Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Feminized Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineOranguTrump
Marginally Effective
I'm a teapot User Gallery

Loc: Canada Flag
Magic Mushroom Chemical Appears to Physically Change Depressed Brains
    #24708333 - 10/13/17 11:03 PM (6 years, 5 months ago)

Interesting little article about how our brains are changed (for the better) by magic mushies

https://gizmodo.com/magic-mushroom-chemical-appears-to-physically-change-de-1819447096

"Magic mushrooms are a strange drug. They’re one part illegal music festival enhancer, one part promising treatment that could have important medical applications. That second use continues to look more and more promising.

A new study from researchers in the United Kingdom and South Africa monitored the brains of folks trying psilocybin, the magic mushroom chemical, for depression that wasn’t kicked by the usual treatments. The psychedelic not only reduced the symptoms of depression, but seemed to have a noticeable physical effect.

Namely, they found changes in certain kinds of blood flow and brain activity. “Decreased blood flow was found to correlate (in the amygdala) with reductions in depressive mood,” they write in the study, published today in the journal Scientific Reports.

The study followed 15 male and four female depressed patients (which ultimately became 12 and then 11 male patients) receiving two doses of the drug over two weeks, who were then monitored for five weeks after. All of the patients had fewer symptoms of depression in the first week, and around half showed improvement at five weeks.

Each patient then received brain scans which revealed a decrease in cerebral blood flow and a decrease in brain activity in some areas, like the amygdala. Scientists have previously associated this area’s activity with fear and anxiety, among other emotional responses.

The paper points out that this is a tiny study with no control, and the researchers reminded New Scientist that you shouldn’t try to self-medicate with psychedelics. But it’s also promising. “This is further evidence that psilocybin may turn out to be effective for the most stubborn depression,” Paul Morrison from King’s College London told them.

The study adds further evidence to past research from the team, demonstrating psilocybin as a potentially useful treatment for depression, as well as the effects of other drugs on MDMA.

Obviously this is new research that is far, far away from something that would ever be regulated by the Food and Drug Administration. But you can always dream. Or trip, I guess."

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41598-017-13282-7

--------------------
Ordained minister in The Church Of The Flying Spaghetti Monster

dave's not here

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlineinternal traveler
Male User Gallery

Re: Magic Mushroom Chemical Appears to Physically Change Depressed Brains [Re: OranguTrump]
    #24708556 - 10/14/17 02:42 AM (6 years, 5 months ago)

I'm not depressed by any means. But if I dose regularly I find myself to be even more happy and optimistic than usual. Keep in mind, by regularly I mean once a week max

--------------------
http://www.mushroomvideos.com/

OfflinePrimalSoup
hyperspatial illuminations
Other User Gallery

Loc: PNW Flag
Re: Magic Mushroom Chemical Appears to Physically Change Depressed Brains [Re: internal traveler]
    #24708731 - 10/14/17 06:39 AM (6 years, 5 months ago)

This is a new study but it's not news. :scaryshroom::thumbup:  Thanks for posting.

:aliceshocker:
Quote:

They’re one part illegal music festival enhancer, one part promising treatment that could have important medical applications.

--------------------

if you stand too close to the machine it'll start to eat you
Primal's simple tested teks and projects: :awesomenod: Wheat Prep 2.0  Acidic Tea Tek  Potency Project! 

Offlinetravishibachi
Stranger

Re: Magic Mushroom Chemical Appears to Physically Change Depressed Brains [Re: PrimalSoup]
    #24708819 - 10/14/17 07:49 AM (6 years, 5 months ago)

Mushrooms legitimately re-wire the connections in your brain which is why they're so good for treating addiction and mood disorders. There's a cool picture(I think it's an MRI) that shows a brain before consuming mushrooms and then after and the difference is significant. It turns off the parts of the brain that are causing problems and heightens activity in other areas. Literal physiological improvement. Craziness.

InvisibleSnazz
Polymath
Male User Gallery

Loc: Canada Flag
Re: Magic Mushroom Chemical Appears to Physically Change Depressed Brains [Re: travishibachi]
    #24708938 - 10/14/17 09:17 AM (6 years, 5 months ago)

Check out the documentary 'Neurons to Nirvana'

Offlinetravishibachi
Stranger

Re: Magic Mushroom Chemical Appears to Physically Change Depressed Brains [Re: Snazz]
    #24709012 - 10/14/17 09:59 AM (6 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Snazz said:
Check out the documentary 'Neurons to Nirvana'

I've watched it a few times it's a very good source of info for psychedelics. I also like DMT: The Spirit Molecule. Do you remember the Dennis McKenna quote that goes something like, "Plants are the best [. . .] because they communicate through chemistry?" I'm paraphrasing but I thought that was a really intelligent way to describe why plants are so good at doing what they do.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Feminized Cannabis Seeds