Home | Community | Message Board

MRCA Tyroler Gluckspilze
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Grow Bags   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleZiran
The Hero of Time
I'm a teapot User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Temple of Time
Re: Post your MS Luck ! [Re: Citric]
    #24703774 - 10/12/17 12:22 AM (6 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Citric said:
Quote:

Ziran said:
I will say, In my tale of 13 cakes thread, that syringe is one I made in an SAB and i only had 2 jars go south. 11 out of 13 is pretty good imo.

And that ratio right there(No offense coming up) tells me it was not your syringe.  It was your inoculation technique.  If it was the syringe, you'd be batting over .500 contam ratio easily.

What would you recommend doing differently? I know the last pf tek grow I did was 100% no contamns. so its more like a ratio of 27/30 which is 90% success with an MS syringe. (considering I made the last one as well) brf and verm are cheap so losing a jar here and there isnt a big deal. :shrug:

--------------------
Song Of Healing
:super: Updated Pf Tek Guide :super:
Ziran's Teks
AMU Q&A Thread
The Chinese word for nature is zìrán and it means that of which is of itself.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleCitric
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Post your MS Luck ! [Re: natedawgnow] * 1
    #24703836 - 10/12/17 01:46 AM (6 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

natedawgnow said:
Agar isn't an advanced technique at all. Pretty simple actually.

Growing cubes is beyond simple.

Quote:

natedawgnow said:
I guess it's not a requirement but who wants to be
spending money on syringes all the time or making them for that matter? Put one drop on agar and away you go to a
as many grows as you want:shrug:

I guess I see your point though

Sponsors pay to be here for a reason.  Not to be pretty much told half of their product line up is contaminated.  Which, is totally untrue.

One drop on agar, then to grain, then to G2G.. when you can put that initial first drop on grain, and do the same G2G?

I see your point though..

Hey, if you want to waste time testing the validity of syringes or spores on agar.. then goto grain... then G2G or GLC.. go for it.  Me.. I'd rather throw it on a small grain jar and make grain LC and harvest in under a month.

--------------------
Self Healing lid tek ** Update 10.17.17 **
Mini casing pictures: Pins to harvest
Cup O' Shrooms
Magash:  I noticed my contams were in the shape of fingers :whack:
Hyphae:  Yes  "Loss of moisture from the substrate"  is not a casing trigger.  :cuckoo:

My final Grow!

InvisibleLeftfield420
bong toker
Male

Re: Post your MS Luck ! [Re: natedawgnow]
    #24703855 - 10/12/17 02:07 AM (6 years, 5 months ago)

I used 3 ms syringes on my cakes(1st grow) and since then I've just had prints to work with... Didn't have any problems with ms syringes...just haven't bought or made any ms syringes since I started out cultivating...I was told agar was the way to go if I was going to keep with the hobby, and now I don't mind doing the agar work...even if it takes a week or two longer...

Invisibleeatyualive
Eat's You Alive :)
 User Gallery

Loc: In Your Head
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
Re: Post your MS Luck ! [Re: Leftfield420] * 2
    #24703976 - 10/12/17 05:19 AM (6 years, 5 months ago)

This may be blasphemy to say now but I inoculate pf jars open air without sterilizing the tip lol. And I have very little contamination. I was chased around for 3 years by "the best growers on this forum" for that statement. Most of these people talk about growing mushrooms but dont actually grow mushrooms.(you know who you are)

Been doing it that way since 1996 with little contamination. Comparatively, I get the same contam rates with ms syringes that I do with agar. Its really close to 0.  Same thing with grow bags. If someone wants to use them so be it. Dont insult them bc their situation doesn't allow for making their own bulk bags. It helps newbs get a feel for the process.

I have a treasure chest of old vendor syringes from 2009 and older that still germinate and give me clean growth. No contams. Is agar easy? Yes. Do I like it yes. Is ms easy, yes. Do I like it, yes.

Point being is that there are too many fun ways to grow. Narrowing down peoples methods only keeps them stuck in the box. I mean people hardly grow off anything other than coir and verm now. Dung straw is a fun bulk substrate. And there are too many cool substrate recipes to do the same thing over and over. Mix it up, learn something new. Dont limit yourself.

Its like blasphemy to say anything other than CVG. Then you have forum police raiding your thread and insulting you.

This is not the shroomery I once new. :facepalm:

--------------------
EAT GETS SHIT DONE

:flame::chief:JOIN THE POW WOW:chief::flame:

Offlineicetech
 User Gallery

Loc: FSM's loving noodles.
Re: Post your MS Luck ! [Re: cronicr]
    #24704053 - 10/12/17 06:19 AM (6 years, 5 months ago)

Sorry for the newb question, but what media are you colonizing in? 1 looks like popcorn after that i'm lost.. getting ready to do my first jars and was just gonna WBS. Any reason you are using those instead?

Thanks..

P.S. i think this hobby is a fucking addiction.. i made 12 new plates the other night then the next day was like why the fuck did i even make those? i don't need them for a week or so.. then innoc'd 6 more :smile: Agar is so friggin easy it's insane.. 

Quote:

cronicr said:

Wild gymnopilus luteoviridis ms syringe

Psilicybe cyan ms syringe

Psilicybe baeocystis me syringe

Pan cyan ms syringe

Gymnopilus ms

Psilicybe semilanceata me

Pan fimicola ms

Psilicybe cubensis ms

--------------------

InvisibleLeftfield420
bong toker
Male

Re: Post your MS Luck ! [Re: eatyualive]
    #24704168 - 10/12/17 07:36 AM (6 years, 5 months ago)

I don't know why pasteurization intimidates me a lil bit...but eventually I'll learn to work with other substrates..

OfflinecronicrFacebook
 User Gallery

Loc: Van Isle Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Post your MS Luck ! [Re: icetech]
    #24704273 - 10/12/17 08:49 AM (6 years, 5 months ago)

Popcorn wbs rye millet...a mix of sawdust and bran anything that works

--------------------

It doesn't matter what i think of you...all that matters is clean spawn

I'm tired do me a favor

Offlineicetech
 User Gallery

#24704315 - 10/12/17 09:11 AM (6 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

cronicr said:
Popcorn wbs rye millet...a mix of sawdust and bran anything that works

Ah thanks... my first agars are growing and i am not sure on direction at this point for jars or sub in a tub (all dr. suess on that one) was going to go WBS but i see videos or read how you have to pick out certain seeds.. and other saying nope. just use it.. alot of contradictory nfo everywhere.. (willy fucking myco) so just trying to find what's easy, cheap and has a decent sucess rate right now..

--------------------

OfflinecronicrFacebook
 User Gallery

Loc: Van Isle Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #24704325 - 10/12/17 09:18 AM (6 years, 5 months ago)

Willy is kind of an idiot...find a tel on here and go with it it's all stupid easy just a lit of people do things a little different to get the same outcome

--------------------

It doesn't matter what i think of you...all that matters is clean spawn

I'm tired do me a favor

Offlineicetech
 User Gallery

#24704346 - 10/12/17 09:29 AM (6 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

cronicr said:
Willy is kind of an idiot...find a tel on here and go with it it's all stupid easy just a lit of people do things a little different to get the same outcome

I think i do too much research and reading if thats possible.. :smile: will get it figured

--------------------

InvisibleJust_A_Noob
Breathing
Male User Gallery

Loc: PNW
Trusted Cultivator
    #24704408 - 10/12/17 10:04 AM (6 years, 5 months ago)

Some dicks from spore syringe to grain

--------------------

Wearing a mask is bad for my physical, emotional, and spiritual health.
Complying = Consent
Wide Mouth 1/2 Pint No-Pour TEK
TC Teks & Links

Offlinepixelpopper
Crap Artist

Loc: Dreamland
Re: Post your MS Luck ! [Re: Just_A_Noob]
    #24704874 - 10/12/17 01:48 PM (6 years, 5 months ago)

Interesting discussion.

I've been growing via MS syringes since the 90s, never doing any other method of innoc. I just did my first G2G last week.

Up until that, every jar I ever inoculated was MS in open air, often without doing steps like sterilizing the needle in between jars. About 20 years of doing this with both standard BRF cakes and WBS jars of 1 pint and quart sizes. I experienced very little contamination - I rarely lost any jars to contams and really only saw contams appearing after several flushes when the cakes and/or tubs became very weakened.

I came to the conclusion that a lot of standard practices were recommended to newbies in order to combat poor understanding of how to work properly, because I worked in old, moldy apartments and houses, in open air without ever having issues with contams from MS.

I also made a lot of my own syringes via taking my own prints, diluting one syringe into 20, etc.

I also made all my syringes and made all my prints in open air.

I worked for many years without updating my methods as everything worked just fine for me. I came back recently when starting up a new batch and read on updated methods. A lot of this reading was great as certain ideas had been thrown out and simplified, but also saw all of this new talk about how bad MS is, etc. I had prepared and inoculated quite a lot of WBS jars and only had a handful colonize, so I was feeling pretty down as this had never happened to me before, and I was particularly susceptible to all the negative talk about MS despite decades of experience telling me otherwise. Looking back, I think the spore solution was ridiculously diluted (already diluted 2x from original syringe) as well as being very old.

Anyway, G2G was great and I can't believe I didn't start doing that earlier... so much more efficient than starting from spore.... but you all have me rethinking the need to give up MS.

InvisibleLeftfield420
bong toker
Male

Re: Post your MS Luck ! [Re: pixelpopper]
    #24704887 - 10/12/17 01:54 PM (6 years, 5 months ago)

No need to give up ms...even though I use agar my grows have been ms, unless you isolate on agar it's still ms ...although I just took a clone to test at a later date...may take a couple more as well... I just lost one of my tubs after a massive first flush...best flush I've got so far...

Offlinepixelpopper
Crap Artist

Re: Post your MS Luck ! [Re: icetech] * 1
    #24704889 - 10/12/17 01:55 PM (6 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

icetech said:

Ah thanks... my first agars are growing and i am not sure on direction at this point for jars or sub in a tub (all dr. suess on that one) was going to go WBS but i see videos or read how you have to pick out certain seeds.. and other saying nope. just use it.. alot of contradictory nfo everywhere.. (willy fucking myco) so just trying to find what's easy, cheap and has a decent sucess rate right now..

WBS is easy (and cheap if you source the best priced bag - I get a big ass bag from Walmart for under $10). A lot of the teks over complicate it. You don't have to pick out any of the seeds, people just prefer to for different reasons. Sunflower seeds are black and some people don't like to see anything black in their jars so there is no confusion over possible contams. There are people who don't even bother cleaning their WBS, they just use it as it comes in the bag.

I have a couple jars in the PC right now which consist entirely of all the crap people clean out of their WBS - sunflower seeds, floaters, moths, maggots, sticks, etc. I am going to colonize it and use it for fruiting, and I'll throw up some pics to show how it goes. I'm sure someone has already done this.

Offlineicetech
 User Gallery

#24704913 - 10/12/17 02:16 PM (6 years, 5 months ago)

Thanks pixel.. i am heading to home depot tonight to grab some CFL's will see how their WBS prices are

--------------------

Offlinepixelpopper
Crap Artist

Re: Post your MS Luck ! [Re: Leftfield420]
    #24704914 - 10/12/17 02:16 PM (6 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Leftfield420 said:
No need to give up ms...even though I use agar my grows have been ms, unless you isolate on agar it's still ms ...

I guess I should have clarified I meant MS syringes. I kind of agree with Citric regarding skipping the agar and just injecting MS onto a grain jar, and working from there. Agar seems like its just adding extra supplies, work and storage into the mix, although I understand its validity and why people love it. I don't know, will have to think on it... may just go ahead and try agar anyway to do something new.

But inoculating a grain jar and then doing a bunch of g2g seems like a pretty simple and efficient way of working.

Offlinepixelpopper
Crap Artist

#24704961 - 10/12/17 02:44 PM (6 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

icetech said:
Thanks pixel.. i am heading to home depot tonight to grab some CFL's will see how their WBS prices are

If you decide to do WBS, I'd recommend following SpitballJedi's WBS prep guide here:
https://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/20048754#20048754

No need to cook/simmer WBS at all. Just let it soak, drain for about 15 min, and then load it into you jars. This is what I do and it works great.

Offlinesir_spins_alot
Feels like a stranger
 User Gallery

Loc: United States Flag
    #24704973 - 10/12/17 02:50 PM (6 years, 5 months ago)

I agree with everything said about syringes.  I grew about a decade ago and now am back.  This time I'm spending way more time researching and taking my time wanting to learn this science:) so I ordered about $250 bucks worth of lab supplies 200 perti dishes, agar and tools and am trying to learn it all.  It is by no means easy for a brand new noob to jump into agar just pouring plates was a bitch with the temps and condensation, not impossible but not an hour reading and your off.

So I knocked up a dozen jars all are doing great, and while I'm waiting I'm pouring plates and there turning out ok no contams so far and a week in and 3/4 are colonizing pretty well.  I figured doing it this way would give me something to do while waiting on jars to colonize, That way by the time my multi spore grow is done I'll have some agar Experience under my belt to clone some fruits. 

Also in the past I just used ms to wild bird seed and then cased with straight verm and they turned out awesome.
  So the only time I had problems with syringes was when I fucked up sterile technique definitely not the syringes themselves.

So all in all I have probably 15 grows under my belt so by no means an expert But I have a lot more experience than someone brand new and I probably spent 100 plus hours researching over the last month to buy all the right supplies and know how to use agar There's literally hundreds of different teks on this site for agar and I probably read every one of them to increase my chances for success.  This is definitely not something I would recommend to someone who has never grown a single mushroom.  They need to learn to bang out a couple cakes and casings first.  I think anything more would be overload and more likely to fuck things up.  A true noob needs to focus on sterile technique and preparing/sterilizing spawn.  Before they even think about agar.

--------------------

Edited by sir_spins_alot (10/12/17 03:13 PM)

Offlineicetech
 User Gallery

#24705074 - 10/12/17 03:28 PM (6 years, 5 months ago)

Haha thanks pixel.. i was just looking through guides trying to figure what to follow.. will use that:)

--------------------

InvisiblebodhisattaMDiscordReddit
Smurf real estate agent
 User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Milky way
Trusted Cultivator
    #24705161 - 10/12/17 04:15 PM (6 years, 5 months ago)

MS ksssXpe(envySS)

Another MS envyss

Ms pesa two tubs
Spores straight to grain

Ms aa+ amd envyss

Ms S.A.T.

MS shooting star

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Grow Bags   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules