Home | Community | Message Board

Kraken Kratom
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Gourmet and Medicinal Mushrooms

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Seeds Store Buy CBD, Cannabis Seeds, Compare CBD   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Agar, Petri Dish

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinekrypto2000
Unknown

Do you think it's possible I shook a reishi wedge in a qt jar enough to spread everywhere initially?
    #24705199 - 10/12/17 06:36 PM (9 days, 14 hours ago)

It's been about 4 days and this one jar has growth on almost every grain already. It's too early to tell if it's a contamination, but just given how prevalent it is that is what I'm assuming. So far the grains just look slightly duller than they are, you can barely see the mycilium. I'm expecting them to show some green any day now : /.

I don't care about a single jar, but what bothers me is I have no idea what my vector is for it getting in there. My other jars are fine, the agar seemed fine, but even if there's a hitchhiker on the agar there's no way it would have spread so far just from the wedge alone in this time, it's very strange. This is the kind of contamination I would expect from not fully sterilized grain, but it was PC'd for 90min at 17psi, and as I said the other jars are fine. I don't know if I should even use any of them now though you know? Even ones from different cultures/petris, not knowing what you did wrong is the worst cause you have no idea how to not repeat the mistake again or where else you might have made it. :mad:

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleMycolorado
Hobbyist
Male

Loc: Choice City
Re: Do you think it's possible I shook a reishi wedge in a qt jar enough to spread everywhere initially? [Re: krypto2000]
    #24705225 - 10/12/17 06:52 PM (9 days, 13 hours ago)

Keep an eye on them...if it's reishi, it can start out faint/whispy but will eventually lock that shit down hard.  Try some more wedges to grains, but don't shake them this time...let the myc leap off the agar onto the grain and watch it from there.  Typically, jars are shaken around 30% colonization at which point it should be pretty apparent if you have a glaring contam.

--------------------
"Microscopic delights are chiefly to be summoned to one's aid for the exact identification of fungi"
                                BATSCH, El. Fung. vol. I, p. 19.

Helpful Threads
stonesun
Mycolorado’s Tamp Fruit Project
CBK's Proper Surface Conditions
bw86's Jalisco Grow

Invisibleellomello
XP
 User Gallery

Loc: babilonUSA
Re: Do you think it's possible I shook a reishi wedge in a qt jar enough to spread everywhere initially? [Re: Mycolorado]
    #24705295 - 10/12/17 07:35 PM (9 days, 13 hours ago)

kripto i think we did our rieshi grain jars and petri plates on the same day :clementine:

--------------------
PAY NO ATTENTION TO THE MAN BEHIND THE CURTAIN get back to the garden

some came singing, some come to play, some come for keeping the dark away

Offlinekrypto2000
Unknown

Re: Do you think it's possible I shook a reishi wedge in a qt jar enough to spread everywhere initially? [Re: Mycolorado]
    #24705298 - 10/12/17 07:36 PM (9 days, 13 hours ago)

Yeah, that's what I'm hoping is it's just whispy reishi, it does grow pretty quickly too as far as mushrooms go. For that matter I've never had an issue with reishi's getting contaminated due to how quick they grow, if some jars had contaminants they'd be overtaken by the reishi before they had a chance to do much. I normally do not shake the jars after adding the wedges either so I really don't have a baseline to judge by.

Offlinekrypto2000
Unknown

Re: Do you think it's possible I shook a reishi wedge in a qt jar enough to spread everywhere initially? [Re: krypto2000]
    #24707392 - 10/13/17 04:43 PM (8 days, 16 hours ago)

Well to drop an update they pretty much all look like it today and globs of mycilium are starting to form all throughout so it's unlikely to be a contaminant. Reishi is just a beast! These were inoculated with an agar wedge on 10/9 and only 4 days later they are nearly fully colonized, god damn that is fast. Mind you you can still see the surface of just about every grain in there so they're not truly fully colonized but I would not be surprised if they're ready to spawn in another 3-4 days, and no shaking will be required. These were incubated in a non air conditioned room which, until today, was between 80-84F in the daytime so I'm sure that helped.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: Original Seeds Store Buy CBD, Cannabis Seeds, Compare CBD   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Agar, Petri Dish

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Gourmet and Medicinal Mushrooms