Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Grow Bags

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinetedoro
ToadStool Tender
Male

What would you do if this happened to you? Grow room mold.
    #24688263 - 10/06/17 12:04 PM (6 years, 5 months ago)

Hi,

I grow cubensis in a warehouse apartment and an old suitcase in the corner got wet and when I opened it, it exploded with black mold into the room. I rushed it outside, but The damage was done... a huge amount of spores flew into the room. I mean a TON.

My procedure: Agar to LI to jars to G2G Bags to Monotubs - using a still air box.

I've gone over the room twice, from ceiling to floor with soapy water. But my contamination rates of black mold is very high.

How would you handle this?

T

--------------------
--------------------
Deep pour soft agar plates-->bags of WBS-->Low Profile Monos
Clean spawn thread | Put a thermometer on your PC

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisiblebodhisattaMDiscordReddit
Smurf real estate agent
 User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Milky way
Trusted Cultivator
Re: What would you do if this happened to you? Grow room mold. [Re: tedoro]
    #24688481 - 10/06/17 01:12 PM (6 years, 5 months ago)

Wash shit with soap and water then back to business.

Offlinetedoro
ToadStool Tender
Male

Re: What would you do if this happened to you? Grow room mold. [Re: bodhisatta]
    #24688861 - 10/06/17 04:11 PM (6 years, 5 months ago)

Cool. I'll keep cleaning til I'm back to normal. I've heard of some people moving their ops after a bad mold bloom. I don't want to do that.

--------------------
--------------------

Offlinetombosley8
Full on... Bossley Baggins
 User Gallery

#24688890 - 10/06/17 04:25 PM (6 years, 5 months ago)

best you can do in the worse case scenarios is wipe all surfaces(I mean all like walls, ceiling, every nook and cranny) with soap and water and then do it again. also carpets can be shampooed and cleaned. This is all only necessary if you have continuously and absent mindedly let copeous amounts of spores release in the house..

Little mold outbreaks that are contained quickly only need a cleaning of the containers it was in with soap and water and be careful to contain as cleanly as possible...

sounds like yours was a pretty big outburst so a good cleaning would be a good idea.

Still in your sab you should rarely be seeing those contams if you are using proper technique.

Is the central ac/heating off while you do sab work?

Is your room drafty? Like small cracks under/around the doors/windows.

are you moving slowly and smoothly in the sab?

what size are your arm holes?

--------------------

Edited by tombosley8 (10/06/17 04:29 PM)

OfflineGaruk
Stranger
Male

Re: What would you do if this happened to you? Grow room mold. [Re: tombosley8] * 1
    #24689354 - 10/06/17 07:13 PM (6 years, 5 months ago)

Flamesterilize the whole Building - the difficulty is where to get such a big lighter :laugh:

--------------------
Beginner or Spinner :laugh:

Offlinetedoro
ToadStool Tender
Male

Re: What would you do if this happened to you? Grow room mold. [Re: Garuk]
    #24693933 - 10/08/17 12:24 PM (6 years, 5 months ago)

I have an SAB that works great with my agar dishes, and has for years. Thats why I think my room is so bad... that an otherwise fine SAB is being tested by too much dirty air around it.

I have 5" holes with plastic sleeves attached. I use extra long rubber gloves.

I am not excited about my grain to grain procedure. When I open the four large rye bags and pull out the tyvek sleeves, I feel like I am rustling the bags around too much. Yes I wipe them down with alcohol, but still, it feels like a lot of stuff moving aound in my little SAB and then I open the whole bag up and fill it with SAB air and pour in colonized grain from a jar thats been wiped down.  It feels like I'm just asking for trouble. And I am getting it. 95% contam rates of green or jet black mold, in 4-10 days.

--------------------
--------------------

Offlinetombosley8
 User Gallery

#24693965 - 10/08/17 12:34 PM (6 years, 5 months ago)

bags and sab don't work. Your not dealing with sterile air so any air you suck into the bag will likely be full of contams.

Also do not attatch sleeves to the holes and maybe use some regular disposable gloves instead of your big rubber gloves.

Those things can cause a lot of turbulence and suck in contam.

Bare arms and gloves wiped with alcohol is your best route in my opinion.

Smooth controlled movements and a drop of soap in water sprayed in the sab are the best things you can do if you've already cleaned the house spic and span.

I think your bulky gloves and attached sleeves are a big problem

I have heard of people doing bags in an sab by injecting through a presealed bag and taping the hole or using a ship on the bag.

That way no air get's sucked in while innoculating. But there might be stunted growth due to lack of air in the bag but the filter patch should supply enough.

also sporeload cause by a contam can be cut down by simply airing the house out daily and cleaning often. Air purifiers can help as well.

Most important thing you can do is to catch contam in the early stages before it can be spread all over the place.

--------------------

Edited by tombosley8 (10/08/17 12:40 PM)

Offlinetedoro
ToadStool Tender
Male

Re: What would you do if this happened to you? Grow room mold. [Re: tombosley8]
    #24702701 - 10/11/17 03:46 PM (6 years, 5 months ago)

I did some control tests this last time. 4 bags of rye. I g2g with two of them using a quart jar of spawn. Then I opened the third bag and filled it with air from the SAB, and nylon tied (like I do with all the bags) and with my last bag, I simply pulled the tyvek sleeve out and tied it off without filling the bag. The last bag is the only one left standing without mold. The bag I didn't nocc up, but did fill with SAB air went bad, but only on the top surface. (attached a photo below of third bag)

Also a photo of my SAB setup. I've used the top part for years for agar work with much success. But I really feel that with all the rustling of bags in this procedure, I'm ending up with a ton of bad hombres in the air. (sorry)

--------------------
--------------------

Offlinetombosley8
 User Gallery

#24702749 - 10/11/17 04:11 PM (6 years, 5 months ago)

I would get a much bigger tote and lose the large gloves and attached sleeves. just use wrist length nylon disposable gloves wiped with alcohol as well as your arms. bare arms wiped with alcohol are as good or better than any sleeve imo.

Just be sure to rewipe your gloves and arms occasionally.

AND DON"T DO BAGS IN A SAB. WON"T WORK! unless injected with a liquid. and I wouldn't recommend that. Stick with jars...

The sleeves being attatched is a big cause of air turbulence is not helping and likely the cause of a lot of your problems.

Everything else looks good. you should check out bod's sab tek for tips on properly using one.

Your setup looks cramped and uncomfortable. I like working through the the front with the arm holes down low so I can sit in a chair. This helps with smooth movements and viewing and for long durations.

and like I said get a big tote like 105 qt or something.

I like how yours is tall but it looks kinda awkward to me especially coming in over the top where anything will fall off your arms down onto your sterile work. gravity is your friend here if you use it right.  You never want to put your hand directly over your plates because of that. so to me working from above is a very bad idea.

--------------------

Edited by tombosley8 (10/11/17 04:13 PM)

InvisibleJosex
#cheat_code
 User Gallery

Loc: Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #24702987 - 10/11/17 05:43 PM (6 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

tedoro said:

Your placed is fucked up already and is gonna keep on being fucked for a long time, but fortunately you can do things to greatly reduce your contamination rate to acceptable levels. Well and the bag in SAB thing... you just gotta quit that for the time being.

One thing I'm positive, anyone telling you that you should rarely see contams using a SAB if your technique is good, most likely has never experienced a full-on mold outbreak at their places. Shit so bad that even blank agar plates (no-pour plates, good seal) contaminate without ever opening them. It's a humbling experience that'll make you get off your high horse if you ever thought your technique was good.

First thing you need to do is ventilate the place. Open every single window for as many hours a day as you can and keep ventilating for as many days as you can.

Now the tedious part, cleaning and bleach bombimg. Bleach is known to neutralize spores but the vapors can make you really sick, so don't be exposed to the bleach for extended times, clean the place in several days if needed.

If you can, get yourself a nice expensive vacuum cleaner with a good filter, I just happened to have one so I used it. Shut up all windows and don't open them again. Trash every thing in the place that can be trashed and move every thing that can be moved to another place. Vacuum the place thoroughly, every single surface you can.

Get yourself 3 or 4 new mops and tons of bleach. Mop up every single surface that can be mopped, walls first, then ceiling and finally the floor. Use cleaning cloth to wipe up every other surface and/or objects.

That made me go from nearly 100% contamination rate with agar to approximately 15%. I ain't no noob with agar, I've done thousands of plates already and my contam rate was virtually zero before this shit happened, so yeah it hurts ma nigga feelins seeing people write that good technique solves it all  :facepalm3:

Edited by Josex (10/11/17 05:53 PM)

Offlinetedoro
ToadStool Tender
Male

Re: What would you do if this happened to you? Grow room mold. [Re: Josex]
    #24703008 - 10/11/17 05:54 PM (6 years, 5 months ago)

Thanks.... I will keep at the cleaning. good to have a voice from experience.

t

--------------------
--------------------

Offlinetedoro
ToadStool Tender
Male

#24704513 - 10/12/17 10:53 AM (6 years, 5 months ago)

Guys, I'm starting to think if I want to do bags, I will need a Laminar Flow hood. Do people agree with this?

There is one method I thought I could employ with my current SAB.... I could put the PC'd bags in the SAB, carefully pull out the tyvek sleeve and seal the bag without filling it with air. then inject LI with a needle, and hang the bag to inflate through the .2 air patch.

--------------------
--------------------

Offlinetombosley8
 User Gallery

#24704710 - 10/12/17 12:23 PM (6 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Josex said:
Quote:

tedoro said:

Your placed is fucked up already and is gonna keep on being fucked for a long time, but fortunately you can do things to greatly reduce your contamination rate to acceptable levels. Well and the bag in SAB thing... you just gotta quit that for the time being.

One thing I'm positive, anyone telling you that you should rarely see contams using a SAB if your technique is good, most likely has never experienced a full-on mold outbreak at their places. Shit so bad that even blank agar plates (no-pour plates, good seal) contaminate without ever opening them. It's a humbling experience that'll make you get off your high horse if you ever thought your technique was good.

First thing you need to do is ventilate the place. Open every single window for as many hours a day as you can and keep ventilating for as many days as you can.

Now the tedious part, cleaning and bleach bombimg. Bleach is known to neutralize spores but the vapors can make you really sick, so don't be exposed to the bleach for extended times, clean the place in several days if needed.

If you can, get yourself a nice expensive vacuum cleaner with a good filter, I just happened to have one so I used it. Shut up all windows and don't open them again. Trash every thing in the place that can be trashed and move every thing that can be moved to another place. Vacuum the place thoroughly, every single surface you can.

Get yourself 3 or 4 new mops and tons of bleach. Mop up every single surface that can be mopped, walls first, then ceiling and finally the floor. Use cleaning cloth to wipe up every other surface and/or objects.

That made me go from nearly 100% contamination rate with agar to approximately 15%. I ain't no noob with agar, I've done thousands of plates already and my contam rate was virtually zero before this shit happened, so yeah it hurts ma nigga feelins seeing people write that good technique solves it all  :facepalm3:

trust me I have dealt with and am dealing with a huge sporeload from my mistakes.
FROM EXPERIENCE I SAY THIS.

Those cleaning techniques are very good and will help tremendously. Bleach is not as needed as you make it seem.
Just wiping all surfaces soap and water will do just as good of a job.I recommend that to any serious grower even without a mold problem. maybe do a light coat of bleach after wiping everything if your really paranoid.

and yeah give up on bags in tha sab. i'll say that for the last time.

Also you could do sab work in a dumpster as long as there are not air currents blowing around.

Still air and technique is the savior of clean mycelium.

I have had similar problems with mold getting into unopened sterilized jars but the mold sporeload is not reason.

That is either lid or filter failure.

I wrap all my jars with saran around the lid so nothing can creep up under the threads and I also use micropore on top of sfd's to help with filtering. Also I have had sfd's wear out over time and a fresh peice or two of micropore over them fixed the problem.
If you are having mold in unopened sterilized jars you should make sure they are not in a drafty area as that can easily cause failing of lids and filters.

also make sure your filters dry within a couple days after removing from pc or the filter will fail.

again cleaning and airing the house out often will cut down on your unwanted sporeload greatly. And making sure to not have any mold growing again.

I have done sab work in the same room with sporing mold and didn't see any mold on my agar due to the air being still.

I had also sprayed soapy water in the air from the top of the room down which probably trapped alot of those spores in the room.

Maybe try that for your next sab trial after cleaning your house as described above.

and again I want to make sure to get this point across...

Quote:

tombosley8 said:
bags and sab don't work. Your not dealing with sterile air so any air you suck into the bag will likely be full of contams.

Also do not attatch sleeves to the holes and maybe use some regular disposable gloves instead of your big rubber gloves.

Those things can cause a lot of turbulence and suck in contam.

Bare arms and gloves wiped with alcohol is your best route in my opinion.

Smooth controlled movements and a drop of soap in water sprayed in the sab are the best things you can do if you've already cleaned the house spic and span.

I think your bulky gloves and attached sleeves are a big problem

I have heard of people doing bags in an sab by injecting through a presealed bag and taping the hole or using a ship on the bag.

That way no air get's sucked in while innoculating. But there might be stunted growth due to lack of air in the bag but the filter patch should supply enough.

also sporeload cause by a contam can be cut down by simply airing the house out daily and cleaning often. Air purifiers can help as well.

Most important thing you can do is to catch contam in the early stages before it can be spread all over the place.

oh yeah and bleach bomb is not effective as what's in the air is not what your trying to clean. You can air the house out easily by opening a window.
what you are cleaning is the surfaces that have accumulated spores and can constantly be spreading them into the air.

bleach bomb doesn't clean surfaces. You must wipe them.

--------------------

Edited by tombosley8 (10/12/17 12:54 PM)

Offlinetedoro
ToadStool Tender
Male

#24704782 - 10/12/17 12:57 PM (6 years, 5 months ago)

Thanks for this. I'll keep at all these things. I noticed that the video that was linked above had a fellow that does very good SAB work. His SAB had short Tyvek sleeves attached to the holes. I assume you dislike that design too... the reason being that the tyvek could be dirty and moving around causing air currents or dirty air...

--------------------
--------------------

Offlinetombosley8
 User Gallery

#24704793 - 10/12/17 01:03 PM (6 years, 5 months ago)

exactly.
moreso the air currents is the problem.
I have noticed a direct contamination vector from attaching tyvek sleeves.

I had been using sterilized tyvek sleeves not attached to the sab up until recently as an extra precaution but I found even their slight bagginess would cause them to brush up against my sab holes and stir the air up more than needed.

also I like being able to wipe my arms throughout a session and tyvek you can't.

I've been going bare armed for a couple months now and have had better success in my sab since. Could be a coincidence but at least I'm sure it didn't hurt anything.

also that being said try to make sure not brush your arms on the holes as you make movements in and out of the sab or you'll be stirring up a bunch of skin particles.

bigger holes are better than smaller also as it's been said there is more of a piston effect created from smaller holes.

Mine are 7" holes. well almost, kinda rough cut.

--------------------

Edited by tombosley8 (10/12/17 02:28 PM)

InvisibleJosex
#cheat_code
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #24705284 - 10/12/17 05:28 PM (6 years, 5 months ago)

My wording was not very good Tom, by bleach bomb I meant wiping all the surfaces with diluted bleach, that's what I always understood by bleach bombing but appartently I got it wrong lol

Of course you can't kill shit in the air by just using bleach, for that the best thing is airing out the place first and then vacuum cleaning, as long as the machine comes with a good filter.

As to the blank plates contaminating, spore load was the reason without a doubt, as I never had this issue before and haven't changed the way I do things or the containers for that matter, these containers were brand new btw. I keep the blank plates in a tote, in a room with no air currents. At least 3 layers of MP tape covering a tiny hole and lids that close tight as hell. After 2 or 3 weeks most of them contaminated.

It will all also depend on how high of a sporeload you have at your place. At the start of this summer I decided to spawn some bacterial jars, enough for 3 tubs. I just said fuck it, it was going to be the last grow before the season got really bussy at work. I did not check in on the tubs until 2 weeks had passed (I do not live where I grow) and when I did, the 3 tubs were all a damn mold fest, completely covered in green. Then thing is that the grow room is very near my SAB room, so that might have something to do.

As for technique, well, as I said before I've done lots of agar without hardly ever seeing mold in my plates, but that was before the disaster. The receiving plates stay open less than a second, and I don't fuck around when I cut the wedge either, it's all done quickly and with precision, so that's the reason I personally think a huge sporeload can really make your SAB work a nightmare, regardless of how still the air is or how good you are. Oh and I also spray soapy water, it's just a ritual I like to do, although I think it doesn't really do much :shrug:

Edited by Josex (10/12/17 06:02 PM)

InvisibleSnazz
Polymath
Male User Gallery

Loc: Canada Flag
    #24705424 - 10/12/17 06:27 PM (6 years, 5 months ago)

Negative ion generator works extremely well at dropping floaties from the air. Then mass bleach as stated

InvisiblemushboyMDiscord
modboy
 User Gallery

Loc: where?
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
    #24705496 - 10/12/17 06:52 PM (6 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

tombosley8 said:
bleach bomb doesn't clean surfaces. You must wipe them

:justdontknow:

Quote:

Josex said:
bleach bomb I meant wiping all the surfaces with diluted bleach

:whathesaid:
hah, what does bosley think it means?

Offlineinternal traveler
Male User Gallery

Re: What would you do if this happened to you? Grow room mold. [Re: mushboy]
    #24705613 - 10/12/17 07:48 PM (6 years, 5 months ago)

Catch the room on fire... that should take care of the mold problem.

Disclaimer... don't catch your fucking room on fire

--------------------
http://www.mushroomvideos.com/

InvisibleJosex
#cheat_code
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: What would you do if this happened to you? Grow room mold. [Re: Snazz]
    #24705652 - 10/12/17 08:07 PM (6 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Snazz said:
Negative ion generator works extremely well at dropping floaties from the air. Then mass bleach as stated

Oh shit I just googled that and it looks pretty promising, they're really cheap too. Gonna get one asap. Thanks dude!

InvisibleSnazz
Polymath
Male User Gallery

Loc: Canada Flag
    #24706025 - 10/12/17 10:50 PM (6 years, 5 months ago)

:hi5:

Offlinetombosley8
 User Gallery

Re: What would you do if this happened to you? Grow room mold. [Re: Snazz]
    #24706182 - 10/13/17 12:36 AM (6 years, 5 months ago)

what kind of containers are you using josex?

and Yeah I figured a bleach bomb was somehow similar to a bug bomb which surely emits a poison into the air.

--------------------

Edited by tombosley8 (10/13/17 12:37 PM)

Offlinetedoro
ToadStool Tender
Male

#24716311 - 10/17/17 10:33 AM (6 years, 5 months ago)

As a side note, I'm giving "Bags in a Still air box" one last try... before I sink money into a Laminar Flow Hood.

1) I PC'd four large bags with tyvek sleeves.
2) I put my vacuum sealer in my SAB
3) I carefully pulled the sleeve out and sealed the bag without letting much air in
4) I hung the bags to inflate them
5) I nocced them up with LI from a syringe and taped it

Might work. I'll keep you posted.

--------------------
--------------------

Offlinetombosley8
 User Gallery

#24716356 - 10/17/17 10:54 AM (6 years, 5 months ago)

you could probobly preseal the bags before pcing and inflate as you did.

that way you're removing the vector when pulling the tyvek and sealing.

and no tvek sleeve needed.

My bags are the larger micron filter patches though and I don't know if the .2 filters are presealable.

--------------------

Edited by tombosley8 (10/17/17 10:56 AM)

Offlinetedoro
ToadStool Tender
Male

#24716419 - 10/17/17 11:14 AM (6 years, 5 months ago)

So,

I've been trying that method for the past 2 years... had problems with bacteria.

I used .5 bags. Presealed, Prepped my grain too wet (I now realize that if you slowly simmer them you can overcook them without bursting them, and no air drying will fix it)

I switched to .2 (which most people agree can't be pre-sealed. So this is where I've arrived.

--------------------
--------------------

Invisibleteknix
𓂀⟁𓅢𓍝𓅃𓊰𓉡 𓁼𓆗⨻
 User Gallery

#24716458 - 10/17/17 11:27 AM (6 years, 5 months ago)

If I had a huge spore bloom I would definitely decontam the room the box and everything else with lysol, wiping bleach won't get rid of the air born spores. Lysol is fine as long as it doesn't contact your mycelium or spores.

Offlinetombosley8
 User Gallery

#24716632 - 10/17/17 12:23 PM (6 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

tedoro said:
So,

I've been trying that method for the past 2 years... had problems with bacteria.

I used .5 bags. Presealed, Prepped my grain too wet (I now realize that if you slowly simmer them you can overcook them without bursting them, and no air drying will fix it)

I switched to .2 (which most people agree can't be pre-sealed. So this is where I've arrived.

I have read someone say they used them with success, I think pirateswazey or some member I haven't seen in a while.

I would try it if I were you and see side by side how it goes.

Also you should keep test bags uninoculated as a control and to make sure your removing of the sleeve isn't the cause of contam.

--------------------

Edited by tombosley8 (10/17/17 12:42 PM)

Offlinetedoro
ToadStool Tender
Male

#24716677 - 10/17/17 12:39 PM (6 years, 5 months ago)

I did a single test bag of pulling the sleeve in the SAB and its the only bag that hasn't contamed, going on a few weeks. So I'm feeling pretty good.

--------------------
--------------------

Offlinetombosley8
 User Gallery

#24716690 - 10/17/17 12:42 PM (6 years, 5 months ago)

kool. I meant uninoculated but you got what I meant. ^*edited

Sounds like your on the right track then.

:headbang::hatsoff:

--------------------

Invisiblenatedawgnow
Rocky mountain hood rat
 User Gallery

Loc: ation
Trusted Cultivator
    #24716990 - 10/17/17 02:28 PM (6 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Josex said:
Quote:

Snazz said:

Oh shit I just googled that and it looks pretty promising, they're really cheap too. Gonna get one asap. Thanks dude!

No joke I just bought one :lol:

Gotta get one that doesn't produce any ozone or at least one that produces less than the cdc recommended ppm.

--------------------

InvisibleJosex
#cheat_code
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: What would you do if this happened to you? Grow room mold. [Re: natedawgnow]
    #24717032 - 10/17/17 02:45 PM (6 years, 5 months ago)

Nice! I can't buy anything till my new credit card arrives, it's taking forever...

Tom, there's a recent thread were you posted, I think is called something like "alternatives to petris". I posted what I use there, they're awesome. For the record, blank plates using glad mini rounds contaminated even faster, lids wrapped in foil and paper towels covering the filter, shit was insane.

I know it's hard to believe, I'm just a random guy posting on the internet, you just gotta live it to believe it.

Offlinetedoro
ToadStool Tender
Male

#24717054 - 10/17/17 02:57 PM (6 years, 5 months ago)

yeah, it was not inocculated. just sealed it up.

--------------------
--------------------

Offlinetombosley8
 User Gallery

#24717060 - 10/17/17 03:03 PM (6 years, 5 months ago)

thanks josex this discussion was definitely a learning experience and I do believe you.

Posting these experiences is very important to the community and to our learning process.

even if it is rare one,

It's hard to learn without experiencing it first hand like you said but your input really makes the difference and the effort to make your point. thanks again. Wasn't trying to discredit you

really wish you the best josex, have you gotten through most of your problems with the new lids?

And to get back to the op,

hows the cleaning going Tedoro?

Quote:

tedoro said:
yeah, it was not inocculated. just sealed it up.

:thumbup:

--------------------

Edited by tombosley8 (10/17/17 03:04 PM)

Offlinetedoro
ToadStool Tender
Male

#24717089 - 10/17/17 03:19 PM (6 years, 5 months ago)

Man, its hard cleaning... I live in a warehouse, this particular room is over 500 square feet. My closet, office, bed, file cabinets are all in here.

On the other hand, I have 10 jars and 4 big bags exploding with healthy little mycelia grains from getting nocced up with LI a few days back. I'm feeling optimistic.

But boy, its been a long road. My grows have been poor, since I switched to bags. Then I was shown on this forum how to spot bacterial growth in my bags as they colonize. (it was more subtle than I originally thought)

So now I've been obsessed with how to grow out a bag without competing contaminations.

I realize now, in hindsight, that my grain prep was mostly to blame. When one simmers 32 dry cups rye in 4 gallons of water, it gets hydrated at a slower rate than a smaller amount. I was following instructions, but my grains were way over saturated. Then I added LI to that... worsening it. Bacteria every time. I'm hip now, Hell I even made a bag too dry.... the mycelia wouldn't even jump over to it! Ha! Now I know the range.

phew.

--------------------
--------------------

InvisibleJosex
#cheat_code
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: What would you do if this happened to you? Grow room mold. [Re: tedoro] * 1
    #24773170 - 11/10/17 08:51 AM (6 years, 4 months ago)

Hey I've got a couple of things to say that OP might find interesting.

Turns out that cleaning up a place after a mold outbreak might not be as hard as I made it to be. I don't like spreading inaccurate info if I can help it, so I'll explain what happened to me.

There's a patio I have, it's not even a patio since it's an apartment, but I just don't know the name in English. In Spanish we say "ojo patio" (eye patio) and it looks something like this:

I'm the only one who has access to it since I live on the first floor.
I very very rarely enter the patio but when I did the other day there was a towel on the floor that must have dropped from a neighbour's clothes line on a windy day. The thing was wet af and totally green with mold and it looked like it had been there for a long time.
One of the windows of the patio communicates directly with a bathroom next to my SAB room and the window is not air tight at all cos it's old.

At first my mold problem was obviously caused by those moldy tubs, but when I cleaned up the place the way I mentioned a few posts back, all got back to normal and then it started again after a while and I didn't get why... it was the fucking towel all along lol

On another note, I bought a Negative Ion generator and it works like a charm. It even kills smells, it's totally silent, no filter and BS. If you smoke near the unit the smoke will hang in the air at first but it desintegrates into nothing in a couple of minutes, shit's incredible. No more mold problem btw, I highly recommend getting one of these if you're having mold issues. And also, always look for possible sources of mold in your house, if cleaning and airing out did not solve the problem entirely.

Offlinekrypto2000
Unknown

#24773321 - 11/10/17 10:05 AM (6 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Josex said:

If you are getting contaminated no pour plates without opening them then you either don't have a good seal or it was never sterile to begin with. You should be able to incubate those in a pile of mold spores and not have an issue.

InvisibleJosex
#cheat_code
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: What would you do if this happened to you? Grow room mold. [Re: krypto2000]
    #24773374 - 11/10/17 10:30 AM (6 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

krypto2000 said:
Quote:

Josex said:

If you are getting contaminated no pour plates without opening them then you either don't have a good seal or it was never sterile to begin with.

They seal well enough that if you have a regular spore load at your place they won't ever contaminate if you don't open them. The only way to convince you about the seal being good is by showing you in person, which is not possible. The same goes for glad mini rounds, they also contaminated. The lesson I took away from this is that pp5 containers with snap-on lids are not 100% safe in extreme situations. And I think I know how to sterilize my agar man... it would have contaminated with bacteria, not with mold, if they weren't sufficiently sterilized.

Quote:

krypto2000 said:
You should be able to incubate those in a pile of mold spores and not have an issue.

Lol haha you think? you must be a boss then. I certainly would like to see you in the same situation I had.
Even doing a procedure as simple and fast as the following got me some moldy plates:
Quote:

• Take the culture you want to test and poke it with the needle to take a biopsy.
  • Squirt a little of water from the syringe into a blank agar plate.
  • The biopsy tissue can take from 3 to 5 days to show growth on agar. Until then, the only thing you should see on the plate is the clean water you squirted, providing the culture was clean.
  • Let the test plate grow out.
  • If the test proved negative, use this clean test plate to inoculate your LC.

Just barely cracking the lid of the container for one second and still some plates contaminated.

Offlinekrypto2000
Unknown

#24773401 - 11/10/17 10:44 AM (6 years, 4 months ago)

You just said yourself that "the pp5 lids must not be 100% safe" meaning they must not make an air tight seal, so you're not disagreeing with me then. I said either the seal is bad or your technique is; I mean what's the alternative, spores are tunneling through the plastic walls of the containers? :shrug:

edit: And if that is the case I would not use those containers anymore regardless how clean your place is. Sterile technique really should not rely on ambient spore load, that is at the bottom of the list for concerns. If you are getting contaminants because of 'ambient spore load' then that means you're getting contaminants when the place is 'clean' as well unless you're working in a literal sterile room, you're just getting less of them.

Edited by krypto2000 (11/10/17 10:47 AM)

InvisibleJosex
#cheat_code
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: What would you do if this happened to you? Grow room mold. [Re: krypto2000]
    #24773412 - 11/10/17 10:50 AM (6 years, 4 months ago)

They def aren't 100% safe if they contaminated while they were stored in a tote without opening them. And I doubt it would be filter failure because I drill a tiny hole covered with at least 3 layers of mp tape.
But anyway, that is just a thing of the past as I no longer have a mold problem, so fuck it. :cool:

Offlinetedoro
ToadStool Tender
Male

#24773493 - 11/10/17 11:32 AM (6 years, 4 months ago)

Yes! Thats quite a story. I was devastated when I found my mold outbreak. Mine was HUGE. Like a solid cup of mold. It went everywhere.

I'm super interested in the ionizer. Is there any health risk if the ions get too high? Is that a thing?

--------------------
--------------------

InvisibleJosex
#cheat_code
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #24773578 - 11/10/17 11:59 AM (6 years, 4 months ago)

It produces some ozone but at safe levels, very little. People usually buy them to help them with resporatory issues, like allergies and asthma, or simply to purify the air or eliminate smells from a room.
It "charges" spores in the air so they drop to the ground where they can be removed by regular cleaning.

Offlinetombosley8
 User Gallery

#24773590 - 11/10/17 12:03 PM (6 years, 4 months ago)

I have two large units like that to cut down on dust, smoke, pet dander, and mold spores. Keepsa your house nice and fresh smelling and less dust.

--------------------

Offlinekrypto2000
Unknown

#24773699 - 11/10/17 12:48 PM (6 years, 4 months ago)

They'll probably just get the munchies and binge on protons.

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3  [ show all ]

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Grow Bags