Home | Community | Message Board

Shroom Supply
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Getting Started

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Seeds Store buy cannabis seeds, Buy CBD   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, Perlite, Vermiculite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinebellyrub
Mr. Rub

Everything looked perfect on first grow till...need advice please, update with good news and pic
    #24685539 - 10/05/17 12:16 PM (2 months, 4 days ago)

Looking for advice on my first grow of PE. I did everything correct and had fully colonized cakes in the grow chamber with holes drilled along the bottom. Using the verm/rice flour mason jar on perlite method.

They started to pin and grow small half inch beauties. I had festival tickets and hoped they would be done prior to, but they weren't. I left on a Friday morning and returned on a Sunday evening. I thought it would be a good idea to place a fan aimed towards the bottom holes of the container so the co2 wouldn't build up. When I came home the humidity was at 65%. The small babies had began to dry and shrivel up. I quickly added water to the perlite and the humidity rose back up to 100% by the morning. I picked the little ones and dubbed them as my stupid ass fault aborts. Needless to say 4 days later all pinning progress has came to a pause. The small pins that were there are doing nothing now. I am concerned the substrate is too dry. Can I rehydrate the substrate without doing a dunk/roll? I'm worried I'm going to lose my perfect colonized cakes if I don't do something quickly. Thank you for any and all help. Picture of what I had prior to leaving included.

Edited by bellyrub (10/16/17 06:48 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisiblebodhisattaM
☕ Rocket Surgeon
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Everything looked perfect on first grow till...need advice please [Re: bellyrub]
    #24685612 - 10/05/17 12:50 PM (2 months, 4 days ago)

Follow the directions.
Sgfc is built wrong
Never use a fan with a sgfc
You skipped dunk and rolling the cake
Ideally you would make 10+ cakes a sgfc does better loaded full

Co2 doesn't build up or sink. It mixes with air immediately. It only builds up in sealed containers or ones with small openings.
A sgfc has hundreds of holes in all six sides

Humidity should be 50-80% and fluctuate thru the day in the chamber.
90-99% less than an inch off the surface of the cakes

Which PF tek are you following?

Offlinebellyrub
Mr. Rub

Re: Everything looked perfect on first grow till...need advice please [Re: bodhisatta]
    #24685643 - 10/05/17 01:01 PM (2 months, 4 days ago)

I admit that I'm completely new and followed a ten year old YouTube video. I know this is laughable to most of you but it's how I started and with a little experience it has led me here among many knowledgeable individuals. I was paranoid about leaving and co2 building up so I used the fan aimed at the holes on the bottom from 5 feet away on high. The directions I got off the video didn't say anything about dunk/roll so I didn't do so. Would it be wise to do so now even though i didnt get my first flush? Like I said, everything was going perfect with dozens of pins and 5 minis growing rapidly from pins to the picture in 3 days. I feel like the fan may have dried out the substrate. Or the perlite dried too much from the fan and it pulled the moisture from the cakes.

InvisiblebodhisattaM
☕ Rocket Surgeon
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Everything looked perfect on first grow till...need advice please [Re: bellyrub]
    #24685650 - 10/05/17 01:03 PM (2 months, 4 days ago)

I wouldn't dunk and roll now, just dunk no roll.
Look for ziran's updated pf tek and theres some in the sticky forums at the top.

It looks like theres no holes in the sgfc from the picture
Also the lets grow mushroom pf brf tek is good to watch

Offlineicetech
Mastermasturbator

Loc: FSM's loving noodles.
    #24685891 - 10/05/17 02:37 PM (2 months, 4 days ago)

It's not laughable at all.. i have asked WAY stupider shit... and the only way to learn is to ask :smile: or search...

OfflineSkelsen
Stranger
Re: Everything looked perfect on first grow till...need advice please [Re: icetech]
    #24686471 - 10/05/17 07:06 PM (2 months, 4 days ago)

Good luck bellyrub! I will be sure to watch this to learn :smile:

Offlinebellyrub
Mr. Rub

Re: Everything looked perfect on first grow till...need advice please [Re: Skelsen]
    #24686509 - 10/05/17 07:27 PM (2 months, 4 days ago)

There are 16 total holes about 2 to 3 inches from the bottom, about 1/2 inch to an 1 1/2 inches above the perlite in the sgfc. I have the cakes soaking now in distilled water for 24 hours. Should I pat them dry with a paper towel after I take them out tomorrow? I will be sure to post pictures good or bad after I take them out so we can learn from mistakes.

InvisiblebodhisattaM
☕ Rocket Surgeon
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Cultivator
    #24686704 - 10/05/17 08:57 PM (2 months, 4 days ago)

Quote:

bellyrub said:
There are 16 total holes about 2 to 3 inches from the bottom, about 1/2 inch to an 1 1/2 inches above the perlite in the sgfc. I have the cakes soaking now in distilled water for 24 hours. Should I pat them dry with a paper towel after I take them out tomorrow? I will be sure to post pictures good or bad after I take them out so we can learn from mistakes.

There should be hundreds of holes. In all six sides. Read the tek, fix the chamber

Distilled water is a no no for dunking cakes. Use tap water.

Do not pat them dry. They should be moist.

Offlinebellyrub
Mr. Rub

Re: Everything looked perfect on first grow till...need advice please [Re: bodhisatta]
    #24705286 - 10/12/17 07:30 PM (1 month, 28 days ago)

InvisibleZiranS
The Hero of Time

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Temple of Time
    #24705291 - 10/12/17 07:34 PM (1 month, 28 days ago)

looks bruised and dry. mist most frequently as you didnt use a verm roll, its going to be harder to maintain a glistening surface.

Offlinebellyrub
Mr. Rub

Re: Everything looked perfect on first grow till...need advice please [Re: Ziran]
    #24705436 - 10/12/17 08:33 PM (1 month, 28 days ago)

They are bruised but the bruising seems to be fruiting just fine. The humidity in the terrarium is 100%. If they are growing I'm happy.

Offlinebellyrub
Mr. Rub

#24714721 - 10/16/17 06:46 PM (1 month, 24 days ago)

Let me update ya. Check out these beauties, on my 4 days since original picture. Peni$ envy growing fast. The bruising is standard for this strain. I will keep updating the progress.

InvisiblebodhisattaM
☕ Rocket Surgeon
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Cultivator
    #24714830 - 10/16/17 07:27 PM (1 month, 24 days ago)

Bruising is something that can happen to any psilocybe cubensis. PE is a variety with infinitely many possible strains.

Humidity shouldn't be 100% it should be like 50-80% and fluctuate. 90-99% less than an inch from the surface of the cake as they evaporate off their moisture from you spraying them a couple times a day.

OfflineDrayce
Abstruse Twiddler
 User Gallery

Loc: Gaia
Re: Everything looked perfect on first grow till...need advice please [Re: icetech]
    #24715015 - 10/16/17 08:49 PM (1 month, 24 days ago)

Quote:

icetech said:
It's not laughable at all.. i have asked WAY stupider shit... and the only way to learn is to ask :smile: or search...

...AND... doing it yourself.
Nothing teaches better than first-hand experience.

Offlinebellyrub
Mr. Rub

Re: Everything looked perfect on first grow till...need advice please [Re: Drayce]
    #24715051 - 10/16/17 09:02 PM (1 month, 24 days ago)

I haven't misted them once yet. Just dunked them once after I fucked up. I have one cake not doing much except fully colonated. Gonna try misting it. My other two cakes are producing well so not gonna mist since if it's not broke done fix it. Going forward after I harvest, dunk, roll, should I mist until I see pinning or mist through the whole process?

OfflineNavidson
That Guy
 User Gallery

#24715250 - 10/16/17 10:06 PM (1 month, 24 days ago)

Get off youtube. Anyone can post on there without their bad information being refuted. Download, find posted here, or better yet Buy RR's "Let's Grow Mushrooms". You will not regret it. Great info for beginners. Fix your chamber as well you need to have holes on all sides of the tub two inches apart. Nice salvage on your first grow. Next one when you do it right will be even better!

--------------------
“Passion has little to do with euphoria and everything to do with patience. It is not about feeling good. It is about endurance. Like patience, passion comes from the same Latin root: pati. It does not mean to flow with exuberance. It means to suffer.”
- MZD

Offlinebellyrub
Mr. Rub

Re: Everything looked perfect on first grow till...need advice please [Re: Navidson]
    #24715902 - 10/17/17 08:13 AM (1 month, 24 days ago)

I am no longer using YouTube for direction now that I found this forum. I am taking everyone's advice and will apply it going forward. Once this flush is done I will drill a bunch of holes in the container. Right now I only have 16 and I know it isn't enough. Even though it isn't enough they are growing fine. I agree that I would be having even more success if I used the info on this site first. I am happy to be part of the community and thank everyone that is lending advice and criticism.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: Original Seeds Store buy cannabis seeds, Buy CBD   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, Perlite, Vermiculite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Getting Started