Home | Community | Message Board

Mycohaus
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Seeds Store buy cannabis seeds, Buy CBD   Amazon Perlite, Ultrasonic Humidifier

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlineryubrir
Stranger
Nevada dry environment
    #2469660 - 03/25/04 12:54 AM (13 years, 8 months ago)

hello people! I have decided to cultivate here at home in Nevada, last time I cultivated was when I lived in Oregon.. Portland being humid, there weren't too many problems. Now that I am here in Nevada, i can't help but ask myself, and you, if growing here is a viable option? since there is NO humidity here! it is so dry that it leeches the water out of your skin and lips! I am wondering if some of the more experienced growers can enlighten me, as to what modifications will I make? if any... I know that I will have to keep my terrarium humid at all times... but is that enough??? I want to put some perlite on bottom of the terrarium to hold the water and hence the moisture, that way i am hoping it will evaporate into the chamber, allowing enough humidity for the cakes I will make.

any help or advice is greatly appreciated.

peace,
ryu

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Invisibledobinky
infoseeker
 User Gallery
Loc: Wiki, Kentucky
Re: Nevada dry environment [Re: ryubrir]
    #2469693 - 03/25/04 01:06 AM (13 years, 8 months ago)

your terranium is an enclosed enviroment. Is your fridge dry and warm cause your in nevada? i dont think so.

--------------------
Today?s Pig is Tomorrow?s Bacon

OfflineTeknoJunkie
Pioneer

Loc: The Mountains
    #2469701 - 03/25/04 01:09 AM (13 years, 8 months ago)

Heya. I live in Colorado and experience low humidity problems and everything works out great. I do mine in micro-climate tupperware using bake trays for the casing containers. Just make sure whatever material you use has been soaked in a little bit of water and make sure to spray with water when you open them to give them an oxygen exchange. I bought a little humidity detector made from Holmes for like $3 that I sit right inside the tupperware and it should be around 50-75 for absolute best results...depending on the strain. But, if you're going to do it in an open enviornment make sure you buy a humidifier with automatic settings (so u can have it shut off at 50% humidity) and make sure to keep your filter clean at all times. There's this stuff called bacteriostat that holmes makes too, you just pour a capful in the water tank and it pretty much "lysol's" the air for you...very useful. Anyway, I hope this was of some help. Good luck.

- Aim

--------------------
:oogle:  :pacman: :tripping:

InvisibleATWAR
Connoisseur

Loc: #108768 in line...
    #2469708 - 03/25/04 01:11 AM (13 years, 8 months ago)

Inside the humidity is controlled by you, not mother nature. As long as your humidifier is up to the task that is. Try to get an ultrasonic unit, they are more than enough. Even the small ones are very efficient, and quiet if that aspect is important. Just make sure you don't pump too much mist in from it, or you will end up with water everywhere. The biggest concern I would have is the heat. Watch the temps in the room where fruiting occurs.

You could even cultivate outside in the shade with a humidity tent and regular waterings. I have grown mushrooms outdoors fine in very dry times.

--------------------
To give is to live...

OfflineMinimumEfrt2
enthusiast
Re: Nevada dry environment [Re: TeknoJunkie]
    #2469715 - 03/25/04 01:13 AM (13 years, 8 months ago)

Hey, i live in colorado too, what part of colorado u from? i live in boulder right by CU. I thought u were supposed to keep humidity around 95% u said it should be around 50-75. did u mean 50-75%??

InvisibleTheDrugStore

Loc: Hawaii Flag
Re: Nevada dry environment [Re: TeknoJunkie]
    #2469789 - 03/25/04 01:46 AM (13 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

TeknoJunkie said:
Heya. I live in Colorado and experience low humidity problems and everything works out great. I do mine in micro-climate tupperware using bake trays for the casing containers. Just make sure whatever material you use has been soaked in a little bit of water and make sure to spray with water when you open them to give them an oxygen exchange. I bought a little humidity detector made from Holmes for like $3 that I sit right inside the tupperware and it should be around 50-75 for absolute best results...depending on the strain. But, if you're going to do it in an open enviornment make sure you buy a humidifier with automatic settings (so u can have it shut off at 50%

humidity) and make sure to keep your filter clean at all times. There's this stuff called bacteriostat that holmes makes too, you just pour a capful in the water tank and it pretty much "lysol's" the air for you...very useful. Anyway, I hope this was of some help. Good luck.

- Aim

You need RH to be at least 80%.
For best results 90% is good.

--------------------
Penalties against drug use should not be more damaging to an individual than the use of the drug itself. Nowhere is this more clear than in the laws against the possession of marijuana and mushrooms in private for personal use.

InvisibleDieCommie

#2469800 - 03/25/04 01:52 AM (13 years, 8 months ago)

What does suck about the hot and dry climate, is spores will die in your mailbox in the summer....

InvisibleATWAR
Connoisseur

Loc: #108768 in line...
Re: Nevada dry environment [Re: DieCommie]
    #2469927 - 03/25/04 02:37 AM (13 years, 8 months ago)

Sucks in the north too, they can sometimes freeze and die in transit. Print or syringe. They may still be viable, but only few spores compared to a normal print.

--------------------
To give is to live...

InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

Loc: In the hen house
Re: Nevada dry environment [Re: dobinky]
    #2470800 - 03/25/04 04:18 AM (13 years, 8 months ago)

Is your fridge dry and warm cause your in nevada? i dont think so.

Yeah, as a matter fact it is. :razz:

Oops - I forgot to plug it in!  :eyemouth:

--------------------

The proof is in the pudding.

OfflineMinimumEfrt2
enthusiast
Re: Nevada dry environment [Re: DieCommie]
    #2472227 - 03/25/04 07:14 AM (13 years, 8 months ago)

how long would it take for the spores to die???

OfflineTeknoJunkie
Pioneer

Loc: The Mountains
    #2475828 - 03/26/04 06:00 AM (13 years, 8 months ago)

thanx for the humidity info guys.
but just for cool information they do grow absolutely fine at around 50% humidity.
:oogle: :crazy:

--------------------
:oogle:  :pacman: :tripping:

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: Original Seeds Store buy cannabis seeds, Buy CBD   Amazon Perlite, Ultrasonic Humidifier

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation