Home | Community | Message Board

Out-Grow.com - Mushroom Growing Kits & Supplies
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflineTiberjuggaligger
Galaxy Creeper

Loc: USA
Alcohol vs. marijuana: Which one is safest?
    #24701508 - 10/11/17 07:46 AM (6 years, 6 months ago)

http://www.nydailynews.com/amp/life-style/alcohol-marijuana-safest-article-1.3554393

There are few battles as heated as the discussion as to what's safer — alcohol or marijuana?

Like a professional tennis match, the lobs volley back and forth. Alcohol is legal, marijuana is not (in most states). You can't overdose on marijuana, you can on alcohol. You know what you're getting with alcohol, not so much with marijuana.

On and the discussion goes, so we decided to look deeper and see what the science says.

Alcohol

Alcohol may be legal, but there's no denying it's dangerous. In fact, the CDC reports that nearly 88,000 alcohol-related deaths occur each year. Binge drinking accounts for about half of these deaths as death can occur within five minutes of binge drinking.

Alcohol is also linked to considerable long-term health issues — over seven types of cancer, type 2 diabetes, cardiovascular issues, obesity and more.

Reckless and criminal behavior increases with alcohol use. Up to 50% of all domestic violence incidences occur when alcohol is involved. The odds of being in a car accident increase by more than 2,200% when drinking alcohol.

Alcohol use can also lead to risky sexual behavior, increasing incidences of sexual violence, lack of protection or infidelity.

Concerning as well are the cases of alcohol-induced blackouts. Drinking heavily can even lead to the brain's inability to create new memories.

Marijuana

Marijuana is often touted as the most misunderstood miracle drug out there — but is it really? While marijuana is often used to treat a variety of diseases such as cancer and multiple sclerosis, some studies have linked marijuana to an increased risk of developing certain cancers, especially lung cancer. Further studies are being conducted to establish the veracity of those links.

Death caused by marijuana use is almost zero. According to a recent study, a fatal dose of TCH, the main chemical in marijuana, is between 15 and 70 grams. That equates to smoking between 238 and 1,113 joints in a single day in order to overdose on marijuana.

That's not to say that other health risks do not exist. Marijuana use has been linked to anxiety, depression, increased heart rate, increased risk of heart attack (within the first hour of smoking) and suicidal thoughts in teens.

Most criminal incidences with marijuana use has to do with the possession or distribution of it due to its banned status. Studies show that driving under the influence of marijuana increases the odds of being in a car accident by 83%.

Marijuana use has also been linked to risky sexual behavior, including a marked increase in the number of sexual partners, increased risk of STIs and unwanted pregnancy.

Most concerning with marijuana is its effects on the developing brain and long-term brain changes. Adolescents using marijuana have been shown to have lower connectivity and reduced brain activity.

Long-term marijuana use has shown significantly reduced memory and cognitive abilities.

So what does science say in the long run? On the surface, marijuana use appears to be safer than alcohol use. However, both substances come with risks and potential long term health risks, in addition to potential legal and relationship complications that can come from using both.

Which one is safest is still up to debate, but experts do agree that the safest option is to avoid both drugs altogether.

--------------------

Kirk: What does God need with a starship?
McCoy: Jim, what are you doing?
Kirk: I'm asking a question.
"God": Who is this creature?
Kirk: Who am I? Don't you know? Aren't you God?
Sybok: He has his doubts.
"God": You doubt me?
Kirk: I seek proof.
McCoy: Jim! You don't ask the Almighty for his ID

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflinePeyote Road
Stranger
Male
Loc: Great Lakes State
Re: Alcohol vs. marijuana: Which one is safest? [Re: Tiberjuggaligger]
    #24701561 - 10/11/17 08:11 AM (6 years, 6 months ago)

I think it's obvious. Alcohol does more harm on a societal level because it creates more behavioral problems (DUIs, violence) as well as severe addictions that result in expensive health problems, death and damaged familial relationships.

But on the level of the individual person, it depends. Marijuana can cause psychological problems and dependency for some people that ends up hurting than far more than a drink or two would. Alcohol is, in my opinion quite a lot safer than many other substances if kept in the 1-2 drink range.

--------------------
The path of the herbalist is to open ourselves to nature in an innocent and pure way. SHe in turn will open her bounty and reward us with many valuable secrets. May the earth bless you. - Michael Tierra

OfflineAlan RockefellerM
Mycologist
Male User Gallery
Re: Alcohol vs. marijuana: Which one is safest? [Re: Peyote Road] * 1
    #24701718 - 10/11/17 09:36 AM (6 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Peyote Road said:
Alcohol is, in my opinion quite a lot safer than many other substances if kept in the 1-2 drink range.

Any drug is safe if taken in a low dose.

However people, being people, do not always keep their doses low - so the safety of drugs at high doses is what needs to be compared.

Invisiblelarry.fisherman
shoulda died already
I'm a teapot

Re: Alcohol vs. marijuana: Which one is safest? [Re: Tiberjuggaligger] * 1
    #24701794 - 10/11/17 10:06 AM (6 years, 6 months ago)

Alcohol is less safe because it literally produces toxins in your system and has a well known proclivity to induce repetitious redosing. The argument is moot as far as I’m concerned - stupid question.

Invisibledurian_2008
Cornucopian Eating an Elephant
 User Gallery

Loc: Raccoon City
Re: Alcohol vs. marijuana: Which one is safest? [Re: larry.fisherman]
    #24702026 - 10/11/17 11:27 AM (6 years, 6 months ago)

There is no correct answer, because everyones' tolerances are different. You should already know how your body responds, before taking a social risk.

As best I can tell, depending on your metabolism, alcohol can be turned into calories. I'm a devious, cynical, and energetic drunk -- possibly, to the point of poisoning. So, is everyone in my family. 

I scraped a wad of sticky (legal) sap off my fingers, with my front teeth. Very effective, on the first try. Nothing happened, the second time. In my case, it would matter whether I had 'gone on vacation.'

I think, both are unsafe for different reasons. This is a risk. Make it a calculated risk, not an experiment. Or, leave it to grown-ups.

OfflineTripSip
Titled
Female User Gallery

Loc: The Shire
Re: Alcohol vs. marijuana: Which one is safest? [Re: larry.fisherman]
    #24702151 - 10/11/17 12:16 PM (6 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

XLCaps said:
Alcohol is less safe because it literally produces toxins in your system and has a well known proclivity to induce repetitious redosing. The argument is moot as far as I’m concerned - stupid question.

OfflineDoc9151M
Mycologist
Male User Gallery

Loc: Gulf Coast USA Flag
Re: Alcohol vs. marijuana: Which one is safest? [Re: TripSip]
    #24702570 - 10/11/17 02:53 PM (6 years, 6 months ago)

Eating will kill you, breathing will kill you. Lets face it, were gonna fucking die someday, so, lets enjoy ourselves and quit with the bullshit. Money is what it all boils down too and who controls it.
The government don't give a rats ass about anyone, hell Donalds probably snorting coke off some hookers tits in the oval office as we speak.

--------------------

Psilocybe cubensis data collection thread. please help with this project if you hunt wild cubensis.
https://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=26513593&page=0&vc=1#26513593

OfflineDoc9151M
Mycologist
Male User Gallery

Loc: Gulf Coast USA Flag
Re: Alcohol vs. marijuana: Which one is safest? [Re: TripSip]
    #24702573 - 10/11/17 02:55 PM (6 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

TripSip said:
Quote:

XLCaps said:

I second that!!!!

--------------------

Psilocybe cubensis data collection thread. please help with this project if you hunt wild cubensis.
https://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=26513593&page=0&vc=1#26513593

OfflineSeriously_trippin
Cosmic Guru Ganesh
Male User Gallery

Re: Alcohol vs. marijuana: Which one is safest? [Re: Doc9151]
    #24703052 - 10/11/17 06:14 PM (6 years, 6 months ago)

Alcohol poisoning kills alot, cirrhosis of the liver kills constantly,drunk driving kills more then most dangerous shit in America, along with things like it being physically addicting and can and does kill when withdrawing. Then there is pure
alcohol domestic abuse being extremely high vs just pot. Everything Op posts is reefer madness level propaganda.

--------------------
R.I.P
Zombi3, Blue Helix
Modest Mouse
Zappa
Slothie
That Kid With The face
ShLong
Le Canard
split_by_nine
& Big Worm Forever
Etched in the sands of time in the shroomery and ever so beloved and deeply missed by many :heart:

InvisiblerhizoRider
Mycorrhizally expanding
 User Gallery

Re: Alcohol vs. marijuana: Which one is safest? [Re: Seriously_trippin]
    #24703071 - 10/11/17 06:24 PM (6 years, 6 months ago)

Doc said it above folks :oldman:
Wtf. Don't y'all get it yet? Life kills you!:oldman:
Try your best to enjoy every minute of it
Y'all get old the same speed and never make it farther than much over 100
I wouldn't want too live that long and frail
Comes faster than ya think though!
Just enjoy BOTH responsibly or DONT lol.
Something WILL kill all of us someday.
Ride the ride with a smile!
:sun::shineon:

--------------------

Invisibledurian_2008
 User Gallery

Re: Alcohol vs. marijuana: Which one is safest? [Re: Doc9151]
    #24703935 - 10/12/17 04:41 AM (6 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Doc9151 said:
Eating will kill you, breathing will kill you.

Respectfully, this discussion is not just about some random chance, in life. 

If you are proactively putting yourself at risk, please take some responsibility.

If you are eating or breathing a drug, impairing yourself -- I'm sorry -- you have just affected your chances that something bad can happen to you.

OfflinePeyote Road
Stranger
Male
Re: Alcohol vs. marijuana: Which one is safest? [Re: Alan Rockefeller]
    #24703936 - 10/12/17 04:42 AM (6 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Alan Rockefeller said:
Quote:

Peyote Road said:
Alcohol is, in my opinion quite a lot safer than many other substances if kept in the 1-2 drink range.

Any drug is safe if taken in a low dose.

However people, being people, do not always keep their doses low - so the safety of drugs at high doses is what needs to be compared.

Not true. Even low doses of cocaine can cause sudden cardiac events for example. A low dose of marijuana or psychedelics, while certainly safer than a high dose, can still cause profound changes in perception which can be dangerous to people with mental issues. Given the fact that I have psychoses right now, even a low dose of marijuana could prove exceedingly dangerous for me, for example, yet a low dose of alcohol has no ill effects.

Certain drugs like MDMA and crack for example, do not even work properly in a low dose. For me a low dose of MDMA tends to give me anxiety and smoking a small hit of crack is just a waste of crack. Alcohol however can be enjoyable in low doses. There are many "responsible drinkers" out there who have realized this and frequently drink 1 or 2 alcoholic drinks. However it would be quite rare to find crack smokers who only smoke a tiny amount of crack. Some drugs lend themselves more to high doses than others.

--------------------
The path of the herbalist is to open ourselves to nature in an innocent and pure way. SHe in turn will open her bounty and reward us with many valuable secrets. May the earth bless you. - Michael Tierra

OfflineFractal420
Psycellium
Male User Gallery

Re: Alcohol vs. marijuana: Which one is safest? [Re: Peyote Road] * 2
    #24704063 - 10/12/17 06:22 AM (6 years, 6 months ago)

Alcohol is a literal poison.

Cannabis is a literal plant (with zero toxins)

What is safer? How is this a debate?

Alcohol, first and foremost is damaging to your liver. People get violent. And go to the hospital from overdose (true poisoning). What questions are there?

Oh yeah. Addiction. Def alcohol.

--------------------
Dreaming of That face again.
It's bright and blue and shimmering.
Grinning wide
And comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes.

Prying open MY third eye

Invisibledurian_2008
 User Gallery

Re: Alcohol vs. marijuana: Which one is safest? [Re: Fractal420]
    #24704085 - 10/12/17 06:43 AM (6 years, 6 months ago)

Heroic doses of alcohol or mj concentrates are arguably damaging.

In moderation, either is said to have health benefits.

If one or the other strongly disagrees with you, you know not to take it, already, without any social dialog.

You are ultimately responsible, not your neighbor or your fellow man, for what you do to yourself.

Offlinethirtygoats
Male
Re: Alcohol vs. marijuana: Which one is safest? [Re: durian_2008]
    #24704984 - 10/12/17 02:55 PM (6 years, 6 months ago)

Cannabis is all good and alcohol is all bad. Sure, you might think it was worth it when you're feeling pretty good after a few beers, but it wasn't. You could have smoked some weed, and worked out, and eaten some healthy food. Alcohol and tobacco are stupid and should be boycotted.

As far as I'm concerned, there's something wrong with people who don't like weed, and people who are against legalizing marijuana are pure evil. Fuck alcohol, I'd be fine if I never drank that worthless garbage again.

InvisibleThayendanegea
quiet walker
Male User Gallery

Loc: 7 Lodges Nation Flag
Re: Alcohol vs. marijuana: Which one is safest? [Re: thirtygoats] * 2
    #24705067 - 10/12/17 03:26 PM (6 years, 6 months ago)

I had several reasons why mj is better for you than alcohol but I forgot.:rasta:

--------------------
Look Deep Into Nature,and Then You Will Understand Everything Better.

Albert Einstein

OfflinePeyote Road
Stranger
Male
Re: Alcohol vs. marijuana: Which one is safest? [Re: Fractal420]
    #24705182 - 10/12/17 04:29 PM (6 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Fractal420 said:

Alcohol, first and foremost is damaging to your liver. People get violent. And go to the hospital from overdose (true poisoning). What questions are there?

This is a very biased viewpoint. A large number of studies have shown benefits from moderate alcohol consumption. A poison is only determined by dose. There is an amount of alcohol you can drink which is not damaging to you. It is not damaging to the liver either, unless you exceed a certain amount. Even then, it takes years of serious abuse to damage the liver and only 15-20% of alcoholics develop cirrhoses of the liver.

--------------------

InvisibleSham87
mashAllah
Male

Re: Alcohol vs. marijuana: Which one is safest? [Re: Peyote Road]
    #24705193 - 10/12/17 04:34 PM (6 years, 6 months ago)

alcohol is just a shit drug :shrug:

Question: If fully legalized would people choose mj over alcohol?

--------------------
:mushroom2::sun::crazy2::leaf:

...once in a while you get shown the light in the strangest places if you look at it right...

:feelsgoatman:

OfflineSeriously_trippin
Cosmic Guru Ganesh
Male User Gallery

Re: Alcohol vs. marijuana: Which one is safest? [Re: Peyote Road]
    #24706008 - 10/12/17 10:40 PM (6 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Peyote Road said:
Quote:

Fractal420 said:

This is a very biased viewpoint. A large number of studies have shown benefits from moderate alcohol consumption. A poison is only determined by dose. There is an amount of alcohol you can drink which is not damaging to you. It is not damaging to the liver either, unless you exceed a certain amount. Even then, it takes years of serious abuse to damage the liver and only 15-20% of alcoholics develop cirrhoses of the liver.

Let's drop the bullshit, how many people get "drunk" vs how many people have 1 or 2 glasses of wine a night? I'm also not saying Alcohol is the worst thing in the world for you but I KNOW it's less destructive then pot and takes millions of times more lives which is really the bottom line. I've had 3 deaths in my family from alcoholism and 0 from pot.

15-30%  cirrhosis of the liver is still worse than 0% cirrhosis of the liver from excessive pot use .  It is a fact though that 100% of alcoholics get horrific physical withdrawals that can and does kill. We aren't talking moderation vs excess use when you bring it to "is marijuana safer then alcohol". It then boils down to what happens to people when they do abuse it.

--------------------
R.I.P
Zombi3, Blue Helix
Modest Mouse
Zappa
Slothie
That Kid With The face
ShLong
Le Canard
split_by_nine
& Big Worm Forever
Etched in the sands of time in the shroomery and ever so beloved and deeply missed by many :heart:

OfflinePeyote Road
Stranger
Male
Re: Alcohol vs. marijuana: Which one is safest? [Re: Seriously_trippin]
    #24706214 - 10/13/17 01:20 AM (6 years, 6 months ago)

A lot of people drink responsibly, just not many young people. When I was kid, my dad always drank 1 or 2 glass of wine when he got home from work. He never got drunk or developed cirrhosis of the liver or anything like that.  Same with my uncle, he would always drink a beer or two in the evening. A lot of my relatives would.

Now keep in mind I am not arguing marijiuana is worse for society than alcohol. I already stated in this thread, that alcohol has a much worse effect at the societal level. But what I am saying is, on an individual bases marijuana can cause problems for certain people and these problems. For example,  in my case smoking too much weed as a youngster caused me to become anxious and paranoid. It also caused me to spiritually awaken prematurely, which resulted in tremendous problems and actually kind of ruined my life. I doubt I would have had that problem if I'd stuck to a shot or two. But I had convinced myself marijuana was so much less harmful, and I ended up being completely wrong.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale