Home | Community | Message Board

World Seed Supply
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineWickedClown
ShRoOmEr

A Question?
    #2469012 - 03/24/04 08:14 PM (20 years, 8 days ago)

I was just wondering and I want some sound answers. How many mushrooms are there that will actually kill you if you eat only one... I'm talking about lookalike mushrooms that someone might pick up and take by accident.

I'm just wondering how dangerous picking can actually be :smile: I aint personally talking about me or anything, just in general.

More specifically, deadly mushrooms that grow in cow shit. How many are there that take one to kill you?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblespores
haploid
 User Gallery

Loc: Washington
Re: A Question? [Re: WickedClown]
    #2469111 - 03/24/04 08:48 PM (20 years, 8 days ago)

DH

OfflineWickedClown
ShRoOmEr

Re: A Question? [Re: spores]
    #2469292 - 03/24/04 09:27 PM (20 years, 8 days ago)

I'm not quite sure what that answer means... I might not be as specific... I'm talking more mushrooms that look like active ones that people might take by mistake... Not obvious ones like death caps or other ones like that. I have read the guides, and I was wondering what the other "one shroom killers" were that closely resemble active mushrooms...

Nevermind I spose its not too important :smile:

Invisiblespores
haploid
 User Gallery

Loc: Washington
    #2469477 - 03/24/04 10:08 PM (20 years, 8 days ago)

heh, I was just being a smartass :wink:

there's really no concrete answer to your question though, I've heard people commonly mistake Chlorophyllum molybdites for cubes and get poisoned... they look nothing alike to me.  same deal with galerinas and some of the common PNW psilocybes. so what one person might take by mistake other people would be able to tell was obviously no good.

The only fool-proof way to not get poisoned is to educate yourself on identifying mushrooms or have someone show you exactly what to pick.  I just answered the way I did because telling some people that there are only *insert number here* of poisonous species growing on manure or whatever could give them a false sense of confidence, which can be a dangerous thing to have when it comes to eating wild mushrooms.  Learn what species grow where you live and how to identify them beyond any shadow of a doubt and you'll be fine, psilocybes are actually pretty distinctive if you know what to look for to ID them.  If you get stumped on an ID, post a pic and description (read the sticky thread) here and you'll likely be helped by one of our many helpful resident shroomers :smile: .

DH

OfflineWickedClown
ShRoOmEr

Re: A Question? [Re: spores]
    #2469629 - 03/24/04 10:46 PM (20 years, 8 days ago)

Thanks for a non smartass answer :wink:

Yeah, I was just wondering... I have an experienced hunter with me, we just havnt come accross anything other then cyans and the other ones that look the same... So I was just wondering how can it be so dangerous :smile:

They are pretty easy to spot and tell the difference IMO. An easy strain to identify? Because of my inexperience, I'd be a bit iffy about identifying cubes without my friend with me.

:smile:

InvisibleGumby
Fishnologist
 User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
    #2473762 - 03/25/04 04:39 PM (20 years, 7 days ago)

It highly depends on your level of skill in identifying mushrooms and what type of mushroom you're looking for. There's no real answer to this question.

Offlinedoc34
Fungitarian
Male User Gallery

Loc: Myceliaville !!!
    #2475867 - 03/26/04 04:36 AM (20 years, 7 days ago)

I would consider every mushroom you come across to be deadly poisonous until you are experienced enough to id them.So,post a pic of what you find and it will be identified by one of the experts.I'm still a newbie too and I can id Cubes without error,but,I am still having problems with other mushrooms,so every other mushroom is deadly poisonous(to me anyway)until I can identify the difference.

--------------------

OfflineThe_Red_Crayon
Exposer of Truth
Male User Gallery

Loc: Smokey Mtns. TN Flag
Re: A Question? [Re: doc34]
    #2480954 - 03/29/04 05:48 PM (20 years, 3 days ago)

Many people get sick on blue staining boletes just for the simple fact they show signifigant blueing.

InvisibleGumby
Fishnologist
 User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
Re: A Question? [Re: The_Red_Crayon]
    #2480995 - 03/29/04 06:00 PM (20 years, 3 days ago)

Uh... what? People get sick on them just because they stain blue? That doesn't make any sense.

There are a few edible bluing boletes and the ones that make you sick make you sick because of the chemicals they contain, not the color...

OfflineFloyd_
Stranger

Re: A Question? [Re: Gumby]
    #2481725 - 03/29/04 08:44 PM (20 years, 3 days ago)

i think he means people eat and get sick off of mushrooms that stain blue (specificly boletus) because from what they know all blue staining mushrooms are active so they stick it in their mouth

i'm no expert, and its probably not the best thing to say since there are alot of stupid people around here, but deadly poisonous mushrooms species don't number as many as what is portrayed. Of course its probably a good rule that every mushrooms one encounters should be considered deadly poisonous until it is identified , but most species are inedible/non-fatally poisonous

--------------------
Dimensions

Offlinedoc34
Fungitarian
Male User Gallery

Re: A Question? [Re: Floyd_]
    #2482761 - 03/30/04 04:21 AM (20 years, 3 days ago)

I would hate to know that some people are willing to risk thier lives just because a mushroom turns blue!!!!
I'm terrified to even purchase what people call shrooms cuase I dont know what I'm getting.(would you believe someone when that belief may kill you and not them?)So I studied and I studied and now I can ID a Psilocybe Cubensis just by looking at it(but I dont base my ID on that alone).Just because a mushroom turns blue doesnt mean its safe to eat!There are so many different look-a-likes out there that are deadly poisonous!!
IT ONLY TAKES ONE MISS-IDENTIFIED MUSHROOM TO END YOUR LIFE IN THE MOST HORRIFIC WAY-PROJECTILE VOMITING,LOSS OF BOWEL MOVEMENT AND A SLOWLY DISINTEGRATING LIVER AND DEATH!!!!!!!!

I dont want to scare anyone cause this is my most enjoyable hobby,but please dont eat a mushroom until it is identified!!!

These guy's and girls with the GREEN NAMES are here to help-post your pics of your finds and they will id them for you!If they cant,well,I wouldnt eat it then cause they know what they are doing.

Read the faq on how to give an accurate id and follow those instructions and someone will tell you what you found-if not TOSS IT!
its not worth dyeing for-----IN MY OWN OPINION!!!

--------------------

OfflineMitchnast
Toadmonger
Male User Gallery

Loc: Okanagan Flag
    #2483119 - 03/30/04 08:50 AM (20 years, 3 days ago)

loss of bowel movement? more like acceleration and liquification of bowl movement.

Offlinedoc34
Fungitarian
Male User Gallery

Re: A Question? [Re: Mitchnast]
    #2483173 - 03/30/04 09:25 AM (20 years, 3 days ago)

^^^^^Yeah,what He said!!!!^^^^^^

--------------------

Invisiblemjshroomer
Sage
Loc: gone with my shrooms
    #2483704 - 03/30/04 01:11 PM (20 years, 3 days ago)

The deadly boletes have porus bottoms under the caps and the psilocybian mushrooms have gills.

mj

Invisiblenofind_um
Explorer ofEarth
 User Gallery

Loc: At work, at school, at my...
Re: A Question? [Re: mjshroomer]
    #2484225 - 03/30/04 03:53 PM (20 years, 2 days ago)

this is a no brainer!!!!read, read, read!!!!!!Sorry.....as doc34 stated.... follow the rules or this forum and don't eat anything till ID'ed.....

I can't wait till the season starts here... I'm looking for a new camera!!!!!!!!!

--------------------
My hunting partner is gone, I miss her so!

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom