnut Leftovers for Meth http://www.insideedition.com/headlines/21589-cop-punished-after-mistaking-65-year-old-mans-doughnut-leftovers-for-meth)

An officer arrested Rushing when she spotted a "rocky, white substance" on the floorboard of his car, but Rushing insisted to officers that it was not drugs.

"I kept telling them, 'That's glaze from a doughnut,'" Rushing told the Orlando Sentinel. "They tried to say it was crack cocaine at first, then they said, 'No, it's meth, crystal meth.'"

Cpl. Shelby Riggs-Hopkins reportedly administered a series of road-side drug tests, which the officers had not been trained properly to use. Two of them turned up positive for cocaine.

Rushing was strip-searched and spent hours in jail before being released on $2,500 bond, NY Daily News Reported.

When lab tests came back, however, it turned out that Rushing was telling the truth. The crumbs had been glaze from a doughnut.

Riggs-Hopkins resigned a week later after being reprimanded.

Rushing sued the city over the incident and after a settlement, the City of Orlando agreed to pay him $37,500 for the wrongful arrest, reports said.

He told the Orlando Sentinel that he hasn't been able to get a job since his false arrest.

Read: Cop Who Manhandled Nurse and Dragged Her From ER Gets Fired

"I haven't been able to work," Rushing said. "People go online and see that you've been arrested."

Rushing, however, hasn't let the experience taint him, he told the paper that he still goes to Krispy Kreme to get a glazed doughnut every other Wednesday. He just doesn't eat it in the car.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

All this because the pigs were mad he didn't save them a doughnut.:lol:

--------------------

Kirk: What does God need with a starship?
McCoy: Jim, what are you doing?
Kirk: I'm asking a question.
"God": Who is this creature?
Kirk: Who am I? Don't you know? Aren't you God?
Sybok: He has his doubts.
"God": You doubt me?
Kirk: I seek proof.
McCoy: Jim! You don't ask the Almighty for his ID

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisibledurian_2008
Cornucopian Eating an Elephant
 User Gallery

Loc: Raccoon City
Re: Man Who Was Arrested After Cops Mistook Doughnut Glaze For Meth Awarded $37,500 [Re: Tiberjuggaligger]
    #24709684 - 10/14/17 02:01 PM (6 years, 5 months ago)

I would donate a certain amount of the award, for a donut to be named after Orlando's finest.

Offlinemusiclover420
psychonaut
Male User Gallery

Loc: PNW
Re: Man Who Was Arrested After Cops Mistook Doughnut Glaze For Meth Awarded $37,500 [Re: durian_2008]
    #24709763 - 10/14/17 02:31 PM (6 years, 5 months ago)

Seems like he should get more assuming he really can't find work because of this. 40K is a nice chunk but if he can't get a job it will go quickly.

Hopefully incidents like this make cops more hesitant to jump the gun and arrest people.

--------------------
Don't worry about me, I've got all that I need. And I'm singing my song to the sky

You know how it feels, With the breeze of the sun in your eyes. Not minding that time's passing by

I've got all and more, My smile, just as before. Is all that I carry with me

I talk to myself, I need nobody else. I'm lost and I'm mine, yes I'm free

InvisibleprettyMushy
 User Gallery

Loc: Canada
Re: Man Who Was Arrested After Cops Mistook Doughnut Glaze For Meth Awarded $37,500 [Re: musiclover420]
    #24710079 - 10/14/17 04:41 PM (6 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

musiclover420 said:
Seems like he should get more assuming he really can't find work because of this. 40K is a nice chunk but if he can't get a job it will go quickly.

Hopefully incidents like this make cops more hesitant to jump the gun and arrest people.

sad part is it might in the immediate area but i doubt it will effect anyone else =(

--------------------
Anything posted from this account is made up for the entertainment of others, this account is a complete work of fiction. Its not illegal to get bored and make up stories, authors do it all the time.

OfflinePeyote Road
Stranger
Male
Loc: Great Lakes State
Re: Man Who Was Arrested After Cops Mistook Doughnut Glaze For Meth Awarded $37,500 [Re: prettyMushy]
    #24710227 - 10/14/17 06:01 PM (6 years, 5 months ago)

it shouldnt affect his ability to get work. First of all, he has no record since he was not convicted of anything so he must be talking about some local website which I doubt even all employers check and even if they do, he should be able to explain it was a false arrest and he was not convicted of anything.

There are plenty of places that will hire people with real criminal records.

--------------------
The path of the herbalist is to open ourselves to nature in an innocent and pure way. SHe in turn will open her bounty and reward us with many valuable secrets. May the earth bless you. - Michael Tierra

InvisibleprettyMushy
 User Gallery

Re: Man Who Was Arrested After Cops Mistook Doughnut Glaze For Meth Awarded $37,500 [Re: Peyote Road]
    #24710247 - 10/14/17 06:10 PM (6 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Peyote Road said:
it shouldnt affect his ability to get work. First of all, he has no record since he was not convicted of anything so he must be talking about some local website which I doubt even all employers check and even if they do, he should be able to explain it was a false arrest and he was not convicted of anything.

yeah hes full of shit, his lack of work was from lack of seeking, pointless to the article

--------------------
Anything posted from this account is made up for the entertainment of others, this account is a complete work of fiction. Its not illegal to get bored and make up stories, authors do it all the time.

Offlinemusiclover420
psychonaut
Male User Gallery

Loc: PNW
Re: Man Who Was Arrested After Cops Mistook Doughnut Glaze For Meth Awarded $37,500 [Re: prettyMushy]
    #24710277 - 10/14/17 06:25 PM (6 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

prettyMushy said:
Quote:

Peyote Road said:

yeah hes full of shit, his lack of work was from lack of seeking, pointless to the article

You don't think having an arrest on record would effect your chances of landing a job?

Especially if said arrest is for meth possession, not sure if employers would know why he was arrested but that would definitely look bad.

--------------------
Don't worry about me, I've got all that I need. And I'm singing my song to the sky

You know how it feels, With the breeze of the sun in your eyes. Not minding that time's passing by

I've got all and more, My smile, just as before. Is all that I carry with me

I talk to myself, I need nobody else. I'm lost and I'm mine, yes I'm free

OfflineTiberjuggaligger
Galaxy Creeper

Re: Man Who Was Arrested After Cops Mistook Doughnut Glaze For Meth Awarded $37,500 [Re: musiclover420] * 1
    #24710404 - 10/14/17 07:52 PM (6 years, 5 months ago)

Perhaps he has a special license of some sort, in a safety sensitive business like trucking and he has to undergo rigorous background checks as truckers do. Then even tho he was cleared of the charges, the arrest will still show and could hinder his employment opportunities.

--------------------

Edited by Tiberjuggaligger (10/14/17 07:53 PM)

InvisibleprettyMushy
 User Gallery

Re: Man Who Was Arrested After Cops Mistook Doughnut Glaze For Meth Awarded $37,500 [Re: musiclover420]
    #24710496 - 10/14/17 08:36 PM (6 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

musiclover420 said:
Quote:

prettyMushy said:
Quote:

Peyote Road said:

You don't think having an arrest on record would effect your chances of landing a job?

Especially if said arrest is for meth possession, not sure if employers would know why he was arrested but that would definitely look bad.

you should see my record, you would shit your pants with the 5 felonies and gun charges i have.

doesn't stop me from making over 200k a year.

--------------------

Edited by prettyMushy (10/14/17 08:37 PM)

OfflineTiberjuggaligger
Galaxy Creeper

#24710677 - 10/14/17 09:50 PM (6 years, 5 months ago)

you should see my record, you would shit your pants with the 5 felonies and gun charges i have.

In certain industries, your record could stop you.

--------------------

InvisibleNothingsChanged
Striving for Excellence
Male User Gallery

Loc: North/Western WA Flag
    #24710895 - 10/14/17 11:30 PM (6 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

prettyMushy said:
Quote:

musiclover420 said:
Quote:

prettyMushy said:
Quote:

Peyote Road said:

:whathesaid:

Sure it would prevent some positions. But there's plenty more out there.
    I have a worse record than above, with meth,guns and assault charges. Let your abilities and attitude be your resume. I work for a company that has me in side all sorts of places including the local dea.fbi.social security.city hall,banks,ect... often times after hours. Plus they called me. They can't bring us down. Networking with a good attitude and respect opens many doors.

I do get it though, some places won't hire. fuck them.

--------------------

OfflineLightRay
Lord Hubert
 User Gallery

Re: Man Who Was Arrested After Cops Mistook Doughnut Glaze For Meth Awarded $37,500 [Re: Tiberjuggaligger]
    #24710903 - 10/14/17 11:35 PM (6 years, 5 months ago)

Theres a news story every other week about some convicted pedophile working near kids or whatever.  Having a record really makes no difference to how good you are at getting hired.

I've never had an issue despite the record.  Its really down to how well you connect and present yourself to the interviewer.  If you do that well then its just a numbers game.  I am living proof of that.  Ha dmore jobs than you've had hot dinners.

I'm just very good at interviews and very good at getting hired but this allows me the luxury of just quitting a job if I don't like it and moving onto the next cuz I can always get a new one within a couple of months.

InvisibleprettyMushy
 User Gallery

Re: Man Who Was Arrested After Cops Mistook Doughnut Glaze For Meth Awarded $37,500 [Re: NothingsChanged]
    #24710921 - 10/14/17 11:48 PM (6 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

NothingsChanged said:
Networking with a good attitude and respect opens many doors.

I do get it though, some places won't hire. fuck them.

this! show respect, be polite, do your job.

--------------------

OfflineDoc9151M
Mycologist
Male User Gallery

Loc: Gulf Coast USA Flag
    #24710930 - 10/14/17 11:57 PM (6 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

prettyMushy said:
Quote:

musiclover420 said:
Quote:

prettyMushy said:
Quote:

Peyote Road said:

Selling dope doesn't count. J/k

--------------------

Psilocybe cubensis data collection thread. please help with this project if you hunt wild cubensis.
https://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=26513593&page=0&vc=1#26513593

InvisibleprettyMushy
 User Gallery

Re: Man Who Was Arrested After Cops Mistook Doughnut Glaze For Meth Awarded $37,500 [Re: Doc9151]
    #24710940 - 10/15/17 12:08 AM (6 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Doc9151 said:

Selling dope doesn't count. J/k

haha actually i own a couple retail stores & work as a consultant for a few businesses

its normal for the stores to do $800-1000 a day

--------------------

OfflineNature Boy
Stranger than most
Male User Gallery

Loc: Samsara
    #24711137 - 10/15/17 05:13 AM (6 years, 5 months ago)

I remember when the original report of his arrest was featured in the news section of this board, and it made my blood boil.  Seems like a long time to wait to be exonerated, but...glad he got something for the false arrest.  Personally, I'd like to have seen him awarded a helluva lot more than $37,500...more like $337,500...maybe more depending on his lost income.

N.B.

--------------------
All submitted posts under this user name are works of pure fiction or outright lies.  Any information, statement, or assertion contained therein should be considered pure unadulterated bullshit.  Note well:  Sorry, but I do not answer PM's unless you are a long-time trusted friend.  If you have a question, ask it in the appropriate thread.

InvisibleOgla
 User Gallery

Re: Man Who Was Arrested After Cops Mistook Doughnut Glaze For Meth Awarded $37,500 [Re: Nature Boy]
    #24713364 - 10/16/17 02:34 AM (6 years, 5 months ago)

he could probably get that expunged now

InvisibleCookieCrumbsM
Fucked off to the pub
Female User Gallery

Re: Man Who Was Arrested After Cops Mistook Doughnut Glaze For Meth Awarded $37,500 [Re: Ogla]
    #24714014 - 10/16/17 12:06 PM (6 years, 5 months ago)

Well the real issue is probably that he's 65 with an arrest record.

It doesn't matter he wasn't convicted. He's still a man at retirement age that was arrested for drugs.

40k is about a year's pay here though :ohwell: I bet it should probably be a little higher in Orlando but I imagine that is living money. This is the city government afterall and they have to budget these things. The courts fall under that budget. If it were a lawsuit with a private party it probably would have been more.

--------------------
          :dancingbear: Free time is the only time :dancingbear:                    :thatsinteresting:

Invisibledurian_2008
 User Gallery

Re: Man Who Was Arrested After Cops Mistook Doughnut Glaze For Meth Awarded $37,500 [Re: durian_2008]
    #24714092 - 10/16/17 12:37 PM (6 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

In 2015, Orlando police officers pulled over Daniel Rushing

Quote:

durian_2008 said:
I would donate a certain amount of the award, for a donut to be named after Orlando's finest.

Actually, it is sprinkled with with safe, edible, wholesome, white, rock candy, and named after Rushing. Give them a free donut, invoking the name of the victim. So good, they're addictive.

InvisibleStonehenge
Alt Center
Male User Gallery

Loc: S.E.
Re: Man Who Was Arrested After Cops Mistook Doughnut Glaze For Meth Awarded $37,500 [Re: CookieCrumbs] * 1
    #24714105 - 10/16/17 12:42 PM (6 years, 5 months ago)

He can get the arrest itself expunged. The sad thing is that the lawyer probably got a big chunk of the money

--------------------
“A democracy cannot exist as a permanent form of government. It can only exist until the voters discover that they can vote themselves largesse from the public treasury. From that moment on, the majority always votes for the candidates promising the most benefits from the public treasury with the result that a democracy always collapses over loose fiscal policy, always followed by a dictatorship.” (attributed to Alexis de Tocqueville political philosopher Circa 1835)

Trade list http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/18047755

OfflineDoc9151M
Mycologist
Male User Gallery

Re: Man Who Was Arrested After Cops Mistook Doughnut Glaze For Meth Awarded $37,500 [Re: Stonehenge] * 2
    #24714254 - 10/16/17 01:45 PM (6 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Stonehenge said:
He can get the arrest itself expunged. The sad thing is that the lawyer probably got a big chunk of the money

Yep, they are crooks too.

--------------------

Psilocybe cubensis data collection thread. please help with this project if you hunt wild cubensis.
https://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=26513593&page=0&vc=1#26513593

Invisibledurian_2008
 User Gallery

Re: Man Who Was Arrested After Cops Mistook Doughnut Glaze For Meth Awarded $37,500 [Re: Doc9151]
    #24714286 - 10/16/17 01:55 PM (6 years, 5 months ago)

Someone claiming to be a civil servant should be under a vow of poverty. It should never even occur to us, to ask how they got the money, luxury, or privilege, because they shouldn't have any of those. If this is not it's own reward, then, don't do it.

InvisibleCookieCrumbsM
Fucked off to the pub
Female User Gallery

#24714582 - 10/16/17 03:37 PM (6 years, 5 months ago)

Well maybe we shouldn't have built a society that provides exclusively monetary rewards to motivate people...

--------------------
          :dancingbear: Free time is the only time :dancingbear:                    :thatsinteresting:

InvisibleOgla
 User Gallery

Re: Man Who Was Arrested After Cops Mistook Doughnut Glaze For Meth Awarded $37,500 [Re: CookieCrumbs]
    #24715262 - 10/16/17 08:12 PM (6 years, 5 months ago)

its a well known fact that donut glaze gives false positives on reagent test.  Cops shouldve known this

OfflineDamageCore
Stranger

#24715347 - 10/16/17 08:48 PM (6 years, 5 months ago)

Of course its Florida lol

InvisibleCookieCrumbsM
Fucked off to the pub
Female User Gallery

Re: Man Who Was Arrested After Cops Mistook Doughnut Glaze For Meth Awarded $37,500 [Re: DamageCore]
    #24716486 - 10/17/17 11:36 AM (6 years, 5 months ago)

Yeah I've heard Florida is pretty bad about drugs and snakes :feelsbadman:

--------------------

OfflineDoc9151M
Mycologist
Male User Gallery

Re: Man Who Was Arrested After Cops Mistook Doughnut Glaze For Meth Awarded $37,500 [Re: CookieCrumbs]
    #24717184 - 10/17/17 03:54 PM (6 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

CookieCrumbs said:
Yeah I've heard Florida is pretty bad about drugs and snakes :feelsbadman:

Florida is not a drug friendly state, the panhandle is worse than the peninsula. The panhandle is still a refuge for redneck, closed minded, hypocrites. Those in charge here still have a reefer madness mind set.

That's why AG Jeff Sessions is so popular here. He's part of the deeply embedded good ol'boy system that uses draconian drug laws to invade people's homes and steal their property.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals, CBD Concentrates   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures