Home | Community | Message Board

Original Seeds Store
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
InvisibleDieCommie

Pride in one's heritage.
    #24696450 - 10/09/17 11:20 AM (6 years, 5 months ago)

I'm suspicious about having pride in one's heritage. Ethnically I am a vanilla white male with no connection to an old world country. Effectively I have no heritage. Of course it's really there, behind the scenes. Often it is lamented and something to feel shame about. The way my heritage both is and is presented is shameful. Even though I conceptualize and rationalize against both the shame and the atrocities, the shame is a foundation of my personal heritage.

In some sense this puts me in a unique position compared to virtually all other population groups. I am in a way "freed" from my heritage. It is not anything I would want to define myself with, so I don't. I am free to define myself without (or with a minimized) cultural baggage (I mean heritage...).

Other people strongly identify with their heritage. I wonder if this somehow limits them. It limits the scope for their identity from outside. But is there is something to be gained from this, something I don't have. A place of belonging in culture. Not everybody is able or willing to carve their own identity from scratch. Being handed a partial identity already formed and functional is a benefit and resource. For success.

These thoughts were precipitated by today being columbus day and the reaction against that, indigenous people's day. In the 70s, italian american's were tired of having a second class heritage and latched onto columbus as a cultural hero worthy of a federal holiday. American indians obviously don't feel so hot about it, and neither do many other americans. So they make indigenous people's day... The pride of each group is in a kind of conflict.

Personally, I'd rather observe indigenous people's day.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleSoloTrip
Help Ever, Hurt Never
Male

Loc: Flag
Re: Pride in one's heritage. [Re: DieCommie]
    #24697534 - 10/09/17 05:40 PM (6 years, 5 months ago)

I've thought of it before a bit like making a virtue out of a necessity. I mean nobody had any choice in the matter but believe that being a whatever they are is practically the best thing in the world. Even the things we do choose for ourselves are partially due to necessity if you think about it. For example, if you're a schoolteacher then you possibly have a high opinion of schoolteachers similarly but the compulsion to become one is partially that to eat, to survive. Why do we feel the need to puff ourselves up like this at all? I suspect because it is gratifying to ourselves for some more than others.

--------------------

OfflinePeyote Road
Stranger
Male
Loc: Great Lakes State
Re: Pride in one's heritage. [Re: SoloTrip]
    #24698759 - 10/10/17 04:50 AM (6 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

SoloTrip said:
I've thought of it before a bit like making a virtue out of a necessity. I mean nobody had any choice in the matter but believe that being a whatever they are is practically the best thing in the world. Even the things we do choose for ourselves are partially due to necessity if you think about it. For example, if you're a schoolteacher then you possibly have a high opinion of schoolteachers similarly but the compulsion to become one is partially that to eat, to survive. Why do we feel the need to puff ourselves up like this at all? I suspect because it is gratifying to ourselves for some more than others.

It's not necessarily all about puffing oneself up. That is probably the case for some but I also think it is about, as the OP alluded to, having a cultural identity or even just having a culture you can identify with period. Here in the USA we have no culture anymore, the only cultural value we have is to consume. By going back and looking at your heritage, you can find evidence of a people who valued more than just consumption.

--------------------
The path of the herbalist is to open ourselves to nature in an innocent and pure way. SHe in turn will open her bounty and reward us with many valuable secrets. May the earth bless you. - Michael Tierra

Invisiblesudly
Quasar Praiser

Re: Pride in one's heritage. [Re: Peyote Road]
    #24698907 - 10/10/17 07:36 AM (6 years, 5 months ago)

I hailed a bus today, and my mothers side has German heritage.

I am pride in Australia, the land of where bears are not!

--------------------
I am whatever Darwin needs me to be.

OfflineThanatos10
Stranger
 User Gallery

Loc: South Florida
Re: Pride in one's heritage. [Re: sudly]
    #24699633 - 10/10/17 02:12 PM (6 years, 5 months ago)

I don't get heritage, is all about which piece of rock from a larger rock you are from.

It's just a made up story I think, like it honestly matters who came before you.

--------------------
As lightless oblivion devours you, drown in the ever-blooming darkness.

Invisibleteknix
𓂀⟁𓅢𓍝𓅃𓊰𓉡 𓁼𓆗⨻
 User Gallery

Re: Pride in one's heritage. [Re: Thanatos10]
    #24699712 - 10/10/17 02:48 PM (6 years, 5 months ago)

I think of pride and humility as in opposition to one another. Pride, for instance, results in a greater ego when humility reduces the ego. I don't know if you can be both humble and prideful of the same thing?

Offlinebeforethedawn
Re: Pride in one's heritage. [Re: teknix]
    #24699739 - 10/10/17 02:59 PM (6 years, 5 months ago)

Where da white wimmen at?

--------------------
Hostile humankind
Can't you see you're fucking blind?

Offlineakira_akuma
Φύσις κρύπτεσθαι ὕψιστος φιλεῖ

Loc: Onypeirophóros
Re: Pride in one's heritage. [Re: teknix]
    #24699740 - 10/10/17 02:59 PM (6 years, 5 months ago)

it's reflective of the human condition.

Invisiblesudly
Quasar Praiser

Re: Pride in one's heritage. [Re: akira_akuma]
    #24700182 - 10/10/17 05:55 PM (6 years, 5 months ago)

Straya!!

Screw the govna!
Govna gets headbutted

Edited by sudly (10/10/17 06:04 PM)

Offlineviktor
psychotechnician
Male User Gallery

Loc: New Zealand Flag
Re: Pride in one's heritage. [Re: DieCommie]
    #24700188 - 10/10/17 05:58 PM (6 years, 5 months ago)

If English is your native language then you have plenty of British heritage.

--------------------
"They consider me insane but I know that I am a hero living under the eyes of the gods."

Invisibleredgreenvines
irregular verb
 User Gallery

Re: Pride in one's heritage. [Re: viktor]
    #24700710 - 10/10/17 08:44 PM (6 years, 5 months ago)

can anyone separate inheritance from heritage

--------------------
:confused: _ :brainfart:🧠  _ :finger:

InvisibleHobozen
 User Gallery
Re: Pride in one's heritage. *DELETED* [Re: Peyote Road] * 1
    #24700923 - 10/10/17 09:48 PM (6 years, 5 months ago)

Post deleted by Hobozen

Reason for deletion: Illegal

OnlineMahdi
Temporal
I'm a teapot

Re: Pride in one's heritage. [Re: Hobozen]
    #24700959 - 10/10/17 10:00 PM (6 years, 5 months ago)

We should all just be happy we're alive :tongue2:

OfflinePeyote Road
Stranger
Male
Re: Pride in one's heritage. [Re: Hobozen]
    #24701165 - 10/11/17 01:04 AM (6 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Hobozen said:
Quote:

Peyote Road said:
It's not necessarily all about puffing oneself up. That is probably the case for some but I also think it is about, as the OP alluded to, having a cultural identity or even just having a culture you can identify with period. Here in the USA we have no culture anymore, the only cultural value we have is to consume. By going back and looking at your heritage, you can find evidence of a people who valued more than just consumption.

The goyim shouldn't feel pride, they should feel guilt.

Why is that?

--------------------
The path of the herbalist is to open ourselves to nature in an innocent and pure way. SHe in turn will open her bounty and reward us with many valuable secrets. May the earth bless you. - Michael Tierra

OfflinePeyote Road
Stranger
Male
Re: Pride in one's heritage. [Re: Thanatos10]
    #24701170 - 10/11/17 01:08 AM (6 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Thanatos10 said:
I don't get heritage, is all about which piece of rock from a larger rock you are from.

It's just a made up story I think, like it honestly matters who came before you.

It does matter though, because when people forget who they are they behave according to false values and this brings suffering. Your cultural heritage is supposed to remind you who you are and what your people value. I wouldn't say it's about what rock you came from, I would say it's about remember the lessons learned by your ancestors. 

--------------------

Edited by Peyote Road (10/11/17 01:09 AM)

Invisiblequinn
some kinda love
 User Gallery

Re: Pride in one's heritage. [Re: Peyote Road] * 1
    #24701404 - 10/11/17 06:32 AM (6 years, 5 months ago)

pride makes sense when your heritage is one of exclusion and shame..

not so much if it's the other way round.. i find something like nationalism rather repugnant but being aware of your heritage seems important & valuable to explaining who you are and why.. i don't think anyone is doing themselves a service ignoring it and i don't see it as a limitation as much as simply another facet to oneself

--------------------
dripping with fantasy

Offlineqman
Stranger

Re: Pride in one's heritage. [Re: Peyote Road] * 1
    #24703220 - 10/11/17 07:36 PM (6 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Peyote Road said:
Quote:

SoloTrip said:

"Here in the USA we have no culture anymore"

Very true.

It's not necessarily about taking pride in one's heritage, it's just about acknowledging it and not disregarding it because people tell you it serves no purpose today.

Offlineusulpsychonaut
Male

Loc: Northland, New Zealand. Flag
Re: Pride in one's heritage. [Re: qman]
    #24705126 - 10/12/17 03:52 PM (6 years, 5 months ago)

The USA is Global. We all have videodrome. Long live the new flesh.

Offlinebeforethedawn
Re: Pride in one's heritage. [Re: usulpsychonaut]
    #24706384 - 10/13/17 05:52 AM (6 years, 5 months ago)

I can get a hamburger 24/7 at McDonald's in a town of 4000 because of your stupid superpower country. :sun:

--------------------
Hostile humankind
Can't you see you're fucking blind?

InvisibleHobozen
 User Gallery
Re: Pride in one's heritage. [Re: beforethedawn]
    #24706785 - 10/13/17 10:18 AM (6 years, 5 months ago)

Culture, baby.

Go up a bit north and there's some of the best festivals too. Lots of amazing culture if you look around. People who say the west has no culture just haven't really lived.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom